you probably couldn't see because of the lights but you were staring right at me

blossom & burn

001

you probably couldn't see because of the lights but you were staring right at me

(i bet you look good on the dance floor)

 


 

Wonsik has decided that he officially hates Cha Hakyeon.

No, he despises Cha Hakyeon; because Kim Wonsik shouldn't be, in any shape or form,  in a club on a Friday night, he shouldn't be seeing how his group-mates get drunker and drunker with every new shot they take — but somehow Hakyeon has managed to convince (he's pretty much dragged him there, actually) Wonsik that this was a good idea; to go out on the only day he has to rest from his crazy life to have some fun with him. ''You shouldn't be locked up on a Friday night by yourself'' and ''You're too young to spend the weekend hanging out with your dogs'' (Sanghyuk had laughed at this, stuck his tongue out at Wonsik when the older glared at him as he explained he had to be with Eongdeongie since the french bulldog was still too young to be left alone, and then proceeds to tell Hakyeon he's too old to spend the weekend hanging out at a bar) Wonsik doesn't understand why that was an issue, staying at home, he means. His work consumed most of his time, so it made sense that he'd choose staying at home on the weekends to watch some Quentin Tarantino and cuddle with Eongdeongie instead of partying all night. Wonsik understands that sleep is a privilege for him; if he had the opportunity to sleep a whole day he'd take it, and yet, right now, he found himself in an overly-crowded, overrated club in the center of Hongdae. Sitting on a stool, with his back hunched and a scowl in his face, Wonsik lets out a sigh; he's tired and he knows that there's a huge possibility that he's not going to be getting any sleep tonight (whether it is because he's going to be searching for Hakyeon on every bathroom stall of the bar or because Sanghyuk will use his goddamned cuteness to stay for a couple extra hours) and he's afraid he's going to be visiting broadcast stations with eyebags and possibly a headache. Wonsik's thoughts are interrupted by the barely audible voice of Hakyeon, who's saying something about the dance floor and ''a song that he really likes'', and Wonsik just shrugs with his shoulders, uncaring. He then realizes Sanghyuk (who was pretty excited to be there; eyes shining as he saw how the lights on the ceiling changed of colors every now and then) has already disappeared into the mass of sweaty bodies in the crowd too, and sighs again.

The bartender seems to recognize him once Wonsik fully faces the bar, and smiles broadly at him as he asks him if he needs anything (Finally! Yes— and thank you! A whisky, on the rocks). The annoying electronic song that had been playing until now changes into a slower beat, it's a song Wonsik recognizes but can't tell the name of; and he likes it, smiles slightly as his shoulders move to the rhythm while he waits for his drink. The crowd cheers excitedly, the lights in the room change slowly, softly; hues of pink and yellow fills his eyes, and then he finds him.

Him.

The bartender calls his name (Ravi) just when he lands his eyes on him, but Wonsik brushes him off, he doesn't even say thank you and without removing his eyes off of him, grabs the whiskey and takes a small sip. Wonsik doesn't know if he's too caught up looking at those deep, brown eyes that he doesn't realize them getting closer, but by the time he does, he— the boy he'd been staring at for as long as the slow song had been playing, is already only a few meters away from him, hips moving swiftly; in a sure fashion and delicately, plump lips formed into a small smirk and eyebrows raised at him in ammusement. The boy never breaks eye contact either. Instead, he runs his fingers through his bleached, slicked back hair, which he ends up messing (not that Wonsik minds; actually finds him more attractive that way) and then he arrives; the boy leans into the bar and gives Wonsik a small smile before he stops staring at him (Wonsik doesn't) and calls the bartender to order something Wonsik can't quite hear. By then Wonsik has realized more things about the blonde boy next to him — he has a beautiful profile, for example, wide shoulders and impossibly thight leather jeans on, too. Wonsik takes a sip off his whiskey to prevent a smirk from forming, he closes his eyes for a small moment but opens them right after when he hears a dramatic sigh near him. The blonde boy is staring directly at him: annoyance written on his face.

''You're not going to talk to me?'' The boy asks, it takes a while for Wonsik to figure out what he's said; between the once again, loud, annoying music and the fact that he'd talked to him out of nowhere. 

''Excuse me?'' Wonsik asks, he blinks twice and leans forward, making sure he's heard him right.

The boy looks pissed off: it's cute, he thinks.

''I saw you staring.'' 

''Wh—? Oh... sorry,'' Wonsik mumbles, he breaks the eye contact and awkwardly drinks from his cup, not knowing what else to say, and then, as curiosity takes over, he decides to look at the attractive stranger once again, only to find him with his arms crossed and poker faced.

Is almost as if Wonsik had done something wrong.

''... You were staring at me, weren't you?'' The boy asks him, avoiding his gaze. He's fidgeting now; playing with the sleeves of his white shirt and it makes him look so adorable — it makes Wonsik smile, and wonder where the confident boy from a couple of moments ago had went to.

''Well yeah.'' 

''Then why didn't you talk to me?'' 

It's a strange conversation, and Wonsik admits the boy is rather weird as well, his sharp tone and direct words make Wonsik leave his whiskey behind, smiling amused.

''I was kind of hoping you did, if I'm being honest.''

The boy lets out a small laugh, and shakes his head in disbelief.

''I moved my all the way over here for this and you were expecting me to talk to you first?''

Wonsik laughs, likes the blunt words, his annoyed expressions.

''You kind of did,'' He smirks, ''I thought you only wanted a drink.'' Wonsik points at the shot the bartender is putting in front of the blonde boy, who huffs but smiles as well; takes the shot, and then puts the glass back down.

''Well that, too.''

Wonsik chuckles.

''Hello, then.''

The pretty boy blinks twice in confusion before smiling broadly at him, taking a seat next to Wonsik.

''Hello.'' He greets back, puts his elbows on the bar, ''What brings you here?'' The stranger raises a funny eyebrow at Wonsik, who lets out a small laugh.

''I... was kind of dragged here, actually.''

The boy seems too surprised by this information, ''Really?! You seem like someone who enjoys these kind of places.''

''Is... that an insult?'' Wonsik asks, he frowns and smiles and shakes his head when the boy widens his eyes.

''What? No! I mean — no, I love this club so... I actually dragged my friends here, too.'' 

''... Friends that by the way, I already lost...'' The boy mumbles, loud enough for Wonsik to hear, he then takes a look at the watch on his wrist and sighs, ''And it's just 12:00 a.m.''

Wonsik knits his eyebrows, just 12:00 a.m? He wants to say he'd be already asleep if he weren't for his annoying leader, but he decides to remain quiet.

''I lost mine too,'' He laughs, ''But don't worry, I'm here, aren't I?'' Wonsik gives him a smile, which the boy returns.

''I guess.'' He smirks, and then he lets out a breath.

''I'm Ken, by the way.''

Wonsik nods at his words, he finds himself playing with his now-empty glass of whisky as he repeats the boy's name on his mind over and over again.

Such a pretty name.

''It's a pleasure,'' He says, smiles softly as he does so, eyes on Ken as he thinks of what to say next, ''I'm... Hakyeon.''

It's when he stops talking that he realizes what he's done — he doesn't know why he has just lied to Ken, he could've just said his real name or... Ravi's, maybe, but he said Hakyeon and he can't go back now. Wonsik eyes worriedly at Ken, but the boy doesn't seem to notice Wonsik's concerns.

''The pleasure is mine.''

Wonsik can't take his eyes off of Ken's small smirk.

Ken is laughing, and it is such a pretty thing to hear, that Wonsik has set out to make Ken laugh as much as possible. The blonde boy throws his head back, and his hand brushing playfully against Wonsik's arm doesn't go unnoticed by him; he stares at his slender fingers, now busy trying to fix his hair in silence.

''Here, let me help,'' Wonsik moves his chair closer to Ken, in an excuse of getting closer to him and hoping to help him as well. Ken lowers his arms when he hears Wonsik, he whispers something along the lines of 'thank God' and throws Wonsik a small smile.

Wonsik brushes his fingers against Ken's hair, too focused; eyebrows furrowed as he tries to make the hair stick where it should be. 

''... There,'' Wonsik laughs, ''I did my best.'' He mutters, still touching Ken's blonde hair with his hair as he moves away from the boy. 

When Wonsik looks at Ken, he realizes the latter had been staring.

Both boys stay silent as the song on the club comes to an end; eyes glued to each other, Wonsik realizes Ken may be different that he had thought half an hour ago; he was still lovely, but his confidence and loud self sometimes showed... something else. Big brown eyes stare back at Wonsik, and for some strange reason, Wonsik can't take his eyes off the boy, only sometimes shifting his gaze towards the boy's lips.

When a new song starts, Wonsik notices Ken's smirk.

The smile on Ken's face confuses Wonsik for a moment before he realizes the blonde's dark intentions —  he shakes his head and hands, even when Ken starts pouting and clinging on to him.

''Come onnnn, Hakyeonnnnn,'' Ken drags out his words, ''I bet you look great on the dance floor.''

Wonsik doesn't have time to argue, because before he can even open his mouth, Ken has already grabbed him by the hand, leading him all the way towards the dance floor. Wonsik is praying that he doesn't find either Hakyeon or Sanghyuk on the way there, lowering his gaze to the floor. And it's not like Wonsik doesn't know how to dance —  because he does, pretty well, actually. But having done it for 5 years almost every day had made the action quite... boring. Like a chore. He doesn't understand how Hakyeon does it; how he seems to enjoy every single aspect that came with being a celebrity. 

Once both Ken and Wonsik establish themselves on a less crowded area of the dance floor, Wonsik finds himself following Ken's moves, and though it's less crowded that everywhere else on the dance floor, it doesn't mean it's not crowded at all; sweaty bodies pressing against him every now and then annoying Wonsik. But Ken has him grabbed by the neck, and he's sweating as well but he doesn't mind and hell, he's moving his small hips delicately but with precision to the rhythm (it makes Wonsik wonder if he ever took lessons) and Wonsik can't do anything else but follow.

Wonsik shivers when he feels Ken's hand going all the way from his neck to his chest, distancing himself from Wonsik to look at him in the eye.

''I have an idea.''

''An idea?'' Wonsik repeats Ken's words in confusion, and when he finds where the blonde boy has been staring at, he frowns, ''What...? Do you want a bottle?''

Ken smiles innocently and nods, ''You do it.''

''You want me to go to the bar?''

''No!'' Ken shooks his head, points at the lonely bottle in the table next to them and smirks, ''There's a bottle, why don't you grab it?''

''It's not ours...'' Wonsik mumbles, ''Ken, you want to steal a bottle?!''

''There's no need to do that,'' He continues, ''I'll buy it for you.''

Ken shakes his head, determined and challenging, ''You're telling me you're willing— no, you're trying to tell me you can afford to buy a $500 bottle?'' He eyes him, shakes his head.

''I mean yes—

Ken shrugs, uninterested.

''Well... that's not the point,'' He interrupts.

''... What's the point, then?''

The blonde looks around with caution; it's not until Ken actually grabs the bottle that Wonsik actually realizes what he is doing.

They hear an 'Hey!' from the distance, and Ken, with a smirk on his face and a bottle on his hand, grabs Wonsik by the hand for a second time.

''Run!''

''What...?''

''Run!'' Ken yells louder this time, dragging Wonsik with him and, as they disappear into the crow, Wonsik realizes what the point was.

''Ugh, I hate vodka,'' Ken sighs as he takes a gulp from the bottle— to which Wonsik laughs, they don't have glasses so they've been chugging the bottle like that; and though a couple of dirty glances have been thrown at their direction, Wonsik feels happy, doesn't care if people are looking or even if they know who he is. He realizes he's actually having a great time thanks to Ken, who's made him go out of his comfort zone and do things he'd never done because he'd been to busy being appropiate.

''They're staring at you, you know?'' The blonde boy talks again, he has an eyebrow raised and a smirk on his mouth.

Wonsik wonders if he's talking about the people judging them and their drinking habits.

''Who is staring?'' He asks.

''The girls,'' Ken is not exactly subtle as he points to a group of girls giggling (if Wonsik is honest, it seems more like they're staring at Ken — he thinks — look at him), ''Aren't they pretty?''

Wonsik only shrugs he doesn't even take a second look to the girls, ''I'm not interested.''

Ken smiles at this.

''C'mon, let's dance,'' Ken grabs Wonsik's arm, pulls him so he can move, making Wonsik laugh at the process.

Wonsik doesn't even complain this time; he lets himself be dragged towards the dance floor, but when he looks down at their hands he hesitates; he sees Ken's watch, awfully good at reminding him how late it is now; 3:00 a.m.

''Actually, Ken... I think I should go...''

Ken stops moving as soon as Wonsik talks, he moves closer to the latter — and Wonsik is not sure if it is because he can't hear Wonsik or because he wants to be close, but as Wonsik stares back, he realizes Ken is really beautiful.

''Hey they're the ones who grabbed our bottle!'' Wonsik hears someone say from the distance; someone is pointing at them and guards are everywhere now, but Wonsik is fast and grabs Ken by the arm, they run, as fast as they can before the boy who had pointed at him arrived with the guards to explain them what has happened.

Wonsik wonders if it is his lucky day as they get closer to the entrance only to realize it's empty.

When they get out of the club, they're a sweating, laughing, drunken mess.

Wonsik is breathing heavily on the street, arms on his sides as Ken giggles uncontrollaby by his side.

A taxi beeps at them, and Wonsik is fast to raise his arm (he's still afraid — what if the guards come to look at them all the way over here?) He knows Hakyeon is probably going to be pissed and that Sanghyuk is probably going to be worried, but he doesn't care as follows Ken to enter into the cab.

''Where to?'' The driver asks.

Wonsik shares a look with Ken, but he can't figure out what the boy's gaze mean. He tilts his head in wonder, and though he hesitates to ask, he does it.

''What about my place?''

Ken smiles broadly, runs a hand through Wonsik's pants that make him shiver.