001

Youthful Mess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

      Dealing with four other people in the same apartment can honestly be exhausting. You can never expect what they’re going to do, especially since they’re my best friends.

 

    I’ve honestly questioned why I wanted to live with them in the first place.  Sure, we’re all friends, but we really got on each other’s nerves and probably wanted to kill each other, but nonetheless, we cared for each other and wanted what was best.

 

    We've already lived together for a year, but I honestly don't know how we have survived together.

 

    Thank God, we all graduated and have somewhat stable jobs in Austin, TX. Which proved to be a gateway to the jobs that we have now.

 

    Out of all of us, Sul Jang Mi is the only one that doesn’t have a stable job. She’s a freelance Graphic Designer, so she’s basically doing different jobs on a daily. Jang Mi is the oldest in the group and the shortest. At 5ft, she’s usually mistaken as the maknae or one of the youngest ones. She has medium length dark brown hair, droopy looking eyes, a somewhat pale face, and legs for days. There are several times that she’s been asked for I.D. and been questioned if it’s legit because of her youthful appearance. I think it’s because she’s always at the gym working out. I swear if you can’t find Jang Mi drawing at her desk in our shared room, then she’s at the gym. She’s seriously fit and eats the healthiest out of all of us, but then again, she is vegan so that’s expected. She is the only one with a boyfriend, but honestly, he didn’t know how to appreciate what he had. None of us really like him, but we couldn’t say much.

 

    I’m a Network Administrator at Xerox, which is a document solutions company, most of my days are spent walking around the building making sure that everyone is getting stable Internet connection and nothing goes down. I’m always checking the server rooms, making sure that they’re cold enough for the machines and that everything is in order. I honestly love my job because I have little to no human interaction and sometimes we need that break from people. I’m the quietest of the group and the 2nd oldest. Unlike Jang Mi, I’m seen as much older than the rest of my friends, but I’m pretty much used to it by now. As the 2nd oldest, I’m also the 2nd shortest in the group, at only 5’1. I have medium length black hair, average eyes with double eyelids, a tan complexation, and an average body shape. Nothing special to me, at least I think so.

 

    Standing at 5’9ft, Min Yu Gyeong is the tallest in the entire group. She has shiny pin-straight black hair that almost reaches her which compliments her tan completion. She's voluminous in all the right places and is what every girl strives to be and what guys like in girls. Adding to her already amazing traits, she's a chef. So, she cooks well and we all love her for it because God helps us, we can't cook to save our lives. Yu Gyeong would cook for us before she would leave for work every day. So when we would wake up, we would have breakfast, lunch, and dinner ready for us. We surely appreciated it and love her so much. She works at a famous restaurant in downtown Austin, one of the finest ones around.

 

    The only one that would usually work night shifts is Ra Mi  Na. She's a registered nurse at Seton Hospital in downtown Austin. She's usually home when the rest of us were at work and vice versa. But there are the rare occasion, she is home when we were. Mi Na is the most patient one in the group and probably a bit soft-spoken but she manages to get her point across. At 5’6ft, she's the 2nd tallest in the group but the 2nd youngest. With shoulder length brown hair, round eyes, and with a proportional body, she's just about every guys’ dreams.

 

    Finally, is the maknae of the group, Oh Hyun Ok. She is hands down a daredevil and didn’t give two s about anything. She works at a production company as a director and she's good at what she does. I’ve seen some of her work and I must say that she does amazing. She really knows what she is doing even though sometimes, I did question her sanity. She is average height, with long brown hair. She also had a proportional body and round eyes. As the maknae of the group, she manages to get away with a lot of things, much to the annoyance of everyone.

 

   

    We were all in the living room and dining room area either watching TV or eating. Which was a very normal occurrence for us. It was a little after 6 and we were all tired from work, luckily it was Friday so we had the next two days to ourselves. Even Mi Na had off, which was surprising but we accepted it because who knew when this was going to happen again.

