Traffic was crazy

Sorry, I'm Late

“Are you ready, sir?” This was the 7th time the waitress has came over to Jinyoung’s table, and each time he shook his head and mumbled to give more time. He had practically memorized the menu by now, considering how many times he’s looked over it. The ice in his tea has almost gone and the condensation formed on the glass was sliding onto the table.

It wasn’t like JB to just not show up, but then again JB seems more distant the last few weeks and Jinyoung couldn’t figure it out. He checked his phone over and over again, hoping that maybe he got a response to his text messages, but there was nothing.

People kept giving him apologetic looks as if they already knew that he was stood up, and the person that he was waiting for isn’t going to show up no matter how long he waits. Jinyoung wanted to sink into his seat and disappear, but life wasn’t this easy. The cafe bustle around him people walking in and out and the busy street outside the window was filled with people of different lives.

“Sorry, babe. The there was a lot of traffic on my way here. I’ll make it up for you.” the brown hair boy apologizes to Jinyoung loud enough for the people around him to hear.

Jinyoung blinked his eye in confusion. The boy sat down in the seat across from him before whispering “I’m Mark. Just go with it. Whoever didn’t bother to show is a .”

Jinyoung gave his name before asking why this boy, Mark, bother to help him.

“Well, my boyfriend broke up with me a few days ago. So I came out to get some coffee and clear my mind and I notice that you were alone but clearly waiting for somebody that’s obviously not going to show up. So I had to do something. It hurt to be abandoned.”

The two of them ordered some cake and pastry and enjoyed each other's presence. Laughing and sharing different parts of themselves to the other.

Jinyoung phone buzz as a text message pop up on his screen. He quickly excused himself, making his way to the restroom before finally opening the text from JB.

I’m sorry Jinyoung, and I understand if you hate me from now on and I will accept your hatred. I was going to tell you in person today but I chicken out and the only courage I have is to send this message to you. I found the person I truly love. I’m not with him yet, but I feel guilty being with you while having feelings for someone else. This doesn’t mean I never loved you. In fact at one point you were the love of my life.  I’m sorry, I guess this where  our paths separate. I hope you find someone who will treat you better than me.

Jinyoung read the message over once, then twice, then a third term. He didn’t break down crying because he knew this day would come eventually, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t hurt him because JB was everything to him at one point. As Jinyoung walk out of the restroom he put a smile on his face, seeing that Mark was still there.

“You ok? I assume the person you were waiting for texted you.” Mark questioned with concern.

“Yeah,  My boyfriend dumped me too” Jinyoung said before sitting back down.

Mark choked on his coffee before responding “Why would anyone dump a cute guy like you? Wait, does this mean I can get your number without having a boyfriend hire assassins after me”

Jinyoung was shocked because not only did Mark complemented his look but also asked for his number. Part of him was reluctant that he just got dumped and he was handing himself over to someone else. In the end he agreed and Mark handed his phone over to Jinyoung to put his number into.

“Wait...can I have your number too?” Jinyoung asked. Mark laughed before he put his number in Jinyoung’s phone labeling himself as the “that one guy that saved your at that one cafe” but Jinyoung changed it to “Mark” with a coffee emoji next to it.

As the two boys walked out of the cafe, Jinyoung pulled up JB’s message and texting back a response

It’s okay, I don’t hate you. I will always love and all I want is for you to be happy with whoever you choose to be with. Also, it’s possible that I found the person that will make me happy as I waited for you today.