ab ovo, joep beving

something like the Mona Lisa.

Insight.  It's something predictable, right? kind of like telling yourself something is wrong way before you do it , and then going back later and saying "The insight on this problem has caused me to change my ways." Well, maybe not exactly like that , but it's at least a bit close .
-June 5

 

 


 Insight isn't a word Luhan craves to understand. He's sitting on the curb outside of his school when the word comes to mind. He doesn't scribble his very own definition of it into his notebook until later that night, but it sits sour with him the entire ride home. It's 1:23,  and not at all time to finish school, but Luhan is being escorted into his mother's car with an urgency that would make one think there  were a line of cars behind them waiting for the dismissal of their own passengers.
 

"I thought things were going to be different this time, Lu. " It's the last thing his mother says to him until two days later when two large men are loading the last of the boxes labeled 'Luhan's room ' onto a truck. 


"Things will be different this time, I swear. " He knows this line well. He's said it three times before.

 

 

 

Luhan's mental defects started when he was five , but it went unnoticed amongst the normality of children throwing tantrums and behaving erratically .It wasn't until he was thirteen that a birthday party gone awry alerted his parents to the clear abnormality of their son. Paranoid schizophrenic, it had been the only steady word thrown at them after a second opinion turned into a third and then later, fourth. Luhan was...fragile . They'd agreed on that word, given that it could carry many different meanings, and not all of them were harsh. His father had long since gone, and Luhan became to know what being sheltered meant. They'd moved to three different towns,  changed their lives three different times in hopes of finding the one place in which Luhan could keep it together. However, it was for naught, because each town held a horror Luhan couldnt cope with, and the most recent was a bully by the name of Chanyeol. Chanyeol's favorite thing to do was proposition Luhan into situations he didnt like. However, because Chanyeol's father was a pastor, it made sense that no one ever believed Luhan's cries for help . It made sense that when Chanyeol went far enough as to forcibly pin Luhan down in the boy's locker room, and when Luhan finally broke and pushed Chanyeol's head into the metal bench beside them; no one believed him. It made sense because Luhan had a record, and Chanyeol did not. It made sense because it was Luhan they found standing over Chanyeol's unconscious body, and although they weren't forcibly pushed out of town; it became apparent to them that they needed to leave, because Luhan was fragile... and it just made sense.

 

 

 

 

 

I don't like mountain towns. It's not a culture thing. I just don't like the trees. They kind of tower over everything, and it seems unfair to every other structure around. 
 

This house sits too high. I can't shake the feeling that it will slide off of this hill when it rains. That's plausible, right? I read somewhere that rocks and dirt can loosen during the rain and cause a mud slide. I wonder if the house will slide down into the town and reposition itself. Kind of like clearing the land and staking claim at the same time. It will be Luhan town then. No other occupant but me.
-June 8

 

 

 

 

 

 Luhan spends his first night in a new place sitting awake. There are too many windows,  and the previous owner has left two very large floor mirrors that give him discerning thoughts when he looks their way. It takes all of his blankets, but he's able to cover each open and reflective surface in no time, and it's this new found contentment that allows him to sleep on the bare mattress occupying the room. He dreams in a comfortable array of dark colors until he cant seem to ignore the static tension in the room around him.  Nothing has changed, but an aura of something else interrupts the turning in his frontal lobe.  It's 1am, but Luhan takes an interested glance at the very detailed drawing of a boy on the wall adjacent to his bed.

The boy isn't smiling, but there's still an unreadable expression on the boy face. It isn't annoying, the way the boy's lips seem to pull into a smirk as his eyes curve into something akin to concern. It's almost peaceful to see such discontent on the face of a stranger. It's welcoming to Luhan, who continues to contemplate who the boy is and what warranted the sudden visit.

"Are you from around here? " The question makes sense in Luhan's mind, and as it goes unanswered he finds himself understanding the boy more. 

"You don't talk much, do you?"