Self-Worth

Grateful
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyulkyung’s PoV:
 
As the night was coming to an end, the amount of emotions, tears, and promises to not forget each other finally started to dissipate. 
 
Although this phenomenon was a never ending constant, it was still difficult imagining my friends disappearing because they're not good enough.
 
Still, this was the path that was destined for us. I just have to keep moving forward in order to reach my goal. 
 
Sounds depressing huh? I guess after my years of training and being on this program, I've just become so unphased to the feeling. I've said so many goodbyes and promises to so many people, as a trainee and at Produce 101. I very much meant all the words I say to these friends, but I just can't wait until saying goodbye finally… stops. 
 
Or at least stop being so frequent.
 
 
It was around 11:30 PM. A lot of the girls were either getting ready to sleep or were already asleep. There’s low chatter of girls worrying about low ranking and not being able to debut.
 
I sigh at the thought. I can't imagine being on this program, working our butts off, only to be kicked off.  (I mean, I have imagined it, but I tried to think positively so I can focus on the end goal.)
 
Even worse, you've made these bonds with all these people. You learn from them. We cry together. We encourage each other. All of a sudden, that quickly goes away. 
 
I hope this isn't the life of an idol. I'm already an emotional wreck. 
 
 
I prepare to head to the dance studio. It was part of my routine to have a light workout before going to bed. Anyways, I was called last to shower anyways, so it wasn't a huge issue. 
 
As I walk out the building, I hear the bittersweet sound of laughter, offkey singing, and crying. 
 
I honestly hate it. I hate that at the end of this road we all aren't going to debut. I hate the idea that some of us will never see the stage again. I hate that one day we'll be strangers. I hate that after all this work, nothing might come out of it for some. 
 
It was the worst. 
 
 
“Kyulkyungie!” I hear in the distance. 
 
I look up smiling. I didn't want whoever called me to worry about me and my thoughts. It was then that I noticed it was my fellow Full Moon member, Chaeyeon. She lightly jogs to me. “Oh, Chaeyeon-eonni! What are you up to?”
 
We habitually hug each other. It was a nice feeling. The three Full Moon members had somewhat gotten close to each other. I only say somewhat because I've been slightly reserved getting close to the other trainees. I'd rather not deal with the heartbreak. Since we were a small group, I had gotten closer to them than on any other team I was with (besides Pledis Girls). I had thought to myself that I hoped that one or both (or all of us) would end up at the final 11 so I wouldn't feel so regretful.   
 
Chaeyon pulls away, bringing me to reality, and walks the same direction I was going. “I have an evaluation for my company coming up soon and I haven't done much for it. I was thinking of practicing while I wait to shower.”
 
I smile. It's sad to hear that teenagers, like us, go through this, but it was nice knowing I wasn't alone. “You got called last too?” We chuckled. 
 
“What about you? Doing your nightly exercises for your perfect body?” She lightly nudges me. 
 
I laugh out loud in slight embarrassment. I remember her and Sohye dropping their jaws when I told them my nightly regimen. I was surprised she even remembered. “I don't have a perfect body. Nayoung-unnie has legs to die for.” 
 
Chaeyeon grabbed my hand. “That doesn't mean yours aren't any less desirable.” I smile at her comment and accept it. I liked her. She was honest. She didn't feed me things I wanted to hear but gave me things I needed to hear. 
 
I shrug. “Yeah. Just gonna do some cardio for 30 minutes and hopefully, when I come back, I won't have to wait for a shower.” 
 
As we neared the training facility, we hear loud music coming out of an open window. Sounds of T-Ara’s Roly Poly could be heard. “T-Ara sunbaenim?” I heard Chaeyeon whisper.
 
I pursed my lips, questioning the cause of the music. “Who's training at this time?” 
 
I feel Chaeyeon shrug. “There's 59 other girls here. There's bound to be another few people training.” 
 
I look at her. “Is Huihyeon training?” 
 
Chaeyeon opens the door and lets me in. She shakes her head. “I don't think so. She told me she was going to show off rapping for her evaluation and had already written a few verses.” 
 
I had planned to go to the big practice room where the old Class F trainees used to work, but I was curious who was among us. “Do you mind if I check out who's here? I'm just a little curious.” 
 
Chaeyeon shakes her head again. “I'm curious, too,” she smiles. 
 
We follow the loud music to the Class C room. Now the muffled sounds of Orange Caramel sunbaenim’s “My Copycat” was piercing through the walls. 
 
“Omo. What if a kpop group is here? What if Bae Yoonjung seonsaengnim is giving a private lesson or something?” Chaeyeon sounded really excited, but I kept a blank stare due to my exhaustion and growing curiosity. 
 
I slightly open the door. I peek around and see no one. Opening the door wider, Chaeyeon looks in as well. 


 
I couldn't believe my eyes. 


 
In the far right corner, the missing piece of our Full Moon trio, Kim Sohye, was staring intently at a tablet which was connected to the sound system in the room. She was making small movements with her hands and hips. For a few seconds, she practiced the switching arms part of the dance. 
 
Despite moving back and forth to practice the movements and to watch whatever was playing, her big eyes were glued to the screen.
 
“Should we leave her alone?” I hear Chaeyeon whisper. 
 
I look at Chaeyeon and shrug. I honestly wanted to stay and help Sohye. Despite her lack of talent, she was a focused learner and absorbed everything. I’m not a great teacher, but she made me feel like one. 
 
Maybe I’ll help her later? If I help Sohye, Chaeyeon may feel obligated to tag along and Chaeyeon should focus on her evaluation? Nonetheless, I did plan to do my cardio. 
 
I was about to finally reply when we heard the song abruptly change. 
 
We both turned back to look at Sohye. 
 
Did she give up learning the dance?
 
Now Girls’ Generation’s “Into the New World” started playing.
 
Just exactly was this girl doing?
 
Sohye was no longer looking at the screen but on the floor. She aggressively clenched her hands and tensed her shoulders. 
 
I turned to Chaeyeon. She didn't look directly at me, but her eyes were full of sorrow and concern. 
 
As horrible as this may sound, I was caught between leaving Sohye alone or running up to her and comforting her. I know she needed time to herself since we've all been surrounded by 100 girls. At the same time, I didn't like seeing her struggle like this. 
 
The next thing I heard was a slam. I forget that I was staring at Chaeyeon and noticed her straighten up from her crouching position. 
 
When I turn my head back to Sohye, my heart just breaks.
 
She was leaning on the mirror, arms fully extended, head down. 
 
Her shoulders were shaking. She was crying. 
 
“Why?!” She screams. I hear Chaeyeon quietly whimper.

The both of us stood in awe. I knew we both wanted to help, but was unsure how to. 
 
The outro played, signaling the end of the song. No further song played after. 
 
It was now just the three of us.
 
I still had no idea why Sohye was here or honestly why I was still here, but I was starting to think it was a destiny that all three of us met this way. 
 
“I should've listened to Dad and go against my company.” She gasped for air. “An actress trainee has no right to be here!” 
 
You're wrong. 
 
You shouldn’t say that Sohye.
 
“Eotteoke!” She wiped her eyes with her right arm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter