Chapter O N E

Until Tomorrow

 

                War. It changes everything.

                When one isn’t living in the actual death and destruction, it is easy to feel pity and move on. Actually seeing it all. Living it… nothing is ever the same. Shadows are approaching enemies, warnings are threats, car back fires are rival fire. Once seeing the ugly of the world, being safe becomes impossible. All one can be do is prepare for the impending danger.

                For that very reason, a young raven haired girl awoke at the distant sound of glass breaking. She was quick on her feet, off her bed, with the small knife kept under her mattress in hand. Her heart was racing and despite the drills her father had placed her under, the danger was all the more real now. However, this didn’t stop her. The small eight-year-old girl approached her door, knuckles white as her grip tightens on the knife.

                The soft moonlight illuminatec the delicate freckles scattered across the bridge her nose and cheekbones. Her eyes connected with her father’s, who too had been alerted by the noise. His calm demeanor almost astounded her. With a gun in hand, he nodded quietly to her, signaling her to follow the long placed protocol. Despite her father’s previous duties, he had always taught her that only her life mattered. She hesitated, standing her ground. His already narrow eyes became slits as he insisted she do as she was told. After what followed, had Mina listened, everything would have been different.

 

1 6  Y E A R S   L A T E R . . .

                The dark haired man quickly delivered blows to the punching bag. His feet moved just as fast as he threw his fists forward from every angle. Those jet black eyes nearly disappeared, already unnaturally narrow, as he focused. Controlled breaths escaped his lips, losing himself in what almost felt too mundane. He effortlessly provided a roundhouse kick, missing his comrade’s head by a few inches when he approached.

                “Jesus, Yoongi! Who pissed you off today,” Jimin breathed.

                Yoongi’s usually sullen face pulled into a smirk. He grabbed at a towel and dragged it across his forehead, his penetrating eyes making Jimin shift uncomfortably. “Who doesn’t piss me off?”

                Jimin ruffled his hair, letting out a small laugh. Despite serving together and being recruited around the same time, there was still something about Yoongi that made him uneasy. They were colleagues, friends even, but there was no way in hell that he would do anything to get on his bad side. “Right,” he replied. “I just came to tell you the news.” Yoongi looked uninterested as he took a swig of water and prepared to continue beating the boxing bag to a pulp. “There’s a newbie coming in today.”

                “Really,” Yoongi clearly feigned interest.

                “Yeah,” Jimin attempted. “American.”

                This gained Yoongi’s attention. “Why,” he retorted distastefully.

                Jimin released another undersized chuckle. “Well Korean-American actually. Her father was born here, also in Central Intelligence. The legendary Agent Kim.” Jimin saw Yoongi’s face shift into what looked like surprise, which was not an emotion he had ever seen his friend express. Agent Kim had single handedly taken down over a dozen organizations in his time. The agency had been devastated when he’d transferred to the States. It had actually been his records that Yoongi had been trying to beat in hopes of leaving his own mark like Agent Kim.

                “Are you sure he’s arriving today?”

                Jimin’s thick lips turned into a grin. “You mean she.” Yoongi couldn’t help, but express another face of shock. “From what I heard, she’s good too. Broke her father’s records.” Yoongi’s brow furrowed. “Number one at her agency. Only twenty-four.” Jimin shook his head, in disbelief himself, but he’d always been good at gaining information. Friend or foe. “And she’s gorgeous.”

                Had the young woman not entered the training gym at that moment, he never would have believed him. The black haired beauty strode beside the president, she nodded, her large chocolate eyes followed the activity around her. All of the men struggled to continue with their activity, their eyes focusing on how different she appeared. Her plump lips, almond eyes, endearing freckles and curvaceous figure.

                Yoongi attempted to control his demeanor as the two approached him. Jimin and Yoongi bowed to their superior. “Sir,” they said in unison.

                “This is Agent Kim Mina, she will be a part of our team starting today. Particularly a member of your squad Agent Min Yoongi.” Mina bowed before her leader, her careful gaze taking him in completely. His ebony hair created a stark contrast with his porcelain skin. He was of lean build, standing at 5’9”, it was truly his facial features that added any sort of intimidation. His thin lips were pulled into a thin line, his eyes just as or perhaps more calculating than her own.

                “I will do my best Agent Min,” she returned in Korean, a slight accent in her tone.

                He too studied her, his eyes remaining slightly too long on her form fitting pencil skirt. How lethal could she really be? Perhaps a ridiculous assumption, she looked far too attractive to be remotely of use to the agency. Possibly she was the brains of an operation? No. Jimin had mentioned that she had broken her father’s records. How was this possible? How had this woman, who looked closer to a runway model, been capable of breaking the records he hadn’t been able to surpass.

                Yoongi hesitantly bowed as their chief led her away to tour the rest of the facility. Jimin released a slow sigh. “Ha they weren’t kidding when they said she was heartbreaking.” Jimin ruffled the back of his hair as he smiled at Mina from across the room. “Perhaps I should make my move now.”

                Yoongi’s eyes narrowed threateningly toward him. “Don’t around. This is a professional atmosphere Jimin. Fraternizing… It’s a ridiculous notion.”

                Jimin held his hands up defensively. “Alright, alright. I get it. You have dibs.” Yoongi swiftly took him into a choke hold. Jimin flailed, letting out panicked screams. “Hyung! Stop!”

                “When you stop, I will as well.”

                “I’m sorry,” he stifled out.

                Yoongi, however, couldn’t help following the new agent from across the room. Mina, on the other hand kept her eyes trained on the path ahead. Her eyes only remaining on Captain Han, but that didn't keep her from noting the wandering eyes of every male in the facility. She did her best not to roll her eyes. She'd of course faced such initial gawking in her prior agency, all curious of her skills and background. Yet, the men in the States, over time, had come to see her as lethal and less as a potential date. Dating... what a ridiculous notion. Mina had no room for such childish dreams. She had one mission, a mission she'd been preparing for for almost two decades. 

                Captain Han cleared his throat, the agents abruptly looking away and returning to their activity. He released an awkward smile. "The men, they're not used to someone like you here." He sighed. "If I'm being honest, I'd consider someone like you Miss Kim, as a distraction. However, I worked with your father. We were best friends, it was difficult not to be when I always came in second behind him. I strongly believe he would have been Captain, had he not transferred." His grey hair and tired eyes expressed his years of experience. Mina could not help wondering if this man in fact represented what could have been of her father's life. A life that was taken away too soon. "The fact still remains, you're incredibly skilled. A prodigy." His smile felt more genuine this time around. "Like your father, I only expect greatness in your future."

                Mina bowed. "Thank you, Captain. I will not let you down."

                "That much I assume." He lightly patted her arm. "I also assume having family nearby will be of positive effect."

                Mina slightly nodded, as this was not something she was completely certain herself. It had been years since she'd seen her three cousins, only having an interaction with them on a Christmas celebration in South Korea when she was five. If she based their current state on that one occurrence, they were all three sure to be as spoiled and rowdy as they were then. She shook her head, Seokjin, Namjoon and Taehyung were experts in getting in trouble and trouble was not what she was after. "Family is always nice, sir," she feigned.

                "Exactly. Now I'm not one for making exceptions, but hell, perhaps you are one by pure definition." He laughed.  "How about you go see Taehyung. I'm sure he's excited to see you after so many years."

                Mina thanked him, making her way to the technological headquarters of the building. Her knuckles tapped the door before heading inside. She bowed at the gaping men. A chestnut haired young man softly chuckled as he stood from his desk. His grin grew as he looked her over. "Mina-ah," he breathed in disbelief. Her glare, that cold glare from childhood, had him recovering from his slip up. "Agent Kim," he amended.

                "Agent Kim Taehyung," she returned politely. He followed her into the hall, the gazes of all the other agents following behind them. "Sunbaenim--" she began.

                "Mina, please. We're family. Oppa, will do." His eyes glistened with recognition. His gaping tooth little cousin had blossomed into the badass woman that had the entire agency in a chaotic stir. Despite her familiar freckles and light brown eyes, she was changed. More than just maturing, she'd hardened. That warmth that had existed was replaced by a colder and calculated exterior.

                "I'd rather call you Sunbaenim here," she predictably replied. "Actually, I'd prefer if no one knew we were related. Keep our personal lives out of the work environment." Mina wasn't aware that her rigid behavior was oddly hurting Taehyung's feelings.

                He shifted from one foot to the other. "Personal lives... We will see each other outside of work, right?" Her silence prompted him to continue. "Seokjin and Namjoon would really like to see you. I'm sure father is very interested in seeing you as well."

                She faintly grinned. "With time. I would like to settle in first." Though, in reality, Mina had absolutely no interest in furthering her ties with the other half of the Kim family. Family had always been important to her father and it was in fact what led to his demise. Caring resulted in weakness. Solitude was what kept you alive. 

*     *     *

                Mina’s slender fingers brushed across her blazer as she made her way through the streets of Seoul. Clearly, wearing a skirt yesterday had been a terrible idea. It’s not as if receiving male attention wasn’t something she was used to back in the States. However, the attention here was different. The patriarchy was still running strong in the veins of South Korea. It also didn’t help that her occupation consisted predominately of men. Currently with four women in Central Intelligence, the other three being over forty, she stuck out like a sore thumb. A grey pantsuit it was.

                Her father said it was better to be known by your actions than your appearance. Before she could show everyone in the agency just what she was capable of, she had to get them to stop looking at her like she was going to offer them some sort of perfume or take their coffee orders. She couldn’t help rolling her eyes, hating the feeling of underestimation.

                Suddenly, a large bouquet of colorful flowers fixed her concentration. Her gaze followed a tall figure carrying the sight impeding decorations. As quickly as the individual had attained her focus, she noticed the nearing car. It wasn’t slowing down and the person didn’t seem to detect the speeding vehicle. Her adrenaline began to pump through her veins as she considered her choices, deciding quickly. Small yet tactile fingers took a hold of the clothing on his shoulders and hauled him into her. The glass shattered loudly before they roughly hit the ground. The furious driver honked at the pair, ruffling the young man’s dark brown hair as it flew by. “Are you crazy,” Mina breathed angrily.

                The stranger attempted to process what had just occurred, his eyes shifted from the road to the concrete side walk he was sitting on, then slowly resting on the beautiful woman before him. “Thank you,” he whispered after recovering from the shock. His doe-like eyes widened as he noted the gleaming piece of glass embedded in her leg. “Oh God, your leg!”

                Mina ripped her eyes away from the oddly mesmerizing stranger to find a shard sticking out of her upper thigh. “,” she sighed in annoyance. She had to wear gray, had she wore black the blood might have not been noticeable. She knew from experience.

                The brunette reached for the injured woman’s hand to help her out. However, she reacted quickly, pulling away from his grasps. “I just—My shop is right there.” He pointed to a store front three shops over. “Please, let me help you.”

                “No, I’m fine.” She stood up on her own and pulled the glass out of her leg without another thought.

                His panic increased, his hands almost reflexively wanting to cover her bleeding wound, but he held back. “Please, you can’t go to work like that,” he knowingly replied, his eyes glued to the blood soaking into her clothes.

                Mina looked at her watch. She wasn’t about to go to the hospital for this small scrape. It was much too late to go home and fix it herself. She’d gotten enough for being American and a woman yesterday. She didn’t need any of the other agents making menstrual jokes. She studied him once more. He looked nice enough and she was pretty confident she could take him if he tried anything. “Okay, fine.” He tried to help her walk, but she instantly rebuffed him. “I can do it.” A sense of guilt engulfed her as he took a step away from her and apologetically nodded. “Thank you though.”

                He gave her a tight lipped smile as he picked up the ruined flowers. “I’m Jungkook by the way.” He held out a free hand.

                She hesitantly took it, relieved to find it more calloused than her own. Soft hands were a sign of an easy life, a lack of hard work. “Mina.” If the large vase of flowers hadn’t been enough of a clue, they both walked into a small flower shop. Her eyes instantly took her surroundings in, noting the exits and possible weapons. As well as him. She analyzed him as he made his way to a back room, a sound of boxes shifting and opening. He didn’t look like a florist. They tended to be women or old men. Jungkook was young, mid-twenties, six feet tall and built. His features were strong and handsome, but somehow soft in his eyes and his cautious smile. Sad even. “Sorry about your flowers,” she finally broke in.

                 Jungkook gave her that gentle grin and shook his head. “No, don’t be. You saved my life.” He handed her a first aid kit, along with a pair of gray dress pants. “You look about the same size as my mother, perhaps they’ll fit a little too big.” He awkwardly rubbed at his shoulder.

                “Thank you.”

                “I’ll leav—”

                She didn’t wait for his chivalry, and instead she ripped at the gray material, exposing her wound. His eyes connected with her skin reflexively before shyly turning his back to her. “It looks shallow. As well as away from any major arteries or nerves. A few stitch adhesives and a gauze should do the trick. But use some disinfectant just in case. the glass was relatively clean, however it did come in contact with the ground. Infection is completely avoidable if the proper procedures are carried out.”

                Once more, her systematic gaze took him in. How did a florist know where major arteries or nerves were? “How do you know such information?” For rarely having any interest in anyone who wasn’t a suspect, he caused a genuine sense of curiosity in her.

                “I—I went to medical school.”

                “You’re a doctor,” she retorted.

                “No, not technically. I’m not certified. I had to drop out of school.” He abruptly closed his mouth, surprised that he had revealed so much of himself to a stranger.

                Mina kept her eyes on his broad shoulders as she set the gauze in place and shimmied into the slightly outdated pants. However, the color did perfectly match her blazer. “Okay,” she signaled as she finished buttoning the dress pants. His kind eyes met hers before noticing the perfect fit. “But won’t your mother miss these?”

                “Um no. She hasn’t lived here in a long time." He released an uneasy cough, again kicking himself for over sharing.

                “Oh, I’m sorry.” Her chest ached for the absolutely enigmatic person. It actually ached too much for her own comfort. It’d been too long since she’d felt anything other than anger and determination.

                “No, I’m sorry. I’m saying too much.” He bowed. “I apologize greatly for the burden.” There it was, that sadness she had been so quick to detect. tightened as she remember a time where feeling such emotions had plagued. Just how painful the sensation of longing and yearning could feel.

                Her hands stretched toward him with the kit. “Don’t. Again, thank you.”

                “Thank you.” He nodded, his eyes remained on her striking features. Despite her apathetic appearance, she was entirely breath taking. Never had he seen a more beautiful woman in his life. Her sudden faltering in remaining uninterested also hinted she wasn't as cold as she portrayed. She was different and he liked it.

                Mina hesitated at the door. She felt utterly idiotic. Why did she care if she ever saw this man again? He was no one. No one at all. “Well, goodbye.” She lightly smiled before taking two steps toward the door. She froze in her tracks and turned to look at an already awaiting Jungkook. “I’ll come back. To return these.” Her hands clutched the borrowed pants.

                He finally exposed his slightly crooked teeth with a small beam. “Please come again.”

*     *     *

                A set of a dozen eyes watched Yoongi pace, his hands clasped behind his back, the lighting making his muscles more prominent. “I will not state any names specifically, but it has come to my attention that some of you are lacking the adequate amount of self-defense in the field.” He paused, eyes looking over the agents, hesitating on the freckled, gorgeous goddess before him. “That is unacceptable.” A few eyes wandered to the only woman on their team, however, Mina did not break her stare from Yoongi… Fearless. “So, today we will have some sparing,” he continued. “This is a self-defense evaluation. I’ve said this before, we are only as strong as our weakest agent.” Yoongi ran a pale hand through his hair. “Agent Park, Agent Choi, center.”

                A smile crept on Jimin’s full lips as he approached the mat, his eyes already focused on Taein. Mina’s eyes rapidly took in the situation at hand. Jimin was approximately 5’9” and clearly muscular, however, Taein stood at six feet, of the same build as Jimin. Mina’s eyes returned to Jimin who didn’t look scared despite this fact. She out of everyone knew, size meant absolutely nothing.

                After a quick sigh, Taein lunged at Jimin. He swiftly dodged the punch, going for his legs as height was only Taein’s advantage. Once on the floor, he straddled him to deliver blows, yet Taein reacted by blocking his hits. With the first opportunity, he head butted Jimin. The fight continued on the ground for a few more minutes, grunts resounding and both leaving specs of blood on the mat. Mina’s eyes studied the two men, already having come up with combat strategies that would have ended the fight. It came to a final stop when Jimin placed Taein under an armlock. The large man tapped against the mat, sensing the bone near the exterior of its socket.

                 The men, along with Mina, clapped for the two. Jimin and Taein shook hands and then bowed at Yoongi. Yoongi nodded, his eyes then turning to the remaining agents. He stood before Mina, better to get it over with. “Agent Kim, Agent Song, center.”

                A few laughs filled the gym as the men noticed the distinct height difference between Mina and Chan. Mina smirked, head shaking slightly. Ignorance is bliss. “Sir, I can’t,” Agent Song attempted. The powerful gaze of Yoongi affirmed that there was nothing he could say to get out of this fight. Chan sighed and returned his attention to Mina. “I’ll go easy on you,” he announced.

                Mina rolled her neck, the soft chuckles fading out as she stood in a fighting stance. “No need.” She speedily delivered a right hook, throwing him off balance. He tried to recover, punching viciously, feeling the blood trickle from his lip. Mina dodged each attack, landing a harsh kick against his ribs. As he doubled over she took the opportunity to put him in a choke hold. He tried to rip her off of him, but this only made her grip tighten. Chan fell to his knees, spots forming in his vision.

                “Enough,” Yoongi commanded. Mina instantly let go. Chan fell to the ground, gasping for air. Her eyes returned to her squad leader, a dead cold stare. Thirty seconds was far from her record. She bowed and returned to the outskirts of the mat, unmoving as Agent Song was helped to his feet. Yoongi ripped his eyes away from her. “Agent Song, you tap out. I am not your mother. You must know your own limits.”

                “Yes sir,” Chan choked out. He was the only one not staring at Mina at this point, the shame too prominent.

                Curiosity took a hold of Yoongi. “Agent Kim, what is the largest target you’ve ever taken down?”

                Mina’s eyes narrowed. “The target was slightly taller than Agent Choi, about thirty kilograms heavier. Sir.” Gasps echoed in the silent space.

                “What was the extent of the take down?”

                Her glare deepened. “I don’t understand how that’s relevant, sir.”

                “I asked a question. Answer, Agent!”

                Her jaw clenched tightly, hands balling into fists. What was this? This was meant to be fights, not interviews. What the hell was he planning to prove through this interrogation? Mina had never been good at taking orders for the sake of expressing dominance. Though in her line of work, Mina preferred to make her own decisions based up her father's teaching. At that moment, Mina wanted nothing more than to stare Yoongi down. Defy his sheer authority by remaining silent or storming out. Neither were possible. Not here, not now. “Termination through the means of strangulation. I used his belt, sir.”

                Yoongi slowly nodded, taking in the information, before returning to the task at hand. “Agent Geum, Agent Ahn, center.”

                Mina crossed her arms, finding it impossible to pay attention to the fights any further. Her face flushed as she met her leader’s observation once more. She wasn’t embarrassed. She was furious.

                Yoongi too crossed his arms as he watched over the fight. A smile threatening to break his ice-cold stare. He liked knowing that she was looking at him. Despite of what he had told Jimin, he did want her. She was this unstoppable force that drew him nearer. She’d been so cold, so emotionless to any of the agents’ attempts at flirtation. And now, as he felt her fierce eyes against his face, he wanted nothing more than to pull her closer.

                Mina didn’t break her glower until they were dismissed. Yoongi confidently approached her retreating figure, only to pause when a brunette placed his arm around her shoulders. He had to be a fellow agent, outsiders were strictly forbidden. “Oppa, not here,” she hissed. Yoongi’s brow furrowed as the word reached his ears. It felt almost alien escaping from . The handsome young man gave her a rectangular smile before placing his arm around her once more and ushering her out the door, a small laugh escaping her before the door closed.

                “Jimin,” Yoongi called.

                “Yes?”

                “Who was that? The one who left with Agent Kim.”

                Jimin lightly grinned. “That’s Agent Kim Taehyung. He’s in charge of technology and intel. The guy’s a genius. Graduated college at the age of eighteen. He transferred from a special government mission a few months ago.” Jimin laughed. “Mina and him sure are close, aren’t they?”

                “What did I tell you about working on the self-defense on your left side,” Yoongi replied, a smile nowhere in sight. Yoongi was not one to stand for others trying to take what was his.