They Come to Play

A 'Fun' Game of Tag

 

The creation of MACAH-IV has been the buzz during the early half of the year and two months before the year ends its completion has started a new thrill amongst everyone. Modeled with the appearance of MACAH-I, MACAH-IV is equipped with everything a person might need while on land. It’s owner refused to call it unsinkable or anything colossal for that matter, knowing what happened to Titanic after its owner bragged about it. He simply calls it ‘Bringing a piece of land over the sea’.

 

For its first trip, a tour around Asia is offered with only a few of the most affluent people and some lucky game contestants have the privilege to be a part of. As everyone enjoys the sights, the rooms, the food and every facility that the ship could offer they are oblivious to a game that has also begun.

 

*~*~*~*~*

When he boarded the ship he had been doing nothing but doubt everything around him. He was even jumpy when the crew placed the Privilege around his wrist. He felt so embarrassed and amazed at the same time. Even though everything was stated in the catalog he still becomes amazed whenever he uses it.

 

The Privilege is a platinum bracelet built with a microchip giving it multiple purposes. First, it functions similar to a debit card, with the proposed amount of money from the passenger. Once out of cash, new amount can be deposited via wire but since it was the opening everyone is given with an equal generous amount. Second, it functions as a pass key to every room that is open to the public. Third, it has its own pass code for the passenger’s personal room and locker which is also conveniently changeable. And for the safety of everyone in the tour, it has a built-in tracking device that signals where the guests are and reminds the guests of the time of boarding and departure.

 

Hankyung forgets his paranoia as he continues to explore the buffet which caters every continent’s famous menu, though he remembers he has to spend his money wisely and has to restrain himself with using every facility within the ship he is thankful that there is a buffet.

“Awesome buffet, isn’t it?” someone says with a wide grin.

Hankyung nodded and he was about to take his pick when the person said again. “I’m Shindong by the way.”

“Hankyung.” He supplemented.

 

For a moment he decides to brush off the thought of that weird card and just enjoy the feast and the sights.

 

*~*~*~*~*

“Eunhyuk,” Donghae drawled, holding on to an end of his best friend’s shirt. “Where’s the bathroom?”

 

Donghae had been drinking too much alcohol or better yet has probably tasted every drink on the menu. Eunhyuk felt relieved that everything was free for the first day. He just left Donghae for thirty minutes at the bar to do his own exploration around the casino, which took up one-third of the second deck, and when he came back he found Donghae dancing at the center stage of the ship’s club.

 

Good think Eunhyuk was excellent in remembering directions and finds studying maps interesting. Eunhyuk was about to take Donghae to the lavatory when one of the usherettes came to guide them. Though his pride was hurt, Eunhyuk was amazed at how well-versed every staff of the ship was, because even though he knew where the lavatory was, the usherette has suggested a nearer one.

 

When Donghae saw the sign he felt something regurgitating and instincts tells him to make a run for it.

“Yah! Watch where you’re going?!” someone yelled, whom Donghae bumped against while running towards the lavatory. Kangin was mumbling to himself as he rubbed the slightly stinging area that was bumped.

“I’m sorry!” Eunhyuk bowed and apologized for his friend. Feeling very frightened at the moment.

Kangin was surprised for a second and observed the 90° bow in front of him. He sighed and scratched his nape.

“I guess its okay since you apologized.”

Eunhyuk gave a sigh of relief, “Really, thank you! I’m really sorry about Donghae.”

Then they both heard muffled sounds of someone hurling out the insides of his stomach.

Kangin made a disgusted face. “Drank too much, huh?”

“Everything actually.” Answered Eunhyuk sheepishly.

“Whoah, really?! Its gonna be uglier tomorrow, if anything, you can come see me for help.”

Kangin was about to take his leave when Eunhyuk remembered they haven’t exchange names and if he was to ask for this guy’s help who is clearly experienced when it comes to Donghae’s situation he needs to know how to contact him.

 

*~*~*~*~*

Heechul had been so excited about getting on board MACAH-IV that the moment the crew clasped the Privilege around his wrist, he practically dashed to the direction of the mall and leaving his luggage to his cousin, Siwon who wasn’t surprise at Heechul’s behavior.

 

“Oh, c’mon!” exclaimed Heechul. After two or three hours of shopping he was now ready to pay and he couldn’t believe it could take him another hour to reach the cash register. As most of the ship’s offers come in free, everyone can shop with a maximum total amount of five hundred thousand for the opening day.

“Siwon!” Heechul growled as he searched the sea of shoppers for his cousin. After receiving no reply whatsoever, Heechul was nearing his boiling point, he was itching to throw someone out or push someone so as long as to reach the end of the line. He wanted to try the other attractions as he says it while they’re still free.

 

He was about to start some ruckus when he felt someone tapping him from behind.

“Need a fast way outta here?” the guy said.

“Of course!”

“Then come follow me.” And through the sea of shoppers, they zigzag their way until they reached a shorter line which was still unknown to most.

 

Few minutes after, Heechul could finally breathe fresh air.

“Wah, thank you so much.” He could’ve cried from happiness.

The other guy just smiled. “It’s no problem.”

Heechul realized he wasn’t really carrying any gift bags.

“Huh, what the heck were you doing there if you’re not going to buy anything?”

“Oh, I actually finished shopping, though not as much as you.”

“Well, no one actually allows you to use five hundred thousand to shop, why waste the opportunity.” Then Heechul straightened up, as if the idea he just had revitalized him. “Now, after dropping these off I’m gonna drag Siwon and use his share.”

The other guy laughed in a unique way. “Well, I hope you won’t cause any disaster later as you were about to.” “What disaster?” Heechul feigned innocence. “That would be so mean, you know.” He added.

“Hope so. Well, I better get going MACAH-IV still has a lot in store for us.”

“Yeah, but I’ll stick to the mall.”

The other guy chuckled. “And before I forget, I’m Eeteuk.”

“Heechul.”

“See you around, Heechul.”

“Eung.” Heechul waved goodbye.

 

*~*~*~*~*

Somewhere amongst the VIP rooms and probably off-limits to the guests and most probably a location unknown to them a glass chess board is being set up. One seat is being occupied leisurely while the opposite chair remains vacant. The room is rather dark, and gloomy with light coming off from television screens showing different areas, angles and corners of the ship with only the sound of chess pieces brought down on its designated places and the playful twirling of the lollipop as it idly hits teeth.

 

“The calm before a storm, huh?” he says with a grin as he observes the relaxed faces of his pawns.