Breaking Sun

The way she smiles

Shortly after Moonbyul arrived at the railway station, the automatic, tape voice announced the fast train arriving on the platform three. She wasn't anticipating it anymore, but she was looking out for it. Funny how other girlfriends could barely stand on one their places as they got the information, even funnier was how the boyfriends awaited their girlfriends. Some of them even held bouquets of flowers behind their backs. Was Moonbyul jealous? Hell with that! She was turning green with envy. Pointlessly thinking, she couldn't remember the last time she'd gotten anything from Minhyuk. 

They welcomed each other warmly, a hug, a quick peck and Moonbyul carrying Minhyuk's rucksack. Typical. The first think he had to have done was to put his new, very expensive headphones down, fix his perfectly styled hair and spend the next ten minutes checking himself out in the nearest object that reflected his visual. As hard as Moonbyul tried not to roll her eyes, she had let out a huge sigh of relief. To her surprise, Minhyuk had caught up to that and his expression changed rapidly.

"Are you okay?" he asked worriedly, looking at Byul's reflection in the window.

"I'd be if you'd carry your bag on your own," Moonbyul said, sarcasm trying to break through her gritted teeth. "It's embarrassing to make a girl carry your luggage."

"Oh," Minhyuk deadpanned for a second, his expression blank. "I didn't realize it bothered you so much." One last touch up on his hair and he was already reaching for the stripe of his rucksack.Without hesitation, Moonbyul let it drop in her boyfriend's hands, hoping it would fell to the ground and broke something of his precious belongings. "Did you cook something for me?"

Moonbyul was pretty much upset by now, yet she smirked to herself. "I cooked your favorite," she announced, her hands slipping in her jacket pockets. She could see Minhyuk's eyes lit up and his smile grew wider. 

"Gopchang Gui?" Minhyuk asked. 

"You wish," she snorted.

"What then?"

"You'll be pleasantly surprised... I think," she grinned, her intentions dark and full of mischief as she started to trail off to the car waiting for them, leaving the confused good for nothing boyfriend behind. 

*************************************************************************************

"Thank you for choosing our library," Solar bowed over her counter table, waved off her costumer and her polite smile faded right away. It turned upside down and her lips pursed quite disgustedly. 

The door bell didn't even sound off, signaling that the costumer had officially left the library, Solar already skipped in inhuman speed to the back, stock room, which was only available for the staff members. She rushed up the small wooden stairs, that rather looked like ladder steps, reaching the top of a tall bookcase. It created a perfectly angled corner, a quiet place for anyone similar to Solar to love spending time there. Pillows and fluffy blankets were situated there, making the corner look comfortable and cozy, small flashlights were hung on a chain from one wall to the other, creating a pretty bright light for a pleasant reading session. 

Solar crawled her way to her little secret getaway and shimmied under one of the fuzzy pink blankets. A book laid by the pillows with a bookmark sticking out quite far in the pages. Solar took it in her hands and took a deep inhale, her smile returning and with determination, as if she was diving into an ocean of words, she started to read the pages of a romance novel. 

*************************************************************************************

Meanwhile at Moonbyul's place, an argument was about to get heated. Byul placed a bowl of dried seaweed in front of Minhyuk. He wasn't sure if he was seeing right, if Moonbyul was trying to be funny or to piss him off, but one think he knew for sure, this was far beyond his expectation. Moonbyul had a dirty sneer over her face, her arms crossed over her chest as she was having a nice time seeing Minhyuk's puzzled expression. His lips were closing and opening mutely, his eyes dashing from the bowl to his girlfriend, back to the bowl and back at her again. The gestures were what made Moonbyul almost laugh out, he was just twisting his wrists around, cocking his hands side to side.

"This is my surprise?" he finally formed few words.

"I assume you feel quite surprised," said Byul.

"Definitely shocked." Minhyuk jerked his head to the side and squinted his eyes at Moonbyul, confusion written all over his face. "Can you stop fooling around? I'm seriously starving here."

"Oh are you?" Moonbyul smacked her hands down on her knees, sarcastic concern on her face. "Then you better make yourself something to eat?" she said suggestively and pointed to her own forehead. "I told you, if I keep picking you up at the station, you either pay the gas or help with the groceries. That's all I have left, Minhyuk," her finger pointed accusingly at the dried seaweed. 

Minhyuk stuttered, unable to say a proper word. This was unheard of, Moonbyul confronting him was. He felt attacked, as if he had done something wrong. But he was Lee Minhyuk, he has never been wrong.

"I don't have an income yet, Byul," he explained himself, at least he tried.

"Really? You get higher allowance than my wage," Moonbyul said, her finger tapping her bottom lip. "Yeah, and since we started dating, I've spent load of money on you, sweetheart."

"Don't be like this, Byul. I've spent money on you too," Monhyuk tried to save himself with cheap arguments. 

"Those three birthdays I have had? And the three Christmases we've spent together yet separately? Let me actually think what you've gotten for me... Right, every birthday I get a boquete styled fruit salad and a jewelry that I am not even able to wear," pointed out the girl. She brushed her hair behind her ear, making it stick out. "Can you see any earrings? No? Well I don't even have my ears pierced and I've got three pairs of earrings in my jewelry box from you!"

"How was I supposed to know?" Minhyuk turned his palms out and bounced his shoulders clueless. 

"We're dating for three years, Minhyuk, don't tell me you've never noticed," she crossed her arms angrily. 

Minhyuk couldn't find further excuses, she was perfectly right. Just like every other time they've fought over something. Moments like these brought tears to Moonbyul's eyes at night. She was very sensitive inside, even though she showed such a tough outside. There were times she would break down in front of Minhyuk, however she's never let anyone take care of her business. Her whole life was one big of a mess. Her parents were in a process of divorcing, her brother has been trying to get into the underground world since she's left their home, her university applications have been turned down for two years in a row and she felt profoundly useless. The depression she was dealing with was gradually evolving into a worse state and she really hoped that the only person by her side would at least be a good support. But not even Minhyuk could bring happiness in her life anymore. 

Soccer. That's what she really wished to do now, to bring her to other thoughts. However, she was forbidden to do so while Minhyuk was visiting. He always spoke about the importance of spending time together and how rude it would be if he would wander off to swim lessons while Moonbyul was at his place. Moonbyul had to admit that it was a nice way to think, but it was probably the only thing close to romantic treatment in their relationship. Although Minhyuk would not fully enjoy the time with Byul once she had canceled everything because of him. He would lie in front of her TV and eat out her grocery supplies and she would only sadden over the image of her love life breaking apart right in front of her very eyes. 

There was a loud burst of the front door. Without any warning it shot open and Moonbyul's roommate, Wheein came marching in. She wore some very high heels which echoed through the hallway and across all of their apartment. Minhyuk only jerked up from his lying position on the couch and cursed under his breath. Wheein didn't bother to greet the "intruder" as she loved to call him and aimed straight to the kitchen, where Moonbyul doomed over a cookery book and a cup of hot tea. Moonbyul was as well completely startled, but she still muttered a word of salutation as Wheein came in grinning. 

"What 'chu doin'?" Wheein said in a sing-song voice, leaning against the counter top, supporting her chin with her hand. 

"I found your book," Moonbyul said as she calmed her racing heart. "Hope you don't mind."

"Not at all," Wheein pouted, grabbed one edge of the book between her thumb and index finger, lifting it up a little. "Although I was supposed to take this back to the library like a month ago?" she muttered and grinned at Moonbyul, her eyes disappearing into crescents.

"You're crazy," said Byul, only able to shake her head.

"I've met the boys at the park," Wheein stood straight, her fingers flirtatiously grazing the counter top. "They were asking if you'd come and play today," her lips were pursed and slightly suggestive.

"I hope you didn't lead them on," Byul rolled her eyes.

"Who knows," beamed Wheein. She glanced at Moonbyul and winked at her. "Can we get something?"

