Take My Hand (We're Off To Never-Neverland)

Take My Hand (We're Off To Never-Neverland)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Practice Room 12:45 AM

This is the event that sets the stage for the first time. There’s nothing magical, no epiphany, no cosmic aligning of the stars. It’s routine; it’s everyday. It’s all just so normal.

Practice was, as it always is, long, arduous, and complicated.

“I think my legs are broken,” Hoseok’s says breathlessly as he slumps against the wall of the tiny practice room and slips to the ground. He silently whispers his thanks to Jin for fainting after five hours of dancing and finally ending practice.

“I feel ya,” Yoongi agrees, sliding next to him, back against the wall and feet straight in front of him. “I swear I saw my life flash in front of my eyes by the tenth run through. I thought about crying once or twice, too. That dance instructor is no joke. I legit almost cheered when Jin passed out. Does that make me evil?”

“Nope. It makes you human. Why didn’t you go home with the others, then?” Hoseok regrets turning his head because his muscles have atrophied (maybe, probably not but right now nothing is working).

“Did your neck just crack?” Yoongi asks.

“Is that what that noise was? Thank goodness, I thought I’d broken something.” Hoseok laughs, and damn if that doesn’t hurt too.

“Glad to see your lame joke button hasn’t broken,” Yoongi deadpans before answering Hoseok’s original question. “I stayed back to work on that turn I kept getting yelled at for. Thanks for helping me, by the way. Why’d you stay?”

Hoseok turns to face him, a bright smile on his face.

“To help you. You’re welcome,” Hoseok replies.

“Oh.” Yoongi crinkles his nose, and it’s cute.

“I really don’t think I can move,” Hoseok says out loud to no one in particular. It’s a declaration, an FYI thrown out to the universe.

Hoseok leans his head against the wall and closes his eyes. He just needs a moment to recoup and regain his center. His hair is wet with sweat and sticking to his forehead. If he could lift his hand, he’d swipe his bangs out of his face, but as previously stated, moving is a firm no. Sleep is not what he intended, but he gives in to the pull of slumber when it comes knocking on his door and drags him to dreamland.

It’s that simple the first time it happens--or so it seems. They’re just two tired people sitting in a room, leaning against the wall.

Fast asleep.

 

Mnet Dressing Room 12:15 PM

The second time it happens, they still believe it’s nothing special. There’s no writing in the sky; nothing spectacular or new is taking place. It's routine, just life crawling along at its normal pace.

“This shirt is freaking itchy,” Yoongi complains, tugging at his collar.

Hoseok looks at the older boy through the mirror from his vantage point in the styling chair. He smiles when Yoongi catches him gazing. Lately, he finds himself doing that a lot: staring at Yoongi.

“Don't worry, hyung. Once the performance ends, you can change into something comfy,” he replies. It would be weird not to when he got caught looking.

“Says the person in the comfortable silk shirt,” Yoongi grumbles.

Hoseok laughs out loud this time and chuckles harder when the older rapper scrunches his face in disgust.

“Okay. You’re all done,” the stylist noona says, patting him on the shoulder.

“Thank you!” He graces her with a bright grin before hopping off the chair and plopping next to Yoongi on the couch. “Sooo, how do I look?” he asks the disgruntled man.

“Like yourself,” Yoongi replies, looking up.

“How disappointing. I clearly said I wanted to look like George Clooney.”

“You wanted to look like a fifty-five-year-old white guy?”

“No, I wanted to look refined and classy,” Hoseok replies, a fake pout on his lips.

“Ahh, you might want to go sit in that chair again then.” Yoongi points in the direction of the stylist. “Ouch. Why?”

“You deserved that punch. I’m beautiful,” Hoseok states as he settles himself comfortably on the couch.

“Mmm, okay, anything you say. How much time until the next stage?” Yoongi asks, leaning back, careful not to mess up his perfectly coiffed hair.

“I think like forty minutes, maybe thirty?” Hoseok says, looking at the schedule. “Yeah, thirty.”

“Good,” Yoongi says, closing his eyes.

Hoseok smiles. Taking a deep breath, he follows the Yoongi’s lead, allowing his own lids to fall shut. Moments of rest are a luxury in their constantly on-the-go lifestyle. He hadn’t meant to fall asleep. He only wanted to be still for a moment, giving his body and soul a chance to recharge before their performance. So when he finds himself being shaken awake by a very concerned Jin, he cracks an eye open in surprise.

“Hey.”

“Hey,” Jin replies. “You two sleeping beauties need to get up. Ten minutes until stage time.”

“Two?” Hoseok asks, and it’s then he realizes that not only had he fallen next to Yoongi, but somehow he’s managed to fall asleep on Yoongi. “Oh.” He jumps up.

“It’s okay, I woke you up first,” Jin says with a smile. “Don’t want grandpa ing at you for crumpling his clothing.”

“Thanks, hyung.” Hoseok smiles as he gets up and walks towards the noona beckoning him over with a makeup brush in her hand and a none too pleased grimace on her face.

The second time it happens, it seems as mundane as the first, so run of the mill that neither party pays attention to it because nothing’s changed, not really, not that they’re willing to admit. Life goes on as normal. They’re just two tired people sitting in a waiting room with their eyes shut. Fast asleep--together.

 

Bangtan Van 10:00 PM

The third time it happens, well, it may have been on purpose, but Hoseok isn’t really sure. The events are still pretty average, still part of the routine. Maybe it’s a matter of circumstance; maybe it’s because of all the times before; maybe he did look for Yoongi. Maybe. He can’t really be sure.

When he enters the van after the concert, there are more than enough available seats. In fact, the vehicle's mostly empty apart from Yoongi and Jungkook who’re both at window seats. Yoongi is in the last row in the back of the van with his head leaning against the window. The rapper looks up when Hoseok enters, and their eyes meet briefly before Yoongi looks away.

They’ve been doing that a lot: locking eyes with each other.

The front passenger seat is free. Somehow neither Namjoon nor Taehyung have managed to secure it. Hoseok contemplates sitting in the front briefly, for a moment; the thought is so fleeting it’s as though he never thought it. He turns and heads to the back of the van and seats himself right next to Yoongi, so close that their clothed thighs are touching. It still feels natural, ordinary. There’s nothing unusual--it’s what he continues to believe.

“I wish we were staying here longer,” he says because he needs to talk, needs to say words that aren’t cutesy or scripted, he’d done enough of that during their two-hour long concert.

“Mmm.” Yoongi’s reply is aimless as he continues to stare out the window.

“Were you able to take pictures today?” Hoseok hopes for a better response this time.

“I got a couple of shots in. Jungkook and I got up early to walk around.” Yoongi turns his head to face him.

“Ahh, the mountains are beautiful here. I really wanted to go hiking. I still can’t believe we just did a concert in Switzerland; that’s just crazy.” Hoseok can’t stop talking. He’s not sure why.

“Yeah, it’s pretty amazing. I remember when going to another country was just a dream. We’ve come so far.” Yoongi smiles, and Hoseok wonders at the picture in the man’s mind that’s causing the sweet curve of Yoongi’s lips.

“Whatcha smiling about?” He scoots closer and wonders why, because they’re already too close.

“Just about how young we were, all of us, when we started this, and how much we’ve changed.”

“Well, I for one haven’t changed. I’m just as handsome as I was when I first started,” Hoseok says defiantly, waiting for one of Yoongi’s pointed comebacks.

“Nah, you’re more handsome now,” Yoongi replies nonchalantly as he turns back to stare out the window.

those The words are not shocking in the least; they call each other good-looking all the time. They’re family, more brothers than bandmates. The words are not shocking. What is shocking are those words coming from the lips of one Min Yoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter