Final

Poem of the Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Staring from afar
Like a shy kid afraid of everyone
Hesitating, wondering, I want to show myself

Balled at the corner of the playground, I sat quietly with my arms hugging my tiny knees, sniffling once in a while to lessen the attraction some kids are giving me. Drawing little circles at the ground, I was startled when a squeaky voice suddenly spoke.
Scared of peoples eyes
Soon I began to cry
With a tap, I look up
And then I saw the sun

"Hey what are you doing there? Are you not lonely sitting by yourself?
 I looked up and saw a kid around my age staring curiously at me, her head tilted in wonder.
"I-Im fine." I answered, turning my head to avoid her gaze.
"Is that so," she muttered.
I expected her to leave and return to her friends, but I froze when I felt her presence beside me.
"Then I'll stay here with you!" she grinned while I stole a glance at her which I doubt she even notice.
"I'm Bomi. What about you?" she asked casually.
"N-naeun," I almost whispered.
"Naeun," she repeated.
“Thats a nice name," she added and smiled again when I glanced at her.
I did not respond but nodded my head instead.
"Don't you want to play?" She asked again when we remained seated at our spot when an hour already went past.
"But Im clumsy," I answered.
"I did not ask that. I'm asking if you want to play," she repeated.
I merely nodded and said no more.
"Then come with me."
Without even realizing, she was already at my front, with arms stretched and hands directed to me, inviting to stand up.
There it was again, her smile, beaming to me warmer than the sunlight. At that moment I concluded, she's a sun.
You have the scary eyes hidden
Instead you have the brightest smile
Pulling me up, you drag me
Showed me your world
Mesmerizing, enticing, I want to stay
Stay by your side

She introduced me to her friends. Chorong, Eunji, Namjoo, and Hayoung, those are their names. But the most memorable one out of all was hers. Bomi.
Her friends were different, just like her, they never made fun of me, but instead approached me with loving hands. I was happy. For the very first time in my life, I was happy. Elementary, high school and even until college we were happy. Then I became a lady, and had the most wonderful experience of my life. I have fallen in love. And guess what? I have fallen in love with the sun, the person who took me out of the darkness. I was more than happy when I realized the beatings of my heart. The more I feel, the more it beats louder than usual.
You gave me a smile
Soon I found myself giving also one
Happiness, it was the first time.

"Naeun-ah!" I turned when I heard my sun calling me. There it was again, the usual bright smile she owns. But something's different, her smile is not the usual. She gives off the feeling of joy, of glee of... love.
"Bomi! Hey, whats up? You look brighter than usual," I commented as I hid my worry. 
“Oh, was I that obvious?" She blushed and rubbed the back of her neck in embarrassment. Somehow, I didn't felt good. I sensed that something is coming. Like instincts, hinting me to run away as soon as possible. But I didn't budge and remained at my ground. It was at that time, the time that I regretted my whole life. I should've run away when I had the chance, but how stupid, my crazy heart.
"I have something to confess actually," she looked at me in the eyes, and it gleamed in delight.
Then I notice her hands at her back, gripping something or rather someone to be exact.
"She finally accepted me!" she stated in glee.
"I know it seems impossible and such," for the second time she blushed.
"But Chorong and I are dating."
Then I met her
Your sky, the reason for your smile
I was stunned.
Realization hit me, 
The sun belongs to the sky

My ears rang and a shattering sound followed. Was that my heart? I never knew that the heart was made of glass. I should've expected it; Bomi and Chorong were always together, like cats and dogs squabbling on little things. They've known each other ever since they were at their mothers' womb. While I was there, in the corner, waiting for someone to pick me up, I was all alone.
 But like how the sun belongs to the sky, Chorong was her sky.  I've known from the very beginning that the sun can never be with the darkness. I thought she was my light. But I was so stupid not to notice. She belongs to someone else. She can never be with me. I smiled and yet tears were b to fall. I hugged Chorong; because I know, if I were to hug Bomi, I'm afraid I may not be able to let go. Chorong's my friend and I am more than sure that she'll take care of my sun. They belong to each other, like the whole world conspires with the love that they have. I know that no one can equal my love for Bomi other than her.
It hurts but I was happy
The fact that you'll never be mine
What should I do?
My smile, 
Whenever I make one because of you
Im reminded that yours is not mine

“I'm happy for you, I whispered on her ear. It's true, as a friend I'm happy for her. But as Naeun, the weak Naeun, I'm afraid all I can feel is pain. I immediately turned back after breaking the hug, afraid that they will notice my tears.
"I should go. I still have lots to do," I lied and excused myself. I didn't even wait for their reply and just run off to where my feet will take me.
I wiped my tears while running. I can't even see my surroundings. It was blurry, like my heart. Soon, out of nowhere, I began to remember a conversation that Bomi and I had. It was a peaceful night, when we had a camp. We were alone sitting under a lone tree. I already knew her feelings for her sky and I already realized mine.
Your happiness,
Thats the only thing that matters
Staring from afar, 
I never knew
All this time, 
I never left my ground.

"You're like a moon, elegant and demure," Bomi said.
"But I prefer the sun," I responded.
She smiled and I can't help but be delighted at the sight. That time I already knew, we can never be together, for we exist at different time.
Soon, I found myself seating at a wooden stool of a lone bar, with a strong drink on hold chugging all the contents on my already burning throat. I roamed my eyes at the surroundings and found the dim lit place relaxing. Its comfortable and makes me feel at ease, somehow realization hit me. It was my place. This is where I should belong, in the darkness fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter