029

Never Ever

 

Rina smiled before closing the doors, she turned and paused. Her grandfather was fast asleep, he had two machines attached him but he didn’t need the oxygen mask anymore.

She took the seat near the bed and looked at him.

“How are you, halbae?” She spoke softly.

“For the past few weeks you’ve been..resting, I have been..well, too well.” She looked at her hands briefly.

“I’m so sorry for doing this, everything that I’ve done are all against what you taught me. And everyday, I have to live with that. I took your company because of my anger. But now, now..now that I finally got my revenge…this,” Her palm went to her chest.

“It hurts, halbae.” She sobbed.

“I married Mark to get what I want, to get back at your children. I’m sorry for lying to you. I’m sorry for turning into a monster.” Her tears landed on the sterile floor.

“But, now I’m done, halbae. LLG is safe now. So, so…what frightens me,”

“It’s time to let go, halbae.” She finished.

“I’m sorry for all the hurt I must have cause you and halmae, and this family. I’m so sorry.” She closed her eyes.

“Rina,”

She froze, the elder’s eyes were on her.

“Halbae, I~”

“You’re not a monster, child.”

She shook her head.

“Halbae,…knows, I know what you’ve been doing. And I know what happened from before.”

Rina froze, but the elder smiled weakly and reached for her hand.

“I hear your uncle and aunts talking. I’m not a fool.”

“Halbae, I can explain~”

“Actually, I should be the one apologizing to you,” He said softly, Rina saw the tears roll down her cheeks.

“I should have done something for you. I am your grandfather; I should be able to protect you. And look now, I let you suffer alone, I let you down.”

Rina shook her head fervently.

“Halbae, you~”

“I’m sorry for not teaching my children properly, my granddaughter. I’m sorry for letting you go through this. The fact that you had to turn to another family for help, it will eat my forever.” The elder squeezed her hand.

“At least I still have you, halbae.” She nodded and brushed her tears away.

“I will always have your back, Rina. Even if I memory starts to fade away. My memory has not been doing so well recently.”

Rina nodded, then the elder reached over to pull up her chin, he smiled as he met her gaze.

“So, don’t let go of your husband. He’s the only one I trust that can take care of you. It has to be him. Just him.”

 

 

 

 

Rina pushed the doors open, she dropped her bag on the floor before walking to the kitchen. She got herself a glass of water and leaned against the counter as she drank.

“Why can’t you just admit it, Rina?”

“Admit what?”

“That you love him.”

She set the glass down and shook her head. Then she noticed the note taped on the fridge, she plucked it out.

I spoke to your halbae’s doctor. He’s doing better now, he doesn’t need the oxygen support. I saw him for a bit, he said he wants to see you. –Mark

Rina sighed, she could hear the TV from the living room.

 

 

Mark looked up as he heard the familiar tick-tacking of heels against the floor.

“I’m sorry…I had..” She trailed off, Mark looked up from the couch.

“An overdrive?” He offered, Rina looked at him and her lips quirked up.

“Yeah, that.” She nodded.

“Have you eaten? I made~”

“No, I’m not hungry, I just…” Her brows furrowed, Mark just opened one arm to her. She smiled before slowly sitting on his lap and wrapping her arms around his neck.

“Rough day?” He asked while rubbing her back soothingly. Rina just leaned her chin on his shoulder.

“I’m just glad it’s ending.” She replied before closing her eyes, Mark nodded and kissed her hair.

Mark, I may have said some things…I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable about it.” She said quietly.

“I’m not.” Mark replied, she smiled and just tightened her arms around him.

“Good.”

“Are you free tomorrow?” Mark asked quietly.

“I can make time for you, I guess.” She said lightly, Mark chuckled as she leaned back to meet his gaze.

Why? Do we have to go somewhere? With ma and pa?” She asked.

“Ani, just us. We both need a break, R.” Mark replied.

“Break as in me yelling at my uncle at a hospital hallway with people watching and possibly listening?” She asked.

“You don’t have to worry about that, I already took care of it.”

“What if people start talking, Mark? That won’t be good for you, the elders are here too.”

“We can deal with that after Jaebum’s party this Sunday.” Mark shrugged.

“Can we skip that?” She sighed.

“We can’t. He will kill you.” He grinned.

“But~”

“Now let’s get some food in your system, Irina.” Mark said, Rina eyed him warily before standing up, he grinned before pulling her to the kitchen.

Rina watched as Mark walked up to the counter, she looked at the ring on her finger and exhaled.

“So, don’t let go of your husband. He’s the only one I trust that can take care of you. It has to be him. Just him.”

She touched it briefly before walking up to him.

“Thanks for that note, Tuan.” She said before taking a seat on one of the stools, Mark just nodded and grabbed an empty bowl and a plate.

But I am, I am uncomfortable, R. To you, am I just a friend?

 

 

 

Okay, you wanted to go to the beach? And of all people you..chose me to come with you?” Rina questioned, Mark grinned and tossed the Goyard duffel at the backseat of the Land Cruiser.

Rina blinked.

The kids are coming too.” He announced just as the guards brought their dogs in leashes and helped them climb the car, Coco ran to Mark and he lifted the dog in his arms.

Mark~” She stopped and expertly caught the keys when Mark tossed them to her.

“We’re using your car, you’re driving.” Mark chuckled before going to the front seat.

“Of course, you panic at the sight of a manual transmission.” She pointed out before getting in the driver seat.

Mark just grinned and strapped his seatbelt on.

“Why are we doing this, Tuan?” She asked him as the car started to move. Mark just smiled and set Coco down.

You’ll see, Irina. Be patient.

 

 

Rina stared at the yacht briefly; Mark was talking to the captain with Prince and Lucy on his heels.

She tied her hair in a loose ponytail before putting on her sunglasses.

“Can I go ahead?” She asked him, Mark gave her a nod, she grinned before walking to the yacht and crossing the plank.

“Samonim,”

She smiled at Mark’s head security.

“That was some show yesterday, huh?”

“You held your own ground, samonim. I’m proud of you.” He grinned, Rina chuckled.

“I try. How…How is he?” Rina asked, the guard looked away briefly.

“Vice president…he has been drinking a lot lately.”

Rina paused.

“Drinking? Mark doesn’t even like alcohol.”

“Yes, something must be bothering him. Can..Can you talk to him about this? The other staffs are worried.” He asked politely.

“Of course I will, oppa.” She patted the man’s arm before heading in; she looked up and noticed the seal. It had the usual Tuan Group seal printed on it.

“See? It’s not so bad, right?” Mark came up to her, Summer was already seated on one of the seats.

You want to talk about it, huh?” Rina swallowed. Mark’s brows rose.

“About what happened yesterday,” She started, then she jumped when the yacht started to move. Mark smiled and steadied her.

“I want to. But today, just today,” Mark met her gaze, Rina paused.

“Can’t we just be Mark and Rina? College buddies, the girl who cursed at me the first day of class? The guy classmate who almost crashed your car in junior year?”

Rina looked at him, she bit her lower lip.

Please, just today?” Mark cupped her cheeks.

Fine, let’s be normal again.” She smiled, Mark grinned and kissed her forehead before going to the captain and the two crew members. She exhaled and sat down beside her dog.

 

 

“What is happening to me?” She murmured.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++