Our Love Is On The Piste

Of Épée and Chicken

Author's Note : Unedited, Englih isn't my fist language and I'm actually wasn't even epeeist to start with. I did play epee for awhile but I've been spending my time playing sabre for about two years till now so yeah, i apologize for lots of mistake. If you found it hard to understand the term i'll put it in the end of the chapters :)

Happy reading!

-mondchan-


 

It’s around nine in the evening and lights on the campus’ gymnasium still bright as early afternoon. Labored breath and obvious pants from two tall girls who facing each other could be hear by now. They were standing on the piste and pointing their sword at each other. It’s only left 15 seconds by now and the scoring box says 14:14 and it means tied for both of them. One must get the final 15 before the times up and it’s all done. Minkyung pants behind her mask. Surely, she is not new for this. Her stash of medals back one her home could speak by itself, she never get beaten by anyone in these past four years on the city, region or sometimes national championship since her high school days. She always won, crisp and clean, fair and square.

However it was two years ago when a tall lanky skinny (a bit scary)-looking girl show up on her dorm’s door and timidly greet her and make a fool by tripping down flat into her face, Minkyung’s record start being in danger. The raising star athlete Kang Kyungwon, the one that asking her “was it fun doing fencing? Could you show me?” from two years ago, was now the same Kang Kyungwon with white blonde hair behind her mask (she just recently dyed it so that she can be edgy-or something like that) standing in front of her pointing her epee sword to her. It’s not that Kyungwon ever won one competition for once nope she is not (well probably thrice on that amateur level when Minkyung didn’t attend due her track record and she is not gonna count that), but she always come close to it neither it’s on the third or second place or actually giving the hassle to Minkyung on the top 8 after that. Minkyung being Minkyung will never let anyone steal her spot not even once.

Kyungwon didn’t move that much, not even moving her right leg on the rhythm that Minkyung already know like back of her hands, one-two-one-two, back and forth no she is not, Minkyung knows it way too familiar Kyungwon just try to make her right leg as a bait.

People know who is Kim Minkyung, the one would do offensive move without hesitation and the one with scary coupe lance technic. However, even Minkyung may hold scary coupe lance technic that not every people could use (including Kyungwon herself) It’s too risky to use it now even she use beat or bind with the limit time that only left 15 seconds, she was sure Kyungwon not gonna fall into her trap because Kyungwon herself already used with Minkyung’s coupe lance since months ago and she know how to handle that now. Sometimes, Minkyung was amazed Kyungwon is fast even not as her but not many people could handle her coupe lance or get away from it, it was like only 4:10 chance, but for Kyungwon her chance was like 8:10.

Minkyung chuckled behind her mask, Kyungwon will never stop amaze her, yeah her Kyungwon.

“Let’s just end it now.” She muttered under her breath.

If coupe lance, bind, beat and simple forward lunge not gonna work on Kyungwon then might as well using another advance technique.

“You’re done Kyungwon!”  

Minkyung was so sure and she work on her footstep pointing her epee straight into she leaps forward doing fleche, Kyungwon gonna be surprised and yes she gonna win!

Kyungwon was taken aback Minkyung suddenly doing fleche and she was too underestimate her, she thought Minkyung gonna lure her and gonna do her infamous coupe lance but she was so wrong all along. However, unexpected things happened. Kyungwon saw it coming and yes… Minkyung has just to tripped over her long legs because she was so furious to win this match with her and before Minkyung’s sword touch Kyungwon’s body she almost falling on the piste and Kyungwon took this opportunity to lunge forward and attacking her mask.

 

TEEETTTTTTT!!!!

 

The scoring box let out a loud beeping sound and she heard Yebin, Kyulkyung and Eunwoo hollering, Kyla let out a gasp and Siyeon loud “Wohhoo” lastly she heard Nayoung’s husky voice from the outside of the piste said,

“Attack, .. Point.”

 

It’s 15-14…

15 for Kyungwon.

Minkyung undoubly lose….

 

“AAAAAAAAAAARGHHHH!!!”

 

 

                                                                                _____________________

 

Practice already over and they’re currently packing on the locker room before going home. Minkyung could hear Yebin sulks to her sister saying that she lose her bet towards Eunwoo and Siyeon but Kyungwon only ruffles her hair saying “I’m sorry my bad, you didn’t tell me” and she laughs. Oh, Kyungwon’s laugh.. Minkyung loves that.. A lot.

 

“Nice game.” She heard a husky voice coming from her right and Nayoung already stand beside her.

“Thanks, but I lose anyway.”

“No problem, you tried your best.” Nayoung smiled at her.

“Kim Minkyung never lose.”

“It’s only practice Minkyung don’t be so hard to yourself.” Nayoung pats her shoulder.

“Yeah, yeah~.. umm.. anyway, Competition is coming, did you already think where to put Kyla?”

“I’ve think about it, probably gonna put her on the sabre with Yebin, she has some potential, Eunwoo and Siyeon… I think we could worked them up either on foil or epee. I’ll talk with Kyulkyung, she is our manager and I think she already analyzing our chance for the upcoming championship. I’ll speak to coach Park as well after she back from Paris.”

“And what about you? Epee or Foil? ” Minkyung raised an eyebrow to her and Nayoung chuckled

“You want me to play epee with Kyungwon and you on the team right?Don’t you, Minkyung?”

“I just feel great when we played together, chasing 45 points together on the piste.”

“Then I’ll play epee.” Minkyung smiled at Nayoung and wide that Nayoung couldn’t help but smiled back as wide as her.

The locker room door burst open and everyone turned their head towards the door. Kyulkyung already standing there eyes roaming the room and looking for a certain person. Minkyung smiled, she know it.

“Go, she waits.” Minkyung muttered

“Okay.” Nayoung flung her backpack and sword over her shoulder before she walks to Kyulkyung and holds her hands.

“Ahh I wish I can have someone to hold like that.” Kyla said and Minkyung turned her head. The maknae already dressed on her varsity and casual shirt, sword and backpack already flung on her shoulder. Minkyung was about to say something but Siyeon cut her first and flung her arms on Kyla. She didn’t missed Kyla’s cheek’s went red so sudden

“Here, hold onto me now, let’s go back maknae.” Siyeon cheekily smiled and drag Kyla outside. It’s only leaving Kyungwon, Yebin and Siyeon with her now. She look at Kyungwon and Kyungwon smiled. Eunwoo was gagging with Yebin.

“Okayy enough you lovebirds we’re out.” Eunwoo drags Yebin outside and Yebing yelled because she remember something.

“Minkyung unnie, please drag Yewon back I know she loves music and all and happily composing with Sungyeon but we need, no I NEED HER to complete my sabre teams!! Bye I love you!” Eunwoo pinches her arms and Minkyung could heard frantic yelp. “Kidding! I love you more babe!”

She turned her head and Kyungwon already stand beside her.

“Let’s go home, shall we?”

 

                                                                ________________________

They’re walking in silence, side by side hands brushing each other but Kyungwon didn’t even hold her hands. MInkyung enjoy this, since Kyungwon came into the picture she feels like her life being better, she feels complete but if you ask her are they dating each other the answer is no, big bold NO. It’s funny they’re rooming for almost two years, they’re being subtle not subtle with their feeling with each other and yes they admit it they like each other but they didn’t date at all. Thinking about that, somehow Minkyung start to wonder if Kyungwon also think the same like her. So, there was a time like this Minkyung would playfuly ask her.

“So when will you ask me out?” She said that out loud and Kyungwon wasn’t even slightly taken aback, but Kyungwon, she only gave her smug eating face.

“You really looking forward for it don’t you? Don’t worry I ain’t going anywhere.” She tried to reassure her and tried to holds Minkyung’s palms but it’s failed because, instead of holding her palms Kyungwon palms bumping into Minkyung’s sword and bag. Minkyung laughs at this such a dork, romance noob!

“I don’t get you.” She muttered

“I don’t get myself either.” Kyungwon shrugs her shoulder.

“That’s totally something you gonna say.” Kyungwon just nods and keep walking beside her.

They continue to walk in silence, basking each other present with smile plastered on their face. But Minkyung, she still want to press it once more because she loves this moment and the banter with Kyungwon.

“So?”

“Later, when I got first and I beat you on region.” Kyungwon smugly said and Minkyung scoffed at her.

“In your dream.”

“See? That’s the thrill if I just confess right away there’s nothing that I should work hard on because you already wrapped under my fingertips.” Kyungwon claps her hands and grinned widely.

“Eww, your confidence is totally something.”

“Says someone who tripped over her feet when she confidently screams and tried to do fleche to get the point but I’m the one who got free point on her mask.” Kyungwon tease her again and Minkyung glared then shove her away.

“Hey!!”

“Whatever, you still owe me BBQ Chicken later.” Kyungwon laughs and ruffles her hair. Minkyung sway her hands away and pout.

“You still need to treat my wound later, you stab me quite hard you know?”

“Oh ohh where do my princess hurt huh? Here? Here? Let me kiss it.” Kyungwon let a fake gasp and start poking Minkyung’s collarbone, neck and arms then make a kissy face and about to kiss her neck and it make Minkyung’s face red in embarrassment, they’re in public for God’s sake!! She shove her face away and yelled.

“Kang Kyungwon you gross!”

Kyungwon only grinned at her again and make funny face at her, teasing her further.

“It’s not funny if tomorrow someone asking I got hickey on my collarbone.” Minkyung’s glared. It’s true Kyungwon stab her quite hard on that part and it’s abover her chest protector and bellow her mask, Minkyung wonders if it’ll leave nasty marks in the morning

“Just say that Kyungwon gave it last night.” Kyungwon nonchalantly answer that and shurgs.

“I’m serious.”

“That’s why my dear you wear something called clothes and that means no low cut.”

“You planned this didn’t you?” Minkyung glared at her with accusatory gaze and it makes Kyungwon frowned.

“Why would I?”

“You love me too much and you’re being possessive that people gonna see my skin?”

“Say the one who keep stabbing my chest as well.” Kyungwon rolled her eyes and flick Minkyung’s forehead.

“You could just stab my arms.” Minkyung whined at her, Minkyung didn’t really like to whine but for Kyungwon, she could make an exception.

“And you gonna complain like ‘Kyungwonnie I can’t cook my arm hurts, Kyungwonnie can you write this down for me, please? It just need 2000 words more’ and else while you put that kicked puppy eyes of yours? Thank you, but no. I love you but I’m not signed up being your slave.” Kyungwon mimicking her voice and Minkyung start to laughs and scoffed after that.

“Why I’m not surprised?”

“You live for about 2 years under the same roof with me of course you aren’t surprise.”

“You’re weird.”

“I’m weird.” Kyungwon grinned again and really Minkyung will never tired with that eating grin.

 

It’s only a minute after a good laughter she have Kyungwon suddenly calls her.

 

“Hey.”

“What?”

“Hand me your bag and sword.”

“Eh?” She blinked in confussion.

“I can’t hold your hand properly, you know?” She cheekily smiled and Minkyung can’t help but smiled back at her, Minkyung was tired for sure and she’ll not rejecting Kyungwon’s offer if it could relax her tense muscle a bit. So, she handed her sword and bag to Kyungwon and Kyungwon hold her palms, interlacing their fingers together. It’s warm.. Minkyung feels warm and loved.

“How’s now?” She asked Kyungwon and Kyungwon smiled back at her.

“Better.”

 

“Spring is coming.”

“Yeah it is.” Minkyung smiled, she thought that Kyungwon probably gonna start cheesy picked up lines or others. However, Kyungwon just decide to ruin the romantic mood she already thought.

“Time to you to step down from 1st podium also coming.”

“Way to ruin the mood Kang Kyungwon.” She glared and give a monotone answer

“I’m just stating the truth.”

“Whatever.”

“Whatever.”

 Night still young for them and their journey to their dorms under the starry sky still full with banters even their fingers interlacing with each other.

“You still owe me chicken for your lose.” Kyungwon start it again.

“Treat my wound.” Minkyung countered back

“Later.”

“Oh.. also I’m not gonna let you win easily later.”

“Are you sure you can even go to the final?  Let alone final, how about semifinal?”

“Is that a challenge?” She raised an eyebrow.

“Are you up for one?” Kyungwon smirked at her.

“Don’t call me Kim Minkyung if I’m chickened out from that.”

“Don’t worry I’m not gonna call you Kim Minkyung either once I win the tournament?”

“Oh… really? What are you going to call me then?”

“Yeah, I’m gonna call you mine.” Kyungwon said that with a breathy whisper on Minkyung ear and Minkyung has to laugh out loud at how cheesy it sounds.

“You’re weird but I love you.”

“I know, I love myself too.”

She knows Kyungwon like back of her hands and it’s already her nature to answering like that so Minkyung just let it pass because next thing she knows, Kyungwon already wrapped her arms on her shoulder and kissed the side of her head. But yeah… Kyungwon being Kyungwon is a romance noob

 

“Don’t forget the chicken.”

 

Yeah, maybe Minkyung was lose tonight and she has to buy Kyungwon a bucket of chicken later but being like this with Kyungwon, walking down together, side by side under the starry night, bantering and making fun of each other. She wouldn’t trade that for anything. She’ll look up for the upcoming championship and making sure she’s not gonna step down from her throne and also…

.

.

.

.

Making stubborn Kang Kyungwon being hers.

 

 


Notes :

Epee: a fencing weapon with triangular cross-section blade and a large bell guard; also a light duelling sword of similar design, popular in the mid-19th century; epee de terrain; duelling sword.
Sabre : a fencing weapon with a flat blade and knuckle guard, used with cutting or ing actions; a military sword popular in the 18th to 20th centuries; any cutting sword used by cavalry.
Foil :  a fencing weapon with rectangular cross-section blade and a small bell guard; any sword that has been buttoned to render it less dangerous for practice.
Piste :  the linear strip on which a fencing bout is fought; approx. 2m wide and 14m long.
Beat :  an attempt to knock the opponent's blade aside or out of line by using one's foible or middle against the opponent's foible.
Bind :  an action in which the opponent's blade is forced into the diagonally opposite line.
Coupe Lance : a launched hit; an attack that starts before a stop in play but lands after. Valid for normal halts, but not valid at end of time.
Fleche : lit. "arrow"; an attack in which the aggressor leaps off his leading foot, attempts to make the hit, and then passes the opponent at a run. 

I made Nayoung as a captain Team that actually more keen on Foil (Dream Girls MV) but could be all arounder, Siyeon as well and for th others i just put it because i feel like Kyla, Yebin and Yewon seems fit into Sabre while Eunwoo suits into Foil (actually i'm not really sure about Eunwoo) Kyulkyung as the manager. Yewon is Minkyung's sister who currently on a break because injury but found a new interest on composing and singing with Sungyeon (Okay, I can't leave 99s pair because these two are soft buns FIGHT ME!!) 

I think that's all ^^ If you don't mind pls leave some comments here! I's love to see your thought guys!!