fin.

gladly hit the road
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Boo Seungkwan had better things to do.

 

That was the one thought going through his mind as he stood under the blistering heat of the sun in the middle of the park, with a cart of ice cream that didn't even have one of those large umbrellas. He was absolutely tempted to just run off and find some shade, munching on all the frozen things he can; he would have done just that except he wasn't even paid enough to afford a few bars of ice cream, which made everything a lot sadder. Part of him was also almost positive most of the ice cream bars in the cart were nearly melting. Life as a working student was hard.

 

Summer vacation was approaching, sure, but he still had a few more weeks of school and exams.

 

Seungkwan tried to focus on how school was ending soon instead of the scorching sun, succeeding in distracting himself long enough to notice something else. It was one thing to see kids playing around the park, but seeing people near his age mess around made him both curious and jealous. Curious because was that Wen Junhui and Kwon Soonyoung riding skateboards? Jealous because he wanted to be having fun too instead of tending an ice cream cart. At least he had entertainment. The boys from his school were loud enough to be heard from where he stood, regardless of the short distance.

 

"C'mon, Junhui, we can totally do this," Soonyoung exclaimed, pointing towards the short set of steps that led to the lower part of the park. "It's not that scary!"

 

"Break a leg!" Kim Mingyu hollered in glee. Beside him the Chinese exchange student from last year, Minghao, was shaking his head, judging the scene before him yet also evidently too interested in what was happening to stop it. The two were in a higher batch than Seungkwan, as were the others, but all of them were pretty well known around campus. Grinning alongside them was Lee Seokmin, also their batch and...

 

"They're landing themselves in the hospital for sure. We better call Jisoo already."

 

Hansol Vernon Chwe. More commonly known as either just Hansol or Vernon, it depends on who you talk to. The ones who have actually talked to him say he prefers Hansol. Onlookers and those who admire him for his atheletic ability generally refered to him as Vernon instead. Seungkwan wasn't sure where he was on that spectrum, since he doesn't exactly talk to him often nor did he consider himself an admirer. Hansol was the only one Seungkwan could see was from his batch among the group of boys, though, as infamous as he was for being friends with a lot of people.

 

Okay, so maybe Seungkwan wasn't an admirer per se, but it would be a lie to say Hansol wasn't worth admiring. He was easy on the eyes, that was for sure. His brown hair matched his deep brown eyes, emphasized further by his bright skin. He knew Hansol was of mixed race, but he still had a typical Asian boyish charm to him, which radiated more than his Western genes. He smiled easily and laughed even more so. Always a sight to see. They've talked once or twice—questions about class, usually, most of the time Hansol asks for what the homework was with them being seatmates that one time last year— which was fine by Seungkwan.

 

"We can make this ever better," Junhui suddenly said,  piquing Seungkwan's interest as the latter once again returned his focus to what they were up to, clearing Hansol from his mind.

 

Minghao frowned at the words as if already anticipating what came next, "Jun, no."

 

"Trust me!" The older male said with a wide grin.

 

"That makes things worse."

 

Junhui went on unbothered, turning to Soonyoung instead. He gestured towards the steps before announcing, "we should flip down instead of just riding it."

 

Minghao was shaking his head again, this time with his eyes partially shielded by his hand. The rest of the boys looked more excited than ever; as long as it wasn't them getting hurt, probably. Seungkwan was a bit worried about the outcome; none of them had proper gear except for a helmet. Junhui in particular looked like he didn't even know how to ride a skateboard with how much he was struggling earlier, let alone do a flip on it. Soonyoung didn't look any better. Still, none of them argued against it (truly boys in their vibrant youth) and after a few more minutes, they seemed to be ready with their plan.

 

"On three. One, two, three!"

 

Seungkwan looked away from the scene just before Junhui and Soonyoung crashed into each other, but the loud sound was enough to give him a clue on what happened. There were also the gasps of shock from the other boys, followed by sounds of amusement that quickly turned into worry. When he finally decided to glance over again, there were two bodies lying on the ground. Their skateboards were a good distance away. That was definitely not a pretty sight.

 

"I think I broke my leg," came Soonyoung's strained voice a few seconds later.

 

"I think I broke my everything," came a dramatic Junhui, followed by Minghao's harsh words in rapidfire Mandarin. Seungkwan knew the universal sound of an angry lecture no matter the  language. He was certain Junhui was getting a rather stern scolding from the younger boy. Soon after, Minghao hit his arm, eliciting a cry of pain from Junhui and Minghao’s features shifted to annoyed worry once more.

 

"That," Mingyu began to say, his look of worry turning into a wide grin, "was epic. I wanna go next!"

 

Seungkwan nearly rolled his eyes. Of course, they would want to go again. It's not at all thrilling unless they were all in the hospital, right? Surprisingly, he saw Hansol wagging a finger at Mingyu's offer.

 

"No no no," the boy said, shaking his head. "We musn't anger our good older friend Jisoo. You know we're calling him instead of their parents, right? Do you want him to look after all of us?"

 

"Point made," Mingyu said dejectedly.

 

"Lemme just head over there and call so he doesn't hear Junhui's groans of pain just yet. Seokmin, call for the hospital, okay?"

 

Wow, Seungkwan mused, what a caring friend. He was about to dwell on his thoughts further until he realized that by over there, Hansol meant right where he was. The other boy began walking over to where the ice cream cart was situated,  phone pressed to his ear. It was too late for Seungkwan to look away and pretend he didn't see anything, or ignore that Hansol was walking over. They had already made eye contact as soon as Hansol reached his vicinity. Seungkwan wasn't sure whether he was supposed to smile, wave, or do nothing.

 

Thankfully, Hansol does it for him, smiling and waving as he walked closer to the cart.

 

"Hey, Seungkwan! Selling ice cream?"

 

Seungkwan nodded, smiling a bit himself, "yeah."

 

"That's cool— wait, hold on a sec. Hey, Josh?"

 

Seungkwan didn't mean to listen in, but Hansol was standing right there, so it wasn't entirely his fault. The latter was speaking in what seemed like a mix of English and Korean, explaining what just happened and also laughing every now and then. Seungkwan could understand a few snippets here and there better than he thought he would, catching on to how Hansol was telling Jisoo to go to the hospital for them. He added a bit at the end that sounded like outright begging, but there was a cheeky grin on his face that made it look like something he did often.

 

"Nice, see you then."

 

Seungkwan looked away when Hansol hung up, not wanting to make it obvious that he was actually paying attention to him a bit more than he should. He glanced back when Hansol turned towards him again.

 

"So, what flavors do you have?" He asked, pointing to the cart's freezer.

 

"Shouldn't you be tending to your injured friends?" Seungkwan answered instead, before realizing it sounded a bit like he was shooing him away.

 

"They look like they need it," he added quickly.

 

Hansol grinned, oblivious, ”happens all the time. Right now, I think I need an ice cream bar instead."

 

Seungkwan shrugged, who was he to turn down a customer? Plus selling more gives him a bonus. He was just about to open the freezer up, maybe throw in a suggestion that Hansol should buy ice cream for his friends or get them to buy as well, when Hansol's next words made him freeze on the spot, probably more frozen than the popsicles he was about to reach for.

 

"I also think I need your phone number."

 

"What?" Seungkwan half-asked and half-exclaimed.

 

Hansol's eyes widened, a flush of red creeping up his pale cheeks, ”I— I mean— Did I say that out loud? I'm sorry, it sounded smoother in my head, probably came out a bit lamely—“

 

“Just a little,” Seungkwan admitted, trying to cover up the rapid beating of his heart by playing it cool. That had to be an accident anyway, right? There was no way

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter