Chapter One

I've Fallen for You

It’s funny how things work out. One day, you can just be sitting around, hanging out with some mortals, and the next thing you know you run into an angel…

Literally.

 

“Really, Minhyuk-ah,” Kihyun sighs exasperatedly, shaking his head at the slightly older. The redhead chuckles impishly, pulling his friend close.

“What?” he pouts. “it’s only a suggestion.”

“A suggestion that I lure the youngest of our household into my bed?” Kihyun chuckles. “Kyunnie is my baby, not my personal slave, as hard as that is to explain to you.”

“He could very well be,” Minhyuk chuckles darkly. “That kid would follow you to Hell and back if you asked him.”

“No need,” Kihyun murmurs, “been there, done that.” Minhyuk barks in laughter, arching back from amusement. Kihyun chuckles along with him, ignoring the burn of memories of his home flashing before his mind’s eye. He blinks it out of sight, pushing it back to the recesses of his mind once more.

No need to think of such things, he tells himself, because I’m never going back.

Kihyun becomes so lost in his thoughts of the past, that he doesn’t realize a certain blonde walking straight for him, and consequently runs into the taller male.

His skin burns immediately upon impact, and he jumps back in shock. The stranger whirls around, eyes widening in surprise at the contact. They hold each other’s gazes for a moment, as if in disbelief. He narrows his eyes, knowing full well why his flesh is searing beneath his clothes.

Scum, Kihyun sneers silently, sending the muscled man a look of disgust before whirling about on his heel and leaving the stranger staring after him, probably dumfounded.

“What was that about?” Minhyuk asks curiously, hurrying after his friend. Kihyun gives a disinterested hum, managing to lift his shoulder in a small shrug before changing the subject to someone he knows will sufficiently distract the older.

“How's Jooheon-ah been lately?”

Minhyuk brightens instantly, and delves into a retelling of just how Jooheon has been lately. Honestly, Minhyuk's budding relationship with their younger friend is one of the few good things Kihyun doesn't mind having thrown in his face 24/7. Living on this plane is typically so detestable, so utterly boring and good, but there's a handful of people he's come across that always manage to make it better.

Jooheon, Minhyuk, and Changkyun have made his exile on Earth much more tolerable than he ever thought possible. They've come to be this odd source of contentment that, despite Kihyun being what he is, makes him want to help them find whatever source of happiness he can in this world. Granted, it's that kind of soft attitude towards certain mortals throughout the centuries that got him tossed out in the first place, but he can't help it. There are some people out there that are just too good to be corrupted.

 

The two boys reach their shared apartment soon enough, and Changkyun is waiting for them.

“Hyung!” he says cheerily, jumping up from the couch and stopping before the two. “You'll never believe what happened to me at the store!”

“You were at the store?” Kihyun asks, bewildered at the notion of Changkyun going to the store without having to be asked. The younger pouts at the clear surprise in his hyung’s voice, and Minhyuk can only laugh.

“What happened, Kyunnie?” he asks, hoping to get them all back on topic quickly so he can leave to bother Jooheon.

“The cashier asked me out!” Changkyun proclaims proudly, beaming from ear to ear.

“The hot one?” Minhyuk gapes, this time it being his turn to be surprised. “He's always so quiet, how'd you manage that?”

“He just asked if I wanted to see a movie with him,” Changkyun explains, once again pouting. “Hyung, you don't have to be so surprised that someone so attractive would want to go out with me. I’m a very desirable young man…” Minhyuk and Kihyun share a glance before bursting into laughter, arching back and hugging their stomachs.

“I'm sorry, Changkyunnie,” Kihyun breathes out, having to force himself to stop at seeing the younger’s crestfallen look. “You were just so cute when you said that, I couldn't help but laugh.”

“Hyungwonnie-hyung wouldn't have laughed at me,” Changkyun whines. Kihyun sighs heavily, stepping forward to rest a hand on his shoulder.

“I can't help it, Kyunnie,” Kihyun explains softly. “You're my precious dongsaeng, after all.”

“I stand by my previous statement,”Minhyuk murmurs into Kihyun's ear with a smirk, earning a warning glare from the younger as he moves towards Jooheon's room. Changkyun glances between the two questioningly, to which Kihyun merely waves a dismissive hand.

“Come on, let's decide what to cook for dinner.”

Changkyun nods, and follows Kihyun closely to the kitchen.

 

Hoseok sighs tiredly, plopping down on the couch in the living room as he drops his bag at his feet. He unconsciously touches the spot in his shoulder that's burned ever since he had that run-in with that… that creature, and he can't help but roll his eyes.

Hyunwoo suddenly comes out of his room, rubbing the back of his neck tiredly. He hums in acknowledgment at seeing Hoseok on the couch, and continues on his way to the kitchen.

“Is Wonnie here?” he asks, sighing as he snuggles deeper into the couch. There's a moment of silence as Hyunwoo retrieves a drink from the fridge, and then returns to sit beside him. He wordlessly hands the younger a beer, and they both take a drink simultaneously.

“I think we're almost done here,” he murmurs with a tired sigh. “Hyungwon-ah finally asked out Changkyun-ah. We can probably go home within the month.” Hoseok hums in acknowledgment, taking another long gulp of beer.

“I'll miss it here,” he admits. “The assignment wasn't nearly as bad as the one we got last time.”

“I'll be glad to go back home,” Hyunwoo chuckles. “It's definitely quieter there.” Hoseok can only hum again, losing himself in his own thoughts of home.

It isn't as if it's all that bad. His home is literally Heaven, after all. It's just, as Hyunwoo said, quiet. Most of the time it's much too quiet for Hoseok, and the only reason he can ever leave is if he's given an assignment. But, sadly, assignments don't come all that often for him or Hyunwoo, his mentor. There's no variety there, no creativity. It's what he absolutely loves about this mortal plain, the spice of life that courses through the air.

He can never get enough of it.

Hyunwoo suddenly glances over at him, a look of confusion skipping across his face.

“Did something happen?” he asks. “You seem… odd.”

“I had a run-in with, uh,” Hoseok trails off, unsure of what to call him. He's pretty sure it wasn't a pure blood, those can't exist for long in this realm. So, that only leaves one option. “I ran into a halfer on the street today, on my way home.” At Hyunwoo's surprised widening of his eyes, Hoseok quickly adds, “I'm okay, really, and so’s he.”

“There shouldn't be any of his kind here,” Hyunwoo says. Hoseok shrugs.

“I don't know,” Hoseok says, “maybe he's in exile or something. It wouldn't be the first time we've run into one of the banished ones here.” Hyunwoo hums thoughtfully, but doesn't say anything else. He merely stares at the coffee table in front of them, allowing a comfortable silence to overtake the room.

 

Hours later, Hyungwon comes into the apartment. He smiles at finding his two hyungs on the couch, and goes to sit between them.

“I finally did it, hyung,” he tells them. “I finally asked him out, and he said yes.”

“Of course he did, Wonnie,” Hoseok chuckles affectionately. “I've been telling you all this time that you're a great catch, and that Changkyun would be lucky to have you.” Hyungwon can only hum, smiling over at the older.

“You and Hyunwoo-hyung have been so helpful to me these past few months,” he says, his eyes shining gratefully. “Really, after my ex up and moved out randomly on me, I thought I was done for. Then, you two come swooping in and helped me get back on my feet.”

“As if I could've just let such a handsome donsaeng cry alone at night and not try and stop it,” Hoseok jokes, earning a playful hit from Hyungwon. Hyunwoo laughs under his breath, thinking of how much he's going to miss this mortal once they're back home.

“Come on,” he says, standing as he gets his coat, “let's go out to dinner tonight to celebrate Hyungwon-ah’s good fortune. It's my treat.” Hyungwon and Hoseok get up from the couch, yelping shouts of gratitude, and Hoseok can't help but hug the younger from behind, unable to believe that their job is finally done.

Soon enough, they'll be headed home.