1/2

Win The Game ( And My Heart)

A/N – I am no gamer / comp science major so please spare me if I didn’t do any justice for the topic/elements in my story.

The ending might be angst. MIGHT.

 

 

 

 

**

 

At age of 10, Changhyun has wrote his own version of Dungeon Fighters. Someone that he knew as “CAP” (it was a more trusting time) gave him the code. He muddled his way through the logic of enemies sliding back and forth, collisions and player control, and after a few weeks was completely hooked.

 

He loves playing games and from that time, he already decided to be a games programmer. Changhyun was incredibly lucky to landing a senior role at major Japan studio that based in Seoul owned by a console manufacturer.

 

He think himself as a problem solver. There will be a puzzle that needs a solution, like how do you get from A to B in shortest amount of time, and various tools at your disposal, such as algorithms and data structures, which he can use to figure out the answer. He choose his tools wisely as programming is as much an art as it is a science. Nothing beats the rush of seeing a solution work for the first time.

 

As a result of all the deep thinking involved, it hard for Changhyun to switch off when he leave at the end of the day. So he doesn’t. He have lost countless of nights of sleep to lying wide awake thinking about works, or perched over his work table chasing dateline.

 

3 years ago was his last Chuseok spent with his family and now, Christmas and Chuseok means – more time to thinking about new program and get his works done.

 

His time, and his life are being thoroughly dedicated to his work, relate to the quote “Game Hard, Work Hard” tattooed on his left shoulder blade. Lame, he knows. It was courtesy of betting with Ahn Daniel.

 

I Am A Believer by SPYAIR echoed somewhere in Changhyun’s room as he tripping over an empty cup noodle, tracking his phone. He was out of breath when he found it under the casing of Final Fantasy XV Deluxe Edition that he stopped playing midway, middle finger sliding the icon to green. A dying dolphin’s shriek welcome his ear.

 

“Changhyun ah!”

 

Speak of the devil. As usual, Niel’s voice was overly loud at the end of the line.

 

“What do you want?” Changhyun kicked the empty cup noodle as he walked to his never made bed.

 

“Can you at least sound a bit happy to hear me?” This just received a triple eyes roll from Changhyun as response. “ Nevermind, I got a job for you.”

 

Changhyun snickered. “Im not done with Zombie Apocalypse Special Edition and my schedule full until next year – few projects in hand. Period.”

 

Niel growled. “Wait, thi-“

 

“We got a lot of junior programmers.”

 

“Listen. This is a big project. You might get promotion. “

 

“I am not interested in Chanhee hyung’s position.”

 

“You , just listen. This is a massive project that our studio managed to seal the deal with KEMA and Minsoo has designed a game that met their prospect. Now we really need our best programmer to throw his magic and makes it perfect. Boss has appointed you as the best person to program this game as you have done a great job with ZomA.”

 

“ZomA is my daughter.” That was the game he spent his whole year dedicatedly to make it happen. Of course it was great, duh.

 

“I know I know. But this project can be your son in law or Yongyongie’s ding dong or whatever you want- just please, because I have confirm with Boss that you agreed to do it.”

 

“You just insulted my baby. I am not doing.”

 

“You , listen her-“

 

“Forget it. I got many things at hand. I’m thinking of some ideas for ZomA Halloween Special. You know I needs that to get in to NINTENDO. I cannot it up.” Changhyun remembered how hard it was to make it to get interviewed by NINTENDO. That was the biggest company for games developer in Japan. Hell he going to blow the chance.

 

“Hey, I am just gonna say this one time. This project with KEMA will make your resume looks gold. ing gold because they are semi Government entity in Korea and this speak the massive connection behind it. The whole South Korea going to be talk about it – or even world. God knows how popular Korean idols are.”

 

Niel received only a small breathing form the other end. He struck that spot, he knows it.

 

With Cheshire cat grin on his face, he continued. “Ya know, Nietzsche doesn’t quote ‘What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger’ for his next generation to become demotivated just because there are too much works. You are better than this Changhyunnie.”

 

Changhyun closed his eyes as he slumped further under the duvet. He didn’t sleep for 2 days straight and it was not his best record. His best’s was when he programmed for Zombie Apocalypse and he turned into zombie wannabe without sleeping for two weeks.

 

“Changhyun?”

 

Oh, he forget the annoying prick over the line.

 

“Okay.” A heavy sigh released. “Just don’t talk quote to me ever. You sound stupid than you already are. So what is the project about?”

 

Niel is happily yelling how much he loves him over the line and he is sure that the boney guy jumping around with eating grin on his thick lips.

 

“Come to the headquarter tomorrow. We gonna have a party!”

 

By party, he means hectic brainstorming and hours run discussion. And Changhyun can already felt the adrenaline rush in his body.

 

Geek’s world.

 

 

**

 

 

Choi Jonghyun is what people say a human sculptured by God itself. A perfection. His rich chocolate hair that had tousled griminess which promised finesse. He had strong arched brows and eyelashes so thick, it could be illegal. And then his eyes- they were deep and catastrophic, a vivid hazelnut brown as a great horizon that softly melted into a milky green. Up close, you could see the flecks of silver in his eyes. He had distinct cheekbones and an angular jaw, his pale skin made him look devilishly handsome. He was an Adonis among the other men who each pale in comparison.

 

His face was strong and defined, his features molded from granite. His usually playful smile had drawn into a hard line across his face. His perfect lips ripe for the kissing. A graceful mole on his left upper lip just bring the perfection to another level.

 

Muscles rippled across every part of his body. Gorgeous hunk.

 

Jonghyun’s life is full of fame and public attention. He got special treatment wherever he go. Just list it, from special seat at theaters to special tables at restaurants, or preferred entry at nightclubs or to the first row seats at award functions.  The perk of being a celebrity.

 

He has tons of fans who adore him, crush over him and even make him their real life admiration. They would screaming oppa whenever they saw him, regardless how old are they. Cheering and supporting him in every kind of ways.

 

Being famous definitely opens many doors in life form and more opportunities arise for him. He loves his life, he loves the fame, and he loves the attention.

 

Choi Jonghyun stop at nothing to ensure his famous life continue without hitch.

 

Even being a subject to a new game. A game designs based on his life, his personality – everything him.

 

He’s on.

 

 

**

 

 

Changhyun regrets everything he ever done leading up to this moment right here. Maybe it is karma for accidentally ran over a kitten when he drunk, or that few one time he wiped his spunk on Niel’s jacket (maybe Niel deserved that) or is it for not even give his parents a call last Christmas? He is not sure.

 

One thing for sure, he hate the scrutinizing stares that Jonghyun throw when he step his foots in Changhyun’s apartment. He hate the moment when his boss said that he needs to study everything about Jonghyun since the program requires character sound, body language, features to be exactly like the celebrity. And as a programmer, it is Changhyun’s job to do the observation and all.

 

It was easy, he thought. He has one folder named Choi Jonghyun in the back of his mind resulted from one night long of Google researched for the subject matter. The cyber world, the internet, his gadgets (aka his best friend) would never turned him down.

 

But when a suggestion came out from Niel’s mouth, Changhyun was sure that he hate- no, he deathly wanted to kill a certain Ahn Daniel. Or kidnap his puppy, KkangKkangie - if killing sound too hardcore and he still young for a death sentence. That thick lips dared to suggest to his boss for Changhyun to spend his time with the celebrity for the best result and his boss agreed without batting an eyelash. The setup should progressing until the end of the month.

 

How nice.

 

It was the reason why he standing awkwardly in his own apartment with smug looking Jonghyun sat on his couch like it has GEMS printed on it. Rich bastard.

 

Changhyun was practically living online – if can he want to minimize human interaction and Niel once said that if he died choking on his ramen, they will only found him after 6 months. So, it understatement to say that he detest any extra pair of leg steps in his house.

 

It was no secret that he failed social class.

 

“I thought games programmer received quite a money – guess I am wrong.” That chocolatey voice snorted as he scanning all nooks and crooks of Changhyun’s apartment.

 

“We can do this somewhere else if that is your problem.” Changhyun responded. Monotone. It’s not worth it, he told himself.

 

“Nuh-uh, I am kinda running to my next schedule, pretty much hassle to move.”

 

Changhyun just stand on his spot watching the taller walks to his work table, carefully avoiding a few things on the floor as if he was in mine field. Changhyun rolls his eyes. Jaw stiff.

 

“So,” Changhyun strides to his computers, not even sparing a glance at the celebrity who sat cross-legged on the swivel chair. “Let make this as quick as possible.” He murmured as he retrieved a red stool from kitchen before passing a headphone set with microphone to Jonghyun.

 

“It is clean.” He say when the latter took times inspecting the device. Pressing on the word clean.

 

From under his eyelashes, Changhyun saw the other smirking as he put on the headphone. aside, he open a FX folder and clicks on a software to detect sound. He punch in few code into the program before buzzing frequency flashes on the monitor.

 

“Can you say a few lines with your normal voice?” Changhyun instructed as he sat on the stool.

 

“Like how?”

 

“Just talk like you usually did.”

 

“I can’t if not in real situation.” Jonghyun retorted. Changhyun shoot his laser eyes at the celebrity and grimace.

 

“Talk to me. Ask me anything.” Jonghyun smirked before he continues “But nothing too personal. Don’t wanna make it into headlines the next day.”

 

Changhyun forgot how many time he rolled his eyes that day. His eyeballs might permanently roll into the back of his eyes if he stay longer with this smug looking celebrity. His mind wondering for possible questions to throw off to the person in front of him.

 

“Urm..favourite food?” He asked.

 

“Wagyu Ribeye Steak at Hilton 5 star restaurant.” Changhyun swear he really can’t help himself but to rolls his eyes again at the answer. Surprisingly, he saw the celebrity laughs and look at him with unreadable expression. Adorable smile marring his handsome face. No, scratch the handsome. Something gone wrong with his sight, apparently.

 

“You need to talk longer. 8 words are not enough for data collection.”

 

“Your question doesn’t requires so much answer.”

 

The running fingers on the keyboard stop immediately, as Changhyun shoot a glare over his shoulder to the man behind the monitor. Ignoring the urge to kill someone, he typed few words in Google search tab and after a few clicking of mouse, the printer behind him beep. Changhyun choose to not acknowledge the stare he received from the other human in the room as he reached over to retrieve few papers that come out from the printer.

 

“Here.” The still hot papers was now in front of Jonghyun face, nearly bump onto his perfect tall bridge nose. “Read this. Few line would suffice.” And I don’t have to see your smug face in my house longer. Even though, Changhyun failed his social class – he still kind enough not to say that out loud.

 

Whether The Choi Jonghyun is tired or eager to go out from his messy apartment soonest possible, Changhyun didn’t care, he just glad that the latter didn’t make a fuss and start reading the bedtime story printed on the paper.

 

“Once upon a time..”

 

And Changhyun sighed in relieved.

 

 

**

 

 

TGIF. Thanks God Its Friday.

 

Today, Changhyun would not thanking God that it is Friday.

 

Not when he received a message from his boss saying that he needs to observe Jonghyun’s behavior and body language – so that he have to follow the said male to for the day, wherever he go.

 

The audio program finished greatly – that made his boss thought that the setup they did to make it done was a success. And that led to this day where he has to observe and study the celebrity body language – how he greet someone, how he eat, what he do before entering the car, how he talk - literally every single thing Jonghyun did, he have to take note.

 

“This is a big project and we have to make sure that it turn out to be perfectly perfect. Whatever it takes.” That was what his boss said when he tried to talk his way to refuse the work plan.

 

And here he is, on the Smug bastard’s drama set in Nami Island. He was sitting under the row of beautiful yellow Gingko tree, Ipad in hands, Tokyo Ghoul’s opening song, Unravel blazing through the earphone in his left ear. Other one dangling near his collarbone.

