chapter 1.

Beating Heart

Nayoung doesn't know when her eyes started searching for him all the time, when her heart started ramping against her chest whenever he's around. Nayoung finds it stupid. She doesn't even know who he is, except that she sees him around every Monday and Thursday for their Calculus lectures. Time and Cupid are the only culprits for her current feelings. 

"Nayoung ah!" she turns around to the call of her name. "You didn't tell me you're here," Haebin frowns a little walking towards her. 

"Sorry," Nayoung plainly answers, "my legs carried me here while my thoughts carried me away."

"Okay, quite funny," Haebin responses with a likeness in tone, before cracking up. Nayoung laughs a little but Haebin notices that it isn't her usual laughter. 

"I waited in the canteen for you until I gave up because the lecture was starting anyway," Haebin says as she settles herself down on the seat beside Nayoung's. 

Nayoung is about to answer Haebin, but her attention is snatched away by a familiar figure at the entrance of the lecture theatre that once again sends her heart beating wildly. She turns immediately to the door, her eyes landing on the very person they were always searching for. 

"Ah, Han Sanghyuk ssi, he isn't late today," Haebin comments from her side and laughs a little. Nayoung stays in a daze and does not answer. Wait, she pauses her thoughts, so that's his name? 

"Do you know him?" Nayoung turns back to Haebin with a question. 

Haebin shakes her head, "Not particularly, just that we take similar elective subjects," she answers. "And he's late sometimes especially if it's the first lecture of the day, so he gets called out pretty often."

Nayoung puzzles over why she's never realised. "Omo, he has your surname," she adds and they chuckle a little.

"He's nice though," Haebin adds. 

"How do you know?" Nayoung asks again. 

"We've interacted a few times before, just casual interactions like picking up my pen when I drop it or passing lecture notes around," Haebin explains. Nayoung's lips curve into a small smile without her knowing. 

"Talking about me?" Nayoung swiftly turns around hearing the voice, with her hair almost flying into Haebin's face. She freezes again when her eyes land on him for a second time that morning.

"No, I mean-" Haebin attempts to explain, slightly stuttering, while Nayoung remains still. 

He laughs. Nayoung feels her heart drop at the sound of his laughter flowing to her ears like music. She rolls her eyes and sighs upon realisation of her reaction, silently wishing she could hit herself for always behaving in ways she cannot understand when it comes to him.

"It's okay, I was joking," he says next. "Is this seat empty?" he then asks.

Nayoung's eyes trailed to where he has placed his bag on and realises that it is the seat right beside her. Her eyes widen immediately. 

Haebin nudges Nayoung, jutting her out of her daze. "Ah," she looks up, "it's empty. You can sit here."

He grins. Nayoung almost dies. "Thank you," he mumbles.

"Nice to meet you," he says after taking his seat. "I'm Sanghyuk, Han Sanghyuk," he says with a hand stretched out.

"I-I'm Nayoung, nice to meet you too," she manages to stutter a reply while reciprocating the handshake, trying very hard to ignore her heart that is heavily beating against her ribs.

"You're Haebin ssi, right?" he bends over Nayoung to ask. "Architecture major," he adds.

"Yeah," Haebin nods with a soft smile, "We've met before."

"Nayoung ssi, what's your major?" he then reverts his attention back to Nayoung, startling her.

"Applied mathematics," she answers and pushes the corners of her lips for a forced smile. "You?" she somehow manages to ask.

"Wow, why would you study that?" he chuckles, "I major in mechanical engineering," Sanghyuk replies with a smile.

"Nayoung really loves math. She's crazy," Haebin answers in her place. Nayoung would usually hit them when her friends speak of her this way, but today she agrees with Haebin's last two words: she's crazy for feeling this way for a boy she doesn't even know.

"Han Sanghyuk ssi, you're here early," the three heads turn to the front with the entrance of the lecturer.

Sanghyuk releases an awkward laughter while scratching the back of his head.

As the lecture begins, Nayoung seems to be in her own world, worrying about the racing heart that was heavily pounding inside her.

 

My writing kinda right now because I haven't written in a long while... I'm sorry