Full

I Almost Lost Love

It was dark outside. The clock’s ticking was the same as always after he left. The ticking was always coarse and loud. It felt like time was going by so slowly.Why did he need to leave?
I sat in the midnight black chair, drinking the amber colored whiskey in one shot. The alcohol still had the same taste as usual.
It was about 3 months since he left. Hyung thought that it was best for him to leave my life. He was a cold-blooded killer. I was a rookie detective, building my reputation. It never should’ve happened. I looked up to the white ceiling, and then went to looking at the picture on the cabinet. We took that picture a few days before he called it quits. Donghae was perched on my lap. We were sitting on the porch chair, posing. I’d give up everything just to see him again.
I sighed as I walked over to the chair, grabbing my empty glass in the process. I went to pour another glass, when somebody knocked on the door.
“Come in.” I said, finishing the glass again.
“Sir, there’s a package for you.” My assistant said, handing over a package.
“Thanks.” I replied, closing the door. The package was small, and it was light. Hyukjae in big bold letters was written on the box. I opened it with a pair of scissors. I hope it isn’t a threat or something. Inside were a note and a tape. –Play me- was scrawled onto the note. I clicked play on the tape.
  “Eunhyuk? I hope this went through correctly…” Donghae’s voice clearly echoed from the player.
“Donghae…” I mumbled. My heart was starting to beat faster.
“If it is, I’m sorry for everything. I want to meet up with you. Meet me at the special place, 7  PM sharp.” The voice then faded.
I was going to see him again.
I looked at my watch. It was 6:55 PM. I had 5 minutes to get to the secret place. Our secret place was a courtyard hidden within the park. I took my coat off the rack, rushing to put it on.
“I’m going out for a bit.” I mumbled as I headed out. It was pretty chilly out, like the first day I met Donghae. He was robbing a bank that day, and I was sent to the scene. I wasn’t informed on what he looked like, so I accidently bumped into him. He was really kind and charming. He had also asked me out on the spot, surprising me.
I bundled up a little more as I waited for him on the bench. It was winter now, and the ground was covered with fluffy wet snow. My breath came out as a white puff as I wrapped my arms around my body. Was this all a trick?
I looked down in silence. He really wasn’t coming. I was a fool to believe that he was really coming.
I started to get up, before I felt a pair of hands wrap around my waist. His face nuzzled into my neck, softly kissing it. It really was him.
“Hae….” I heard myself mutter. His hands gently held onto my hips.
“Yes Eunhyuk?” He whispered.
I turned around and saw him. The person who took my heart, yet broke it. He abandoned me for no reason. His eyes were soft and regretful. He pouted slightly. He was dressed casually, in black pants and a black sportscoat.
“Why did you come back?” I said, avoiding his eyes.
“I wanted to see you again.” He said, reaching his hand out.
“No. You told me that you were going to leave. You left and broke my heart. Like hyung said, we aren’t meant to be together.” It flew out of my mouth without precaution. I truly wanted to say I miss you and I love you, but after 3 months, I don’t know if I can.
“I want to start over. Please don’t reject me like this Eunhyuk.” He pleaded, his brown eyes twinkling in sadness.
“I don’t know if we can. You left without saying anything to me. You broke me in so many ways, Donghae.” I said walking away. He chased after me, grabbing my wrist and kissing me on the lips.
“Just let me explain, please.” He said, a tear dropping from his eyes. He took a deep breath. I was very reluctant to trust him again. He was the one who took my ity, along with my heart.
“Fine.” I finally said, starting to calm down.
“I had to leave three months ago because of Heechul. He told me that you cheated on me, and that I was a disgrace. He told me that I wasn’t worth your time, and he told me to stay away from you. He said that if I stayed with him, he would send people to kill you. I had no other choice but to move and not stay in touch with you.” He said, looking away.
“Why didn’t you say anything? I wasn’t afraid.” I said, caressing his cheek.
“I was too scared. I didn’t want you to get hurt. Also, he threatened to go public with our affair. It would ruin your reputation.” He started sobbing. “That’s why I left.” He burst into tears again. I pulled him into a hug, patting his back.
“It’s okay Hae. I believe you. I wouldn’t care though, honestly. I love you too much.” He looked up as I wiped the soft tears away.
“Thank you Hyukkie. Thank you for taking me back. I-I love you.” He stuttered, flashing a soft smile. It was nice to see his smile again. It’s like I fell in love again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6 months have passed. Donghae and I have grown as a couple and I had moved in with him, putting the past behind us. (Including forgiving Heechul.) But there was that dreadful day that I wish never happened.
It was about 10 am in the morning. I was ready to head off to work. Donghae was still getting ready, a pleased smile on his face.
“I’ll see you when I get home Hyukkie.” He kissed my cheek as he walked out. That was the last time I saw him so happy.
It was about 11:30 am when I heard the news. I was sitting at my desk, sipping and Americano and looking over a new case. Heechul had walked in without notice. He was frantic and panicking.
“What’s wrong hyung?” I said, trying to sound calm.
“D- Donghae’s been- he got in a car accident. He’s really hurt.” My heart stopped for a second. Please don’t die on me Hae… Please.
“WHERE IS HE? Take me to him!!!” I screamed. He nodded franticly, taking me to the hospital.
Hae was on a hospital bed. There were a bunch of wires and machines hooked onto his body. His eyes were closed, his lips pursed shut. He looked like he was resting. But the way the monitor was beeping, it sounded bad.
“Hae…” I felt a tear drop from my eyes, slipping down my cheek.  I could barely hear his breathing, and his body was still.
“Are you a relative of Mr. Lee?” A young, tall doctor said. She had chocolate brown hair, that was long and tied up. She had big eyes that were as brown as Donghae’s. She had a frown on her face as she put down a file on the table near Donghae.
“No, I’m his boyfriend. What happened to him?”
She sighed heavily. “Mr. Lee has… well he’s in critical condition. The car accident took a toll on his body. He might not be able to move as easily as before. Plus, he lost a lot of blood.”
No, no no! He can’t die on me!
“I’m sorry. There’s nothing else we can do.” She looked down, a sad feeling in her eyes.
“What!? He can’t be dead! Why can’t you save him?” I was frantically crying and screaming. She patted my shoulder, giving me some comfort.
“I’m sorry sir. I wish we could help Mr. Lee. I truly do.” She had a sad expression on her face as I started crying next to Donghae’s body. The monitor went cold, and I knew that Donghae was gone. All of my emotions poured out that day, as I cried as hard as possible by his side.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It’s been 5 and a half months since then. I still dream about Donghae at night. I make myself believe that he’s still here, still by my side. It’s not like last time though. He was truly gone this time. It wasn’t anyone’s fault, but I kept blaming myself.
Since then, I had cried over Donghae every day. I couldn’t get over him. I can’t force myself to move on, even though I know he is gone. I put my head down to the desk, a soft whimper releasing from my lips. I want Donghae back. I wanted to get married to him, and we would live until we were very old. I was waiting for it for so long. I wanted him to caress me everyday, to kiss my lips with his. But that can’t happen anymore.
I was hopelessly lost without him. And there’s no way I can fix it.
I decided to go back home that day. I couldn’t focus on my work again. Luna, my junior, noticed my pain.
“Oppa, feel better. I know that you’re still hung over about the accident. Just know that I’m here for you when you need to let out anything.” She said with a caring pat on the back.
“Thank you Luna.” I whispered. Luna was the best at cheering people up when they needed it.
I lied down at my bed immediately after throwing my coat on the couch. I took this time to take a small nap. As I passed the mirror, I thought I saw a reflection of Donghae behind me. I turned around. He wasn’t there. My mind is playing tricks on me.
A sniffle was heard as I lied down on the bed. It creaked as I tried to find a more comfortable position. I had a dream that Donghae was alive, and that we were together in our secret place. He had proposed to me there, a feeling of happiness shrouding me. But that isn’t possible. We weren’t able to be together. He was probably in heaven, watching over me now.
As I woke up, I thought I saw a figure in the doorway. He was slightly leaning, hunched over. He relied on the doorway to keep him up. It was just a shadow, but yet I was afraid. Am I dreaming? I rubbed my eyes. The shadow was still there, standing still.
“Who are you? What do you want with me?” I sniffled.
The shadow had came closer. It was Donghae. But how? He’s dead…
“Hae?” He smiled in response.
“Eunhyuk.” He smiled again, this time, standing taller than before.
“It is you…” I felt soft tears stream down my face again, as I slowly walked over. Was this another dream?
I felt his skin again. His warm, soft skin. It really was him.
“Hae, what happened…. I thought you died.” I mumbled, my breathing and heartbeat rapidly increasing.
“It’s a long story.” He said, as he pulled me into a warm hug. A hug I missed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flashback- Donghae’s View-
I felt my hand twitch as I heard Eunhyuk crying next to me. I wanted to run my hands through his brown hair, telling him that I was okay. But my body was still. I couldn’t move at all.
The next day, I had the initiative to wake up and go back to him. But my body was too weak. I could barely raise my hand. I couldn’t open my eyes. It was like I was alive on the inside, but I was dead on the outside.
I felt my eyes slowly open. I wanted to go back to Eunhyuk. I wanted to cuddle with him, or go out with him again. But yet I couldn’t. I was stuck here, unable to do anything about it.
“Ahh, Mr. Lee! You’re awake.” I heard a doctor say. She had long chocolate brown hair, with defined features and big eyes.
“Who are you? Where am i?” my voice was hoarse.
“My name is Sooyoung. I’m a doctor here.” She opened a pill bottle carefully. “You were in a car accident Mr. Lee. It’s lucky that you survived.” She retrieved two pills, and a glass of water. “Drink this. Actually, I’ll help you with that.” She helped me open my mouth and helped me swallow the pills.
“Thank you Sooyoung-shi. You don’t have to say Mr. Lee. Call me Donghae.” I looked around in the only way possible. It was a standard room, white bed sheets, cabinets, drapes. There were two chairs in the corner, along with a doctor table and a chair going along with it.
“Okay Donghae-shi.” She said, helping me lie down easier.
“Where is Eunhyuk? I want to see him now.” She looked down with a sad expression.
“Are you talking about the brunette that’s your boyfriend?” I would have nodded, but I couldn’t. So I said yes.
“I was forced to tell him that you’re dead…. I’m sorry…” She had a regretful expression on her face. “Heechul… oppa forced me to lie to him. He looked so depressed…”
“That bastard. We trusted him. He’s done this before. But he’s gotten too far.” I tried with all of my might to get up, but it resulted in me getting in immense pain.
“Donghae-shi, don’t strain yourself like that! You’re not in the right state right now.” Sooyoung said, helping me lie down again. She sighed again. “Donghae, I’m going to help you build your strength. After you recover, you can see Eunhyuk. But for now, I can’t let you.”
“I guess that’s fair. I probably can’t survive out there in this condition anyways.” I muttered.
“Don’t worry Donghae. Just get some rest. We can start training tomorrow.” She flicked the light off. “Good night.”
“Good night Sooyoung.”
The next day was hell. I woke up with a surging pain in my leg. Sooyoung rushed in after I started screaming.
“Calm down Donghae!” She was calm, as she lifted my leg. She started massaging it, and I started feeling a bit better.
“How did you do that?”
“Acupuncture and massage techniques. I learned them at med school.” She calmly said, leaving my leg on a stack of pillows. “Are you ready to start training?”
“I guess so. What are we doing?”
“It’s physical strength training. It’s easy enough for people here so they can build up their strength and potentially be able to do stuff again. We’re going to help you so you’re able to walk and move.” She helped me into a wheelchair. She pushed me down the elevator to a room with fitness machines, tv screens, and a food area.
“Come, we’re taking you to the arm training first. We need to get you so you can eat on your own again.” She took me to a machine. She laid me down gently, and propped a lightweight in my hand.
 “Raise it up Donghae.” I did as she said with trouble. “That’s why. Your body is still weak from the accident.” She helped me pull it up. “I’m going to help you if you need it. Try doing as many as you can.” I was able to do about 3, before my arm started hurting.
“Don’t worry about it. After a while, your body will get accustomed to it, and then you’re arm will heal. She put me into the wheelchair again, wheeling me to another machine.
“Try to lift your leg.” I did so again. It was less painful than the arm machine. “Good. Now try to get up.” I did so, grabbing the machine for support. I almost fell, as my legs felt wobbly. Sooyoung helped catch me, a sigh leaving her. “This is going to take a while.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
About two months have passed. I had gotten stronger in my arms, but my legs were still too weak for me to stand up.
“You’ve gotten stronger Donghae.” Sooyoung said, handing me a snack.
“When can I see Eunhyuk?” She frowned again.
“I know you want to see him. But Heechul’s making sure that you’re still here, and that Eunhyuk believes that you’re dead. Anyways, you aren’t strong enough. You still can’t stand up correctly.”
I pouted in response. “ Yeah.”
I noticed another doctor came in. He sometimes helped me when Sooyoung had the day off. His name was Siwon. He was as tall as Sooyoung, about a bit taller. He had piercing dark eyes, Black hair that was neatly cut upward, and pale skin like Sooyoung.
“Ah, good morning Donghae. How are you doing?”
“Fine Siwon hyung. I feel a bit tired, but I’m getting better.” He responded with a smile. Sooyoung’s reaction changed. She looked shy for some reason. Ooh, she likes hyung!
“Sooyoung-ah, where are the files for the new patient?” She handed him a file, and accidently dropped it. “Sorry oppa, that was my fault…” She reached down and got the file and handed it to Siwon.
“It’s okay, Sooyoung-ah. Thanks.” He grinned before leaving the room. Sooyoung let out a phew after he left.
“You like him, right?” She widened her eyes.
“Don’t say anything, please!” I started chuckling.
“Of course Soo, It’s cute how you have a crush though.” She frowned.
“It’s just that… he doesn’t notice it. It’s so hard.”
“Don’t worry Soo. He’s gonna realize sooner or later. Give him time. Try to see if you share interests. Then if you become friends, it might turn into more.”
“You know a lot about love.”
“Yeah. It took me a while to get in a relationship with Eunhyuk.” I smiled again.
“Thanks for trying to cheer me on Donghae. Come on, we have some training, then you can go eat.” She said, helping me up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
About three months have passed now. I was strong enough to walk around. I couldn’t run really fast, but I was able to. I didn’t have anymore problems, and it was close for me to leave.
“You’ve gotten so strong over these months Donghae.” Sooyoung complimented. I was standing next to her, fully able.
“Thank you Soo. It’s because of your and Siwon’s help. By the way, where is he?”
“I’m here.” Siwon said, stepping in.
“Ah, Hyung!” He stepped over and kissed Sooyoung on the cheek. “I see you two became a couple…” I teased.
“Yeah, your advice worked! Thank you Donghae!” Sooyoung said, smiling.
“Hey, isn’t today your last day? You finished your training right?” I nodded. “Let us take you out.”
“But that wouldn’t be fair! You guys have been helping me for about half a year now! I should treat you!”
“No, we’re treating you. You’re the one that got better. Then we can take you to Eunhyuk.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Eunhyuk’s View-
“That’s how I got back.” Donghae said.
“That bastard! Once I see him, I’ll-“ Donghae pressed his lips onto mine.
“Don’t. It’s not worth it.” He said, calming me down.
“Fine. But at least let me yell at him. He kept me away from you for too long. I cried over nothing. And he sat through all of it.” My fists were clenched.
“I know. We can deal with that later. I’m just so happy to be with you again. Those five months were hell. I tried pushing through that training for you.” I kissed him again, harder than before.
“I know. I’m sorry I couldn’t do anything.” I hugged him tightly. “I’m never letting you go again.”
“I want to make this work Eunhyuk, I really do. Please be with me. Be my only love.” He kissed my neck, and pulled out a ring.
“How did you-“
“Siwon hyung and Sooyoung-ah got it for me. I really have to thank them; they were the ones who helped me recover.”
“Sooyoung? The tall brunette?”
“Yeah, that’s her.”
“Then I have to thank her later then. But back to the ring…. Yes. I’ll be yours. But you better be there forever.” He kissed my cheek.
“Of course I will. Nothing will break us.”


Full is here! I hope you liked it!