1.

Parenthood

When a very drunk Sejeong fell on the couch next to Chungha at a party and said she wanted a baby, Chungha just smiled.

"Maybe one day." Chungha said.

This seemed to please Sejeong, who squealed and smiled brightly before rolling off the couch and onto the floor and Chaeyeon dragged her across the carpet by her feet to go do more karaoke.

 

They didn't talk about it again for a few months. Sejeong probably didn't even remember.

They'd been together for a few years. They met in high school and started dating. They stayed together through college and got engaged a year later before getting married, and now here they were.

Chungha was in the kitchen doing the dishes, when Sejeong came in and wrapped her arms around the older girl from behind, humming softly.

"We should start a family soon. I think our babies would be cute." Sejeong said.

Chungha frowned. "I thought you hated babies."

Sejeong hesitated. "I wouldn't hate ours."

"When we went shopping the other day, you heard a baby crying and said you wanted to throw yourself down the stairs away from it. I don't think you'd like it if we had our own." Chungha said.

"But I want one..." Sejeong whined. "Ours wouldn't be noisy, it would be a good baby..."

Chungha sighed. "Think about it more, I want you to know what you're getting into."

Sejeong nodded. "Okay, I'll start doing research and everything!"

 

Chungha got back from work one day to find Sejeong sat on the couch, surrounded by books, papers full of notes, and she was watching videos about how to care for babies on her laptop. Sejeong paused the video before carefully wiggling out from the mess of books and papers.

"Hi, I missed you! Did you have a good day?" Sejeong asked with a smile as she hugged Chungha tightly.

"I missed you too, it was boring at work." Chungha said, before pulling away. "You better clean up that mess when you're done, by the way."

"I'm researching about babies though!" Sejeong whined. "I need to keep it all like that!"

"Okay, sure, whatever floats your boat." Chungha mumbled, before she disappeared off into the kitchen to cook dinner.

 

A few months had passed. Chungha often returned home to find Sejeong buried in a pile of papers. One day, she came home and there was no mess. Then suddenly, Sejeong burst out of the spare room.

"I've done my research, I have all the books, I know what to do. Let's have a baby!" Sejeong yelled with a bright smile, adjusting her glasses.

"It's not as easy as saying let's just do it, Sejeong." Chungha said, patting the younger girl's shoulder.

"We can get the money for the treatment, I promise it'll work! I already saved up a lot!" Sejeong said, nodding a few times.

"And I'm guessing you want to be the pregnant one?" Chungha asked.

Sejeong shook her head. "No. You're going to be the pregnant one!"

"Me?" Chungha frowned. "Sejeong, I can't. I have to work. You can't make enough money for the two of us, how would we cope with a baby?"

Chungha saw the way the sparkle left Sejeong's eyes. She immediately felt guilty.

"I guess you're right..." Sejeong mumbled, before slowly beginning to walk off into the spare room.

"Sejeong, wait..." Chungha sighed.

Sejeong turned around again.

"Is this what you really want?" Chungha asked.

Sejeong nodded. "It's all I want. I want to start a family with you."

Chungha thought for a moment, before speaking. "I guess we can try then."

The smile returned to Sejeong's face. "Really? You're serious? You want to?"

"Yep, I want to." Chungha said, laughing when Sejeong squeezed her tightly.

"I promise I'll take good care of you and our future baby!" Sejeong squeaked happily.

 

A few months later, and Chungha was pregnant. It had only taken one attempt at the hospital. Sejeong was overjoyed. Chungha on the other hand wasn't so happy. Well. She was, but the symptoms were awful. She was moody, tired, sore, and had an undying craving for jelly. Sejeong once had to stop her from eating so much or else she would've thrown up, but Chungha hissed at Sejeong and threatened to bite. Some nights Sejeong slept in the spare room when Chungha was especially grumpy. She'd tried sleeping in the same bed, but Chungha would often grumble and spread herself out across the bed, leaving little to no room for Sejeong. But Sejeong was still happy. She took care of Chungha, she even worked extra hours to make sure they had enough money for when the baby came.

 

One day, Chungha was out at a class for new mothers. Sejeong had tried to go, but Chungha told her it was for pregnant people only, so instead Sejeong had invited her friend, Kim Nayoung, over.

"So, how's things?" Nayoung asked as they sat on the couch.

"Things are okay. Chungha's just really moody... And all she eats is jelly." Sejeong mumbled.

"Jelly?" Nayoung frowned. "That's not healthy. Did you try taking it off her?"

"She tries to bite me when I do." Sejeong said. "But anyway, it's nothing to worry about. When she reaches her second trimester, she'll be nicer."

Nayoung snorted. "Your wife is weird, but good on you two for having your lives sorted out and starting a family. I never thought you'd be the first out of everyone to do it."

"I thought the other Nayoung and Jieqiong were going to have a baby." Sejeong frowned.

"You're so dumb." Nayoung laughed. "They're getting a puppy, they keep referring to it as a baby."

"...Do you think Chungha will be mad if I ask for a puppy?" Sejeong asked.

Nayoung shrugged. "Find out for yourself."

 

Nayoung went home an hour later because she had to get ready for work. Chungha came home and was feeling weirdly happy and clingy.

"Sejeongie, let's cuddle." Chungha whined as she lay on the couch.

"Of course! I love cuddles!" Sejeong gasped, running over to sit next to Chungha.

Sejeong liked it when Chungha was in a good mood.

Their cuddle session lasted for twenty minutes. Then Sejeong decided to ask about getting a puppy. She wished she didn't.

"We can't get a puppy! It's bad for the baby! You never think about what's good for the baby! It's always about you!" Chungha yelled.

"I... I was just asking!" Sejeong said.

Chungha suddenly stood up. "I need... I need pasta..." She rushed off into the kitchen, leaving Sejeong on the couch.

 

Chungha reached her second trimester. She was still moody occasionally, but she was more like the way she was before she was pregnant. They decided to go shopping for things for the baby one day.

"We need to get the essential things first!" Sejeong was saying. "A crib, a highchair, lots of toys, perhaps we should start stocking up on diapers now too since we'll need a lot."

"Clothes too." Chungha said. "Babies go through lots of clothes because they grow fast."

Sejeong nodded. "The others are going to help us with clothes and some toys too."

Chungha waddled along whilst Sejeong kept talking about things they needed to get.

"We should decorate the spare room soon too. That'll be the baby's room." Chungha added when Sejeong stopped.

"Of course!" Sejeong gasped. "We should find out the gender soon so we can buy more stuff! Let's get stuff with neutral colours for now."

They got the crib and highchair and a few toys before Chungha started slowing down and getting moody.

"Sejeong, let's go home. I need to take a nap..." Chungha said.

"We're not done yet!" Sejeong said.

"Sejeong. We're going home." Chungha hissed.

Sejeong stopped walking, before nodding slowly. "Okay. We're going home."

The journey home was silent. Sejeong didn't want to do anything to upset her pregnant wife.

When they arrived home, Sejeong got the bags out from the car whilst Chungha went straight inside. Sejeong found her a few minutes later, fast asleep in bed. Sejeong left the bedroom and went to get something to eat.

 

A month passed. Chungha was at another class for new mothers. Sejeong had invited Nayoung over again to assist her with something. They were sat in the baby's room with parts of the crib in front of them.

"You're really asking me to help you build the baby's crib?" Nayoung laughed. "You're crazy. You know I'm no good at this stuff."

"Shut up and read this." Sejeong passed an instruction booklet to Nayoung.

Nayoung grumbled to herself before opening the booklet. Together they managed to put the crib together.

"We should test it with something." Nayoung said.

"Like what?" Sejeong frowned.

"I don't know." Nayoung shrugged. "A brick?"

"My child is not a brick!" Sejeong gasped.

"I wasn't saying it was! I just meant we should test the crib with something heavy, you know, because your baby is gonna be a little heavy at some point." Nayoung tried to explain, but Sejeong was having none of it.

"A brick is too heavy! The baby won't be that heavy yet! Idiot!" Sejeong hissed, slapping Nayoung's arm.

In the end, they put a few potatoes in the crib. It didn't break, so they took it as a success and went to go get food.

 

Chungha's third trimester came and she was close to giving birth. Sejeong was constantly rushing around, making sure Chungha never had to do anything. She was always massaging Chungha's back and making sure someone was always with her whilst she was at work.

Today was one of those days. Sejeong had asked Heehyun and Chaeyeon to go over and be with Chungha.

"So, when's your due date? It must be pretty exciting to know you're going to have a mini version of you and Sejeong running around!" Chaeyeon said with a smile.

"It's in like... A week? But it could happen any time." Chungha said. "Do you want to feel? The baby is kicking a lot lately."

Chaeyeon gasped and shuffled over, putting her hands on Chungha's baby bump.

"Heehyun, come feel!" Chaeyeon squealed.

"Ah, I think I'll pass on that, pregnancy stuff isn't really my thing..." Heehyun mumbled. "I don't know how you could cope with a baby and Sejeong. She almost screamed down the phone when I said I was busy today, and well, suddenly I wasn't busy."

Chungha laughed and was about to respond when she felt a sharp pain, and then suddenly Chaeyeon was yelling and she looked down. Her waters had just burst.

"Oh my god, it's my fault! I shouldn't have felt for so long!" Chaeyeon sobbed, before turning to Heehyun. "Call Sejeong! Tell her to meet us at the hospital!"

Heehyun grabbed her phone and called Sejeong.

"Hey, uh, sorry to disturb you at work, but your wife is giving birth."

A loud scream came from the phone and Heehyun almost dropped it.

"Take her to the hospital and I'll see you there! Hurry up!"

The line went dead.

"How are we getting to the hospital, by the way?" Heehyun asked. "Ambulance?"

"You're driving." Chaeyeon said as she helped Chungha out of her seat and grabbed a nearby bag Sejeong had prepared for when Chungha went into labour.

"You better not give birth in my car." Heehyun grumbled, before they both helped Chungha outside to the car.

 

An hour later and they were at the hospital. Chungha was on a hospital bed, having various drugs pumped into her whilst Sejeong stood next to her, trying not to cry. Chaeyeon and Heehyun were just stood nearby watching.

"Do we have to stay?" Heehyun mumbled to Chaeyeon.

Chaeyeon nodded. "Sejeong might pass out, look at her, she's already pale and ugly."

"I think I'm dying..." Chungha groaned.

"No!" Sejeong gasped. "You can do this!"

Another hour passed and the labour was progressing quickly and getting too gross for Heehyun's liking, but Chaeyeon wouldn't let her go.

"Just a few more big pushes and the baby will be out." The nurse said.

Sejeong squeezed Chungha's hand. "Just a little more!"

And after a few more pushes, the baby was out, and Sejeong passed out from how graphic it was and Heehyun and Chaeyeon had to sit her in a nearby chair.

 

The first few days were weird. It was always Sejeong and Chungha, and now there was a baby. They'd called her Mina, and Sejeong still couldn't look at her without crying and telling Chungha "I can't believe she's ours!" They both adored Mina, she was perfect in their eyes. She rarely cried and was always smiling and snuggling up to them, which made Sejeong cry more because it was so cute. And when Nayoung met Mina, there was even more crying, from both Sejeong and Nayoung.

"Oh my god, she's squeezing your thumb!"

"I can't cope, this is too precious!"

Nayoung was a regular guest at the house, she said she was there to hang out with Sejeong, but she was spending a lot of time cooing over Mina with Sejeong.

 

It was a perfect family, and when Mina was five, she came in from school one day and waddled over to Chungha.

"Sejeongie umma got something for me!" She squealed with excitement.

"Really? What did she get?" Chungha asked, lifting the tiny girl up and hugging her tightly.

Sejeong walked in with something in her arms.

"I got us a puppy!" She said, holding up a small dog.

Chungha could've killed Sejeong there and then if Mina hadn't been so happy with the puppy.

 

So, in the end, Sejeong got her own way.

A baby and a puppy.

But they were still as happy as ever.