Final

No Good Deed

Monday morning, and he brings her coffee at dance practice.

She thanks him and hums appreciatively at the first sip of caffeinated goodness.

J.Seph shrugs as if it was no big deal (it wasn’t, because he bought coffee for all of them—himself included) and goes to a corner of the room to start stretching.

A few minutes later, Somin comes over, having been drawn by the smell of chocolate from Jiwoo’s cup. She lets Somin have a sip, which isn’t weird because they share food all the time, and asks for a sip of her coffee in return.

Somin pouts and says hers is just regular coffee, and BM’s too but J.Seph got Jiwoo mocha, for some reason. Maybe because he only managed to remember her favorite?

But Somin really loves chocolate too, so that doesn’t make sense. Jiwoo tries to tell herself it’s no big deal (it isn’t, because it’s just a few bucks difference) and ignores the warmth in her belly that had nothing to do with the chocolate.  

Wednesday evening, and Jiwoo cancels dinner with the rest because she was feeling ‘under the weather’. Only Somin gets it, and covers for her to the guys.

Still, someone rings her doorbell anyway and Jiwoo grumbles as she forces herself out of bed to let J.Seph in.

“Oppa, what are you doing here?” She asks out of habit than anything—the guys would drop by often just to hang out, but she felt the need to ask this time because Jiwoo had specifically told them earlier that she had wanted to be alone.

“Ice-cream and pizza.” He answers, and holds up a plastic bag that clearly only has ice-cream in it.

“Thanks?”

She’s a little confused but mostly grateful, and fifteen minutes later when the pizza delivery guy comes with her favorite pineapple chicken, Jiwoo had already forgotten that she had been suffering from terrible back-breaking, leg-shaking cramps earlier.

Thursday afternoon, she decides to go shopping and skip on going to the studio. Since she had finished recording all her parts for the new song yesterday, she didn’t really need to be there anyway. She texts BM ‘cause he’s the one that’s on his phone the most and she knows he’ll see the text first before anyone.

Jiwoo goes grocery shopping, because she likes all kinds of shopping (even though shopping for clothes and shoes is still the best kind) and because her mom had been too busy lately to do it.

She’s walking by the frozen food isle before she feels something cold and wet behind her neck.

It took everything in her not to yell out loud, especially when she turns around and saw who the troublemaker was.

“You scared me!” She slaps him in the chest and he just laughs with the frozen bag of peas in his hand, and after a while Jiwoo laughs too because that’s just what they do.

“I thought you’d be at the studio.” She said, although she knows that J.Seph didn’t have any recording today either.

“Nope. I came for lunch and saw your car.” He took the shopping list from her and begin to scan the aisles.

Jiwoo supposed that’s probable—malls aren’t usually crowded on a weekday, so there are few cars in the parking lot. And J.Seph and BM’s apartment are just around the area, so it wouldn’t be weird that he came here to eat sometimes… right?

One thing she had to admit was that J.Seph was very helpful with the shopping. And they did have a lot of fun racing their shopping carts like little kids around the supermarket.

Saturday, and it was sometime around late night or early morning—Jiwoo wasn’t sure, but she knew it was an ungodly hour to be up on a beach, waiting to watch a sunrise that didn’t seem like it was going to happen anytime soon.

“Oppa, did you get the time right?... Taehyung-oppa!”

“Huh?” J.Seph looked like he was just startled out of sleep, which he probably was despite his eyes being open the entire time.

She was pretty sure that Somin had fallen asleep standing up though, and BM had been staring blankly at that rock in the sand for about ten minutes now.

“Are you sure about the sunrise?” Jiwoo asked again.

“Yeah, I’m sure. See?” He tried to show her the info he had looked up on his phone but the light from it was too bright for her tired eyes and she shied away.

“Okay, good, because my hands are freezing.” She had been rubbing them together for a while now to get the blood flow going in her stiff fingers. She hadn’t thought to put on gloves and was now paying the price for it.

“Oh, uh, here.” J.Seph handed her his phone, which she took with confusion, but now that his hands were free he was tugging off his gloves with his teeth—which he then exchanged with Jiwoo for his phone.

“What about you?” She asked worriedly, even though she had already begun putting on his gloves in eagerness of warmth.

“I’ll be fine. It’s not that cold.”

He would’ve sounded more convincing if he hadn’t shoved his hands deep into his pockets soon after.

Jiwoo would’ve called him on the lie if the sun hadn’t chosen that time to peek out from the horizon. They were all suitably distracted for the next few minutes, and Jiwoo didn’t remember about the gloves at all until she was back in her warm and cozy home.

Monday morning, and he brings her coffee at dance practice again.

Except this time, he only has one cup with him, and when he gave it to her she could already tell from the aroma that it was mocha again.  

This time however, she didn’t immediately take a sip and instead just looks at it suspiciously.

“You didn’t put anything in it, did you?”

A weird look passes on J.Seph’s face, too fast for her to identify it.

“No. Why would I do that?”

Jiwoo scrunches her nose and remembers all too vividly the prank from Valentine’s Day… but that was so long ago, and if he had chosen to take revenge why would he do it now?

She shook her head. “Nevermind.”

J.Seph looks at her for a moment, almost expectantly, but when she didn’t say anything else he turned away with that weird look on his face again.

Jiwoo her head and wonders.

Monday afternoon, and Jiwoo is looking through her bag for her spare change of clothes after a sweaty practice session when she came across the gloves that he had borrowed her last week.  

She returns them to him dutifully, “Thanks for this.”

When he takes them from her he lingers, and Jiwoo has never felt this awkward with J.Seph since… well, ever.

But he doesn’t say anything—just looks at her, and she thinks that there’s something she supposed to know but it’s just not. Registering.

Monday evening, and they usually go grab dinner together before going home, so Jiwoo runs to put her bags in her car first but when she opens the backseat, she was surprised to find something which had definitely not been there before.

Flowers. A whole bouquet of them.

Jiwoo stares and doesn’t know what to do, or how to react.

Her first thought was ‘How did it get there and when?’, not ‘Who put it there?’ because if she was being honest, she probably already knew who the culprit was.

Jiwoo stares and stares and thinks back, and finally remembers a moment when she had left her car keys in the studio while she went out to buy lunch with Somin.

When they came back the guys had been acting weird. BM was unnaturally quiet and kept stealing glances at her. J.Seph barely looked at her at all.

Jiwoo grinned wryly. Truth was, she didn’t even like flowers all that much and he knew it too.

“You have my attention.”

She waved the flowers in front of his face before carefully setting it down. She may not be a fan of them, but they were still delicate and pretty.

“And the message?” J.Seph asked, that previously weird look on his face that doesn’t look all that weird now because she finally understood what it meant.

“I didn’t know the flowers came with a card?” Jiwoo asked, purposely oblivious, and revelled in the way his face twisted from undisguised hope to impatient frustration.

“I… that’s not… I mean, it didn’t. But that’s not what I meant.” He looked so tormented that Jiwoo decided to go easy on him.

“Yeah, I know what you mean,” she smiled, and then rolled her eyes. “But flowers, really?”

He glanced at the object in question. “You took so long to figure it out, I just got desperate.”

“What about you stalking me at the supermarket?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. That was seriously a coincidence.”

“Right. And how did you know when I got my period?”

“…Somin blushes whenever she talks about your… girl stuff, to us.”

“So do you.” Jiwoo mutters, looking at his pink face in amusement.

J.Seph huffs, “Hey, I bought you ice-cream, didn’t I?”

“And you didn’t think of… oh, I don’t know… just telling me how you feel?” Jiwoo smirked.

“Now where’s the fun in that?” J.Seph answered with a smirk of his own, and finally moved to close the space between them.

Tuesday morning, and J.Seph brings them all coffee but secretly passes her a chocolate muffin when BM and Somin weren’t looking.

Jiwoo eats half of it and gives him the rest.