"I don't have money, sweetheart," the tone of the taller girl was much more sarcastic than she wanted to.

"It's my treat... And your brother's," Wheein grinned. 

"What?" Moonbyul deadpanned.

"Surprise! Hoseok told me not to tell you until it's definite. I've met him in the park and he told me that he was moving in with us," Wheein cheered joyfully, making a graceful spin.

"How come I don't know about it?" 

"It goes through the landlord, the informations. And I, as a rightful co-owner of this place, I agreed to take Hoseok in," Wheein beamed again, bright and happy about the huge reveal, feeling as if her mission impossible was a great success. "Aren't you happy?"

"Why of all people it must be my brother?" Moonbyul whined, her voice still sort of deep and not girly. "It took me forever to afford this place and now he will be walking in like a king of the world?"

"At least you can keep an eye on him," Minhyuk interfered with a lame ado, making Moonbyul grit her teeth hard not to say something hurtful.

"I'm not pleased to say this, but he is correct for once in his life," Wheein whispered and nodded her head few times. "You always complained about him taking the wrong paths in life, now you can be his tutor."

"More like a babysitter."

"He is your brother, Moonbyul," Wheein whined. 

"Fine, fine," Moonbyul raised her hand and waved off the unbeatable arguments.

She sighed finally and rook her cup of tea and locked herself up in her room, leaving an awkward Wheein pace around the kitchen on her tiptoes, not feeling daring enough to disturb Minhyuk's TV session with her high heels.

*****************************************************************************************************

After locking up every entrance of the library, Solar took her time to leave. She thoughtfully dug her keys under all content of her handbag, rummaging through all the small accessories she carried around. Having picked the bigger bag, Solar was sure to visit the shop that evening. Fridge of her apartment was screaming from emptiness and her stomach rumbled regularly sometime around this hour. Nothing was suitable for consuming in her fridge, if you don't count the expired yogurt and some disgusting fish filets that had been lying around since her mother had visited on Christmas. 

Walking in the fresh air of the evening, Solar had brought her thick scarf around her arms and shoulders as some kind of a blanket. After a while of walking, she finally found the shop she visited most often, still lit up and busy. She pushed passed the glass door and politely greeted the cashier lady.

Milk, check.

Sausages, check.

Bread and eggs, check. However there were still missing some snacks. She skipped to the alley, her eyes roaming all the goods stocked up on the shelves, salivating and eyes beaming. As much as she loved snacks and sweets, nothing had ever shown on her body. To be honest, she hated working out, she could be counted as a lazy person, but it never showed up on her appearance. Maybe it was because she was short, and her body held the form, so she wouldn't look like a small puff ball, although she would always eat whatever came under hand. 

This time though, the onion flavored crisps wouldn't come in her hand. They were stock on the highest shelf, probably purposely to be out of reach from children. And short people as Solar was. 

"Jeez," she muttered. "Come on~," her fingers wiggled a perfect octopus dance as she finally could at least feel the surface of the bag. "Why, people, why?" she almost cried. 

Solar was completely stretched out, standing tiptoe on one leg, because the other couldn't touch the ground anymore. Her right leg was floating in the air. She was balancing herself out with her left hand, which also held the basket full of other fragile groceries, and her right hand was completely stretched to it's maximum, still unable to grab a hold of the snack bag. If there was anything reflecting Solar's expressions, the whole store would be laughing. She looked in pain, almost tearing up.

Once, she gave up. She exhaled harshly and glared up at the top shelf. A determined expression took over her gorgeous features and lips curved to one side. Quietly, she placed the shopping basket on the floor tiles, dusted off her palms and crouched a little. She took a quick observation of her surroundings. Once it was all clear and human-less, she made a tall jump and reached her right hand for the bag.

Nothing happened. Another sickening silence took over and Solar wasn't sure if she made any sound at all. The bag hadn't moved an inch and she was getting really upset. Once in a while she'd get enough money to buy some junk food, yet she still isn't able to get any. 

She crossed her arms over her chest, her foot tapping the floor angrily and if this was a cartoon, there would be smoke coming out from the top of her head. The glare she wore was poisonous, however it didn't work on the junk food on the top shelf.

"I'll get you, just wait," she threatened in an aggressive whisper.

Suddenly her imagination flew around the place, the book she has read a while ago, a scene from there coming vividly into her mind. The male protagonist came around the kitchen, saw his lady in distress as she desperately tried to get a salt can from the top shelf in her kitchen. Cute as she was, the male smiled to himself, adoring his lady. He stood up behind her, her back pressed against his chest and he reached up for the salt can with such ease. This action took the lady by surprise and once she turned around to see her savior, her heart thumped, her cheeks flushed red and eyes barely able to look at the mister. "Here," the mister handed her the salt can, his smile still handsome and kind. She was at loss of words, what was she ought to say? "How can I repay the favor?" the playfulness in her tone was undeniable. "Next time, just ask for my help," and he leaned in to kiss his lady on her plump, pink lips.

"Here," a voice came startling Solar. 

Her daydream was disturbed too suddenly and too harsh and she wasn't able to recognize the reality for a moment. She turned around too quick, her eyes going blurry and her head spinning from the force. Luckily, she grabbed the edge of one of the shelves on her level, although her legs have gave in, she was still able to hold herself up. There was a tall girl standing now in front, but before behind, her. She had her long dark hair let fallen past her shoulders, her eyes dark and round and a cute little sideways smile. Perhaps Solar wouldn't be so frightened if it wasn't for her tall yet amazingly skinny figure.

"Sorry, have I scared you?" the girl spoke and passed Solar a bag of snacks.

"I was just lost in my own world," Solar paled and quickly stood to her feet properly. Her bow was short and urgent.

"I'm sorry then," the girl smiled again and threw the bag in Solar's shopping basket which was still on the ground. "You're welcome though."

"Oh, thank you very much," Solar said all too fast. "How can I repay your kindness?" Somehow this phrase came all too familiar to Solar, sending shivers down her spine and a confused grimace appear on her pretty face.

"Just ask for someone tall to help you," the girl winked and with a cool way of walking took off. 

Solar was dazed for a moment, as if lightning had through her. When she realized how novel-like this scene was, with a little humor mixed into it, she rushed to the edge of the alley, taking a peak at the kind girl one last time. There she was, walking toward a couple, which was waiting for her anticipatively. The other girl was a short a bit chubbier girl wearing a baby pink track suit and two pig tails, her smile so strong that her eyes disappeared into crescents. The boy on the other hand looked very cool, handsome and distant, because he was only looking at his cell phone and his free hand was leisurely stuck in his jeans' pocket. Once the tall rescuer lady arrived, the short girl cheered and pointed to a big bottle of champagne, while the male only lifted his gaze up and snickered, leaving the shop early.

Solar screwed an either determined or displeased expression, her hand clenched in a fist, the knuckles turning white slowly. 

"Who are you stalking, Sun?" a raspy female voice came shocking Solar once again.

This time, however, it was too much of a stressful situation and she had slipped to the ground with a yelp. The whole store turned to their direction, especially the two girls she had been keeping an eye on. Solar quickly turned around and her gaze locked with a concerned one of the tall girl. Clumsily, she tried to get up to her feet, Solar did, and as soon as done, she bowed deeply with an embarrassed grin. 

The other girl with the raspy voice just glanced over Solar's shoulder with a completely dumbstruck face. In a moment, she had been pushed by Solar back deeper into the alley. 

"Care telling me what's going on?" the girl asked, grabbing a hold of Solar's shoulders.

"Can you not?" Solar scolded her and her eyes were cutely flaming with anger. "Hwasa, you're the worst!"


 

A/N: So here is the first chapter. Nothing important happening just yet, however it will evolve eventually. Please let me know what you think about it in the comments and support the story with a subscribe and a vote. Thank you very much!