 

 He was in the middle of purchasing Champion for his League of Legends, contemplating over Lee Sin or Katarina. This is a tough decision- Lee Sin is blind but he got 7 badass abilities, and Katarina, aside of great skills and combos at clash and battles- she got a nice pairs of . Enough said.

 

His finger hovers on top of Katarina figure, about to complete with the purchase when someone kick his shin, making Changhyun to jump forward- Ipad flying up in the air before make a graceful landing, screen flash a ‘You have successfully purchase Lee Sin’. Damnit. Goodbye s.

 

His was reaching for the dropped device while his left hand grips on the nearby tree tightly. Nami Island is indeed something, even their Gingko tree trunk has become smooth and wait – the trunk now can even grab his hand and push it out from his grip. Wow.

 

“You’re slacking.” The trunk said. Choi Jonghyun aka The Tree Trunk Jonghyun aka The Smug Bastard.

 

Changhyun turns his head to the left, giving the culprit who kicked his shin a pointed look.

 

“You’re busy ogling over s than doing your jobs.”

 

Queue Changhyun’s ‘what the ’ look thrown at the standing man. “I’am doing my job well and me ogling over s has nothing to do with the job or you.”

 

“Your job is watching over me.”

 

The small man snorted. “I did. Oh, my camera did.” He said, pointing at the camera on the bench next to him.”

 

“Oh yeah, picture and video last forever. You might miss me when all this done.” Jonghyun give him his signature smirk before walking to away. Not before looks at him over his broad shoulder and say-

 

“Lets go. I’m hungry.”

 

Changhyun rolled his eyes and wonder how smugness can upgraded in short span of times.

 

**

 

“Why did you hate him?”

 

“I don’t. Im just me and he just him. We didn’t get along.”

 

“He’s not that bad.”

 

“And you are saying I am?”

 

Niel grimaced. “God damnit Yoo Changhyun. You’re impossible.”

 

Well, He’s really not that bad. Choi Jonghyun is not that bad. Not that he going to say out loud. Like hell he will.

 

But somehow they bonding over foods. Him and that smug bastard Choi Jonghyun.

 

Currently they are now on their fourth serving of Chuncheon dakgalbi. Lips red from the spiciness of the food and glass scattered on the table along with other side dishes.

 

“This is heaven.” They said at the same time. Laughed.

 

“To be honest,I haven’t got to eat delicious Korean foods like this for quite a long time. I am not allowed to. Oily they said.” Jonghyun laugh but somehow it sound empty to Changhyun ears.

 

“I got no time to eat this kind of foods too.”

 

“Youre just lazy. I saw your ramen stock at your house. You could pass as the God of ramen. Are they your whole life supply?”

 

Changhyun just smile. Nods.

 

“You kidding me. For real?” Jonghyun looks cute, jaw hanging and drumstick pointing at Changhyun.

 

“Kinda.”

 

“God, you needs to get a life. It’s unhealthy.”

 

“I am still alive.”

 

Now, the one who rolls his eyes was Jonghyun. “Yeah, for now. You don’t know how toxic ramen can be if you eating that every days. Wait – you’re not penniless are you? Because I just saw you bought some expensive online just now.”

 

“Say that I got no time?”

 

“That bull” The taller of two laughs. And Changhyun thought he looks like a bear.

 

“And you’re not the one working in front of desktops, chasing datelines.”

 

“Touche. Hey, really – you should get a life.”

 

“News flash, this is my life.”

 

“You’re impossible and somehow entertaining. How about- ” Jonghyun stop his sentence midway, seem thinking of something. Changhyun looks at his face, waiting – smirked when he saw the red sauce smudged on Jonghyun’s upper lip. What a celebrity.

 

“-urm we eat together during this whole observation setup. Three meals a day and we can eat delicious foods. Thinking this of helping both of us?”

 

“I am okay with my life and, why should I help you?”

 

“Because I said so?”

 

“Do I know you?”

 

“You hurt me. I thought us bonding well through dakgalbi. What a tough guy.”

 

“I got works and no time.”

 

“Well- to put it that way, I am your work. No?”

 

And that got Changhyun’s tongue tied.

 

“Should I call your boss?”

 

And that got Changhyun to release the heaviest sigh and nods. The still smug bastard grins.

 

That’s how Choi Jonghyun get his way in Changhyun’s life. And Changhyun wonders where his social anxiety went when he’s around Jonghyun.

 

 

**

 

 

Yoo Changhyun.

 

Jonghyun smiles as the name rolling on his tongue, liking how it sound. The small man piqued his interests. He’s monochrome, boring but it what makes Jonghyun see him as an interesting person.

 

Boring is the new fun.

 

For whole his life, he has met many kinds of people. But they were all the same. Predictable. Always want to kiss his - to please him. Words laced with lies, personalities layered by thick layers of duplicitous. Fake.

 

Just like him.

 

Jonghyun lives in the world where everything he do must be perfect, meet the standard setup by public for him. Perfect life, great personality and attitude, friends and lover that approve by fans and netizen, like a string puppet, living a pretentious lives.

 

Being famous come with trust issue. You don’t know who your real friends are. Jonghyun don’t know who to trust or who is going to be the next one to reach out to the gossip magazines and spill his beans.

 

Famous is awesome, it also a fickle. He are not allowed to mess up, or else his fans may lose in a heartbeat, all the fame will go down the drain. He saw enough of it, how some celebrity lost their fame just by a slip of tongue or they choose real lover instead of the one fans think compatible with them. Some just laugh too loud or had some imperfect past. Sometimes he thought celebrity should come from monk or nun. Should be a saint.

 

And Changhyun are someone he is not.

 

When he first met Changhyun, the guy not even looking at him. Nor a smile presented. If his manager didn’t introduce him, he wonders if Changhyun know. He was not like his other workmates who kept pestering him for autograph or photo, who kept sent their megawatt smiles from the moment he step his foot inside the company for meeting in regard of the game. But Changhyun, he just sat at the corner of the meeting table, eyes fixed on his laptop – nods only when required.

 

Changhyun’s face unmask for any reaction except for one time where his looked at the thick lips guys with deathly glare that Jonghyun relieved he was not a machine. Time to time, he looked over to the programmer with curiosity glinting in his eyes.

 

Changhyun is boring but he found him entertaining. Like there is a magnet pulling him toward the small guy.

 

Sometimes, Changhyun’s eyebrows did that small ticked and his cheeks puff out like a bun when he was irritated. He his lips in concentration, or how he unthinkingly scratching his head when he was thinking of something. At times, his cute button nose scrunched like a rabbit when he’s flabbergasted, mouth unintentionally pout.

 

And his brown orb is Jonghyun’s favourite. His sparkling eyes were irresistibly charming, glowing bright like stars, wherever he glanced, it feel as if bathed by warm sunlight. They are nothing so dull and lifeless. They are warm like the summer. The honest kind of eyes. It fascinating how they contrast to his usual expression.

 

Jonghyun likes it when he sometimes feisty. How he keep rolling his eyes.

 

Changhyun always acted like he was done with the world, with people- especially with Jonghyun. Like he doesn’t even care what other think of him. Jonghyun envy that character of him.

 

He wants to be friend with Changhyun, simply because the guy are not fond of him and he would make the realest friend he will ever have. At the same time also bring color to Yoo Changhyun’s monochrome life. He believed that Changhyun is more than meet the eyes.

 

More than just a Yoo Changhyun.

 

 

**

 

A/N: so, I got draggy with the plot and and all- so here the 1st chapter..initially it was a oneshot, but I had to cut it into 2 shots. More ideas coming, and it just doesn’t feels right to just throw it all into one shot. Hehehe.

 

I had an angsty ending in mind..but what do you guys think? Angst or happy ending?

 

Enjoy!!

 

And feel free to subscribe and comment.