48 hours

The OR
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The game.

 

They say a person neither has what it takes to play or they don't.

 

My mother was one of the greats, a legend, me on the other hand, I'm kinda screwed!

 

 

 

 

The tone of the flatline from a cardiac monitoring machine is the alarm that wakes up, Seo Hyun.

 

She blinks her eyes multiple times to adjust from the morning light, then she sees what time it is.

 

"OMO!"

 

Without further ado, she sits up because she knows she will be late on her first day at work.

 

Seo Hyun chuckles at herself while she shakes her head sheepishly. She realizes that she is in her living room with another woman.

 

The said woman is sleeping soundlessly, in her freefall position.

 

Seo Hyun tip toes to not wake the woman, she is sneaking out from her own living room. Which sounds ironic.She then takes the blanket that was lying on the woman's .

 

Seo Hyun smiles at herself as she checks out the woman's bun. She pats her inner self, she brought home a hottie.

 

The girl has a perfect physique and porcelain white skin.

 

Now, Seo Hyun bites her lower lips. She sure is, that she enjoyed last night.

 

She needs to shake her head enormously to stop her own ual drive towards the woman. She grabs a throw pillow and places it on the woman's exposed .

 

That action wakes up the mysterious woman as she groans.

 

"Ugh."

 

Seo Hyun just feels that she is stupid doing that. How can she sneak out if she has woken the other party already?

 

The woman struggles to open her eyes. She smiles sheepishly seeing a bra that does not belong to her.

 

"This is…."

 

"Humiliating in so many levels," Seo Hyun completes the sentence of the said woman. She tip toes, walking by the figure lying on the floor.

 

The woman who is half asleep and half awake chuckles on Seo Hyun's shyness. She passes the bra to Seo Hyun and the latter grabs it.

 

"You have to go." Seo Hyun commands with a hint of uncertainty. She has finally looked at the girl. And, damn she is perfect.

 

"Why don't you go back here and pick up where we left off," The woman responds, picking up the uncertainty from Seo Hyun's voice.

 

Seo Hyun looks at her closely, like she is thinking.

 

The woman smirks.

 

"No, seriously, you have to go. I will be late for work which you are not supposed to be if it is your first day, so please just go," Seo Hyun reprimands, more to herself than to the goddess in her living room.

 

The woman just nods, not convinced on Seo Hyun's action.

 

She stands up displaying her perfect body.

 

Seo Hyun swallows an ample amount of saliva, she had a one night stand with this goddess. Now, she knows she rocks.

 

"So, you actually live here," The woman who starts to dress tries to start a conversation.

 

"No, no,"

 

"Well, it's kinda good, a little bit dusty but yeah," The goddess says so. She scans the place and things are still covered with plastics. Everything is still boxed.

 

"No, I am not living here. This was my mom's house, I am going to sell this really," Seo Hyun is obliged to answer.

 

"Oh, Sorry,"

 

"For what?" Seo Hyun asks with furrowed eyebrows.

 

"Your mom--"

 

"Oh, No! No! She is alive, she is not dead." Seo Hyun cuts the woman off and acts defensive on the subject that involves her mom.

 

"Oh sorry, I thought. Since you said 'was'" The woman explains herself awkwardly.

 

There is a moment of silence.

 

"You know what, we don't need to do the thing." Seo Hyun breaks the silent, awkwardly.

 

"What thing? We can do anything you want." The woman invites, smiling ily.

 

Seo Hyun opens then closes it. This woman is making her crazy in some ways.

 

So, she shakes her head again to remind herself that this is only a one night stand.

 

"The thing, where we pretend that we care, interested about each others' whereabouts, exchanging the details. I know it is just a one-night thing--" Seo Hyun stops. She is trying to remember the name of this goddess before her.

 

"Yoona," Answers by the woman completely dressed. Yoona offers her hand to Seo Hyun.

 

"Seo Hyun," She introduces herself accepting Yoona's hand to shake.

 

They look at each other, tempting.

 

"You don't look like the girl who is only up for one-night thing," Yoona's voice is seductive.

 

Seo Hyun focuses on her lips. She wants to taste it again. She barely remembers how it tasted. She is blaming the tequila.

 

But her superego won. She has to go to work, so for the nth time, she shakes her head.

 

"You don't look like the woman who likes commitment," Seo Hyun flirts back. She knows she will be late but.

 

"Try me," Yoona invites. She is moving closer to Seo Hyun.

 

Their bodies are so close already. Yoona holds on the blanket that covers Seo Hyun's body. She is ready to pull it from Seo Hyun.

 

"You really need to go," Seo Hyun's holds the blanket tightly and pushes Yoona away.

 

"I will go take a shower and when I go back down you will be gone," Seo Hyun says back facing Yoona.

 

"Nice meeting you Seo Hyun," Yoona shouts for it to reach Seo Hyun who is hurriedly moving upstairs.

 

"Bye, Yoona," Seo Hyun shouts back. It sounds like she is smiling.

 

Yoona giggles. She likes Seo Hyun's playfulness. She really wants to stay but she has something to do as well so she left.

 

 

 

Park Lee Memorial Hospital (Surgical Floor)

 

“Each of you comes here today hopeful, wanting in on the game. A month ago, you were in med school being taught by doctors.”

 

Seo Hyun enters the locker area, and like what she has predicted she was late. Her fellow interns are gathered around a woman in a lab gown. Which she recognizes as the chief of surgery, Kim Taeyeon.

 

The chief looks at Seo Hyun for a moment. Their eyes met and Taeyeon seems to remember something seeing Seo Hyun inside her hospital. The chief sighs and continues her speech.

 

“Today. You are the doctors.” Tae Yeon says nodding, looking on every intern around her. “The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life.” She adds emphasizing the comparative words she used.

 

“You will be pushed to the breaking point.” She adds more serious, putting her hands on her waist, standing in the middle like she is training the new soldiers who will be at war. “Look around you.” She smiles on that.

 

The twenty-four interns inside the room look at one another. They did as what Taeyeon told them to do.

 

“Say Hello to your competition.” Taeyeon continues smirking, she starts walking and the interns follow her.

 

“Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty, Seven will crack under pressure, three of you will be asked to leave.” Taeyeon deliberately explains, they ended up inside an operating room.

 

The interns are excitedly exploring the place, fascinated in an empty operating room with operating equipment all over the place. Imagining themselves wearing scrub suits, exploring a human’s body.

 

“This is your starting line.” Taeyeon continues observing every intern inside the room. “This is your arena. How well you play it? That is up to you.” Taeyeon stops her speech looking at Seo Hyun, their eyes met.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter