Final

The Things You Do
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He fell into the seat next to his boyfriend's, and gave him a kiss on the cheek. He took pride in watching Kyungsoo blush and smile as he looked down. Jongin was always this sweet when it came to his boyfriend. To this day, he couldn't believe he'd got the stunning singer he'd been pining for since the start of the year. He admits that he's quite well-known - being a dancer and all - but he could never gather the courage to actually ask the other boy out. So when he did, and the other said yes, he made it his mission to show the other his love through words and kisses every day.

Kyungsoo let Jongin entwine their hands under the table, and managed to look up at his boyfriend's face with a blush still prominent on his face. Jongin stared down into Kyungsoo's large, owl-like eyes with adoration, and kissed his nose this time. He couldn't resist; Kyungsoo never tried to look cute, he just naturally managed it. According to Jongin, anyway. Jongin rubbed circles on Kyungsoo's hand, enjoying the softness of Kyungsoo's skin. "You've got soft skin," he told the other, since he knew Kyungsoo would've probably never thought of it before.

"Thank you," Kyungsoo muttered back, still flustered over the attention. "I like your skin, too."

The second part was so quiet, no one but Jongin was able to hear. But that made him feel special. Kyungsoo's compliments were only for him. He lifted their hands so he could kiss the back of Kyungsoo's. The older boy beamed at his affectionate boyfriend, and then pushed a plate of food over to him. "I bought this earlier," he explained.

Jongin let go of Kyungsoo's hand so he could tuck into the fried chicken Kyungsoo had so obviously made him that morning. He was exhausted, really, having just had dance practise, so this was what he needed. He took a bite of the chicken, and the flavours erupted in his mouth; just as good as ever. Kyungsoo was also an amazing cook, as well as being one of the best in the singing club. Jongin enjoyed eating Kyungsoo's food, and his boyfriend made him some every day. Apart from seeing Kyungsoo, his food was the other reason he really came to school every day. "Is it alright?" Kyungsoo asked warily, still insecure about his skills.

Jongin just smiles softly at him. He would always be happy to convince Kyungsoo over and over again that he was perfect, and so was his cooking. He leaned over and kissed Kyungsoo's forehead, and whispered, "It's as perfect as always, Soo. You're perfect."

Obviously bursting with happiness, Kyungsoo beamed. Jongin pulled the older down so his head could rest on his shoulder. It wasn't too long before he felt a weight lift and saw Kyungsoo's flawless face in front of his. His boyfriend went on to straighten out his shirt that he'd obviously not put on right after dance. Kyungsoo did that every morning when he arrived, too. Jongin got used to it, though, and came to accept that Kyungsoo did it. In fact, all the little things that most people learn in order to take care of themselves, Kyungsoo took care of for Jongin.

After that was done, Jongin put Kyungsoo's head back on his shoulder and linked their fingers together. They were too in their own world, that they didn't see the look of dissapointment from the person on the other side of the table. Kyungsoo was the first to get the feeling that someone was looking, and so looked up and found his best friend sitting and staring at them. Kyungsoo bit his lip, embarrassed, and lifted his head off of Jongin's shoulder. "Hi Baek," Kyungsoo muttered, shyly.

Baekhyun hummed and crossed his arms over his chest. While Kyungsoo looked down with red cheeks, Jongin just smirked at Baekhyun cockily and put an arm around Kyungsoo's shoulders. Baekhyun was Kyungsoo's best friend, who usually acted like a little puppy; loyal and playful, and was very protective of Kyungsoo. Jongin was thankful that he'd recieved Baekhyun's seal of approval, because if he didn't, then he would never have come as far as he had done with Kyungsoo. "Seriously, you guys? Do I have to watch that while I eat my lunch?" Baekhyun complained.

"Yep, or sit somewhere else," Jongin replied quickly.

Baekhyun scowled, but then turned to smile sweetly at Kyungsoo. "How was class, Soo?" He asked.

"It was good," Kyungsoo replied, cheeks still red. "I got top marks on the last History exam."

Jongin jumped to squeezing Kyungsoo tighter and letting out a shameless squeal. "My Soo is so smart!" He exclaimed.

"Yeah, yeah," Baekhyun rolled his eyes after saying, defeated.

Jongin went on to kiss all over Kyungsoo's face. The latter turned beet red while his boyfriend pampered him, but made no move to stop it. Secretly, Kyungsoo loved it when his boyfriend shows him his overbearing affection, no matter how embarressed he got. He could never show affection to that extent; he wasn't good at it, but he had his own thing.

Soon enough, Baekhyun's own boyfriend, Chanyeol, joined them and wrapped his arm around Baekhyun. Now the other boy could stop complaining about them, Jongin thought. Once the two of them were deep in their own conversation, he turned back to Kyungsoo so that he could fuss and compliment him further. He ate in between, savouring the taste of the food that Kyungsoo made for him. Lunch passed like it normally did, the four of them chatting and eating together like best friends should. Chanyeol and Jongin started complaining about school, and Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were trying to convince them that there was a point to it. Afterwards, Jongin decided to announce in the loudest voice that Kyungsoo's cooking was the best, which made a few heads in the dining hall turn.

Baekhyun smiled at the pair, silently appreciating how much affection Jongin showed his best friend. He tapped Chanyeol's shoulder and the two of them stood up to get to their next class. Jongin was happy that he was allowed a few minutes alone with his boyfriend. They didn't end up doing much until they had to leave, just talking about random things that came to mind - really it was just Jongin thinking of new ways to flatter Kyungsoo. Soon enough, their peace was shattered when Jongin's best friend, Sehun, decided to sit down on the chair that Chanyeol had not long ago vacated. Jongin watched him with a look of almost betrayal on his face as he thought about how he had ruined their private time. Sehun was innocently picking off pieces of sandwich that he can shove into his mouth as quick as possible. Jongin shifted his gaze to Kyungsoo, who no longer seemed to be in the mood for doing anything romance-related anymore. Jongin then decided to pout like a small child.

It was only when Sehun must've felt Jongin's burning gaze and Kyungsoo's concerned one did he look up at his two friends, a piece of bread still dangling from his lips. "What?" He mumbled, but it was hard to decipher because it came out a mumble with all the food still in Sehun's mouth.

Luckily for Sehun, before Jongin could start scolding his best friend for ruining his moment with Kyungsoo, his boyfriend took over the conversation. "Where were you all lunch, Sehun?" He asked in his concerned, motherly tone.

Jongin pouted, because not once did Kyungsoo ask him that when he came in late to lunch. He usually had a detention or something, but he'd always assumed that Kyungsoo knew that. But he and Sehun weren't all that different on that front, so why would he ask Sehun and not him? Jongin shook all negative thoughts from his head, deciding to focus on Sehun like his boyfriend was. After all, Sehun did disappear after dance and he quite wanted to know where his best friend went.

"Detention." The boy answered monotonously and then resumed eating.

Kyungsoo must have spotted Jongin's oncoming string of cusses that was going to be aimed at Sehun for disrespecting him, because he gripped Jongin's shoulder in attempt to hold him back. It worked, because Jongin knew he could never deny his boyfriend. In the end, he just huffed and grabbed hold of Kyungsoo's hand. "C'mon Soo, lets get out of here and go to class," he remarked.

He watched Kyungsoo give a small nod and then held his hand as he stood up to get out of the dining hall and to their next class. Before he was allowed to go, however, Sehun couldn't seem to stop himself from making one comment. "Was I interrupting something here?" He questioned insincerely.

"Don't be too jealous," Jongin stuck his tongue out after saying.

"As if."

"You can't help it that I'm awesome and you're not."

Sehun rolled his eyes as Jongin smiled cockily and pulled Kyungsoo closer to his side. He was never afraid to boast about how happy he was - or 'awesome' for that matter. He started to get ready to leave by standing up and pulling Kyungsoo with him. He led Kyungsoo away after flicking his wrist as a goodbye to Sehun. As they walked through the dining hall, Kyungsoo's cheeks turned more red the more turned towards onlookers. Jongin frowned slightly; was he ashamed of him? He knew that it should just be his insecurities talking and he really shouldn't listen to them, but he couldn't help but add up the facts. However, for now, he still clutched onto Kyungsoo's hand as they walked together.

They continued to hold hands as they walked through the halls and until they approached the Maths classroom where Kyungsoo's next lesson was. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were already waiting outside, but were in their own little world. Kyungsoo had his back pressed against the wall while Jongin was in front and peering down on him. The younger boy had a soft smile on his face, full of adoration as he looked at the flustered, adorable boy in front of him. "Hey, you," he whispered. "You are very cute."

Kyungsoo's eyes were looking anywhere but at Jongin, embarressed by the words. Jongin gently gripped his chin and turned his face so that he could stare into Kyungsoo's warm, large eyes. The older boy squirmed for a second, but then relaxed in Jongin's loving gaze. "You're very cute," Jongin repeated, firmly, like he wanted Kyungsoo to really hear him.

Kyungsoo pressed his lips together and looked down, causing Jongin to slowly drop his hand from Kyungsoo's chin. "You're very handsome," he whispered so quietly that Jongin almost didn't catch it.

However, Jongin had supreme hearing, so he was able to hear the thing Kyungsoo muttered sincerely. His heart swelled with pride, all insecurities about his boyfriend forgotten. "I know," he decided to tease. "I own a mirror."

Kyungsoo flushed scarlett, but let Jongin take hold of both his hands and swing them by the side of their bodies. It wasn't a lie, though, because even Jongin could admit that he had more than average looks for someone of his age usually did. No one could doubt it, not even the bully of the school could go against the fact that Jongin was handsome. And he was taken by Kyungsoo. "Yeah..." The other replied shakily, smiling at Jongin.

Seeing the perfect opportunity, Jongin moved down and quickly connected his and Kyungsoo's lips. It was one of the sweet kisses the two would have, where Jongin would hold Kyungsoo and simply taste his lips in the light but passionate kiss he placed on the other's lips. He pulled Kyungsoo's body closer, as if he wanted Kyungsoo to be as close as possible. The kiss didn't last too long, because Kyungsoo was still quite inexperienced and needed to break for air quickly. However, if Jongin could kiss him forever, he would.

After they parted, Jongin rested their foreheads together and stared deep into Kyungsoo's eyes that were swimming with emotion, one that unfortunately, Jongin couldn't read - he'd never been good at that. If only he could see what Kyungsoo was feeling through the emotion in his eyes. "I need to get to my class," he whispered.

"O-ok," Kyungsoo replied. "I'll see you after class?"

Kyungsoo bit his bottom lip, as if he was afraid of Jongin's answer. Jongin laughed slightly, and kissed Kyungsoo's nose quickly before pulling away from the other's face. Their hands were still clasped together, neither of them wanting to let go. "Of course you will. See you later."

At that, Jongin slipped his hands out of Kyungsoo's grip and made his own way down the corridor after giving him one last smile. He quickly made his way up the stairs with light feet, which dance helped making. He was never worried about being late to class, because Kyungsoo was worth it. In the beginning of the relationship, Kyungsoo would scold him for missing class, but he gradually got used to the fact that no matter what he said, he couldn't convince Jongin otherwise.

Once Jongin was passing yet another corner in the endless school building, he caught sight of someone that was staring straight at him. It was a girl who was standing behind a door that led to the cleaner's closet. Jongin could see her through the glass panel that the door had. Even Jongin, who didn't get scared easily, was a little freaked out at how direct the girl's eyes were. He even flicked his own eyes around the corridor, and found absolutely no one else. This only meant that she had to be looking at him on purpose, since no one would look straight at a person to make them uncomfortable unless they had some kind of business with them. Jongin bit his lip when the girl beckoned him over when she appeared to have his full attention. Hesitantly, he shuffled over to the girl tucked in the closet, opened the door and stepped in himself.

Up close, he could now see that he knew the girl that had decided to talk to him for some bizarre reason. She was undoubtedly beautiful with long, straight black hair and a curvy figure. Jongin would know her, because she was one of the few girls he had liked before he had noticed Kyungsoo - her name was Seohyun. He had no idea why she finally wanted to talk to him after he started dating Kyungsoo because the flirting between them had stopped then. Jongin had made sure it did. Well, he even did so when he found out he liked Kyungsoo before they were dating.

He looked down on the girl with a quizzical and impatient expression because he needed to get to class. He would usually only miss it for more time with Kyungsoo, not for random girls. "What is it?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I thought we could catch up, it's been ages," she replied, slightly immaturely.

"You thought we'd do that now? I have to get to class!"

The girl huffed and and pouted, as if that would change Jongin's mind. "What do you want to talk about anyway? I've been fine, you're obviously fine. Can I go now?"

He hoped he got across how much he didn't want to be there, but this girl was persistent. He knew that if anyone saw them, they'd get the wrong idea because there were only so many scenarios people could come up with when they saw two people alone in a closet - and most people weren't that creative. He especially didn't want Kyungsoo to find out about this, because the boy didn't need a reason to feel insecure.

"No," Seohyun whined. "How about your boyfriend?"

"Kyungsoo? What about him?"

At this topic, Jongin suddenly became very guarded. He wouldn't let anyone say anything bad about Kyungsoo. "You're happy with him?"

"Of course."

"Really? From what I've seen, all that happens between you two is you shouting your love and he does nothing."

Jongin flared with anger for Kyungsoo's sake, as he wasn't here to fight for his cause. Who was she to just assume things about their relationship? She doesn't know anything, he told himself. He wouldn't for a moment let himself believe anything she was saying. He couldn't. "He's shy and doesn't do it in public."

"My mistake, so he screams his love when you're alone."

Jongin held his tongue and cursed in his head when he realised he'd dug himself into a hole. The truth was that Kyungsoo didn't really do anything of the sort when they hung out alone. It would always be the same, and before today, it was their own secret. But now, because Seohyun sensed his hesitation and caught the signs he gave, she knew, too. "Then how do you know he really likes you?" She tilted her head with an evil look in her eyes that gave even Jongin the shivers.

"I just know he does."

"How are you sure? Isn't a relationship supposed to be about equality? How is it equal if you're the only one putting effort in?"

Jongin would never admit it, but it did make his head start to spin. Her words did, unfortunately, make sense, and as much as he didn't want to believe her, he found himself thinking over the events of their entire relationship. He remembers times when he was insecure about Kyungsoo's feelings and never told anybody, but then he'd catch a look Kyungsoo threw at him at the right time, and forget all about it. Jongin had to admit, though, that Kyungsoo rarely showed affection in the verbal sense. Jongin was trying to find one memory that reassured him that Kyungsoo is with him because he likes him, and not just because he felt sorry for him or is using him.

"Are you thinking about it?" Seohyun asks, but Jongin can't mistake the hint of amusement in her voice.

Jongin flared with anger, but he wasn't sure it was all at Seohyun. It was partly at himself, for doubting his lovely boyfriend. But then again, he couldn't help it. He understood that Kyungsoo was shy, but he had never given any sign that he did, in fact, like Jongin the same way Jongin liked him. He would always initiate skin ship and any affection. Kyungsoo even had to wait for Jongin to compliment him so he could do the same, as if he forgot to compliment him, or didn't think Jongin was worth complimenting. He was never able to be sure that the shy front Kyungsoo put up was an act, and his boyfriend was just using him. In the back of his mind, he knew he should have faith and trust his boyfriend, but the rare rational side of him was coming out and going against it.

"Shut up," he shot back.

"What? Can't take it? How do you even know he loves you?"

"I - I -"

"You don't. Exactly. No one can be that shy that he can't show affection in public in a relationship unless they feel nothing for the other party."

Jongin, however, still felt a need to protect Kyungsoo. After all, he was still devoted to his boyfriend. However, no one could mistake the fact that his words weren't as powerful towards the girl as they were at the beginning. Jongin was doubting. "It takes a while for him to adapt. Kyungsoo is shy."

"But you're not patient, are you Jongin? You should be with someone who is at your level. Wouldn't it be more fair to Kyungsoo if he was with someone who was patient to wait for him to adjust, that he actually loved."

Now, Jongin was close to tears. He didn't cry often - and that was the truth - but hearing all of this just really hurt. He was always one to believe people, but would never listen when others called him naïve. "Y-you don't think Kyungsoo loves me?"

"Jongin, I'm talking to you as an old friend, why would I lie? I mean, have you looked? He has never once outwardly admitted to liking you, as far as I've seen. If you don't have the reassurance, will you risk being in an unhealthy relationship?" Seohyun took a deep breath and then patted Jongin's shoulder. The latter was in too much shock to move. His brain couldn't seem to process all of this information at once - it was too much to think about. "I'm just trying to be a good friend."

At the sound of Seohyun's voice again, Jongin looked up into the girl's eyes. They surely looked sincere, but in a different way than Kyungsoo's usually do. Now he needed to decide which one of them he believes has the right look of sincere, and who is putting up a front. "I - I know," he mutters.

Jongin is too busy looking down to notice the smirk that forms momentarily on Seohyun's fce. He is too busy thinking of the possibilities that Kyungsoo is just using him. He is certainly always the one to show any kind of affection, and even if Kyungsoo is really shy, shouldn't he at least have tried? Was Jongin not worth trying over? Were the feelings mutual or not?

"I'll be going. See you around, Jongin."

Seohyun slips out of the closet, leaving Jongin in there with his thoughts. He is too preoccupied to this, of the strangeness of Seohyun's sudden meeting with him, because to him, thoughts of his boyfriend are more important than ones of rationality. Still stuck, Jongin decides that he will think about it during class; he is already very late. He follows in Seohyun's footsteps and leaves the closet and hurries to his class. When he gets there, the scolding from his teacher is much worse - it doesn't feel the same as when he gets scolded for Kyungsoo.

 

Over the next week, Jongin was watching Kyungsoo closely, closer than usual. He was picking out all of the little things he did and what kind of affection he showed him. Nothing had changed with Kyungsoo; he would act normally, unaware of the close attention Jongin was showing him. Jongin thought that he must be used to his weird behaviour when it came to him, anyway. Jongin still managed to be convincing when he was shouting out compliments for Kyungsoo, and he figured himself to be quite the good actor - he just couldn't be sincere when he had this many things going on in his mind. However, he must have been convincing because not even Baekhyun or Sehun - the most observant in the group - noticed.

Although, the only thing other than Jongin's sincerity that changed was the little glances over to Seohyun's table after he did anything romantic with Kyungsoo in the dining hall. The girl would always be watching him with curious eyes as he interacted with Kyungsoo, and for some reason, Jongin wanted to tell her what he was doing - to have someone understand. But unfortunately, he hadn't had another chance to talk with her.

From his observations, he could thoroughly conclude that he was the only one making an effort and Kyungsoo still blushed whenever he did anything. He used to find that action cute of his boyfriend, but now he just finds another reason to fret. To worry over their relationship that might be coming to an end.

 

It was a glorious day as Kyungsoo woke up that morning. The light was slipping in through the windows and illuminating everything in his room. He had always appreciated the little things in life, and the way that light would gently arise in the morning and illuminate all of the objects in his room was one of them. The small boy in the bed was happy where he was right now. He had a smile on his face because he was excited for the day. His boyfriend, Jongin, had announced that he wanted to meet up with him today unexpectedly and so he was more than excited for the unplanned date. Usually, Kyungsoo didn't like things when they weren't planned, but Jongin was an exception.

He had never planned to get together with Jongin; it just happened. Which was why, when it came to him, he didn't mind everything being last minute - he'd come to expect that with Jongin. It didn't take long for Kyungsoo to wake up and start getting ready. He combed his hair stylishly and washed every inch of his body. He pulled on an outfit he had reserved for dates with Jongin and tried to smooth it out as much as possible. After looking in the mirror for a final time, Kyungsoo picked up his phone and turned to leave his room. He rushed through the house, yelling a goodbye to his mother and turned out to the street.

Jongin had decided that he wanted to meet near the school that day and then he would take him somewhere. To say that Kyungsoo was intrigued was an understatement, because he was always interested in anything if it concerned Jongin. His cheeks turned red even thinking of the boy that he'd liked for a good long while, even before they started dating. He continued to walk up the path until he came to a familiar sight of the school building. As soon as he saw the sight of his flawless boyfriend, a smile unknowingly broke over his face. He doesn't know what happens to him, but around Jongin, he feels giddy and is suddenly more accepting to things. He knows that he still had to work on his confidence, but he's doing that slowly on his own. One day, he hopes that he can be more normal. But for now, he's trying.

Kyungsoo runs up to Jongin and stops in front of him. His boyfriend is dressed in black jeans that hug his muscular legs tightly and a hoodie. Kyungsoo noticed that his hair wasn't styled, but that look made him all the more irresistible. Although, when he looked up at Jongin's face, he didn't see the usual liveliness that his boyfriend possessed. In fact, his eyes were downcast and his lips was pressed into a thin line. Kyungsoo's own cheerful expression was wiped off in an instant, and he immediately felt concerned for his boyfriend. He placed a gentle hand on Jongin's arm, but it was soon shaken off. Kyungsoo tried not to let the hurt show on his face when he was rejected by his boyfriend. Instead, he focused solely on comforting him.

"Jongin? Are you ok?" He asked hesitantly.

As if reappearing from a trance, Jongin looked at Kyungsoo like it was the first time he'd seen him that day, and he almost looked sad for a moment. Kyungsoo tried again to place a hand on his arm, and this time, Jongin didn't push him off, but still looked uncomfortable. He ignored the further twist in his heart and understood that Jongin must have something on his mind. Honestly, his boyfriend had been acting weird for the past week. He may have acted like he hadn't noticed, but he had, and he'd been really worried about him. Hopefully, he'd get the answer as to why he was acting like that today. It was no secret that Kyungsoo was better at picking up on things through people's actions than Jongin was, so he was surprised that Jongin didn't think he'd notice. Really, he was hoping Jongin trusted him enough to tell him.

As Kyungsoo initiated more skin ship for the first time, Jongin still seemed to have a dazed expression. Kyungsoo tried not to show that he was hurt that Jongin didn't notice how he was acting. It was one of the first times he initiated something, and he thought that it was one of the first steps of learning to be more confident in himself. And Jongin didn't even notice. He fought off a frown from his face, and kept hold of Jongin's arm. "Can I take you somewhere?" Jongin asked, voice serious.

It would be a lie to say that Kyungsoo wasn't scared of what Jongin was about to do and say. Jongin led Kyungsoo around the corner - not far at all - to the alleyway behind that school. Since they didn't go anywhere with people, Kyungsoo knew that it was definitely private and only between the two of them. The fact that Jongin didn't tell him to meet up at the younger's house only got Kyungsoo questioning him more - and got him more afraid. "Jongin, you're scaring me," he spoke truthfully.

He heard the other boy wince but he still didn't stop until the two of them were hidden from view completely. Kyungsoo looked up at the younger boy with nothing but affection in his eyes, but Jongin wouldn't spare a glance his way. Kyungsoo's heart hammered against his chest in fear, because the grave look on Jongin's face already gave him some sort of clue that this wasn't going to be a pleasant conversation. "What is it?" He tried asking, and placing a hand on Jongin's face to get him to look his way. The other boy still seemed to be oblivious over how much Kyungsoo was trying. It did hurt, but he accepted that Jongin looked like he had plenty of things on his mind.

Kyungsoo lowered his hand, but Jongin found a way to entwine their fingers again when he snapped back from his trance. "What's wrong, Jongin?"

He tried smiling up at the younger, but that didn't wipe the frown from Jongin's face. Eventually, the other boy let out a deep sigh and stared right into Kyungsoo's expectant eyes. "Kyungsoo, I want us to talk about something," Jongin started.

The sentance didn't calm Kyungsoo's racing heart that was speeding up by the second, in fact, Jongin's presence really wasn't helping at all. His heart always did funny things when Jongin was involved. "Anything," he whispered in return.

"I just - I don't know how to say it..."

