Final

When Cats Happens...

I sighed as I heaved the last box of my  belongings into my new home for however long I was going to stay. Was this going to be a start of my new life as a city girl? I have lived in the wild country for my entire life and myself turning 21 in a month I wanted to be free. My parents loved the idea as well. Only they told me not to get too drunk on my first legal night.

I bent down to start placing shirts into the closet in my new bedroom but strands of my pastel pink hair appeared in my vision. I groaned in annoyance and dug through my suitcase and pulled out a hairband. I tied up my hair in a, might I say, messy bun but it seems far from it. My hair was literally sitting atop my head, nothing was even to describe how horrible it looked.

Now- I thought. I will finally unpack in peace. I first continued with the shirts of mine which all consisted of my favorite bright colors. Neon colored matched my hair, what else was I supposed to do?

I stuffed what could fit in the small drawers in the chest that was provided. My pants mushed together, making a rainbow and black swirl. Screw folding.

I finished in record time and smiled at my work. I needed to get my bedding from a larger box in the living room. I walked through my apartment, admiring the simpleness of the complexion that made me so happy.

I scanned the decent sized room that had yet to be filled with a TV, couches and tables. Though there was one table in which I place my cat cage on. Park was my cat as of now when I left. He was a parting gift from my parents. I rounded the table to face the metal door.

I panicked when I saw Park’s cage open, and I immediately searched every open room in the apartment, calling out, “Park?  Here, kitty!” every few seconds.  When I entered the living room to look, I noticed my open apartment door.  

The color drained from my face.  He got out.

The speed in which I ran into the hall was Olympic worthy, not to mention the bruise I would surely have on my arm for shoulder checking the door, and I whipped my head from side to side, hoping to catch a glimpse of Park.  When I didn't see my furry companion, I dashed for the stairwell.

I nearly tripped down the stairs as I took them two at a time down, screaming Park’s name the whole way down.  He wasn't on the first floor, and there's no way he made it outside--the front door was too heavy for him to push open.  

Maybe, I thought, he's still in the apartment?  I went back up the staircase, fingers tapping my chin as I ascended.

I swear, Park was a ninja disguised as a cat.

I searched every nook and cranny of my apartment, finding no sign of my cat.  As I slowly walked back into the hallway, ready to continue my one-woman search party, dread settled in my chest.  I couldn't lose my cat.  There's no way-

“CAT!  THERE'S A CAT IN OUR ROOM!”

My attention snapped to the door across the hall from mine.  My brow furrowed, but I knew my cat.  That masculine voice was definitely referring to Park.

I took a deep breath, stepped over to my neighbor’s door, and knocked.  

I heard commotion on the other side--I’m guessing the walls of this place were insanely thin--and a different voice saying, “Just lock it in the bathroom, Jungkook,” before the door opened.

The sight in front of me took my breath away.  That man is gorgeous.

“Can I help you?” he asked, megawatt smile on display.

“I, uh, think you have my cat,” I said, nervously smiling back.  His mouth made an “o” shape before the smile came back.

“I'll grab him,” the man said.  He let out a chuckle.  “I think Jungkook thought it was going to kill him.”

He left the door slightly open as he disappeared back into his apartment.  Not even a minute later, he reappeared with Park in his arms.  Park was purring contentedly against the man’s chest, and I felt slightly betrayed.

“Here you go, one feline,” he chirped as he handed Park over to me.  

I snatched him back, cuddling him to my chest and nuzzling the top of his head with my cheek.

“Thank you so, so much!” I exclaimed.  “I wouldn't know what I would do if I lost him.”

Park pushed my cheek away with his paws, looking like I offended his great ancestors.  I booped his nose with a smile before turning back to my new neighbor.

“Really, thank you so much.”

“No problem,” he responded with a shrug.  “Although I don't think I did much.”

His smile did things to my knees and my chest that I didn't approve of, and Park was beginning to get squirmy in my hold.  Just as I was about to bid my farewells, my new neighbor stopped me.

“Come in!” The brunette said.

“Um- I- NO!” I stuttered out and stressed out when I basically yelled at the man in front of me, “I mean~ I have placed to be-?”

I faked a smile and dashed across the hall to my apartment in which the door I forgot to close. I struggled with the feisty feline in my arms. I swung the door shut and locked it. My heart pounded because of all the running and well, I found out I had a neighbor with extremely good looks.

From his brown hair that parted perfectly in the middle in a hairstyle most guys couldn't​ pull off- to his almost seductive dark chocolate​ eyes. He didn't seem to be the perfect type but they way he looked at me made my stomach flip. I knew he only meant good and I was just imaging a dirty other reality.

I had only met the browned eyes beauty barely a few minutes ago and now I was going all -mode on him. I shook my head and firmly clicked close the cage with my whining cat contained. Park let out pitiful cries but I wasn't going easy on MR. ESCAPE. I smirked at the big eyes cat in front of my face as I lowered myself to his level a top the table and in the cage.

“You bad, bad boy, Parky!” I scolded him.

Park just mewled. I rolled my head, cracking many bones in the process but it brought​ a relieving​ feeling. A ding woke me up from my ponderings and I took out my neon yellow phone out of my back pocket of my pants.

How are you doing? My noisy mother asking me about my feelings after three days away in which of two were traveling here.

Fine Ma. I texted back.

Isn't it dinner time there? My mother questioned.

Time for dinner as I checked my clock on the phone. I was a hour ahead from what I was used to. That's why I feel so stunned about having a meal at this time! I quickly bid goodbye to my ma and began searching for food in my freezer. I mostly froze food to reheat. I took a Kimichi bowl from a cupboard when there was nothing good in the cooler.

I poured water, heated the noodles up and feasted with my trusty chopsticks in hand. I gulped down the hot spices and threw away the paper cup. I yawned, stretching my arms above my head. I walked to my bathroom connected to my bedroom and stares at myself in the mirror in horror.

I had totally forgotten about my appearance in the search for my cat and had the guts to show myself in this state of messy everything and no make up to a stranger that was hot. I slapped my forehead and groaned. I learned something today, I am totally terrible at first impressions.

-

I woke up to the sound of Park’s excessive wails, and I groaned as I rolled out of my bed.  I took a quick glance at the digital clock on my nightstand and groaned louder.

Of course it was six in the morning.

I stumbled out of the bedroom and nearly face planted into the door when I tripped over a shoe.  I regained my balance quickly and shuffled out into the living room.

Park continued to wail from his cage but stopped as soon as I dropped down to eye-level with him.

“What,” I grit out.

He started to rub his face against the crate door, purring all the while.

“You woke me up for attention?” I asked incredulously.  I tried my best to glare at him, but I was too exhausted.  “You're lucky you're cute.”

I unlocked his cage and pulled the furball into my arms.  Park began to kitty massage my chest, and I let him until he sunk his claws into me.

I yelped, my grip on Park loosening enough for him to hop out of my arms.  He darted around the apartment, jumping on whatever he could until he decided to lay in the middle of the kitchen.

“You're ridiculous,” I sighed.

I left Park in the kitchen, too tired to care and sluggishly dragged myself back to my room where I landed face first into my bed.  I hugged the nearest pillow to me, a contented sigh escaping me.  

Just as I was on the brink of sleep, Park hopped into bed with me.  I nearly jumped out of my skin and barely contained the oncoming scream.  My feline companion curled up into a ball near the foot of my bed, and I simply let him.

Eventually, my eyes drooped shut, so I was able to get a few more hours of sleep.  When I saw a few, I mean only two because Park is a needy cat.  

I followed Park into the living room where his food bowl resided near the table, and he looked at me expectantly.  I shuffled into the kitchen to grab a can of food for him, and when I opened the cupboard, I frowned.

There's no way I only had two cans of catfood left.

As I opened the can and dumped its contents into Park’s bowl, I mentally planned out my day, which now included going to the store to pick up food for Park.  

I didn't know the area well, so as I cleaned myself up in the bathroom, I had different internet tabs on my phone open.  The nearest grocery store was only a few blocks away--perfect walking distance.  I smiled at my discovery and set my phone on the sink counter as I applied some makeup.  I didn't want to look like I crawled out of a swamp again just in case I managed to run into the hottie across the hall.

Once done in the bathroom, I headed on back into my room to change out of my pajamas.  My weather app predicted it to be overcast all day, so a simple black sweater and patterned leggings would suffice.  

I left my apartment after putting on my Converse and grabbed my purse with my wallet.  I double checked to make sure the door was closed after I locked it.  I wasn’t paying attention as I put my keys in their designated pouch in my purse, so needless to say, I was shocked when I ran into somebody.

Apologies spilled out of my mouth, and a familiar chuckle made me stop.

It was my neighbor.

Remember when I said I was bad at first impressions?  Apparently I'm bad at second impressions too.

“No cat today?” he asked, casually leaning against the wall behind him with his hands in his pockets.   

“Nope, just me,” I answered with a shy smile.  My cheeks felt warm so I bowed my head slightly so he couldn't see my blush.

“You know, I didn't properly introduce myself.”  He stuck his hand out for me to shake.  “Jung Hoseok, apartment 204 resident at your service.”

I inconspicuously wiped the palm of my hand on the side of my thigh before I took his outstretched hand in mine.  Hoseok’s smile stretched wider, and I swear his smile could cure cancer if scientists looked hard enough.

“Do I just call you Miss 203 then?” Hoseok joked.

Oh right.  I had a name.

“Jang Mila,” I answered.

“Nice to officially meet you,” Hoseok said.  

The door to his apartment opened, and I watched as another male came out.  He was Hoseok’s height with dark hair and a bulkier build than Hoseok.  His shirt was barely over his torso--it was obvious that he was in the midst of putting it on when he opened the door.

“Seriously hyung?  You can't wait five seconds-” he cut himself off as his eyes landed on me.  “Oh hi.”  He pulled his shirt down his abdomen rather quickly after seeing me.

“Mila, this is my brat of a roommate, Jungkook,” Hoseok introduced.  “Jungkook, this is our across the hall neighbor, Mila.”

We shook hands before Jungkook had a very visible epiphany.

“You're the cat lady!” he exclaimed, his face lighting up like a kid on Christmas.

My face scrunched in confusion.  I had a cat, but cat lady?  What kind of nickname was that?

“I didn't know your name,” Hoseok admitted sheepishly.  “So Jungkook came up with cat lady.  He's not the brightest.”

Jungkook frowned.  “I heard that.”

I giggled at their banter, and as amusing as the two were, I really needed to get Park’s food.  

“It was nice meeting you guys,” I said, “but I've got errands to run!”

“Why don't we show you around sometime?” Jungkook offered.  He glanced over at Hoseok.  “We’d love to, right hyung?”

“I wouldn't mind,” I said.  “I really do have to go though!  Bye Hoseok, bye Jungkook!”

“Bye, Mila!” they shouted in unison as I headed for the stairs.

-

“Sometime” apparently translated to “as soon as I returned to the complex” because the minute I stepped foot on the second floor, Jungkook was taking my shopping bags from me and carrying them to my door.

“So, we're going to show you all the best restaurants and malls!” Jungkook exclaimed as he patiently waited for me to unlock my door.  “Hoseok hyung is changing right now but he'll be ready to go in a minute.”

I pushed my door open but stopped Jungkook from entering.  I took my bags from him, told him my thanks, and retreated inside the comfort of my home.  Park sat a few feet from the door, tail swishing back and forth on the hardwood.  

“What are you looking at?” I grumbled, heading to the kitchen to store his food.  

By the time that was all put away, there was a knock on my door.  I shooed Park away from the entryway so he wouldn't get any ideas about escaping, and I opened it enough to see both of my neighbors in the hallway.

“Jungkook is kinda pushy,” Hoseok said.  I heard Jungkook grumble out his complaint that he is, in fact, not pushy.  “We can explore some other time if you'd like.”

“Oh, um, we can go today,” I quickly said.  I stepped out into the hallway with them, shutting the door firmly behind me because Park can't be trusted.  My purse was still around my body with my keys stashed inside.  “I was just tired from being woken up early thanks to my cat.”

Both of the boys beamed, and Hoseok held out his arm for me.  “Shall we then?”

We ventured out of the apartment, and they pointed out the restaurants I need to try and ones I should avoid like the plague.  At times, Hoseok and Jungkook would bicker about stores and which ones were better, and I had to admit, it was cute.

“There!” Hoseok exclaimed, pointing to a store across the street.  “That is hands down the best coffee shop in the whole city.”  As soon as Jungkook opened his mouth, Hoseok intervened.  “Don't even argue, Jeon.”

Jungkook scoffed.  “You're lame, hyung.”

Hoseok turned to me.  “Would you like some coffee, Mila?  My treat.”

“You don't have to spend money on me,” I responded.  Hoseok shook his head with a laugh.

“I insist,” he said, taking hold of my elbow and pulling me along.  

The coffee shop was nice and simple, just how I like them.  There was a counter to order and booths and tables scattered about.  Hoseok took me to the counter, and that's when I realized Jungkook wasn’t with us.

When I brought it up to Hoseok, he shrugged it off and told me that he probably got distracted and wandered off.  

After we ordered, we sat down across from each other in a booth by the windows facing the street.  Hoseok asked me questions about myself, stuff like my favorite color and hobbies.

“I play the guitar sometimes,” I said.

“Really?” Hoseok asked.  “You'll have to play for me sometime, then!”

I laughed lightly, embarrassed.  “I'm not that great.”

Hoseok grinned as he leaned across the table, his forearms on my half.  “Oh, Mila. You're just being humble.”

I tried to scoot back, but my back was already pressed against the cushion.  God, he was gorgeous.  He probably knew it, too.  

His bangs were combed down so he had a full fringe, and he wore a dark gray sweater that was way too loose on him.  I could see the peaks of his collarbones and the top of his chest, which, might I add, is very defined, and his friendly smile was just a tad more flirtatious. 

Or was that just me being delusional?

Our drinks were delivered to us, and we thanked the waitress.  We talked a bit more, and by we I mean I because I just can't shut up sometimes, and before we knew it, it was late into the evening.

“We should probably head back,” Hoseok mused as he looked out the window.

His profile view took my breath away.  His face had to be sculpted by Michaelangelo because there is no way someone was that attractive without divine intervention.  

“Mila?” Hoseok snapped me out of my inner monologuing.  , I was monologuing.  “Ready to go?”

I nodded, and we started back to the apartment complex.  Hoseok stood closer to me than when we first left, but I didn't pay it any mind.  He was probably just being friendly.

“I really had fun today,” Hoseok said with an honest smile.  I just had to smile back because let's face it, Hoseok’s smile was infectious.

“I did too,” I replied.  “Thanks for showing me around.  It really helped.”

“No problem at all,” Hoseok responded.  “Maybe we can hang out sometime?”

As I unlocked my door, I agreed to his request and bid him goodnight.  That evening, I gushed to Park about how wonderful Hoseok was and how we were going to start hanging out.  Having made friends so early into moving did wonders to my confidence, especially with how attractive my new friends were.

And here's something I would later learn from Jungkook--Hoseok gushed about me as well that same night.  

-(Time Skip of Weeks)-

It had only been two weeks since I moved here with my infuriating​ cat and it felt like my story, my soul, belonged to this city now. Hoseok and Jungkook had taken me out so many times a day that I even lost count of how many times I met them after the 'feline incident’.

Hoseok invited me to watch him and Jungkook dance a piece of a routine that they needed for a competition that they had coming up in their college majoring class. I had agreed cheerfully. I was honored that they wanted my opinion about their dancing.

Both were very fit and it seemed easy enough to image them dancing with cool moves. I happily slipped on a clashing blue sweatshirt and some black skinny jeans. White combat boots lightened up the dark of the pants. I laughed at my cat as Park all but yelled in kitty language telling me to stay.

I shook my head and opened my door that I had become so used to. I grinned, feeling different than I did when I first came here. Being friends with Hoseok and Jungkook had really changed something for the better in me.

I was a completely new young girl that loved to jump around in joy. I lifted my hand to knock on the boys’ tmentapardoor but my hand instead knocked into something soft but hard. I  craned my neck to look at Hoseok smoking down at me.

“Day dreaming so much that you can't tell the difference between a door and a human’s chest?”

I blushed then slapped the male on the bicep in annoyance.

“Already?!” Jungkook groaned as he appeared, shirt half on and pants not zipped.

“My eyes!” I mockingly cry and shield my face with the palm of my hand.

“Liar, you love what you see!” Kookie argued.

“Children, children, let's just go to the studio, I only booked it for three hours at nine.”

Apparently​ since I was new I was now the bickering toy for Jungkook and not Hoseok anymore.

“It’s 8:30!” Jungkook checked his phone once he actually wore his clothes properly.

“,” I muttered on the right of Hoseok.

“,” Jungkook replied to the left of Hoseok.

“That's Noona for you!” I cracked a smile, looking across Hoseok’s chest to find​ Jungkook’s face.

“Never!”

“Jungkook you bastard, respect your elders.”

“Call me Oppa and I'll think about it.”

“You do realize it doesn't work like that,” Hoseok blantly pointed out.

“I know,” Jungkook smirked, “But it sounds ier than Noona.”

“Why you-” I begin to insult Jungkook once again but Hoseok opened a door to a huge building.

I hadn't noticed that we made it that fast. I gasped at the many rooms, some with dancers who definitely knew how to move because everything was in one fluid motion. Jungkook runs forwards to a wooden door and clicked it open.

“Thank you-” I start.

“Oppa” Jungkook fills in.

“Nope, never mind” I walk in.

-

I clapped loudly as the dance finished. Both men were covered in a shean of sweat. I smiled at both of them and continuing​ly praise them for the amazing performance. I laughs as Jungkook makes a joke and then frown as he dashes out the studio, slamming the door shut and leaving me with a y Hoseok.

I will get you back Jungkook.

I clear my throat but then Hoseok cuts the silence.

“Wanna learn some steps?”

“Me?” I ask incredulously.

“Yes you” He steps closer.

“I can't possibly do-”

Hoseok didn't even let me complete my sentence as as he placed his hands on my waist and lifted my squealing self. He turned and matched to the middle of the dance floor and put me down. I was a blushing mess but I just hung my head until I heard a nice pop dog come on.

I looked at Hoseok who walked back to me and started telling me things and movements I had no idea how to do. Hoseok place his left hand over my left and same with our right hands. His body was almost flush against my back yet I didn't feel uncomfortable being so close to a man.

“And step, slash and pull”

I did as he said with my feet as Hoseok controlled my arms. I felt happy. This was so fun and nice to be so close to Hoseok without thinking to hard about doing everything wrong.

Hoseok was a great teacher. We spent the rest of the three hours playing around with dancing. I was sweating and panting by the end but I just grinned at Hoseok.

This was a great beginning to a friendship…

Or something more I hoped.

-

Today was my birthday and I must admit, it seems like yesterday that I was still 20 and a new kid in a big city. I smiled as my cat pounced onto me with a pure and cuddling right up. I sat up and rocked Park in my arms. I snuggled my face into his soft fur and enjoyed the blissful moment, well, until idiots decided to ruin my peaceful time.

“Happy Birthday!” Hoseok brightly smiled.

“You're 21!” Jungkook jumped onto the bed with speed my eyes hurt to follow.

Jungkook plopped himself across my lap in which the impact made the cat in my arms run out of my bedroom as if his life depended on it. Actually when dealing with Jungkook; Park’s life was probably in danger.

“Presents!”

“Breakfast” I said commandingly.

“Presents-”

“My birthday, my schedule!”.

“Bit-” Hoseok slapped a hand over Jungkook’s mouth.

-

I had gotten hats of various types and colors from Jungkook which laughed at my giggling at the awesome present. My mother got me money and my father got me passes for a plane to come back to them in a week for a month.

Hoseok had spent so much money on a silver bracelet that must've cost a ton of money but he insisted that I kept it. Our trio walked around town, bought food, saw a movie and finally made it back to our apartments so Hoseok and I could get ready to go to the best bar in town so I could try my first alcohol.

I was nervous, I would be going with Hoseok to the bar and Jungkook would stay behind. I chose a skin tight dress that was to my knees and was a tank straps in the color neon green. I applied thin makeup because who knew what the drinks would make me do.

My mother shared a story of her crying because she drank too much. I sighed and looked at the girl that I didn't remember​ becoming. I gave a half smile before a ding of my doorbell went off. I frowned at the mirror then smiled and sighed in relief.

I'll be fine.

-

I was still literally still gawking at  Hoseok even after he led me to the bar and sat me down on a barstool facing the bartender working space.

Hoseok's​ hair was gelled up. All his strands facing different directions and he still managed not to look like a moron. It looked Lusciously black and his features looked dark and mysterious with the dim little us two.

His lips parted ever so slightly as he order drinks and waited. Finally the make noticed the attention I gave him. I didn't look away embarrassed like I would've​ done a month ago.

No, I was going to confess to him.

I hadn't even got my first sip of beer but I seemed to go drunk already. All rational thought about waiting for the perfect moment to tell Hoseok vanished. He looked so hot. How could I not tell him?!

“Hoseok~”

“Yeah?” He smirked, “Do you like what you see?”

“I always like what I see when it comes to you”

“Have you consumed any alcohol yet?!” Surprised by my reply.

“No but I am tired of holding back my feeling for-”

“Jungkook, I know” Hoseok looks sadly at the table. “It’s obvious. I know you just want to-”

“No! I was going to say-”

“To ask me if it was okay to date my younger best-”

“Hoseok, no-”

“Friend”.

Hoseok seemed like he wasn't even listening to me speaking and just voicing his own thoughts.

“Hoseok, stop” I commands and looks sadly up at me, there was clearly a frown on his beautiful face, “I was going to​ say I liked you and yet you just thought Liked someone I don't”.

“Mila, what!?” Hoseok’s eyes widened.

“See, you didn't feel the same way. You only want to ship me off to your-”

A pair of soft lips smashed into mine…

I guess I didn't need to try alcohol after all. I think I will get my daily dose of something else tonight.

Thank you so much magic kitty, Park.