    

    “What should we do this weekend?” Min Yu Gyeong asked. She had her elbow propped on the dining table as she rested her cheek on the palm of her hand and using her other hand, she tapped the wood surface.

 

    “Let’s go skydiving!” Oh Hyun Ok exclaimed as she flapped her arms wildly in the air. Everyone in the room just stared at Hyuk Ok who’s facial expression soured.

 

     “Fine alright. No skydiving,” she said defeated as she sat back down and continued to watch TV.

 

    “Let’s go to a water park,” Ra Mi Na suggested as she looked around.

 

    “No. I don’t want to get anymore tan,” I said as I looked at her. I was being serious. I don’t know how much more tan I could get, but I wasn’t about to find out.

 

    “Why not?” Mi Na questioned.

 

    “Because, I just don’t want to,” I responded as I took a sip from my glass full of sweet tea.

 

    “So, then what?” Sul Jang Mi asked curious on what we would eventually agree on.

 

    “Why don’t we just simply stay at home, drink a few beers and eat fried chicken?” I suggested as I tapped on the now empty glass. Sweet tea was my weakness. I would go through gallons of it in like 2 to 3 days. I’m amazed I don’t have any cavities.

 

    “That’s a great idea!” Mi Na exclaimed.

 

    “Hello, vegan in the house,” Jang Mi said as she rolled her eyes.

 

    “We can get you a fruit platter or something,” Hyun Ok shrugged as she continued to stare at the TV. Looking over, I saw that she was watching some Jackson video’s as she laughed at his stupidity. I shook my head but slightly laughed because she was seriously in love that him. Then again, I couldn’t say anything because I had my idols that I loved so, it was whatever.

 

Later that night

 

    “Don’t you ever wonder what it would be like in Korea?” Jang Mi asked as we both laid in our beds. We lived in a three-bedroom apartment, so there was two to a room while Yu Gyeong had a room to herself.

   

    “Of course I do. My parents keep talking about it, but I’ve never really gone to visit family. You know?” I said as I stared at the ceiling. She sparked curiosity in my mind, and a million thoughts went zooming through my head. I really wanted to visit Korea, so did everyone else except Yu Gyeong who for some reason was totally obsessed with Japan. So we would probably have to go to Japan just for her.

 

     "Yeah, I understand. I don't think any of us have ever been to Korea right? Why don't we plan to go sometime during the summer if we can?"

 

     "What?" I propped myself up on my elbows to look over at her as she too was staring at the ceiling.

 

     "Yeah. Go to Korea, all of us," she smiled happily as she turned her head in my direction.

 

     "I guess..." I didn't even know if we would even survive Korea. Out of all of us, only me and Jang Mi speak fluent Korean and even then sometimes I stumble on my words. When you grow in a household that forces you to speak your native tongue, you have no choice but to learn it even if you’re bad at it.

 

     We spent most of the night just talking and laughing about random things that happen to us at work or whatever happens in our lives.

 

A few weeks later

 

     I was extremely exhausted because of work. We had difficult clients come in today and were very much demanding. I don’t know why my boss wanted me to deal with them when he knows that I hate dealing with clients. For god’s sake, I’m a Network Administrator, therefore I don’t need to deal with customers. I just administrate the network in the building, simple as that. Sighing deeply, I went up the steps to our 2nd-floor apartment. I dragged my feet in the process but I eventually made it. Taking my keys out my bag, I unlock the door and push my way in.

 

     As I walked inside the apartment, after a long day, I find Hyun Ok and Yu Gyeong arguing again. Honestly this wasn't new - actually, this was getting old. They were always arguing about something. Taking a deep breath, I walked right past them and went to the kitchen to grab a bottle of water from the fridge. As I opened the fridge, I heard Mi Na yell something from her room, but I didn't understand a word she said. Shrugging, I grabbed the bottle of water and closed the fridge door to walk out of the kitchen to head to my room.

 

     Even then, they were still arguing. Rolling my eyes, I closed the door in hopes of muffling their argument, to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter