Chapter 1

How to Do the Most

4th March 2017

It was 5.28pm. He'd been on the search since noon and by the way his eyes sting every time he blinked, it felt more than five hours. Google had been no help. He had no clue how to work Pinterest. Even Tumblr was lackluster.

 

His phone flashed its second warning, urgent enough to force him out of his slumped state on the bed and settle on the floor by the extension. There was a terrible taste in the back of his throat. The bitterness of dread, laced with the sour realisation that he was suffering from a lack of imagination.

 

In less than a week, Min Yoongi will be celebrating his birthday but Jung Hoseok’s hands were empty. His mind was devoid of any ingenious gift ideas for the elder this year and it felt disappointing only on his part. Although quite certain that money or a gift card would suffice, the last thing he wanted was to seem lazy or uncaring.

 

Yoongi had been good to him for years and, even more so, in the past few months. Always by his side, cheering him on, damaging his vocal cords just to scream his name. His own birthday has just passed but it felt as if he'd been receiving a lot more good even before that. The night before the concert, the elder had helped him set up before his birthday live stream. He made jokes about the probable lack of viewers as they taped banners on the wall. For one, it was late in the night. And, it was only J-Hope, he knew he weren’t as popular as Jimin or Jungkook.

 

The other had not ridden the flow of the water, choosing to block his self-inflicting jabs with reassuring regards. They love you, what are you talking about? Our promotions are so fun because of you. Bangtan’s a lot brighter because of you. What would we be without our J-Hope? Comments that Hoseok would deflect and laugh off. Yoongi knew he would not be able to make it come midnight so he must have compensated for it with the usual praises he threw at Hoseok these days.

 

But, Yoongi’s compliments - usually so sparse and rare - had been given out so generously that he just might get used to it. Ergo, wanting to exchange gratitude and craving his approval, Hoseok must come up with nothing less than perfect.

 

He wracked every corner of his conscious being to come up with anything thoughtful yet comical, classy yet down-to-earth. He knew enough that Yoongi was not much for materialistic items, at least not tacky ones. It would be appreciated but, if it came from Hoseok, there will be a 78% chance Yoongi will act pleased and accept it out of politeness. Yoongi was a bad actor.

 

So it must not be a thing that can be returned with a receipt, nor anything handmade that Hoseok would most likely botch. His options were narrowed.

 

He heard the creak of the door, followed by footsteps approaching which were familiar enough that he let a sigh past his lips before bracing for impact. A heavy weight topped his slouched back, arms circling him as he pressed the lock button in a hurry and left them both to stare at their reflection on the dead screen. His own offended scowl mimicked alongside a boxy grin.

 

“Are you watching ?” A sharp chin rested on his shoulders, steadily digging into the bones with the purpose of drawing out a pained response. Hoseok conceded with a whine which only spurred a snicker from the younger boy, shaking jaws only hurting him more.

 

He flicked the other’s nose in retaliation and pulled away to sprawl himself flat on the floor. It has just occurred to him how stiff his muscles were and he stretched his arms out, wriggling on the hardwood surface as his joints cracked and popped.

 

“What’s it to you?” came his reply with a yawn.

 

He heard a pinched laugh as cold fingers slip underneath his shirt through the exposed skin of his midriff, gripping at his waist, “Can I watch with you?”

 

“Get your mind out of the gutter, Tae.”

 

The tight hold turned into a dance, hands tickling his sides and he squirmed with a shriek or two. He wheezed and guffawed, as was the intended purpose of the attack. His lungs screamed out and he attempted to pull his shirt down, whining some more, but the perpetrator continued his assault.

 

“Stop it!” Hoseok pinched Taehyung’s arm, who finally withdrew with a yelp. Taehyung muttered something about ‘good ’, teasing smirk still plastered on his face before rejoining the older’s spot on the floor.

 

Hoseok rolled his eyes, choosing to ignore the advances and turned his attention back on his phone. Taehyung had always been touchy, borderline ual, with his show of affections but he’d gotten use to that and paid it no thought. Now, his shoulder was being used as a pillow. Taehyung - clingy as he is - laid beside him and eyed the phone with earnest interest. “So what are you doing, hyung?”

 

They watched as Hoseok scrolled through the calendar app, indecipherable notes written down under each day that reminded him how much time he has left. Not a lot. This week and the last were filled with practices and preparation leading up to their tour. Hoseok groaned when he turned back to his Google searches, still with unsatisfactory results.

 

20 Gift Ideas for Men.

 

Unusual Gift Ideas.

 

Cool Gifts & Novelty Gift Ideas for Guys.

 

“Ahh,” Taehyung finally says with understanding, using his thumb to scroll through without the older’s invitation. “For Yoongi-hyung? You don’t have one yet?”

 

Hoseok hums in response and handed over the phone, letting his eyelids close shut to ease the strain. He listened to the furious tapping on his keyboard. Maybe an idea would come to him in a dream, “Do you?”

 

“Yes. A 30 second hug.”

 

Typical. He snorted at that, his mind conjuring up the image. Taehyung clinging on like a koala and Yoongi clambering to get out of his reach. They knew damn well that Yoongi was not one for prolonged skinship. Although, Hoseok noted, he seemed to be getting better at initiating it lately. He thought back to the sports event a month ago, their hands clasped together longer than necessary. But, a hug was different. It required full use of the upper body.

 

“That’s more torture than a gift.”

