1

It Is Better To Be Lifetimes Late Than Never

[A/N: Not edited T^T]

 

“Math tells us of three saddest love stories…” A young teacher got a chalk and started writing two words on the board.

“Parallel lines?” One student asked.

“Yes. Parallel lines. I would appreciate if you would let me speak first Minho-ah, ne?”

He smiled at the boy and scanned the room. His feline-like eyes landed on a boy with chocolate brown locks. The boy was resting his chin on his palm and was staring far outside window.

“Kyuhyun-ah?”

          The boy with a mop of chocolate brown hair turned his head towards the young teacher. He straightened himself, focusing his glassy eyes in front.

“Would you mind telling me what parallel lines are?”

The boy blinked and spoke, “Two lines on a plane that never meet.”

“Very well defined. Gomawo Kyuhyun-ah. Now, can someone tell me why it is a sad story?”

          No one dared to speak at first. The young teacher with cat-like eyes wore a proud smirk, all of his students seemed in deep in thought. It is fun to make the Math Class into an English class from time to time, he mused to himself. He sat on the table as he waited for a student who would volunteer to answer.

“Minkyung-ah? Do you want to say something?”

The girl named Minkyung stood up, “Two people in love who might be in the same place but their lines are never meant to cross?”

“How is that even possible? They are in the same place? They should meet right?” Donghee asked and sneaked a bite on his red bean bun.

“I saw what you did there Shin Donghee.” The teacher chided, “Imagine you and  your mother are staying in the same house but there would still be times that you would not run into each other, unless you live in a room. Minkyung has a point. Thank you for that lovely answer Minkyung-ah.”

“What is the second sad story?” A girl who is sitting in front asked.

“Aigoo Joohyun-ah~ Stories do excite you, don’t they?” The teacher fondly patted her head. Out of his students, Joohyun is the sweetest. Perhaps it is because she is the youngest in the class. “Be my guest Joohyun-ah, guess what it the second one~”

Joohyun wore a concentrated frown. After few seconds, he face lit with excitement, “Tangent lines! They should be included!” Realizing that she sounded very sure and her classmates were not reacting, “or maybe not?” She mumbled wearing a sheepish grin.

“I just wish that the others are as fast as Joohyun when it comes to picking up and having sense.” The teacher chuckled, “You may take your seat Joohyun-ah. As I was telling you, yeah, the second one is about Tangent lines. Tell me what tangent lines are…”

He walked quietly like a cat. He stopped and knocked on the desk. The student bolted into a sitting position. His hair was stuck in all directions and he hurriedly put his glasses up to the bridge of his nose.

“What was your question Teacher Kim?” The student asked and stifled a yawn.

“What was your dream about Myungsoo-ah?”

“It is L, sir.”

“I will call you that if you tell your mother to change your birth name. Now, Myungsoo-ah, what are tangent lines?

Myungsoo stifled another yawn and spoke, “I can’t recall but I have an idea. But first, I am sorry I dozed off sir. I was listening at first, I am dead serious about listening. Well, anyway, Tangent lines is similar to a story of two people who are together once then parted together. I think this one is too clichéd.”

“Very well said Myungsoo-ah~” The teacher gave him a gentle tap on the shoulder and moved towards the back of the room. He turned around to face his students. “Who can guess what the last one is? If you will give me the correct answer, then I will dismiss this class without a homework to be done on the weekends. Sounds alright, ne?”

          The whole class exploded into loud cheers and settled down right away, remembering that their teacher can change his mind just in split seconds. They concentrated, recalling math concepts. Minutes passed, the room was still enveloped in silence. All of a sudden, a petite girl raised her hand.

“Yes, Taeyeon-ah?”

“Sir. They are asymptotes, aren’t they?” Taeyeon looked at their teacher asking for a confirmation. Seeing that their teacher has no reaction, she continued by explaining her answer, “They could only get closer and closer but never could be together…”

The boy with the glassy eyes and curly chocolate brown locks suddenly stood up. “May I go to the comfort room?”

          The teacher and the boy locked their gazed on each other. The boy looked like speaking and not backing down from the staring contest really takes a toll on him, the teacher thought.

“Teacher Kim, May I go to the comfort room?”

The teacher was sure that he heard a faint crack on the boy’s voice. He decided to let him off the hook. “Yes, you-”

          The boy hurriedly made his way towards the back door, got himself a pass and then headed out of the room.

The teacher heaved a sigh and clapped his hands together, “You are correct Kim Taeyeon. Like what I have promised, no homework for the weekends but, for the three who gave their answers, you will teach those topics when we are going to have your after-school sessions. Is that clear?”

-xx-

          The minutes passed by slowly. Kyuhyun badly wanted to get out and head home. He could not explain the dull ache that he was feeling since their Math period. He felt extremely sad. The first time that he was acting like this was during his last year in middle school. It was also autumn back then. He tried to focus on the lecture but his mind was drifting away, his heart sank in deeper sadness and he cannot deny the fact that the teacher talking in front is the most boring History teacher he had met. He gave up on writing notes. He would just ask Ryeowook if he can borrow his notes.

          Kyuhyun chose to look outside the window. It was a beautiful day, he thought. The more that he stared at those trees covered with fiery red and orange leaves, he felt like he was being sent into a trance. He suddenly wondered, he was supposed to admire to the wonders that autumn made but why does it seem that there is a hollow part in him. Too much longing was flooding him and he cannot pinpoint which might have caused these feelings that are lingering within him.

“Kyu?” A petite boy nudged him gently. “Kyuhyun-ah~” This time, the other boy placed his hand on Kyuhyun’s shoulder and shook him a bit.

“Ah? Wae? What is it Ryeowook-ah?”

“You were spacing out earlier. Seriously, you have to snap out of it Kyu. Plus be happy! It’s already Friday!”

          Kyuhyun fell silent again.

“Were you thinking of him? Did you have some flashbacks again?”

“I don’t even know him Ryeong. I don’t know why I see him. I only see a figure. Whenever I try to focus on his face, everything becomes blurry.”

Ryeowook patted him on the shoulder and smiled at him reassuringly, “You just need a piano practice. Drop by our music store tomorrow. I’ll be expecting you to be there. No buts or I will put your name on my Death Note.”

“You and Myungsoo should spend less time watching anime.”

“Hell no.” Ryeowook stuck his tongue out. “Call him ‘L’ by the way.”

“It’s not his name.” Kyuhyun said blankly.

 “How can you be so mean?” Myungsoo faked an upset expression and he faced Ryeowook sporting an aegyo. “Ryeowook-ah, can we drop by the bookstore before we head back to the dorm?”

“Arasseo. Can’t say no. You look like a kitten.” Ryeowook chuckled and slung his back on his shoulder. “See you tomorrow then Kyu.”

          Kyuhyun just nodded and started to shove his things inside his bag. After muttering few goodbyes and messing Soonkyu’s hair because she looked too annoyed being call “one of the cute-sized people” in class, Kyuhyun exited the room and headed towards the school gate.

          He had been already walking for almost half an hour. The crisp, cool air brushed past his nape, making him regret his decision of not wearing a scarf. He would want to join Myungsoo and Ryeowook on their trip to the bookstore but Ryeowook must have sensed that he needed some time alone. And it turns out that Ryeowook was right. He put his hand over his chest and calmly breathed in and out. Perhaps, it was really the season that gives him such sad feels, he thought. And then, he decided to continue walking.

          He stopped as soon as the pedestrian lights turned red. He shove his hands inside his coat’s pockets. He hummed a song that he heard his classmate was singing earlier. He tried to recall the title of the song. What was it, he asked himself. The song had a word “Gwanghwamun” on it. He was focused ahead, waiting for the lights to turn green. He felt something fluffy circling around him. He looked downwards as he heard small barking sounds and he was welcomed by a sight of an excited white puppy. He squatted down and stared at the fluff ball in front of him. He started petting the small dog and he earned a delightful wag of its tail and few on his hand. He should be scared because the dog counts as a stranger but he found himself smiling at the cute fur ball.

“Melo!”

          Kyuhyun looked up and saw a guy running towards his direction. The guy was holding a leash. He stopped in front of him, panting and his hands were on his knees.

“Aigoo. I am really sorry. This little fella here really sure runs fast.” The guy picked up the puppy and placed it on his arms, “Don’t run away from oppa hmmm? You are so beautiful and people might take you away.” He ruffled the puppy’s fur affectionately.

          Kyuhyun got up and pretended that he was dusting off his pants, to avoid more exchange of words from the guy. He was about to cross the street, but he was surprised as he felt a hand grabbing him by his arm.

“Wait please… I just wanted to apologize about my puppy.”

          Both of them locked gazes. For a moment, he got drowned in those dark almond orbs and the guy seemed saying something to him but he could not quite understand him at the moment. He felt a hand on his shoulder. It did not feel foreign and he was shocked that it felt somewhat familiar.

“Hey… Are you okay? Why are you crying? Did Melo hurt you? Where does it hurt?”

          Kyuhyun’s eyes grew wide. He touched his face and it was wet with tears. He kept his face down and hurriedly wiped his face using the sleeve of his coat.

“You know… That is quite unsanitary…”

          He threw daggers to the guy in front him and the latter raised his free hand in surrender.

“I would offer my handkerchief but it seemed like you don’t want it.”

          His face softened and he was taken aback. He did not miss that subtle hint of disappoint from the guy’s voice. And then a surge of unknown emotions hit him like a tidal wave and he can only put names on two things: curiosity and strange longing.