001

The telephone incident

"Oh hey Mingyu, have you finished the essay from Mr Kang's class?" Soonyoung asked, munching on his bread. 

Mingyu shrugs casually. "I'll do it later tonight."

He jumps from the bench and runs to his other friends that are playing on the court. Soonyoung shakes his head in dissapointment as he knows the latter will obviously forget about his homework. 

'I'll just remind him later', he thought to himself while finishing his lunch, observing the three forgetful idiots he called friends playing on the court.

~

School ends at 2 o'clock and followed by basketball practice until 5:30 o'clock. Mingyu washes up in the locker room before changing into clean sweater and jeans that he brought from home. He was always the last one to use the shower so as usual, he is the only one left in the room. He switches off the heater and lights and closes and was about to close the door when someone stops him.

"Wait, I need to use the room." The deep voice cause shiver to run down Mingyu's spine especially after realizing the voice belongs to the mysterious senior, Jeon Wonwoo.

Without waiting for Mingyu's reply, The older guy sprints into the room and lock the door, leaving the confused Mingyu with no choice other than leaving. They have never talked before so asking if something is wrong is definitely out of question. Besides, Mingyu finds the other boy scary. He always has his bangs down, almost covering his eyes. Mingyu doesn't know whether he is just an introvert or he basically hates everyone, but the senior never talked before. At least, no one heard it. 

Mingyu goes to his locker to take his homeworks and stuff them in his bag. He takes the usual route to his house and along the way, his mind keeps on playing the voice of the mysterious senior. 

~

"WE HAVE ESSAY DUE TODAY?" Mingyu screams in class as he sees Soonyoung takes out his completed essay. 

"I sent a message to you yesterday to remind you of this homework. Did you not get it?" Soonyoung asks confusedly. Mingyu shakes his head and bang it on his desk. 

At the same time, their teacher Mr Kang enters the class. The students greet him and hand in their homeworks. Mingyu goes to the front but before he could say anything, his teacher beats him at it.

"Forgot about your homework again Kim Mingyu?" He asked with cold voice. Mingyu rubs his neck awkwardly and nods. The teacher sighs.

"This is your last warning. I know you are the star player but that doesn't mean you can be excused from doing homework. I want it by tomorrow morning, on my table understand? Or else you will face the consequences." Mr Kang says firmly. He might be a kind teacher but he definitely doesn't tolerate students that doesn't do their homeworks. Mingyu did not want to be the first to face the teacher's wrath so he agrees and thank the teacher for giving him another chance.

The class continues normally with Mingyu doing his essay secretly while the teacher is not looking. 

~  

Mingyu, Jun and Soonyoung sigh in relief as the practice ended. Basketball is fun but not when their Seungcheol, the captain becomes obsessed with winning. They're going to face their old enemy next month so everyone is content of doing their best to keep their position as the best team among other high schools in Seoul. 

Seungcheol is discussing their new strategy with the coach so the three of them go to the locker room first to wash up. 

Seuncheol is giving everyone ride back home so Mingyu is not rushing to leave. He waited for his friends at the school gate alone while playing with his phone. Jun and Soonyoung are at their lockers while Seungcheol is taking shower. Mingyu figures out they're going to take some time so he sits down on one of the benches, staring at the greeneries around him but his mind wanders to the time when he heard the deep voice that belongs to certain someone.

His buzzing phone snaps him out of his thoughts. His eyebrows scrunch up in confusion as the unknown caller id appear on the screen. Mingyu usually ignores calls from unknown numbers but he decided to answer it today since he does not have anything to do.

Before he could speak, the caller speaks up.

"Your time is up."

"Oh what?" He asked but flinched as soon as he heard the distant but clear sound of gunshot.

"Wait what the hell is that? If this is Mr Kang don't scare me like this I've finished the essay I swear I even put the essay on your table already." Mingyu rambles.

"Don't make me mad you er." The caller says, his voice dripping with venom.

"I don't understand. Who the hell are you?" Mingyu says, he too feeling angry right now thinking that it is a prank call.

"You don't understand do you.." The voice says but somehow it makes Mingyu shivers. The tone is scary. 

Another gun shot sound is heard.

"I told you don't make me mad." The voice whispers faintly. Mingyu scrunches up his eyebrows in confusion.

"What? I can't hear you. Talk louder please." Mingyu says while looking around, no longer sitting. He looks around to see if there is someone messing with him but found no one.

"WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD! !" The caller screams causing Mingyu to hear his voice properly. And Mingyu definitely recognize the voice because one thing that people don't know about him, Mingyu actually have an amzing ability at recognizing sounds especially people's voice eventhough he heard of it only once. Especially, one that he just heard yesterday.