 

“Exactly. The gift is the opportunity for it to be lowered down to a 15 second hug,” they both chuckled wickedly at the sick, little joke. He shifted next to Hoseok, laying on his stomach so that they faced each other. Taehyung propped himself up with his elbows but, he laid his head back down on the older’s chest and watched the long lashes dance on his cheeks. “You’re actually serious, though? We’re taking him to dinner in a couple days’ time, isn’t that enough?”

 

Hoseok shook his head, feeling the solid surface beneath his hair, reminding him how uncomfortable their position was becoming. But, he kept his eyes closed, still hard at work conjuring up a gift idea for the person he was often most thankful for nowadays.

 

Hoseok told him - explained to Taehyung just why he needed for Yoongi to be with a good gift. The smile he wanted to see, the laugh he wanted to hear. The joy of being around Yoongi. How he had always worked hard without needing attention or approval from anyone, but hearing praises from someone he respected so much planted a warmth in him that he could not comprehend. To be taken care of when he needed it the most, someone to confide in, talks that ranged from meaningless banter to serious, significant life drawls. His voice was low and he thought he might sound a little too distant. He was lost in thought but Taehyung seemed to follow, responding with an equally quiet hum at the right times.

 

He asked, then, how could he show his thanks in more than words could explain? How can he summarise that exceptional sense of clarity? How can he make his best friend happy?

 

“I got it!”

 

His eyes opened wide, jumping slightly at the ring in his ears. He was about to complain - why must he scream when his ear is, literally, right here? - when his phone was shoved in front of him, brightness turned all the way up. Hoseok squinted, gradually adjusting to the glaring screen.

 

Romantic Getaway for 2; chocolates and wine, scented candles decorating a luxurious honeymoon suite--

 

Taehyung began whistling the tune he’d heard once in a drama, lips pursed and eyes teasing.

 

It took Hoseok a second longer until he made sense of the implied request, blown pupils and scrunched brows lifting high up his forehead. Heat scratched at his cheeks but he fought it down until it stayed only on his neck.

 

He sputtered, unintelligent words leaving his mouth - much to the delight of the younger who giggled and smacked the floor with glee despite spit landing on his face. Hoseok frowned, his lips curling in on itself and more huffs of exasperation left him before grabbing his phone back. Pushing the uncontrollable maniac off of him, he flicked Taehyung’s ear with as much power as he was annoyed. But that did not seem to stop him.

 

“Tae, I said I was serious.”

 

“Seriously in love,” Taehyung sniggered, shooting finger hearts in Hoseok’s way before rolling on his back and sitting up. His hands flew immediately up to the other’s dusty pink hair, the strands fondly. “Hyung, wouldn’t you like that, too?”

 

“No! We’re not…” Hoseok trailed off, lips pouted as he looked up at Taehyung. He was flustered but he did not want to seem it. The mere suggestion was unthinkable but as soon as it was mentioned he could not stop his train of thought. “We’re not like that.”

 

The insistence was a plead more to himself than to Taehyung. He tried swatting the other’s hands away but they both knew how weak he was to touches on his head. Hoseok tried whining some more - insisting again and again that it wasn’t like that, not in the slightest - as Taehyung raked fingers through his hair in a steady rhythm. The younger just smiled adding more fuel to the fire with detailed imagery.

 

“Go to one with a spa; like a couple’s retreat, you know?” Hoseok shook his head no, but Taehyung carried on with a twinkle in his eye. “Or a jacuzzi! Yes, Yoongi-hyung would like that, I think. Chill. Relaxing. Wet and half-.”

 

“Tae,” Hoseok covered his eyes as if that would help, but grew more bothersome when Taehyung called him cute. “Stop.”

 

“Then, just stay in the room and watch movies on the first night. It’s still kind of cold so you have an excuse to cuddle under the covers. Clothes on or off, up to you.”

 

“Tae!”

 

“Definitely off come morning time. Break that bed in.”

 

“Tae! I swear to Go-”

 

The door flew open with a bang, knocking back against the wall and saving Hoseok from uncomfortable torture. As soon as Taehyung’s hands stopped moving, he jumped to sit up and muttered curses at the younger, claiming that he was corrupted. He turned to the open door to thank his saving grace and whine more that Taehyung, who was cackling at the side like it was all some big joke, was disrespecting him.

 

But, he bit back his tongue when he met eyes with The Min Yoongi™. He cleared his throat whilst Taehyung ate up more air, feeding his laughter even louder as they both realise that if you speak of the devil, he shall appear.

 

Yoongi, hands in his pockets, beanie lowered over his brows and shoulders slumped, was not in on the joke and narrowed his eyes at the other two - Hoseok practically squirming under his gaze. He seemed grouchy, mouth set in a thin line as he huffed, “We’ve been calling for five minutes.”

 

“Sorry, didn’t hear,” Hoseok tried to level his voice so it remained above a squeak and stood up in a hurry, pulling Taehyung up to his feet, as well. They followed Yoongi out the door, back already turned. He hated pissing off Yoongi sometimes.

 

“Jin’s pissed, the food’s cold and you two were just canoodling on the dusty floor.”

 

Again, Hoseok apologised upon seeing the rest of the members, beaming away his agitation and sat himself where he always does; the space next to Yoongi. He didn’t notice that they were all too busy on their phones to register his absence or his presence and he missed the pointed look Jin threw in Yoongi’s direction.

 

“I’m not mad and the food’s just cooked, actually. So,” Jin placed the hot plate down, a loud clink on the glass table saw three heads shoot up and sniff hungrily at the air, “Eat up!”

 

Arms were in a flurry within the next two seconds, chopsticks and plates were as loud as the voices singing praises and lively food commentary. But, Jin turned to Yoongi again and mouthed, “Canoodling?”

 

Taehyung wheezed with laughter.