Fin

The Library

 

Joshua loved the library. It was where all the world's knowledge was held. It was also calm and quiet, the perfect place to spend for hours on end.

(It was also where his long time crush was always at.)

Anyway.

To be honest, Joshua should've probably taken a few extra seconds and grabbed a chair or something to help him get the book on the highest shelf. But he was in a hurry and he couldn't see how this could possibly go wrong.

Joshua was also holding 4 books in his right arm, so he had to use his left hand to reach for the book at the top—An Introduction to Cognitive Psychology—and his fingers fumbled for the book, stretching on his tiptoes as far as possible to secure his hold on the hardcovered spine.

Suddenly, he lost his balance, falling forward and crashing into the bookshelf in front of him, knocking the entire thing over. Books tumbled onto the ground unceremoniously and Joshua was right in the middle of the mess, rubbing his head.

The commotion caught the attention of the librarian who ran up to Joshua, alarmed by the scene of his entire alphabetized bookshelf laying on the ground. More importantly, though, a student was clearly sprawled next to it.

Joshua looked up to see the school's librarian looking down at him. He panicked and stood up much too quickly, wincing when he realized his ankle was likely sprained as well. Nonetheless, he turned to face the librarian.

"I am so, so sorry! I didn't mean—I mean, I just wanted the book on the top shelf—I'll help clean —I'm really very sorry—I'll pay for any damage—"

The librarian smiled at the student's flustered state and raised a hand. "Relax, I'm not here to patronize you. Anyway, are you alright? By the looks of it, that was a nasty fall."

Joshua nodded. "Er—my ankle hurts a bit..." he confessed. "And my shoulder...and my head..."

The librarian shook his head, but couldn't help be a bit amused by the situation. "You should make sure nothing's broken. Anyway, which book was it you needed?"

Joshua flushed. "An Introduction to Cognitive Psychology," he mumbled.

The librarian reached over and grabbed the book from the pile, handing it to Joshua. "There you go. You probably have a ton of work to do, right? I won't force you to stay behind and do anything else."

Joshua glanced at the librarian and looked away quickly, a redness dusting his cheeks, "N-no, I'll help...it's the least I can do..." 

The librarian smiled. He recognized Joshua, the guy frequently visited the library in his free periods and sat there for hours, pouring over books in silence, occasionally rubbing his eyes or stifling a yawn. 

"That's nice of you. I'm Wonwoo, by the way. I'm a student librarian, probably a couple years older than you, so no need for overwhelming honorifics. Just 'hyung' is fine."

Joshua scratched his head, setting his books down on a nearby table. "J-Joshua. I'm a freshman in college."

"Young blood, hm. Well, not everybody's as nice as me, so be careful, Joshua," Wonwoo chided, kneeling down to pick up the fallen books.

Hearing his name being said by Wonwoo caused Joshua's mind to go into a mess even further. "I-I see, thanks, hyung."

Wonwoo couldn't help but find the boy endearing, he definitely had a natural cute factor to him, both physically and personality-wise. "So, psychology, hm. Tough field."

Joshua nodded. "It is, but I really enjoy the concept of identifying things in the human mind."

Wonwoo and Joshua reached for the same book and stopped, glancing at each other for a moment before Joshua pulled back hastily, grabbing another book. Wonwoo noticed the same scarlet shade gracing the latter's features and smirked to himself.

"Mind if I quiz you?" he suddenly asked.

Joshua was taken aback, but complied. "S-sure, but I'm still fairly new..."

"No problem. So, let's start easy. What causes vasodilation?"

Joshua bit his lip. "Vasodilation is triggered by the emotional response to a stimulus, releasing blood flow under the outer layer of skin, and is most commonly refered to as...b-blushing."

Wonwoo nodded. "Well done. Now then..." He got up and moved behind to Joshua. "I need you to help me lift this shelf up," he uttered, positioning the younger's arms around the bookshelf. Joshua's back was towards him as he wrapped his arms around the bookshelf as well, caging the latter between him and the object. He could see Joshua's neck and ears begin to turn a rosy tone as well. The shelf was now in place, but they were still in the same position.

"What causes goosebumps?" he whispered into Joshua's ear.

Joshua's breath hitched in his throat. "I-it can occur when a strong emotion stimulates the pilomotor reflex," he stammered.

"Then..." Wonwoo placed his hands on Joshua's shoulders. "What causes the feeling of one's heart to race?"

"M-many things, such as an o-overactive thyroid gland or an a-abnormal heart rhythm, known as arrhythmia."

"Really? So is that why..." Wonwoo moved one hand over the latter's chest, resting over his pounding heart. "...yours is beating so fast?"

Joshua froze, his breathing heavy. "I—um, I don't know—"

Wonwoo spun Joshua around, pushing him up against the newly standing shelf. "Is that so?"

Joshua's eyes widened as Wonwoo's figure towered over him in the small room. "H-hyung?"

"If you keep acting this way I'm afraid my encephalon will want to do something about it," Wonwoo replied quietly, his hand tracing Joshua's defined jawline.

Wonwoo slowly pulled his glasses off, and Joshua's heart raced at the sudden difference in his appearance. The librarian's eyes were piercing through his own, an almost mischeivous glint in his pupils.

"Why do you only visit the library during my shift?" Wonwoo asked in a low voice, not taking his eyes off the other.

Joshua in a breath. "Th-that's—because—um—"

"And why do you always sit at the desk directly in front of mine?" the older added, slowly inching closer.

Joshua felt Wonwoo's breath fan over his lips before colliding into an electrifying kiss. He gasped involuntarily when Wonwoo's tongue prodded at his entrance. He parted his lips and the kiss turned even more hungrier, Wonwoo's fingers running down Joshua's spine, causing the other to shudder. If anyone were to walk in on the scene they would definitely be in for more then they asked for, considering the unvirtuous noises escaping Joshua's lips and the greedy movements of the older. Wonwoo bit Joshua's bottom lip with light force before pulling away. Joshua's chest was rising and falling heavily as sharp pants came from him.

Wonwoo surveyed the display before him with satisfaction before placing the glasses back onto his face. "You should get going, it's getting late," he said mildly.

Joshua could not believe that his crush since forever had just noticed him, moreover had just kissed him. "What—"

"Keep this a secret between us," Wonwoo added, a sly grin on his lips. "But if you're up for round two anytime soon, let me know."

Yes, Joshua definitely loved the library very much.