Chapter One

Don't be Afraid

“Honestly, hyung,” Kihyun tells the older, rolling his eyes as he inspects the empty fridge. “When's the last time you've eaten?”

“I'm not hungry, Kihyunnie,” Hoseok whines from the couch. He stares dully at the ramyeon his dongsaeng had cooked for him upon arriving, aka the last ramyeon in the apartment. He had tried eating it, he really had, but he just couldn't bring himself to. So now it just sits, growing colder by the second.

Kihyun returns to the living room, frowning in concern at seeing the untouched ramyeon. He holds a hand to Hoseok's forehead, checking for fever, and pulls back confusedly when there is none. In fact, his hyung actually feels a bit colder than usual.

“You've been acting weird ever since you got bitten by that dude in the club last week,” Kihyun points out. “You haven't even been outside in days.”

“I've been outside,” Hoseok argues, pouting. “It's just been at night…” Kihyun hums, unimpressed by the defense.

“Come on, hyung,” he says, grabbing the older roughly by the arm and dragging him up off the couch. Hoseok notes halfheartedly how strong Kihyun has gotten. Of course, it could very well be because Hoseok has been getting weaker since that encounter at the club.

What a weirdo, Hoseok thinks as he remembers the guy from the alleyway. They had been making out, and everything was going great… Well, as great as it could be when it came to emotionless one-night stands. He's done many of them lately, trying to get over a bad breakup, and this guy would've merely been another notch in the belt. That is, before he started getting all weird. He had bitten Hoseok, which granted would've been kind of hot, if the guy hadn't have started literally drinking his blood.

Hoseok shakes his head, trying to free it of the weird memories, and refocuses his attention on his nagging dongsaeng.

“Where are we going?” Hoseok mumbles, leaning against Kihyun. He breathes in the younger's scent, it causing his heart to accelerate. He makes a mental note to figure out what cologne the younger could be wearing later, because god does it smell divine.

“I'm taking you to a café,” Kihyun answers, reaching towards the table by the door for Hoseok's keys. “We're going to get some coffee and pastries into you, and then we're going to the store. Then, when we get back, I’m making us dinner. I'm not leaving you alone again until I'm sure you've gotten enough food into you, hyung.”

Hoseok chuckles at Kihyun's concern, and stops walking along to pull the younger into a tight embrace.

“Thank you, Kihyunnie,” he mumbles, nuzzling into Kihyun's neck. He's apparently put on a lot of the scent in this particular spot, judging by how strong it's gotten. “I don't know what I’d do without you…”

“Probably starve to death,” Kihyun jokes, hugging Hoseok back. Hoseok chuckles at the joke, though it's halfhearted. This fragrance, whatever it is, is intoxicating. Hoseok inhales deeply, his mouth almost watering. He squeezes his eyes shut, pulling away to be clear his mind. Kihyun watches him with a bemused expression, clicking his tongue. “Now, now, hyung,” he says teasingly, “don't pick now of all times to make a move when I finally have someone.”

Hoseok laughs, throwing an arm around Kihyun's shoulders and semi-leaning against him again.

“No worries,” he tells his dongsaeng. “I wouldn't dream of messing up your relationship with Kkungie. You two are so cute together, I can barely even stand it.” Kihyun yelps out a laugh, shaking his head at the older, and leads them from the apartment.

 

At the café, Kihyun orders for the both of them. As he speaks to the waiter, pointing out different items on the menu, Hoseok takes in his appearance. He's clearly been on a date recently, judging by his outfit. He's wearing nothing more than ripped black skinny jeans and a white shirt with the first three buttons undone to show off his collarbone. His eyeliner seems a bit smudged, though, and his clothes a bit rumpled. Hoseok smirks, rolling his eyes at how typical the younger can be sometimes. He's even got his dark brown hair pushed back. He swears, Kihyun could be an idol with these kinds of looks up his sleeve, not to mention his singing. But, Kihyun decided to go into photography instead, and he missed his opportunity to be a trainee when he had it.

“What're you staring at?” Kihyun asks, a smirk coming to his lips.

“How'd your date with Kkungie go?” Hoseok asks in return, waggling a brow jokingly. Kihyun exhales an amused breath through his pursed lips, glancing down at his attire.

“How was I supposed to know a simple visit would turn into a full day of nagging?” Kihyun fires back. “I would've changed had I known.”

“More to the point,” Hoseok continues, ignoring the younger's words, “how'd the night after go?” Kihyun chuckles, shaking his head as he looks down at his own clothes again, seeing they’re a bit crumpled up in places.

“Aish,” he sighs out, “how are you so observant even though you haven't eaten anything in days?” He laughs again, pausing to thank the waiter as he brings them their order.

“So?” Hoseok prompts, waving at the younger to go on. “Was last night the deal-breaker or the deal-maker?”

“Well,” Kihyun says, a fond smile coming to him, “we didn't have , since that's what I assume you're asking about. We just talked. He fell asleep after a couple hours, and it was so late I didn't bother going home, and crashed there.” Hoseok notes the delighted light in Kihyun's eyes as he stares at his coffee, as if seeing Changkyun's face in the brown liquid. He coos, reaching forward to squeeze Kihyun's hand.

“That's even better than ,” Hoseok comments, a congratulatory tone in his voice. “I'm so happy for you!” Kihyun chuckles, rolling his eyes at his hyung.

“You're so sentimental sometimes,” he comments, though he doesn't argue with Hoseok's words. Hoseok laughs under his breath, pulling back to hold onto his cup with both hands. He drinks the beverage, nearly choking on it. He coughs, placing the cup back on the table. Something about the taste is… disgustingly off. He his lips, deciding to move onto the pastries to try and get the taste out of his mouth. He tears off a piece and pops it into his mouth, and ends up having to choke it down.

“Everything okay, hyung?” Kihyun asks concernedly, watching the older’s obvious struggle. He's never been good at controlling his expressions, thankfully. Hoseok hums, trying a different pastry.

“I don't know…” he mumbles. “Maybe I really am sick, because none of this is tasting right…”

“But you don't have a fever,” Kihyun says, remembering his lack of a temperature from before. He pauses, adding worriedly, “Maybe we should be going to the doctor instead of the store…”

Hoseok shakes his head adamantly, scowling at the mention of a doctor.

“It's not that bad yet,” he defends. “I'm sure after a good night’s rest and a fresh pot of your kimchi stew I'll be right as rain.”

Kihyun hums, smiling at the older’s sweet words. Something tells him he should drag Hoseok to the doctor whether or not he actually wants to go, but he fights it. Hoseok's hated the whole medical profession ever since they failed to save his father’s life, so if he can avoid it he will.

“If you don't get better soon,” Kihyun says almost threateningly, “then I'm taking you, no matter what you say.” Hoseok hums, nodding understandingly. He then returns to the food, dedicated to choke down whatever's set before him. Not because he's actually hungry or anything, but because he doesn't want to make the younger worry any more today.