Kyungsoo paused before replying. "Just say what you feel."

"Ok - ok - it's just that, Kyungsoo, I - I don't think we should do this anymore."

This time, Kyungsoo's heart did the exact opposite of what it had been doing - it stopped. Dead for a few moments, Kyungsoo didn't move. It was equivalent to his heart being trampled on by a thousand horses, it was shattering. He physically couldn't move, the impact of the sudden words taking it's toll on the fragile-hearted boy. "W-what do you mean?"

Kyungsoo was doing his best to hold in tears that were threatening to spill out. He just couldn't believe that this was happening. He thought that they were ok. He thought that Jongin understood that he had to adapt to someone finally liking him that way, to get over his inexperience. He thought he gave as much as he could. But it wasn't enough. His eyes were already glassy was unshed tears and he was trembling now.

"I mean that I don't think we are in the same place."

It shocked Kyungsoo how steady Jongin was, but who was he to blame? He knew Jongin had been off all week, and now he knew this is what explained the far away glances and deep thought. Was he really being troublesome? What did he do wrong? Kyungsoo felt so helpless right then, and it didn't help that his heart was being squeezed over and over again by the younger's now almost cold look. He'd dropped Kyungsoo's hand and stepped back, giving the two of them a little distance. Kyungsoo tried not to show how much it hurt, but he was so broken that he couldn't help but let emotion leak out of him. Jongin probably wouldn't notice anyway. He thought that it was always clear that Kyungsoo had never known what it was like to be loved in a relationship. Before Jongin, he always thought he was undesirable. And now he thought that he still was. "Not in the s-same place?" He questioned.

Jongin was now standing straight and rigid, like being with Kyungsoo had him disgusted. Kyungsoo wondered how long he'd felt like that - was it just the week he'd been acting weird? He didn't know, but what he did know was that everything he'd been doing hadn't been enough for Jongin and most likely anyone else. He had to face the fact that he would never be good enough for anyone no matter how hard he tried. "Yes, I mean, you obviously don't feel the same extent for me as I do for you, right?"

Kyungsoo was flabbergasted. "What? That's it? How could you think that?"

Jongin could doubt a whole lot of things about Kyungsoo, but there was no way he could doubt his affection. He knew that he had a hard time showing it because it was one of the things he was learning, but he thought that Jongin should have picked up on how much he's trying and how much more affection he shows him over anyone else. But obviously it was never enough. Kyungsoo had never been enough.

"Don't do that, I've been watching this whole week. Are you just stringing me along out of pity or something, to make you feel good?"

Jongin's eyes were hard, and Kyungsoo was more scared now than he ever had been with Jongin. He wasn't the same loving Jongin as he'd grown used to. He didn't look at Kyungsoo with an ounce of affection, and instead, he looked at him like he would when someone had done him wrong. Kyungsoo was, simply put it, lost. Jongin's words were also filled with venom and spite, and Kyungsoo didn't know where to start explaining himself. He was always good in writing courses, but his brain was failing him now in front of the one person that can make him feel wanted, about to lose him forever. "N-no -"

"Then what? I saw it with my very own eyes, Kyungsoo."

No nickname. Jongin was deadly serious. "W-what did you s-see?"

"The truth. You can't deny it, Kyungsoo. You don't even try. You don't do anything. We're suppose to be equals. But you wouldn't know that, would you?"

He knew that Jongin himself wad speaking mainly from hurt, but that only made the spiteful words sting more as he recived them. It also brought a little bit of anger that showed itself through his flaming cheeks. "You could have mentioned it instead of keeping it to yourself. That way, I could have done something about it!"

There was a pause before Jongin spoke again, but softly. And for some reason, it scared Kyungsoo more. It was like Jongin was giving up once and for all. "I wasn't going to force you into liking me."

"You weren't forcing me! You have to know that my feelings are sincere!"

"Please, don't force yourself. I'd never make you do that. It's obvious that you were. I'll leave first, to make things easier, shall I?"

"What? No!" As Jongin was turning to leave, Kyungsoo caught hold of his sleeve and held on with a tight grip. Jongin tried to pull and struggle away from it, but Kyungsoo wasn't giving in any time soon. "You have to listen! I've-"

"I won't make you."

"You. Are. Not. And you're not listening!"

"I don't want to hear it. Please, don't." Jongin managed to struggle out of Kyungsoo's grip, mainly because Kyungsoo had gone limp again over Jongin's words. He kept shaking his head, as if it would make the nightmare go away. But it never did. It was real. Jongin slowly edged away from a speechless Kyungsoo, who wasn't exactly allowed to speak even if he tried, anyway. He again felt hopeless. "It's over, Kyungsoo."

Jongin turned and left the frozen boy still in the alley. Kyungsoo kept playing the scene that just happened over and over again in his head, hurting himself again and again. But he felt that his deserved it for not doing enough. He was really useless. However, right now, all he felt was the most terrible of heartbreaks.The pain was almost unbearable, and Kyungsoo had to clench the piece of fabric over his heart. He stumbled back, still in a state of disbelief. He couldn't believe that he'd woken up that morning with so much joy for the day, and now here he was, crying in the alleyway behind the school building.

With tears rolling down his cheeks, Kyungsoo stumbled back until his back hit the wall and then he slid down so that he was sitting with his knees pulled up to his chest. While in that position, Kyungsoo continued to cry it out for a good long while. He just couldn't believe that it had happened; he lost Jongin. He was a crying mess, but right now, he didn't care. He was already low anyway, so why not make it worse? He didn't think it made an awful lot of difference. He'd always be unworthy, and mess things up. He'd awlays be undeserving of love, no matter how much he tried to prove that he is - through the little things.

 

When he got home, Kyungsoo spent the rest of the day crying on his bed. He knew it was quite a childish thing to do, but he couldn't stop the tears from flowing. He needed to get them out. He curled into a little ball under the covers and pulled them to his chest, wondering if they could cover him up and make him disappear completely. They didn't, unfortunately.

Once he felt that he was emotionally stable enough, he reached over to his bedside table and picked up his phone to call Baekhyun. The other boy, being the supportive best friend, answered on the first ring. "Yo," he spoke down the line.

"B-Baek-" Kyungsoo stuttered in his teary voice.

"Soo? What's wrong?" Baekhyun was frantic now.

"C-can you come over? S-something happened."

"I'll be right there."

Kyungsoo heard loud footsteps before Baekhyun hang up, which did bring a smile to his face. It was good to know that Baekhyun would always be a constant - that he could always count on friendship in tough times. Baekhyun had always been the overly kind one, and Kyungsoo appreciated him with every last fibre in his body.

It didn't take the other boy that long to get there, since he must have been rushing. But when he was, Kyungsoo could hear his loud footsteps charging up the stairs and his loud voice bellowing, "Kyungsoo emergency!" That was despite the fact that Kyungsoo's mother had gone out and he was the only one there - and Baekhyun had his own key for the house since both Kyungsoo and his mother trusted him with it.

Baekhyun burst through Kyungsoo's bedroom door in a dramatic, comical fashion that almost had Kyungsoo chuckling. Almost. He had his arms wide open and didn't even bother to close the door as he rushed over to the boy in the bed with tears in his eyes to envelop him in a bone-crushing hug. At this point, Kyungsoo didn't mind and simply buried his face in Baekhyun's shoulder, hoping for it no never re-surface. Baekhyun's hug was warm, and for the moment, Kyungsoo had found solitude with just being held by his best friend. When Baekhyun seemed to think Kyungsoo was stable enough, he pried him off of his shoulder and held his face in his two hands. "What happened, Soo?" He asked.

"J-Jongin, h-he-" Kyungsoo started.

"What did that arsehole do now?"

It took a few moments for Kyungsoo to compose himself, but with Baekhyun's hand rubbing his back comfortingly, it sure sped up the process. After taking a final, deep breath, Kyungsoo explained. "He broke up with me."

The shock on Baekhyun's face couldn't be described. His best friend seemed to freeze for a second, and then everything just escalated. "HE DID WHAT?"

"Broke up with me." Kyungsoo sniffed again and rested his head on Baekhyun's shoulder once more.

"But why?"

"H-he said that he thought he liked me more than I like him."

Baekhyun's anger was obvious from the red, fuming face and the forced breaths. He couldn't seem to comprehend why someone would do such a thing to his best friend, who everyone knows isn't very confident. "What bull! Doesn't he realise how much-"

"It's done, Baekhyun," Kyungsoo cut him off. "Nothing you say will change anything. I wasn't enough."

Baekhyun jolted and turned around so that he was kneeling on the bed. He took Kyungsoo's face in his hands again and stared deeply into the other's wide eyes. "Don't say that. If he had the audacity to say that, then he's not worthy enough for you. Trust Baekkie on this, you're more than enough for anyone - he's just blind."

Kyungsoo sniffed again, but nevertheless nodded. Baekhyun seemed satisfied as he embraced Kyungsoo again, but he didn't seem like he believed Kyungsoo. Hell, even Kyungsoo wasn't sure that he believed it. But for now, he just let himself be held by his best friend who relaxed him until all of his troubles were cried out and he could act somewhat normal again.

 

The following Monday at school, the news that the couple had broken up spread like a wildfire. The first hint of the break up was when Jongin didn't run and greet Kyungsoo like he normally did. The second was when he didn't follow Kyungsoo and Baekhyun to the library and stayed standing by the front of the school, waiting for Sehun. The third was the massive death-glare that Baekhyun shot Jongin's way.

To say that it was awkward was an understatement, because the whole school was on edge for the whole day. Even if Jongin and Kyungsoo didn't give off any hints that they would snap, no one wanted to say something wrong anyway. It was all very tense, and Baekhyun's foul mood at Jongin didn't help. The boy in question was also feeling very upset. But this was his choice, wasn't it? It was supposed to make him happy. So why was he feeling like he just missed out on the best thing that ever happened to him. Jongin told himself that it would pass, and it was just a normal stage that people go through after a break up. It was more healthy for the both of them, so he told himself that he was trying to be the good guy here. However, most people especially didn't seem to think so. As he passed through the corridor on the Monday, all he received was glances of pity, as if they were mocking him on the inside. Did he make a mistake? But he can't have, because this was the only way for Kyungsoo to truly be happy.

Jongin didn't tell Sehun that they broke up over the weekend, because he didn't feel like he had the strength to do so. For the rest of the time, he'd mourned over his loss, alone in his bedroom. So it was all a surprise to his best friend when he turned up to school on Monday with a grim expression on his face and an obvious effort to avoid Kyungsoo - and Baekhyun. God, Baekhyun was scary. This obviously meant that Kyungsoo told Baekhyun what happened, and now Jongin fears slightly for his life. Baekhyun was a best friend he never wanted to mess with, and now he had him as a permanent enemy, which wasn't great. If he could find a way for them to be friends again, maybe it was possible for the other boy to stop hating him, but under the circumstances, he didn't think that it would be plausible. It was a shame, because Kyungsoo's friends, Chanyeol and Baekhyun, were always loyal and fun and good to be around. But that was no more.

He found himself sighing as he sat next to Sehun at a table in the dining hall, waiting for time to pass so that he could go to lessons, actually focus for once and forget about all the Kyungsoo related thoughts that were crowding his mind. He could feel the worried glances of his own best friend every so often, and it was driving him insane - Sehun was never a good one for being inconspicuous. It was funny really, considering how quiet he was otherwise. After practically feeling Sehun's eyes burning into his skin because of the other's desire to know, Jongin gave in and turned to Sehun. "What is it?" He asked in a bored tone.

"What happened?" Sehun replied far too quickly for his liking.

"We broke up."

Sehun's eyes widened in something like surprise. "So not just a fight? You really broke up?"

Jongin sighed, already knowing that this conversation wasn't going to do him any good. "Yes, we did. What else do you want to know?"

"What did you do?"

Jongin looks back at his friend, slightly offended that he would think that he was the one to mess things all up. Jongin did this out of his love for Kyungsoo, to protect him from being in a relationship that he didn't really want. Although, he'd never mention the fact that Seohyun was the one that made him realise all of this. Sehun would just come up with some crazy logic about her being evil. His best friend was always supporting him getting together with Kyungsoo, anyway. "Why do you think that I did anything? I was the one that broke it off with him, actually."

Sehun's eyes widened so much that they were almost at Kyungsoo's extent. The thought was quickly washed from Jongin's head, because he really didn't need to be reminding himself about Kyungsoo. He was trying to get over the other boy. "Why would you do that?" Sehun asked, puzzled.

"Because! You saw him! Have you noticed how much more I care for him? It wasn't fair for me or him that we continue this way. We need to be with people that go at our own speed."

Sehun, who didn't usually show emotion, took this opportunity to look astounded. Jongin was slightly confused at his friend, and only more so when Sehun reached over the table to whack the back of his head. It wasn't hard, but it took Jongin by surprise so he flew forward a bit and winced in pain. "Ouch! What was that for?"

"For being an idiot! That was the reason you broke up?"

"Yes! I'm trying to think of his interests here!"

"Are you sure? Because it just seems to me that you are trying to protect your pride. Did you even give him a chance to explain? Have you not noticed-"

Jongin couldn't help but give out an unexpected growl at his friend's behaviour. Sehun was supposed to be on his side, to support him in this time. He did love Kyungsoo, of course he did, even if he never said it outright like that, but surely all of his actions and words told him that. And so it was kinder to do this. To prevent Kyungsoo from wasting his time on him, when he could be with someone who he cherishes. And he couldn't see Kyungsoo lie, trying to explain things. The facts were all there, with no reason to deny them. And Jongin has noticed all that he needed to notice to make a firm decision. "Sehun, I don't want to hear it. I'm miserable enough as it is."

"Well then why did you make yourself miserable when it could have been prevented by simply talking to Kyungsoo about it?"

Jongin laughed a little. "Funny. Kyungsoo said a similar thing."

"Well, at least two of us are seeing straight."

Jongin then turned to his friend on his seat, sitting bolt upright now, ready for anything. He was aware of some people trying to listen in on their conversation, eager for gossip. But they could hear if they wanted, surely it wouldn't affect him. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that I don't know what's gotten into you! Why are you so suddenly thinking like this?"

Jongin seemed to relax as Sehun's words gradually got calmer and calmer as his friend became aware that Jongin was not up for a long lecture today. Jongin could see that there was so much to say at the tip of Sehun's tongue that he was holding back for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter