Chapter 1

Secrets That Boys Keep

It was around 4:15pm when Yuta strolled into his home after school. He noticed his parents' cars in the driveway. That's not normal... wonder what's going on, he thought. He heard his parents talking in the front room, but headed upstairs to change out of his uniform.

"Yuta dear, please come and sit with us, we need to talk," Yuta's mother yelled upstairs.

"Yes?" He finished changing and went to where his parents were waiting and sat on the couch with his mom.  "What do you want to talk about?"

“Son, we have to move. We won’t be in Japan anymore. My job wants me to move overseas," his father sternly said.

“No,” Yuta began with defiance lacing his voice. “You can go, but I don't want to move. I like my home. All my friends are here too. You can leave me here by myself. I’m not going!" Yuta's voice got louder and louder until he was yelling.

“You have no choice!" His father yelled back at him.

“I do! I’m leaving!” Yuta screamed and ran out of the house. He went to his friend’s house leaving his mother stunned and his father angry.

He rang the bell and his friend answered. “Hey Yuta, what’s wrong?” Ryu was surprised to see Yuta at his house, considering it was a weekday and they had a lot of schoolwork.

“My... my parents... they said we have to move.” Yuta was out of breath and his anger wasn’t helping much.

“Um... okay then, want to come in? My parents are home so keep it down, okay?” Yuta nodded.

They walked upstairs to Ryu’s bedroom. The room’s walls were a navy shade in color. It had a black velvety couch and a few anime pictures on the wall.  Mostly posters of mechas and bloody, gory fighting scenes. Although there was also a pastel-shaded print of a dreamy couple, gazing deep into eachother's eyes. Both of the occupants having their "manly" qualities, but no matter.

There also was a bed, which was very rarely used. The reasons were unknown, but perhaps it was due to Ryu's habit of staying up late reading manga, playing video games, and watching movies online, all while basking in the comfort of his sofa.

“Ryu, you’re the only person I know that cleans their room everyday when they get home.”

“I’m going to take that as a compliment.” Ryu defended himself light-heartedly.

“It wasn‘t meant to be.” Yuta, of course, was joking. He had a smile on his face.

“How dare you joke about that!” Ryu said, playfully jumping on Yuta in a mock fight.

“Calm down.” Yuta soothingly spoke, in a mock taunt, as the harmless Ryu stood 6 inches shorter. There wasn't much of a challenge!

“I am calm.” Ryu said, sitting on the couch. “When do you leave?”

“Don‘t know.” Yuta sat on the sofa beside Ryu and then pulled Ryu onto his lap. “I don‘t want to leave.”

“I don‘t want you to leave either. But we know your parents.” Yuta had to agree with that. “But let‘s enjoy these last few days.”

“Okay.” They kissed. The kiss was sweet and loving. There was so much compassion in it. They stopped when the phone rang a few minutes later.

Ryu answered the phone out of breath, “Hello?”

“Hun, are you okay?” It was Yuta’s mother and Ryu figured it out.

“Hello, Mrs. Nakamoto. Yes, I‘m fine.”

“Is Yuta there?”

“Yes ma‘am.” Ryu looked over at Yuta and motioned that it was his mom. Yuta rolled his eyes.

“Please send him back home to pack, and tell him that we leave tomorrow. I‘m sorry about you two boys having to be separated.”

“Yes ma‘am, I‘ll tell him and thank you.”

“Have a nice day, Ryu.”

“Same to you, Mrs. Nakamoto.” Ryu hung up the phone and turned back to Yuta with a mournful face.

“What‘s wrong, Ryu?” Yuta asked, somehow knowing it was about him leaving.

“Your mom wants you to go home and pack. You have to leave tomorrow.” Ryu answered, very upset. “Yuta, I‘m sorry but I don‘t think I could handle a long-distance relationship.”

“Are you breaking up with me? Again?” Yuta asked.

Ryu bent his head down in surrender. “I‘m sorry, if only I was stronger.”

“I like you the way you are, don‘t ever change.” Yuta said letting Ryu move so he could get up. He gave Ryu a kiss on the cheek, “I guess I had better get going home. We‘ll still be friends, right?” Yuta said looking directly into Ryu’s eyes.

“Of course.” Ryu gave a slight smile to his frown. “Just give me a call when you get all settled in.”

“Okay.” Yuta gave Ryu another kiss and Ryu started crying. “Don‘t cry, okay? Just don‘t.” Yuta gave Ryu a deep kiss this time, said goodbye and left.

When Yuta arrived home, he packed everything. His mother noticed that he was more upset then when he had left for Ryu’s. When she offered to help him, Yuta almost chewed her out with insults. He hated his parents even more now that they had made Ryu break the relationship between them.

The next morning they left for the airport and Yuta had hoped, since he called and told Ryu when they left, that he would be there, but he wasn’t. When they were about to land the flight attendant said, “Welcome to New Jersey”. When they landed they met Kei, Yuta’s older sister with their luggage. Kei had already rented a car to get them to their new house. Once arriving, Kei showed them all around.

The new house had three stories. The first story had a living room, a kitchen with a large dining room, and bathroom. The second floor had two bedrooms each with their own bathroom, and an open space that could serve as a second living room. The third floor was the same with two bedrooms but had a bathroom in the hall. It also had a living room area that led out to a beautiful balcony. The living room area on this floor had tons of books so it was safe to say it was the Library floor regardless of the fact people lived there just feet away. This house was much larger in comparison to their old home back in Osaka, Japan. Yuta stared around in pure envy. He wondered what his older sister did for a living because she never revealed what her job was.

“It doesn’t matter what my employment is. You should be happy that I make enough money in America to survive AND still be able send mom and dad a significant amount of money. You should take school seriously so you can have a job like me one day,” Kei always replied.

It was annoying how she would always rub Yuta’s grades in his face like he was really that dumb. He was a C-student. He could still have a good future. He grumbled in frustration to himself and got weird looks from his mother.

“What is wrong with your face?” his mother asked.

“Nothing. I’m just tired,” Yuta replied. Turning to his sister he asked, “Can you show me where my room is?”

“Sure, it’s on the second floor. The room on the right. Not the left. That’s Sana’s room.”

“Is Sana home yet?” Yuta asked hesitantly, but with obvious excitement in his voice.

“No. You can go with me to pick her up from school later if you want,” Kei said.

“Definitely!” Yuta exclaimed before trudging himself to his room. He missed his little sister like crazy. Just five years ago, Sana left home to pursue schooling in South Korea because she wanted to be a Pop Idol.

Just last year, she quit schooling in South Korea and flew to New Jersey to stay with their older sister. She never revealed the reason why and Yuta worried about her everyday. Partially because she was his little sister and partially because it had been his dream to be a Pop Idol in South Korea as well. At least he didn’t need straight A’s to do it and he was an excellent dancer.

Even while thinking about Sana, her schooling, and being a Pop Idol, a lingering thought was constantly there: Ryu. Ryu had been his biggest supporter of his dream other than his little sister. He had rooted for him and cheered for him when no one else was there to do so. When his father called him worthless because he could get an A in dance class and not in math or government history, Ryu stood by him and told him he was amazing and worthy. When his father would try and ground Yuta from leaving the house when he had a dance recital, Ryu would be the one who would sneak Yuta out of the house to go and perform and sneak him back in without getting caught even once.

Yuta’s heart was aching for Ryu and without him knowing it, as he went through all the memories of them, tears continued to stream down his face. He wondered if Ryu and his relationship could ever be rekindled. He wondered if it could not be rekindled, would he ever find love again?

Was fate somehow leading him to his next love? What if Ryu wasn’t his true soulmate like they both believed? Surely fate wouldn’t have allow them to have broken up three times and Yuta moved to the opposite side of the planet if they were meant to be? Perhaps New Jersey holds his true soulmate and this breakup was supposed to happen. Yuta became confident after talking to himself.

“I’m going to find my true soulmate no matter what. He’s here. I know it,” Yuta whispers to himself. And at that, he falls asleep with excitement in his heart.


A new city for a new beginning.

A/N: Hey everyone, I am back again with a bang! Sorry that I updating stories but I am back to it Lol Subscribe if you like it so far! Thanks! :)