Prelude

Let's meet again when it snows

November 22, 2016

It's the day of Soseol, the day when the first hesitant snowflakes, still white and pure, are supposed to fall from the grey sky. It's also the day when Jiho and Yooa have promised to see each other again for the first time in too many years.

The early Tuesday morning shows busy people, evading one another carefully on their way to work. They have their phones pressed against their ear, speaking quietly as not to disturb the others, but still with a hint of annoyance to their voices.

On any other day, Jiho would make up dialogs, trying to guess what these random people are thinking, trying to figure out why they're so worked up, but today it's a special day.

Today, it is her, that is worked up, pacing around in uneven circles, fidgeting with her clammy hands. What bad luck, what bad fortune, what naivety to trust old sayings that her grandmother liked to repeat over and over again.

It is Soseol and the sky looks grey and heavy, but where is the snow?

More importantly, ... where is Yooa?

Jiho stuffs her hands into the pockets of her coat, kicking the floor in frustration and letting out a quiet murmur. "Are you always going to make me wait?"

Her mind flashes back to the warm and sweet summer day the two of them shared three long years ago. Jiho can still recall Yooa's every word perfectly. She can still feel the cold breeze of the airport on her skin. She can still hear the cries of wailing children and spouses who are bidding 'goodbye' to their loved ones.

Yooa's pale ivory skin glistens and her bright eyes twinkle teasingly, "Are you really going to wait for me?" curls up into a mischievous grin. "I'll probably find someone better to date."

Jiho bristles, crossing her arms angrily. Then she speaks with determination, "I'll wait for you. Don't even doubt me. I'll wait for you, even if it takes a hundred years. And when you come back from America and only like hamburgers and French fries, I'll still love you. So, don't even doubt my love!"

Her voice got progressively higher, and when she's finished, Yooa lets out a hearty laugh. It's so loud and cheerful. Her eyes crinkle and curls upwards.

Jiho's arms fall limply to her side at the sight.

Finally, Yooa stops and looks into Jiho's eyes. The world comes to a standstill. There's nothing but them, just the two of them.

"I love you, you idiot", Yooa says. She croaks slightly and then gulps. "I'll see you again when the first snow falls, I promise-"

An announcement cuts through her words, making Yooa stop.

"Attention, please. This is the final call for Air Korean flight number one seven two to New York City. Departing passengers should proceed to gate 21."

The robotic voice ends and Jiho's breath stops for a second. She catches Yooa staring at her, eyes desperate, "Can you promise me, Jiho?"

"Yes! Yes, I promise!" She would do anything for Yooa. There's nothing she wouldn't do

"I love you."

"I love you."

Their words come out at the same time. A last confession. Before Jiho can see the tears in her eyes, Yooa picks up her pace and jogs toward the gate.

"I'll be there!", Jiho shouts after her. "I'll be there!"

And now, three years later, just like every year when the calendar announces the first day of snow, ever so unreliably, Jiho is there, waiting on the street before the airport where she has a good vantage point, a place from where she can see not just pedestrians but also everyone going into and leaving the airport.

She took a day off to do this, like every year.

It's cold, but not cold enough and she lets out a frustrated sigh. With her dwindling hope, there also comes pain. The familiar heartache returns like clockwork and Jiho feels her eyes prickling. Angrily, she wipes the wetness away with her sleeve.

"You're not a crybaby", she utters at herself. "You're not."

"You're not?", a familiar voice repeats teasingly.

Jiho's heart stops.

"I guess I got the wrong person then."

 

****

A/N

Another Oh My Girl oneshot. Do you like it? I'll try to work on my characterization and style more (I'm not a big fan of flashbacks, but I used one in this oneshot, ahh) and I hope you'll look forward to my upcoming stories.