Lisa

Learning Korean

I don’t speak Korean. The Italized words and sentences are supposedly said in Korean.I also didn't proofread so tons of mistake and this might be trash but I did it for fun. So have fun. kkkk

_____________________________

 

When Lisa woke up this morning to a message of her brother saying “Korean girls are really pretty” she really didn’t know what to say. She has been in Korea for over a week and nope, she hasn’t spotted a single one that falls into the Bold Italic Highlighted folder inside her head titled “PRETTY”. Yes, Korean celebrities are pretty but there’s no way she would accidentally bump into one while she eats her third sandwich as she crosses the busy street of Hongdae.

“I’ll snap a pic IF I see one. That is IF I see one.” She hurriedly swiped through her phone as she turned to a sharp corner while slurping the last cucumber of her sandwich.

“Your standards are too high.” She reads the instant response.

“Oh, Thank you.” She quickly tapped, while she looked straight up to the traffic signs along with a bunch of people waiting to cross the street.

“That wasn’t a compliment.”

“I took it as one.”

“Just go find a girl and come back here.” 

“Oh are you missing me that much, dear brother?”

“You wish! It’s just that it’s easier when dad has someone else to check on 24/7.”

“Welcome to my life.”

“You mean hell?”

“Only because you’re not as attractive as I am. You don’t get to have the good stuff.”

“Just go find a girl.” She reads the last message. The traffic lights turned red and she slipped her phone into the front pocket of her shorts and quickly jogged to the entrance of her University on the opposite side of the street.

She has been wondering herself, too, as to why she hasn’t seen someone that comes close to being attractive. Everybody seems average-looking for her. She goes out every day, stays out all day and she bumps into a gazillion of people in every direction she turns. She thinks she might have been hanging around the wrong part of the city; pretty people might only be flocking in one specific spot in town she’s not yet aware of. It’s a shame to not meet someone before she goes back to the America.

 

 

“Student Manoban,” She turned to the person who just called. She finds it ridiculous how Koreans add titles to their names, like Student or Senior or junior. It’s weird, but oh well, that’s the custom she was forced to learn.  “Student Manoban calls you Professor Im.” The girl who called her out tried to talk in English with the help of Google Translate, very accurate.

“I’m sorry?” She asked the girl who was obviously struggling to form the words.

“Good. Good. No, sorry.” The girl responded with her hands gesturing ‘okay’ making Lisa even more confused.

“Professor Im?” She said slowly, the girl nods. “wants to see me?”

“Yes, yes!” The girl said a little too loudly.

She sighed as she looked at the girl disappearing into the crowd of students trying to get to their classes.

“I really need to learn Korean.”

She fished her phone which has been vibrating non-stop out of her front pocket.

3 missed calls. 1 message.

 

“Hurry up and find a Korean girl!!” Her brother typed in Korean and she had to use a translator just to know what it meant.

“I don’t speak Korean!” She replied angrily as she walked up the stairs.

“I know. That’s why you need to find a Korean girl.”

“What does finding a Korean girl have to do with me learning Korean? And won’t you stop bugging me, I’m in school for Pete’s sake!”

“I know you too damn well to know you’re not there to study. You only have one class everyday.”

“Are you a stalker now?”

“Dad is the stalker. He knows what you’re doing every second of every day.”

“Wow, what a shocker! *eye rolling emoji*” She texted back.

“So just ing find a girl, Lisa and get your back here.”

“Why do you keep on insisting that I find a girl?”

“You learn things faster than a speeding bullet when a girl is involved. Once you’ve learned Korean, Tada! Welcome back to America! The attention will be switched back to you and you’ll love every bit of it. I won’t have to pretend that I take extra classes every weekend so that I won’t have to drive my back home and spend Family time alone in our living room every Sunday. Win-win. ing find a girl. Good night.

 

P.S.  Don’t text me first, I’ll text you.“

“Stupid piece of .” Lisa muttered with a smile on her face. “Where do I ing find a girl that I’d want to impress?” She raised her hands up as a sign of defeat as she scans the crowd of average looking people.

 

A month has passed with Lisa only having 20 Korean words in her vocabulary, mostly related to food. A girl has to survive and food is all there is to survive on in this foreign country called Korea. Some smoking hot girls would be of help but Lisa still has no clue where they inhabit.

“Lisa! What the hell when are you coming back?!” Lisa read her brother’s  message.

“Probably Never.

Korea isn’t so bad.”

“Dad is getting on my nerves! He doesn’t let me out of the house!”

“Haha What are you? A primary school student now? He never did that to me.”

“Really?!”

“Yup.”

“Then why is he doing this to me now?!!!!”

“He must’ve realized that you’re way worse than me. Good luck bro.” She slid her phone back to her front pocket and ignored the constant buzzing. She started walking to class.

‘This country is hopeless.’ She thought. Where are all the pretty Korean girls she dreamt of meeting and which are also the reason she agreed to go to Korea in the first place.

“Uhmmm---excuse me. Do you know where the library is? I’m kinda new here.” Lisa was too busy daydreaming about all of the girls she could’ve had if only they were around to notice a girl walking close behind her. “Uhmmm—excuse me.” The girl tapped her shoulder, making her stop her tracks abruptly  and causing the girl walking behind to bump into her. The girl chuckles and Lisa swear it sounded sweet. “I’m sorry, but can you-“ Lisa turned completely around, startling the other girl. “Oh-“ The girl exclaimed with both her hands raised to cover . She laughs and Lisa thought she had finally found the one she could spend her lifetime-- Korean lessons with. “I’m sorry.”  Lisa instantly said.

No, it’s okay. It was wrong of me to come up to you like that.”  She smiled and it made Lisa smile as well. She thought. ‘Gosh, you’re so pretty, but what the hell did you say?’

It’s okay. It happens.”  ‘Now where did that Korean come from? She keeps smiling OMG!!’

Great uhmm..” She claps her hands.  “Do you perhaps know where the library is?” She smiled & looked at her expectantly.

“Ahh..” ‘what the ing hell did you asked?’ “I’m sorry but can you say that again?

Oh.. I’m sorry. My Korean must not be that good.” 

Lisa pursed her lips and tried her hardest to hear words she might recognize. She hummed when she realized it’s pointless. She decided to say the safest answer she could think of. “Yeah, yeah, that’s right.”

“Oh..” Lisa is a hundred percent sure she looked offended. “Okay.. uhmm Li-bra-ry?”

Lib-ra-ry.” Lisa repeated every syllable with a very confused look. “Lib? Ohhhh…! The Library?” She beamed.

Yes, yes! Where’s the library?” The girl almost jumped with joy and Lisa found it really cute so she muttered. “ing Cute.” The girl stopped smiling and looked confused, with slightly open as if to say a word.  Lisa smiled.

Library?”

Ah yeah.”  The girl walked quietly beside her, not having the enthusiasm she had a few moments ago.  Lisa noticed and remembered that one question she gets all the time.

Uhmmm.. Are you new here?”

“Oh..” The girl tilted her head a little to the right and all Lisa could think of is how cute she is. She smiled to herself. “I’m from Australia,” The girl starts.  “but my parents are both Korean so they wanted me to finish college here and have a taste of the life they used to have.” 

“Oh…really?” Lisa asked, trying to pretend she understood what she said.

Yeah.” She smiled and turned her body slightly towards Lisa. “Uhmm my parents studied here.”  Lisa faked a surprised look. “Yeah, they met here!”  Lisa nodded. ‘What the hell is she talking about?’ “This where they found true love so I was wondering if I will also find my true love here.”

‘What am I supposed to say next?’ “Oh.. really?”

The girl inhaled loudly and squinted her eyes at Lisa. She hummed. “What about you…uhmm I don’t think I got your name?”

“Uhmm..” ‘Name? She asked for my name, right? Right?’ “My name’s Lisa.” She glanced at her.

I’m Rosè. It’s nice to meet you Lisa.”

It’s nice to meet you, too.”  Lisa gulped. “What the hell am I doing?” She muttered under her breath.

Rosè bit her lips to suppress a smile. “So, Lisa, do you study here?

‘Here?’ She thought. “Uhmm..Yeah.. A little.” Rosè turned her face to right to hide her grin.

“Are you perhaps pretending to know Korean to impress me?” Rosè asked with a straight face. Lisa looked at her as if reading the question on her face. Rosè raised her brows and smiled.

“Uhmm yeah sometimes.”  Lisa inwardly sighed.

“Would you go out on a date with me? You’re totally my style.” She asked pointing at some flowers on the school’s field.

Lisa is confused. ‘Did she say date and style?’ She followed the direction of what she’s pointing at. ‘Flowers?’ “Yeah.. Very pretty.”

Rosè couldn’t stop her laugh anymore. Lisa looked at her trying not to seem confused out of her wits when she truly is. Rosè chuckles and repeats the word. “Pretty.”

“So uhmm how far is the library?” Rosè asked to break the silence that fell a minute ago.

“Library?” Lisa muttered. “Library.” She said pointing at the door right in front of her.

Oh okay. Thank you, Lisa.” She smiled and waved and Lisa smiled back confidently.

“Well, there goes my pretty girl.” Rosè was about to open the door when she said. Rosè bit her lower lip and smiled. “Lisa,” She turns when Lisa was about to leave. “Would you like to go out to dinner with me and maybe do stuff  at my place tonight? Bruno Mars’ Style.” She asked.

Lisa took a deep breath, not even trying to hide the crease on her forehead. “Can you say that again?”

Rosè scanned Lisa from head to toe and smirked.”I said..Would you like me to help you with your Korean?” She chuckles.