Hanzo for Valentine's Day

Overwatch on Valentine's Day?

You had looked it up, booked the tickets in advance (20,000 was pretty cheap for a Valentine’s Day date), and even made sure to plan was fool proof (which is saying something). Valentine’s Day had been approaching, and while you didn’t quite fancy the idea, you still wanted Hongbin to have an enjoyable day. Both of you weren’t into large cringey shows of affection. Hongbin also never liked you getting him large gifts either, always insisting that the size never mattered as long as it had some sort of meaning to it. This present wasn’t a large cheesy gift per say, but it was definitely a large gift. However, it might just be the best gift that you had ever gotten him. Hongbin was totally going to flip his when he realized what his present was.

 

Being an idol meant that he couldn’t go out for coffee dates or shopping at the local outdoor markets in Myeongdong or Gwangjang. Too many people in such a crowded area tended to call too much attention to the extremely tall attractive male. The place you were taking him to would be better suited towards someone who needed to not be seen, or recognized even if they were seen. Pulling all of your resources together, the perfect Valentine’s date was planned; Hyuk even thought it was a good idea when you pitched it to him.

 

Hongbin was excited. It was his second Valentine’s Day with you and he was thrilled to learn that not only did he have the day off (Hakyeon had pulled a few strings and VIXX recorded a video message for Starlight’s a few days prior), but that you had planned out the whole day for the two of you. Last Valentine’s Day he had been so worried about messing up the day and not being ‘romantic enough’ that he became overly enthusiastic about everything. It was only your fourth month together and he had felt the need to prove himself as a good boyfriend. While Hongbin had had previous relationships, had received multiple confessions on Valentine’s Days in the past, and even reciprocated on White Day a few times, he had never been in a relationship on Valentine’s Day. Thankfully he didn’t muck it up and you had a pleasant day which consisted of ordering out pizza and binging on some historical Chinese drama (after you shot down his suggestion to ride in a hot air balloon and eat supper on an expensive island, which was Ken’s idea).

 

After showering and straightening his slightly long and fluffy hair, Hongbin got up and put the only couple clothing item he owned on. It was a navy sweater with a small constellation made up of light gray stars at the bottom left side. He made an instant green tea latte in the Overwatch travel mug (with Hanzo on it of course) that he had received from you for his birthday. The dorm was dark and silent as he stood in the kitchen and made his tea. All of the members were taking advantage of their two days off  (the company decided to give everyone Ravi’s birthday off as well) to sleep in. Once he had finished perfecting his hair and his green tea latte wasn’t scalding anymore he left the quiet dorm behind. One of VIXX’s managers was waiting for him outside, ready to take Hongbin off to your apartment. As soon as Hongbin was dropped off the manager rolled down his window to make sure Hongbin knew that he would need to get his own ride back to the dorm and told him to contact any of the managers if there was an emergency. With a quick conformation and a wave goodbye Hongbin ran into your apartment building, straight up the stairs to the 3rd floor, and banged on your door just a bit too loudly. He wasn’t supposed to be there yet, he was around 30 minutes early, he didn’t really care though.

 

           The door opened to your annoyed face. It was far too early for him to be banging on anything, especially your door. You let him in and he went straight for his hello hug. Kola Bin decided that he didn’t want to let go so you had to struggle to walk to the kitchen to get some coffee. “I swear to God, Hongbin. If you don’t let me go and I don’t get my coffee then you won’t get any of the breakfast I’m about to make for us. I’ll eat all the pancakes.” That got him to let go fast.

 

“Sorry, I just missed you. Plus I’m super excited to see what you’ve planned for us! Last year was kind of a bust?” The poor boy wrinkled his nose at the memory of last year. You handed him a knife and Hongbin started cutting the fruit while you made the pancake batter.

 

You sighed, “It wasn’t a bust. I enjoyed it! It’s not like either of us is that big into celebrating it anyway.” Hongbin nodded as he peeled the apple. “And the only reason you are excited is because I planned it and you know I won’t make it cheesy or anything.” Hongbin nodded his head again, he was eternally thankful that he had found someone with an equal disdain for grandiose romantic gestures.

 

Hongbin piled two plates full of fresh cut fruits and pancakes. He sat the plates down on your little table and continued to talk as he waited for you to sit down. “You haven’t told me anything about what your plans are, but Hyuk said that if we ever break up that he’ll personally destroy my Park Hyo Shin collection for you. So, I’m assuming whatever you planned, you let him in on it.”

 

Hyuk had apparently set the bar pretty darn high for this date. You couldn’t help the chuckle that came out at the memory of Hongbin screeching as Hyuk stole his stuffed Hyo Shin army dog a month ago to about his fanboy crush. “I only told him what we we’re doing; he didn’t have a hand in planning anything.” You smiled as you sipped on your coffee and thought about how much fun Hongbin was going to have today. Then man in question was literally bouncing in his seat while eating his breakfast. You were happy he was so excited, but you were a bit worried that the day you had planed might not live up to his (and Hyuk’s) expectations. You weren’t going to be spending a romantic day alone. In fact, you two were going to be surrounded by a large amount of people all day today. The atmosphere would not romantic, not in the least bit.

 

Hongbin however, looked annoyed that you thought the destruction of his precious Hyo Shin collectables was cause for laughter so he kicked you from underneath the table while pouting. His retaliation had the opposite effect, instead of making you stop laughing it made you laugh even more. He was almost never aware of when he pouted and it was quite possibly the cutest thing on the planet aside from Taekwoon with his nephew. The both of you continued eating in silence; Hongbin wasn’t much of a talker while eating. It took a while to get used to the fact that he wasn’t ignoring you but just didn’t like to talk while eating. He insisted that he listened though, so after a bit of encouragement you would talk during meals while he ate. He would finish much faster than you so he would comment on your stories and tell you about his day while you would finish eating.

 

Just like always, Hongbin finished before you and started talking about his previous few days while getting you a refill on your coffee. Simple mornings like this were some of the best. Just spending time with Hongbin was enjoyable. But today wasn’t about spending quiet time alone together; today was about loud explosions and salty snacks.

 

After you were finished with your breakfast you put both of your plates in the sink and went to get dressed while Hongbin raided your cabinets for another instant green tea latte packet. You came out in a sweater similar to Hongbin’s. Yours was a light gray with a different constellation made up of navy stars at the bottom right. You looked at the clock and then walked towards your small living room. “We don’t need to leave for another hour and a half, wanna chill until then?” You walked over to the couch and sat down while Hongbin took up his spot next to you. He laid down on the couch so that his head was in your lap. Since there was still time before going shopping you decided to create a shopping list on your phone.

 

You started to type up a list of snacks that both you and Hongbin like. Hongbin didn’t appreciate how much attention you weren’t paying him and decided to start poking you phone every few seconds. Hongbin kept poking your phone for about a minute before you decided to play his game and give him some attention. You put the phone down to fuss at him but as soon as you did he looked the other way, acting like he hadn’t been a little for the past minute. You went back to typing only to have the phone be poked so hard that it tilted too far forward and tapped your nose. “Hongbin!” you yelped while he just snickered at you, giving one final poke to your nose.

 

“Well, if you were paying attention to me then I wouldn’t have had to resort to that!” Hongbin said, continuing to laugh at you. He sat up and continued to try and poke you while you tried to poorly defend yourself. So much for spending some quiet time together before you took him to his present.

 

You grabbed a pillow to properly protect your face, which Hongbin countered by throwing the pillow over the back of the couch and tackling you, effectively pinning you underneath him. “There,” Hongbin grinned down at you “now you have to pay attention to me.” And dammit with his dimples and long hair he reminded you of predebut Hongbin. “You’re such an Lee Hongbin, I swear. Leave me alone before I decided to call your manager and have him pick you up,” you said while trying to shove his gloating face away.

 

“To be honest,” Hongbin said, while squirming around on top of you to get into a more comfortable position, “you’re quite squishy and comfy, maybe I’ll just take a nap until we have to leave.”

 

In retaliation you started poking where he was weakest, his sides, causing his snuggling to degrade into a fit of giggles. “It would be a shame” you said as you continued to poke him from both sides now, “for my lungs to collapse because my boyfriend squished me to death on Valentine’s Day.” Hongbin got up on his knees and then helped you up before he sat back down next to you and pouted like the five year old child he was at heart.

 

“It’s Valentine’s Day,” he threw back at you, “and I’m not even allowed to cuddle you?! What kind of a date is this? I demand to be paid attention to and to get cuddled and coddled, it’s couples day. Love me, dammit!” Hongbin huffed and crossed his arms across his chest as he finished his whining. You of course, burst out laughing. Who knew that when you had said yes to dating Hongbin that you had actually said yes to a sassy and petulant child with hidden aegyo. Not that you had a problem cuddling him, but it was fun to and watch him pout, something he didn’t do much outside of yours or the other members company.

 

“I didn’t say no cuddling,” you smiled as you pulled him back over towards you, “I just said no damaging my lungs.” Hongbin made more huffing noises as you pulled him down so you were both laying on the couch without him putting too much pressure on your chest this time. “You sound like a pissed off puppy Hongbin, my gosh.” In the end the next hour was spent talking and teasing each other.  There would not be much skinship today, you were sadly aware of this fact. Hongbin never even went so far as to hold your hand in public, so you would just have to live with stuffing your face with snacks and using your couple sweaters as comfort today

 

           It was 12 when you decided to talk to Hongbin about the game plan for the rest of the day. “Our final destination for the afternoon requires a copious amount of snack so we need to go get those first.  We are going to something at three, but I think we should leave here at two because that would give us enough time to get there and get settled. I’ve never been to this building before but it’s a ways away from my apartment so leaving at two should give us enough time.”

 

           Hongbin was utterly perplexed but agreed with your suggestions. He didn’t know anything about your plans and since he was a Seoul native he was worried that asking too many questions or learning too many details would inadvertently clue him in as to what your super secret plans were, he really wanted to try guessing though. While he was worried about learning too much, he was going to try and help you with getting to the building you spoke of if you needed help. He knew you weren’t very good at directions and Hongbin had been on the receiving end of your poor directions once before and didn’t wish for a repeat of that incident.

 

Soon the two of you were ready and out the door, both of you were bundled up in large scarves, facemasks, and beanies. True to your word, you told him to fill up his own basket once you reached the largest convenience store closest to your apartment. While Hongbin was going crazy picking out all of his favourite junk foods you made sure to get drinks for the evening as well.

 

Ever mischievous, Hongbin decided to prank you by trying to slip random items into your basket. His plan backfired when another patron noticed what he was doing. He got fussed at by an older woman; she gave him an earful in the middle of the chips isle. She didn’t know that the two of you were shopping together and wouldn’t listen to you when you tried to speak up on Hongbin’s behalf. The only thing he could do was to apologize to her and to you until she had decided he had been scolded enough and left. As soon as she walked out of the store you started laughing and Hongbin’s face turned from a slight blush to a full on red color.

 

The teenage girl at the cash register gave you both very judging stares as she scanned all of the food that had been picked out. In the end a wide variety of foods ranging from regular snacks such as jerky, chips (regular and shrimp), and sausages, to cheese sticks, dried squid, and a large quantity of different types of triangle kimbap had been compiled. You also made sure to get a bunch of different drinks like banana milk, peach juice, and Hongbin’s favourite cold matcha tea.

 

It was one by the time snack shopping had concluded. Hongbin decided he wanted to get take-away from a small restaurant for lunch and an extra order of ddeokbokki to split. While lunch was eaten back at the apartment Hongbin took to trying to guess what had been planned for the afternoon but never came close. To your great amusement every time he got the answer wrong it seemed to fuel his desire to try harder. Once lunch was finished the both of you packed two bags, one full of snacks and one full of drinks, and left the apartment a bit before two.

 

Once again the two of you were bundled up with knit beanies on, and the both of you were also carrying a bag each. You looked at the address on your phone as you stood in the subway, staring at a subway map. “Um, Hongbin?” You looked up at him and had to pull on his arm to get his attention. “If we want to get to this stop,” you pointed at a stop a few dots away on a different colored line, “do we take the yellow or red one? And we need to transfer to this line, but which one to we get on to get to this area?” Transferring had always been an issue for you, getting on the wrong train many times in the past had created some unpleasant memories for you and an internal stigma surrounding transferring.

 

With a little help from your human GPS (Hongbin), catching the right subway went from daunting to a simple task. The two of you walked close together, weaving throughout the Seoul foot traffic. People were out in mass today. It was mostly couples but there were still many people rushing around in business attire, eyes on their phones and coffee in hand.

 

Once the building was in sight you pulled Hongbin aside to explain the next part of the master plan. You pulled down your mask to speak, “I’m going to have to put this blindfold over your eyes, just as a precaution.” From within one of the bags that had been packed you pulled out a cute sleeping mask with Ryan, a Kakao character, on it (from Taekwoon who always tried to give you practical gifts). Hongbin was staring at you with a look of trepidation, not really sure what to make out of this new development.

 

His speech came out muffled from under his facemask, but you heard him perfectly despite it. “You aren’t going to walk me across any streets are you? Can we um…..can we get closer to wherever you’re taking me before I put that thing on?” He scratched the back of his neck and looked around, trying to figure out where he was being lead but ultimately not figuring it out. You pulled your mask back up and nodded your head in a confirmation, no crossing roads while he was blindfolded. After getting closer to the building you motioned for him to put the sleeping mask on himself. Hongbin sighed as he took it from your hands and put it on himself without taking off his beanie, now his whole face was covered by two masks. You snapped a quick picture to show him later and then started off in the direction of the building.

 

Giving him directions while he walked was one of the most difficult parts of the plan but if this plan was to be executed perfectly then Hongbin couldn’t see which building you were taking him to. His dork self was sure to know what it meant once he saw the building. He was smart and it wouldn’t take him long to know exactly what this Valentine’s date would be about. “Just walk straight, I’ll guide you, and I promise not to let you walk into a pole, a person, or the door.” Hongbin grumbled but let you steer him around until you reached the door of the building. Getting him through the door without it smacking him in the face was difficult but you eventually managed.

 

You walked Hongbin in a bit before letting him go. “Stand here and don’t move or take the mask off ok. I need to go talk to the front desk so stay put.” A high pitched whine left him as you walked away to the front desk but he didn’t move from his spot. He did however try to make a grab for your arm and missed completely.   

 

You walked up to the front desk and smiled at the two girls who were working it. “Hi, I reserved four tickets, two for each of the matches today. Can I pick them both up now or should I pick up the second two after the first match is over?” You handed over the credit card you had reserved the tickets under and one girl looked you up in the system while the second girl went to get your tickets.

 

The girl at the computer nodded her her head and said, “We can give you all four of the tickets, you will just have to show them to a man before the second match when he comes around to do a ticket check.” She then handed you back your card and gave Hongbin a curious once over. The other girl came back to the front desk and handed you your tickets. The first girl looked to you and then back to Hongbin, “You must either really love the game or be an amazing girlfriend to bring him here on Valentine’s Day, he should make sure not to mess anything up!” You and the second girl laughed.

 

You internally sighed at the lie you were about to tell, it was never fun to lie about your relationship status but it had to be done. In case anyone realized that it was VIXX’s Lee Hongbin under that mask, out with a girl on Valentine’s Day no less, well, there might be something that the Jellyfish PR could salvage out of it and if saying you were only friends with a completely straight face helped then so be it. “I’m actually only his friend, but since we are both single I thought it might be a nice way to pass the day together. But I’ll still take the compliment about me being amazing.” All three of you laughed again and they wished you luck on your ‘not a date-date’ as you walked away.

 

Hongbin was nervous and it showed, he was starting to sweat already. “I heard some voices laughing and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t just your laugh. What are you planning you evil being, this is supposed to be a romantic date is it not?” You laughed again, grabbed his slightly sweaty hands, and lead him towards the elevator that was off to the side of the front desk, while the front desk girls waved energetically back and mouthed ‘fighting!’ at you several times. You waved back at them as the both of you stepped into the elevator. You rubbed soothing circles into Hongbin’s back so he would calm down a bit. The mask had to stay on until he was out of the elevator, for they had decals advertising the event you were about to see on them (as well as other general advertisements like hotels and which internet provider was the fastest in South Korea). “As soon as you step out of the elevator the eye mask can come off,” you said, “I promise.” Hongbin sighed and shifted nervously in place as the elevator kept up its steady ascent. It was an extremely tall building and it took a while to reach the designated floor.

 

You took your phone out to send a quick text to Hyuk, letting him know that you had made it to the building. “I’m equal parts nervous and excited about what you’ve planned for us.” Hongbin reached out blindly until he found your hand and laced his fingers with yours and held onto your hand tightly. “You really kept everything a secret, I’m impressed.”

 

You patted his hand and smiled, “I hope you enjoy it as much as I think you will.” The elevator stopped after you had spoken and the doors opened up to a small hallway. Hongbin quickly stepped out and almost walked into the side of the door before you pulled him over some. He took off the mask and spun around in a circle. “Well, this is a lovely creepy hallway. Really gives off the cuddly Valentine’s Day vibes I was hoping for to be honest.” Hongbin looked down at you in confusion and a bit of disappointment.

 

Smiling, you grabbed his hand, “Don’t get sad yet, this is just beginning.” You walked with him over to a small door, pushed it open, and watched Hongbin’s eyebrows shoot up into his bangs. You were pretty sure his mouth was hanging open behind his face mask. You ushered him into the large stadium which was more empty than full. There were two groups of six computers each set up on the stage and dividers set in between the two groups. You walked Hongbin over to your seats; they were on the side of the wall instead of in the middle of the theater. They weren’t the best seats available, but it was the safest option for Hongbin. He was still in a daze and hadn’t said anything since seeing the interior of the auditorium. You took your face mask off and pulled his down a bit to encourage him to speak.

 

Hongbin looked over at you with pure excitement on his face, “You…..you…. you brought me to watch a live Overwatch match?! Did you seriously just take me to see a live Overwatch match for Valentine’s Day?! This is the best date EVER!” Hongbin was dramatically whisper yelling all of this at you and thankfully no one even so much as glanced in your direction.

 

You pulled out the tickets that the girl had handed you earlier, “Actually, I’m taking you to see two Overwatch matches. They are slated for three hours each, which is why I had us pick out so many snacks.” This time you actually got to see Hongbin’s mouth fall open. He started stomping his feet a bit in excitement and grabbed onto your arm.

 

“Babe are you serious?! Are we really going to get to watch two matches?” Hongbin was downright gleeful, excited at the thought of finally getting to watch a live arena match. He had never mentioned wanting to see one to you, but you knew he had talked to Hyuk about it. He followed his wish up by saying he knew it wasn’t possible since he was an idol hence totally out of the realm of possibility. When you had gone to Hyuk to ask him what he thought of your plan he had spent a good few minutes laughing before stating that you two were perfect for each other and then told you how only a few days ago Hongbin was complaining about how he would never see one. He then told you that Hongbin had been wanting to see a live match for a long time and would flip his if he was brought to one.

 

You smiled and gave Hongbin’s cheek a light pat, the most you could do publicly. “Once the lights dim you can take your face mask off and eat some snacks, but you may want to try and leave it on as much as possible just in case.” Hongbin nodded eagerly, seeming to vibrate in his seat with how excited he was.

 

“Gongchan isn’t going to believe this!” Hongbin all but squealed, “He’s going to be so jealous!” You took your jacket off while Hongbin reached for a drink as he settled down to get more comfortable in his seat. You opened a large bag of chips before the match started so it wouldn’t make that loud annoying squeaky noise and draw attention to yourselves. Hongbin reached behind you to take your jacket off of the back of the seat and draped it in-between your seats so you could hold hands underneath it. Hongbin leaned over so he could speak a bit more quietly to you, “Gonghan and I talked about going to one of these things but we never have. Did you think of this on your own or did Hyuk help you out?” Hongbin questioned.

 

The plan had been a success and you were extremely proud of how much Hongbin was already enjoying himself. “I thought of this myself, though I did run it by Hyuk to see what his opinions were. He said I was too good for you.”

 

Hongbin hummed in agreement, “He’s right, you are. This was way more creative than last year’s date. Thanks for staying with me instead of leaving me for a more creative guy.” A large smile covered his face and he leaned down close to your face. He had never kissed you in public before so his actions took you by surprise. While he was maintaining eye contact you he grabbed a handful of chips, shoved them into his mouth, and then leaned back over into his seat. You slapped him on the arm as he giggled, getting chip crumbs all over your jacket.

 

Suffice it to say, Hongbin was having an absolute blast. Thank goodness so many snacks had been bought because he went through them quickly. The first three hours went by calmly, the both of you munching on snacks as you watched the action on the big screen at the front of the auditorium. After the first match a man came around to put a little stamp with the date on it on the second set of tickets. Hongbin was staring at his tickets while you and everyone else were waiting for the second set of teams to come onto the stage. You noticed how still he was and elbowed him. Hongbin looked over at you and then held up his two tickets, “I think I’m going to get these laminated, or framed. Or both, both is good because that’s like, double protection right? It even has the date and time on them which is a perfect way to help remember when I forget, oh wait, I’m never gunna forget this date cause it’s the best one I’ve ever been on.” You couldn’t help but grin at his words, proud that you had made him so happy with your slightly out of the box idea.

 

The second match had players that were at a much higher skill level. At the beginning of the second match Hongbin had told you the names of the two teams but you had forgotten them and started calling them Team Left and Team Right. At first he was annoyed and flicked you in the head, but he soon fell into the habit of calling the teams Left and Right instead of their official names. Throughout the second match Hongbin kept leaning over to make comments about how the players handled their chosen characters. “The guy on Team Left, in the far left seat,” Hongbin whispered, “he has issues with defending himself against Roadhog. It won’t take long for the other team to figure that out and use it against him.” You nodded you head as you watched the game progress. Not even two minutes later Hongbin also whispered, “The girl on Team Right, near the middle, Jungkook’s better with McCree than her.”

 

When a person is thrown off of their game, when they falter, their actions become sloppy. They will second guess every move they make and their performance will suffer greatly. Sadly, that happened to one of the players on Team Left, the one that Hongbin wanted to win. Hongbin was sad about that for about five seconds, but then a guy on Team Right started playing Hanzo. You thought he was brilliant with Hanzo and even Hongbin agreed to that. “I’m better than him though.” Hongbin whispered after taking a large gulp of tea. “I also have a golden bow and he doesn’t.”

 

Hongbin smirked at you while you just elbowed him in the side. “Shut up Hanzo Master before your head gets any bigger and you float away.” Hongbin laughed quietly and replied, “Is that any way to speak to a master?”

 

Now it was your turn to flick him in the head. “Oh great Hanzo Master, would you please grace me with your silence. Your talking is starting to hurt my ears and I do quite worry that your head will explode with all of your self-praise.” Hongbin laughed again but tried to keep it lower than the volume of the match that was still going on. Before you two could get farther into your silly argument there was a loud uproar from the crowd. The guy playing Hanzo used Dragonstrike, killing four out of the six players. After that happened, Hongbin wouldn’t look away from the screen for too long in fear of missing something.

 

Thus the game continued on until it reached nine. Team Right won and Hongbin cheered. The suggestion was made to wait until almost everyone else had left before leaving. The trip back to the apartment was less of a hassle, Hongbin lead the way back quickly and with ease. No one talked much on the way back, Hongbin preferring to keep as quiet and insignificant as possible.

 

Once Hongbin had gotten into the apartment he started gushing about his favourite moments during both matches. Hongbin eventually cornered you on the couch and insisted on taking couple pictures in the couple sweaters because “How can we NOT take pictures together on Valentine’s Day while wearing our low key couple sweaters!”

 

“I seriously can’t believe that we just spent six hours watching people play Overwatch LIVE in an auditorium. That was so cool!” You smiled and nodded as you munched on the pizza Hongbin ordered as soon as he has stopped his initial rant about how Team Right used Genji and Hanzo so well together.  “They had to have been trying to hide who their main was until they were far enough into the game that the other team fell into a false sense of security.” This was the most Hongbin had ever talked while eating and you found it hilarious that it was about an Overwatch match.

 

Apparently you had zoned out for too long because Hongbin was looking at you expectantly. “Oh, I’m sorry babe, what did you ask me?” Hopefully he wouldn’t think that you hadn’t been listening to his rant because he tended to repeat himself if he thought you weren’t paying attention.

 

Hongbin looked down at his plate and then back up to you, “Do you think I could spend the night tonight? I mean, it is Valentine’s Day and I’m sure the guys aren’t waiting up for me, expecting me to come home or something like that.” It wasn’t often (almost never) that he got this bashful about staying over, normally he would be very calm and chill about it. Your relationship was very….healthy, to put it mildly. But maybe, it was possible that he was acting this way because you two hadn’t been that far into your relationship last year to even dream about after or during your Valentine’s date last year. Maybe Valentine’s Day meant a bit more to him than he was willing to admit.  

 

“It’s fine, never mind.” Hongbin was intently staring down at his plate, his fingers picking at his cuticles. “I didn’t mean to put you on the spot with that question, sorry.” Hongbin kept his gaze down as his face turned pink. Unaware that you were lost in thought about why he was acting so shy, you hadn’t realized that it had taken a while for you to respond, or well, not respond.

 

“Oh Hongbin, no, it’s totally fine if you want to spend the night! It’s just that...I don’t think that tonight is the best night to stay over.” Hongbin looked crestfallen, his lips set in a pout. You continued with your answer anyway, “Wouldn’t Wonshik be really sad if you weren’t with the rest of VIXX when it hits midnight to sing happy birthday to him?”

 

Hongbin’s head jerked up so fast he winced in pain. “Oh my God I totally forgot that tomorrow is his birthday!” He jumped up off of his chair, maybe for dramatic effect? You weren’t quite sure. “Like, I know the 15th is his birthday but it wasn’t registering until you reminded me.”

 

“Yeah,” you said, “you should probably get going if you want to make it back to the dorm before midnight.” You laughed as his eyes bugged out when he took out his phone and saw the time. He ran over to his shoes, stumbling along the way. Following him, you made sure he didn’t actually fall and hurt himself.

 

He was just putting his jacket on when he froze. Looking up at you he pulled a long box out of his inner pocket. “I can’t believe I almost forgot to give this to you! I’m on such a roll today with forgetting things wow.” Hongbin handed you the box, leaving you feeling flabbergasted. You two had decided on no presents (of course, the whole day was technically a planned present for him, but that’s besides the point). You opened the box and, seriously?

 

“Seriously Hongbin? Your’s such a dork.” Laughing, you pulled out the thin silver chain with a small bean pod pendant. There was a small green jewel inside each of the three bean pods. Hongbin smiled at your reaction. He was proud of his gift, it took him forever to think of it. He needed his gift to be simple, not cheesy, cute, and slightly funny. It needed to be something you would use often that wouldn’t automatically scream ‘my loaded boyfriend bought me something expensive.’ It needed to remind you of him, so he choose this method.

 

Hongbin was very proud that you liked it. “I had to get someone to put the little emeralds into the bean pods, but I thought it was very fitting.” He took the necklace from you and moved to put it around your neck, “After all, I am a bean.” He clasped the necklace and gave you a huge, tight hug from behind. You laughed as you hugged his arms, what a dork you have.

 

Hongbin was almost out the door when you yelled at him to wait. You ran to your bedroom and back, handing Hongbin a medium pink bag with loads of issue paper sticking out. Hongbin gave you the look and you shook your head.”It’s not for you, it’s Wonshik’s birthday present. Bunny slippers to wear in his new studio!”

Hongbin laughed and then gave you one more goodbye kiss. “I’ll text you when I get back to the dorm alright.”

            You nodded and waved bye. Today had been a huge success with minimal to no issues. Hongbin would most likely come back over tomorrow to hang out since he had another free day. The only real problem was going to be the call you were bound to receive tomorrow from Gongchan’s predictably exasperated girlfriend.