Chapter 8

The Only Exception

Sowon’s POV

“WHAT?!”

‘Did I hear wrong? Yerin? THE Yerin? That bit**?!’

I tried to compose myself, but I just had so many questions on my mind that didn’t let me do so. I looked Sinb up and down trying to detect if maybe…hopefully it was just one of her usual jokes, but she was just eating her cereal with a poker face.

“What did you just say?” I asked hopeful that maybe I just misheard and she said another name.

I watched as she looked me dead in the eyes, swallowed her food and opened after that. “I said ’Yerin’.”

‘Ok. I didn’t misunderstand. She really said that. Okay…Wait. No, that’s not okay!’

I looked at her with confusion written all over my face. “Wait….ehh… since when are you two talking again? And wait… wasn’t she in America or something?”

Sinb just nodded and gulped down the last spoon of cereal she had. “Yeah she moved back a while ago.”

I watched as she put the bowl and spoon into the dishwasher and waited for her to answer my other question, but it didn’t seem like she intended to continue. So I asked her again. “That still didn’t answer why and since when you are talking again to that ty little brat.” I said it with clear disgust and Sinb just sighed at my remark and walked back to the seat in front of me.

“Look I know that you don’t like her” I interrupted her with a “duh” and she just glared at me and continued “Anyway, I saw her again at the party and there was a weird encounter with her, or more like I was being weird, so I wanted to go home.” I nodded my head, because I remembered that she went up to me and said that she wanted to go home that day.

“But before I could go home she stopped me and we talked a little. She said that she missed me and we hugged after herboyfriendleft and ….” She said the last part so fast that I couldn’t understand what it was that she said so I asked her to repeat it. She sighed and looked down and said it again as fast as before. So I asked her again to repeat and she just rolled her eyes and said it a little louder and slower this time “I  said after her boyfriend left.“

 After she said that I was as confused as ever. “Wait wasn’t she totally gay? Like, even more than you are?”

Sinb just shrugged with her shoulders” She said that she doesn’t even feel anything for him and that her father wanted her to be with him. When I first saw him I thought that he looked familiar and now I know why. Remember that birthday party she threw for her 17th?” She asked and I tried to remember that party, but nothing came to my mind so I shook my head. Suddenly, Sinb started to laugh and I just looked at her confused. ‘What’s so funny?’

When Sinb calmed down from her fit of laughter she continued. “Well, it doesn’t surprise me that you don’t remember that anymore, because you were sleeping through the whole party.”

Oh. Ok now I remember. “I remember now, but that was the day when I had an exam and learned the whole night before for it!” I tried to defend myself, but Sinb just chuckled.

“But you fell asleep on the toilet!” She bursted out laughing again and I just slapped her shoulder and urged her to continue with what she was talking about earlier.

“Ok, ok… anyway I saw him at the party. His father was friends with Yerin’s. So after she had to transfer to another school her father arranged some dates for them to ‘get her out of her phase’. Yerin had no other choice than to oblige so they started dating.” I listened carefully to what Sinb had to say and actually started to sympathize a bit with Yerin. Rather than accepting her for who she is her parents tried to force her to be someone else, someone they could proudly present to all the other rich snobs.

“Anyway she is going to break it off with him today.”

“But what about her parents?” I asked. Sinb sighed.

“I don’t know. We haven’t really talked about that” She said and sighed and I nodded at her statement. We continued talking about Yerin and she told me everything that happened. I actually started to hate her less now, but there was still a big part of me that was mad at her. Yerin and I never really were that good of friends. I was a grade above them and only really knew Sinb, because we were neighbours and best friends since kindergarten. I never really talked to Yerin that much, but after Sinb told me that they were together I wanted to get to know her better. However, two months later everything went downhill and I started to hate her. But who wouldn’t be mad at the person who broke your best friend’s heart and made her suffer that much. Sinb really had a hard time during her senior year of high school and I couldn’t even help her, because I already graduated. The only thing I could do was be there for her when she came to my house after school with tears flowing down her cheeks.

She was bullied at school, because of Yerin. She cried almost every day and even tried to take her life at one point, because she just couldn’t take it anymore. Nobody besides Umji and I were there for her. Yerin left, her parents hated her and her other friend didn’t want to do anything with her anymore. And because of that I’m just not able to forgive her yet. She almost made me lose Sinb…

We talked in the kitchen for a while and watched a tv show in the living room after that, but when I saw that it was already four pm I started to make myself ready for my date with Eunha. Sinb helped me pick my outfit and do my makeup. We decided on a rosé coloured short dress and some ballerinas. After getting ready I said a quick goodbye to Sinb and got into my car to drive to Eunha’s house to pick her up.

I’m normally not one to get nervous, but right now I am nervous like hell. I just don’t want to ruin anything. After trying to get my heart rate a bit slower I started to ring her doorbell. I waited for a few second before the door flung open and revealed the most beautiful person on this planet. She greeted me with a mesmerizing smile that could light up the whole god damn universe and I swear I felt my heart stop to beat for a few seconds.

“Hey” she said in almost a whisper with her beautiful smile still plastered on her face and mirrored her with a smile on my own face and greeted her back.

“Hey”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:

Sorry that you had to wait for so long for the next chapter. School was taking a toll on me and decided to suffocate me with a load of homework and projects :(

Anyway I know this chapter is pretty short, but I hope you will like it nevertheless. The next chapter will be about the date of Sowon and Eunha, btw.