final.

Vanilla and Peaches
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  

Mina isn’t someone Momo can read easily. They’ve spent no shorter than 3 years together as roommates – Sana having moved into Dahyun’s apartment halfway through the second year – and Momo still can’t tell what Mina is thinking sometimes. It’s not that Momo wants to know every single thing that the younger is thinking about. It’s just that, sometimes, Momo would like some assurance that she didn’t mess up miserably and made the girl upset. Sana had visited earlier – Dahyun had classes, and Sana doesn’t like being home alone – and left just a little after six thirty after Dahyun had come to pick her up, with a few takeout dishes in hand as requested by Momo. (They live in the apartment building just three blocks away, and Momo knows that they could really just hang out in their apartment until they have to go. But Momo lets them leave anyway.)

 

Momo figures the apartment is a little too big for just two people, and Sana had always made a big presence wherever she went in the house when she was still living here. But the couch had always been a tight squeeze with the three of them – it’s a two seater – and Momo still feels a little too free when she doesn’t feel either Mina or Sana, or sometimes both, when she decides to sit in the middle, pressed against her sides.

 

Momo shifts slightly, leaning against the arm rest as she takes her eyes off Mina. She’d been trying to figure out if she’d said something wrong earlier, since Mina hadn’t spoken since Sana left and had taken to re-reading the second installment of the Harry Potter series. Though, her mind blanks, as she strains her eyes to observe any indication of negativity from the younger, and she sighs. After finishing her second bowl of jajangmyeon and discarding the packaging, Momo returns to her position next to Mina and against the armrest, scrolling through her phone.

 

It’s a little on the warmer side of the weather today, now that they’re heading into summer. So Momo is genuinely shocked when she feels the couch shift as Mina does, and Momo ends up staring down at Mina’s head on her lap. Mina’s legs are hanging from the couch in a slightly awkward manner, so it should be less than comfortable added with the warm weather outside. But Momo doesn’t have the heart to question Mina when the girl turns flips a page, humming softly under her breath. If anything, Momo’s just glad that this is at least a positive indication that Mina isn’t upset. She returns to mindlessly scrolling on her phone, ignoring the weight of Mina’s head on her thighs.

 

“What do you think you’ll smell if you’d gotten a Love Potion?”

 

Momo looks down from her phone and sees Mina’s eyes staring up at her curiously, thumb used as a bookmark. Momo’s watched all the Harry Potter films at least once, though Momo couldn’t bother to read the entire series when Mina had told her to, so she’s somewhat aware of what Mina’s asking. Momo scrunches her nose, thinking for awhile as she stares at the mole on Mina’s nose then the one right at the top of her lips.

 

And she finds herself thinking: What does Mina remind me of?

 

She stares down at Mina again, finds that Mina reminds her of the expensive floral perfume Mina wears, the lingering smell of Mina’s vanilla shampoo when Momo gets into the shower after Mina and the smell of the fresh fabric conditioner they share.

 

“I think I’d smell the humid air of a practice room after an intense session,” Mina starts, staring up at Momo with a blank expression, “The smell of peach-scented shampoo and the blankets after we take them out of the dryer.”

 

Momo blinks, once, twice, and she sees Mina smiling wryly for a moment before the girl gets up, barely avoiding a hard collision between her head and starts walking towards their shared bedroom, “I’m going to bed.”

 

Momo takes a moment, thinks for a fleeting second if her shampoo still is peach-scented and realizes that it is. But she shakes it off, anyone could be using peach-scented shampoo anyway.

 

(She doesn’t realize that it’s really only a little after 8, and it’s way too early for Mina to be sleeping.)

 

*

 

“You’re one oblivious person, Moguri,” Sana snorts as she steps into the dance studio when Momo finally finishes the freestyle routine.

 

Momo raises her eyebrows in confusion, catching the bottle of water that Sana tosses over to her as she pants, looking away from the mirror, “What’re you doing here?”

 

Sana shrugs, walking over to the laptop in the corner of the dance studio when the next song on Momo’s playlist automatically plays to shut it off, “Dahyun’s spending the day with Chaeyoung. I had nothing to do, so I came over.”

 

Momo hums, setting the water bottle against the mirror and stepping back, staring down at herself when she stands midway from the mirror and the mirror behind her. She sees Sana staring, something with disappointment written in her eyes, but Momo shakes it away, staring back at herself again.

 

She’s always been better at reading Sana than Mina, in any case. She’s known Sana for long enough – they lived together for two years before Mina joined – and they’ve always had somewhat similar thinking. They connected well, and they’ve been best

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter