008

Never Ever

Senior Year, 20XX

 

 

“I cannot believe I’m letting you two do this.” Rina stated as she followed the two males across the university halls.

Jackson grinned back at her.

“It’s just one class, R.” Mark smirked before extending one hand to her, she sighed and shook off her backpack.

“I know, but what if there’s a surprise quiz?” She reasoned as they went down the steps, Mark was now holding onto her leather backpack.

“Well, surprise!” Jackson replied, Rina just glared at him.

“Relax, R. There’s no quiz, his previous class stated that he’d just be lecturing the same topic again.” Mark said calmly as they reached the parking lot.

“You always say that, and yet~”

“Come on,” Mark sighed and just wrapped one arm around her and pulled her towards his car.

“Rina, you need a break from everything. We’re worried sick that you might suddenly collapse, you know. Our precious baby, you’re always so down.” Jackson sighed.

“We are not going drinking, okay? Just overeating.” She stated, Jackson rolled his eyes before sliding inside his Audi.

“Yes, yes, we’re just eating. Now, get in the car, princess.” Mark chided before pushing her towards his car.

 

 

 

“You seriously want me to think about it?” Rina looked at her friend.

“Yeah.”

“Mark, this is the real world.” Rina checked.

“I know it is.” Mark nodded as he took another spoonful of galbichim.

“But what about Bona?”

“We’re not really…official, R.” Mark explained.

“What about her? You shouldn’t care about her. Blech, blech.” Jackson spoke.

“Wow, so mature.” Rina blinked at him.

“I have to face her later too, I might as well just jump in a pool of acid.” She muttered.

“Your halmae’s birthday, huh?” Mark asked.

“I’m guessing you were invited?”

“See you there.” Mark pressed his nose on the side of her head briefly, she frowned.

“I’m supposed to keep up with false pretenses since halbae doesn’t know anything. They’re all afraid him, just one temper tantrum from him could cause all his children running.” She shook her head.

“But he never gets mad at you, his favorite.” Jackson stated.

“Yeah, look where that got me.” Rina replied.

“An offer of marriage from me.” Mark chuckled, Rina hit his arm.

“I’m just saying, Rinnie baby, seeing you hurt angers me, that’s why I created this perfect plan, I just need you two to execute it.” Jackson said.

“This is marriage, Wang Jackson.”

“I know, I can spell.” Jackson laughed.

Mark grinned at his friend and bumped fists with him.

“I give up.” She raised her palms in defeat, Mark looked at her.

“I’m heading home to change, put badass make up on and practice my fake smiles.”

“Here,” Mark took out his car key.

“Mark~”

“Don’t take a cab, I’ll get the car from you later.” Mark nodded at her.

“See? Such husband material!” Jackson endorsed.

“Shut up!” Rina groaned before exiting the restaurant. Mark watched as the Audi sped away from the building, he sighed.

Lee Rina, sometimes he called her Irina because both sounded so similar. She is an only child, when he first met her Mark thought she was one of those girls, loves to dress up, has to have perfect hair always and he initially thought she’d be picky. But no, the Lee Livestock Group’s favorite grandchild was different. While her cousins drove sports cars and luxury sedans, Rina always preferred her old model Land Cruisers. Despite her usually made up appearance, she was always so different. She loved eating chicken feet, raw fish and was basically up for anything except swimming.

And of course, Rina never forced him to speak when he didn’t feel like talking, she didn’t even know who he was when they first started to be friends.

“What did they say? Do you remember that?” Jackson asked.

“What?”

“Without the Lees then the country would never have fresh produce…? Or something like that.”

“Yeah, I heard that.” Mark nodded. From the moment Jaebum told him who she was, Mark knew LLG, the biggest livestock company in the country, they not only catered to livestock, they also have veterinarian medicines and pharmaceutical products.

“You feel bothered about it, huh?” Jackson spoke quietly.

“She used to be…so bright. And carefree.”

“I heard from Jinyoung that you and Jaebum stayed over for a few nights at her place.”

Mark nodded.

“Hyung, are you..perhaps angry? At her family.”

Mark’s brows met briefly for the past few days, Jaebum and him have been sleeping over at her condo, and every night Mark could hear Rina crying herself to sleep.

“Who wouldn’t be?”

 

 

 

“Oppa, you’re really crazy to be suggesting that to her.”

“What’s crazier is that Mark is okay about it.” Jaebum shook his head, Haena puffed her cheeks.

“Unnie, can be very….implusive, you know that right?” Haena asked.

“Of course, that’s why I suggested it.”

“I don’t think this is something to be proud about.” Jinyoung stated.

“Why? I hate seeing her sad, I don’t want her anger to consume her, my cinnamon roll shouldn’t become burnt and dark inside.”

“I’m pretty sure there’s other ways for us to help her.” Jinyoung stated.

“Rina needs to take LLG from them for them to learn. It’s the perfect revenge.” Jaebum explained.

“And you’re on his side. Wow.” Haena balked.

“I’m just saying, Mark hyung needs an escape, Rina needs power.”

“Right? Rina comes from a prominent family, she’s the perfect girl for him. Rina needs someone who can help her take LLG. It’s a flawless plan.”

“Yeah, relax, it’s only a plan for now.” Jinyoung looked at his girlfriend.

“Nothing’s decided yet, I’m sure Rina isn’t that impulsive.” Jaebum added.

“Ya, you’ll never know.” Jackson hummed.

 

 

Rina pressed herself against the wall and let out a breath, she closed her eyes.

“This is driving me crazy.” She leaned her head back; she puffed her cheeks and decided to steal another peek at the crowd.

A part of her was happy that there were a lot of guests; she had reasons to not greet the elders and chat with them as if nothing had happened. And she managed to dodge her grandfather, she was afraid she might break down if she saw him.

She saw Mark and his parents chatting with her father’s eldest sister, her brows met briefly.

She was about to move when she heard someone speaking from the other side of the wall.

“So? What happened?”

It was her Bona’s father, her second aunt’s husband.

“Nothing really, appa. We just went out to watch a movie and grabbed dinner.” Bona replied.

“Bona, being with him will not only help LLG but our family as well, your father’s business needs help.” It was her aunt speaking.

Rina’s brows met briefly.

“I know, I’ll..”

“Do better. Our household needs a son-in-law like him, your halbae really likes Rina, what will happen to us if she uses that against us?”

Rina shook her head.

“Unbelievable.” She said to herself before pushing herself off the wall.

She waded through the guests, occasionally saying hi and exchanging niceties as she passed by. Her eyes were searching for her friend.

She noticed Minhyuk and his girlfriend talking with halmae by the fountain, he saw her and gave her a wave.

This won’t do. I have to win this.

Rina stopped when he saw Mark, he was speaking with her father. And then Rina saw Bona making her way towards him.

No, I wont let you use him. You snake.

“Mark?” She walked towards him, she saw Bona pause slightly as the two males looked up.

“Are you enjoying yourself?” Her father asked as she reached them.

“Yes, appa. Can I talk to Mark for a bit?” She asked, Mark looked at her questioningly.

“Sure, you kids have fun.” Mr. Lee said before moving away from them.

“Irina, what~”

“Come with me.” Rina took his hand and started pulling him to the garden. Mark followed her, they reached the empty garden, Rina looked around before letting go of him.

“Is something wrong? Do you want to go home?” He asked, his hand was already in his pockets, in search for his keys.

“I have your car, remember?” She grinned, Mark blinked and bit his lip.

“Right, so, what is it? Is it too difficult to be inside?” He asked, she shook her head in reply.

“Let’s do it.”

“What? The Prague tour? Jinyoung already arranged it, we will do it.” Mark replied, she shook her head.

“Irina, you’re supposed to be the chatty one.” Mark looked at her.

 

 

“Marry me.”

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++