ONE

Thawing Ice King
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Block Seven was a rather small, quiet neighborhood in the suburbs with a small community made up of an equally small residential area. The main street is lined with small shops and other establishments. There were apartments, too, around the uphill street that led to a park most people in the area frequented, but nothing similar to the high rise buildings that are commonly found in the big cities. The most prominent building was Park Medical, a community hospital situated at the center, visible wherever one was around the area, the same place Yuan will be starting her professional career.

 

Buzzing with excitement, the first thing that she did was look at the east facing side of her apartment where she could clearly see the hospital. Eventually, she prepared for work, going through her usual morning routine, and again, went back to the window briefly to gaze upon her new workplace.

 

It was her first day at her first job after graduating from university, also the first time she would find herself away from her family who would choose to keep her by their side if only she could seek employment in her own country. Park Medical wasn’t her first choice, and she would have preferred working in the capital at a bigger hospital, but since vacancies for the position she wanted was scarce, she had to settle for the first call she got.

 

Yuan did not like the idea of living away from the capital and risking convenience by settling in a small town. It had been a rather teary departure for her and before seeing the town, she was already thinking about how miserable her life would be. Being the youngest in the family, she was used to staying close to her family, and she couldn’t quite believe that the first time she will be gone from their side, she had to live in another country.

 

She only began to see the silver lining when she saw the town for herself. Yuan found Block Seven lovely, and it was to her satisfaction the suburb area was peaceful. The previous day, she was also able to take a tour around Park Medical, and found out that it was a very modern institution, not the backwards hospital she was expecting after all. To her advantage, her apartment was a mere five minute walk from the hospital. On top of everything else, she got the position as a dietician at the hospital, the thing she always wanted to be. In the end, she got more than what she bargained for.

 

Everything was new. The surroundings, the people, but though she has only been around Block Seven for a week, she didn’t mind the nuances. They were bound to happen anyway, she thought to herself as she checked the contents of her black, leather bag. Seeing that everything was in order, Yuan straightened her white pencil skirt and set out for the day.

 

She was looking forward to her first day at work. Feeling independent from her family for the first time in her life. It thrilled her to be able to decide for everything she should do. They wouldn’t be around, which would take some getting used to, but decided that a positive outlook despite the homesickness would do half the work.

 

It was a bright day, reflecting her mood as she walked down the street to the main road. Yuan checked her reflection on every car window she would pass by, making sure that she was dressed professionally and that everything was perfect. Convinced that not a single hair was out of place, she continued on her merry way towards the hospital.

 

The moment she was standing in front of the glass doors that served as the main entrance to the four-story hospital, Yuan looked up at the building with a smile, imagining only the pleasant things that could happen at work. She envisioned a harmonious work environment with her co-employees, and the thought of having her own private space, as promised by the head of the dietetics department, made her even more excited.

 

She would make sure to tell her parents the good news ones she gets home for the day.

 

Yuan was about to take a step towards the entrance when she felt a slight force from behind her, hitting her on the shoulder and nearly causing her to stumble into the pavement. She ended up bent down, barely catching her bag which slid off of her shoulder when something, or rather someone, bumped against her.

 

Gasping, she looked up and saw a tall man clad in a navy blue suit, standing with his back to her. He was holding a briefcase in one hand, the other was in his pocket as he lethargically turned his head to her direction. Yuan was confronted with the sight of a blank face directed at her by this stranger. For her, it wasn’t really a blank stare, for although the generality of his face was neutral, an unpleasant glint in his eyes along with the way his mouth was set in a disapproving line made her think otherwise.

 

Yuan straightened up, looking at the man before her indignantly. She was expecting an apology from him for nearly tripping because of her like any other normal person would after causing inconveniences for other people. However, the look on the man’s face did not register apology or anything close to it. It dawned to her that it wasn’t an accident at all.

 

The man gave her a once over before turning his head forward, but she was not going to let him of the hook that easily. “I think an apology is in order,” she stated under false bravado, praying her voice did not quiver like it usually would when she is confronted with strangers. If there was one thing she hated, it was confrontations.

 

The man his heels, the sole of his perfectly polished leather shoes scraping against the rough ground. He smirked as he regarded Yuan with a bored look. “Miss, in case you’re not aware, you’re blocking everyone’s way.” He pointed at the door. “You see, that’s a door, and people go in and out of that door.”

 

Yuan was taken aback by the man’s utter rudeness. He might not have insulted her directly, but he said it in such a manner that made her seem like a person of incompetent intelligence. Her defenses started to crumble as she stared at the man. “I am aware it’s a door, sir. You don’t have to be rude. I was merely…” She frowned as her voice trailed off. What was she doing? She didn’t know exactly and her face started to heat up at the prospect of not being able to say anything.

 

The man tilted his head to the side and shook his head before turning away from her and entering the building. Yuan’ jaw almost dropped in disbelief as she watched the man from the other side of the door. The receptionist standing behind the desk immediately went to the man’s side and took his things before leading him to the elevators. It got her to think that he could be an important person in the hospital administration, making her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter