Chapter One

A Kiss in the Afternoon: A Sequel/Prequel to A Walk in the Night

“Eomma!” Jooheon calls, his voice heightened by panic. He runs into his parents’ room. Minhyuk straightens up with a start, almost throwing his art supplies to the side at seeing his beloved son in such a frenzy.

“Jooheonney?” he asks worriedly. “What is it?” Hyungwon appears behind his younger brother, smirking over at their father.

“He kissed Changkyun,” Hyungwon explains bluntly, earning a cry of protest from Jooheon. Minhyuk gasps sharply, mouth dropping open.

“Hyung!” Jooheon protests, eyes growing doleful. Hyungwon only laughs, shaking his head as he leaves the party to finish up some homework. Calculus has really been kicking his lately.

“Jooheonney,” Minhyuk sighs, doing his best to not laugh as he pats a clear space next to him. Jooheon dutifully scurries over to his father’s side, rubbing at his fact anxiously. “First, why did you kiss Changkyun-ah? Did it come up in conversation, or…?”

“It was completely out of the blue!” Jooheon nearly moans through his hands, replaying the scene over and over in his mind. “We were just talking about schoolwork, and he was being so cute just sitting there, and next thing I know I’m kissing him… I didn’t even give him a chance to say anything, either. God, I’m such a chicken. I just apologized and left!” Minhyuk chuckles fondly, pulling his son close to console him.

“Don’t worry,” Minhyuk tells him gently, “you know that Changkyunnie’s had a crush on you since you were small… I’m sure he didn’t mind it. But, you need to talk to him about it, and soon. You can’t just let the awkwardness fester until neither of you can stand it anymore. That kind of thing will either make or break you.” Jooheon nods, heaving a calming breath.

“I’ll go over and talk to him tomorrow about it,” Jooheon decides, pulling away to smile gratefully at his father. “Thank you, Eomma. You’re the best.” Minhyuk coos, pulling his son close again at sighting the boy’s incredibly adorable dimples. He squeezes Jooheon’s head, snuggling him close. Jooheon yelps out in protest, trying to pull away, but that only serves to worsen the hold.

A fond, familiar chuckle causes Minhyuk to pause and glance over at the doorway, an impossibly wide smile coming to his face at seeing his husband watching them.

“Yeobo!” Minhyuk exclaims, releasing their son and propelling himself into Hyunwoo’s arms. He pauses for a moment, humming in delight as Hyunwoo immediately wraps his arms around the younger. “You’ll never believe what our son did today. He finally made his move on Kukkungie!”

Hyunwoo’s eyebrows shoot up, almost disappearing into his hairline as his widened eyes shoot over to the groaning adolescent. Jooheon attempt to smothers himself in the pillows near him, hoping to just hide forever from the day.

“Do we…” Hyunwoo mumbles, at a struggle for the right words. “Do we need to… um… have the talk?” Jooheon merely groans again, wrapping himself up in a cocoon of blankets to hide from the never ending embarrassment. Minhyuk laughs at their son’s reaction, shaking his head.

“No, dear husband,” Minhyuk sighs, “I had that talk with Wonnie and Jooheonney a couple of years ago.” Hyunwoo ripples at this, frowning.

“Why wasn't I there?”

“You were at work,” Minhyuk shrugs, “and it was kind of unavoidable. Wonnie was talking about all these urges he was having concerning a boy in his dance class, and I couldn't just leave it be. So, I just pulled over the car and gave them the talk.”

“On the side of the road?” Hyunwoo asks, bemused at the mental image. It'd be just like his husband to do such a thing. Minhyuk nods, a delighted smile coming to him at the light dancing in the older’s eyes. God, he loves this man.

“I'm gonna go bury myself in my blankets for the next fifty years,” Jooheon announces, deciding he's officially done with his parents. Memories of that afternoon come to the forefront of his mind, and he has to shake his head to get them out. That was one traumatic afternoon he most definitely doesn't want to revisit… ever.

The two men watch their child sullenly leave the room, Minhyuk chuckling knowingly. Hyunwoo hums, kissing Minhyuk's forehead before going to their closet to get a change of clothes.

“So, Jooheonney’s taken care of now,” Hyunwoo murmurs, chuckling at his own wording. He's not one to think that you need to marry off your kids or anything, but he does want them to find that special kind of love he's been lucky enough to find with his husband. Ever since they were infants, it's been easy to tell Jooheon would find that with Changkyun. “All that's left is Wonnie.” Minhyuk jumps back onto the bed, his boundless energy ebbing off him in waves.

“Reminds me of how we started dating,” he says wistfully, staring up at the ceiling. Hyunwoo turns, having made quick work of his wardrobe change, and crawls onto the bed. He pulls Minhyuk towards him, snuggling the younger close.

“All that seems like a lifetime ago,” he murmurs, kissing Minhyuk's shoulder. Minhyuk hums in agreement. He turns on his side to wrap his arms tightly around Hyunwoo's waist, burying his head in his shirt.

“It's weird to think of sometimes,” Minhyuk says softly. “To think that once you were completely ready to marry a different man, our next-door neighbor at that… I'm glad you didn't.” Hyunwoo chuckles, his grip tightening around his personal ray of sunshine.

“Me too, yaja,” he assures him, “me too.” He knows well Minhyuk's insecurities about his past relationship with Kihyun, despite them having been together for so long. He can understand, so he slowly begins to rub consoling visceral at the base of Minhyuk's back. That had been a torrent relationship for everyone involved, wrecking both their lives and the lives of their friends.

Breaking up with Kihyun was probably the best thing he'd ever done, no offense to the shorter. He's very happy with how healthy of a relationship Kihyun has built with Hoseok over the years. Sure, sometimes Hyunwoo wonders why it was Hoseok the that managed to help Kihyun through his depression so easily while Hyunwoo never could, but maybe it just wasn't meant to be. No, he's certain it wasn't meant to be, because Minhyuk has proven to be his soul mate time and time again.

“Come on,” Minhyuk suddenly says, kissing Hyunwoo's cheek before pulling away. “We should get up. I need to start prepping for dinner, and I'll fall asleep if we keep on like this.”

“Have you not been sleeping well?” Hyunwoo asks concernedly. It isn't like Minhyuk to take random naps, no matter how comfortable he gets. Minhyuk chuckles, shaking his head.

“No,” he answers, his eyes crinkling at the corners because of his wide smile, “I’m just getting old.” Hyunwoo laughs, too, noting surprisedly the smile wrinkles on the younger’s face. How long had those been there? Only a moment ago he looked the same as he did in college…

“You look the same as ever to me, yeobo,” Hyunwoo says truthfully, a Buddha-like smile coming to him. Minhyuk coos, grabbing Hyunwoo's face and kissing him fully on the lips.

“I love you,” he says, his voice a mere whisper. Hyunwoo kisses Minhyuk back, his eyes becoming mere crescents due to his wide smile.

“I love you, too.”