Dibs

Lost in the Moon

"This is some Twilight .”

In the face of danger Taeyeon scoffs.

Dusk was fast approaching and it was only a few minutes ago that she discovered it was the hour creatures came out to play. Taeyeon smacks the head of her flickering flashlight against her palm, stifling her curses aimed towards herself for cheaping out on buying the much needed change of batteries.

She had just wrapped up her patrol of the area when a snarl echoed through the dense forest. With the facts she knew of her surrounding environment, Taeyeon had no knowledge of any wolf packs residing in the area. That aside, the snarl she had heard was clearly, and easily recognised as a wolf’s snarl.

Taeyeon had stayed calm. It was best to keep her mindset as so instead of running wild eyed through the forest. Even if so, that same mindset couldn’t have been said for her trusted stallion who had bucked her right off of his back in fright. Still trying to catch her breath after getting the wind knocked out of her, Taeyeon tracks her way back to the outfield office with her pathetic, failing flashlight.

Unlike Buttercup, who had run off with his tail in between his legs, Taeyeon enjoyed the walk back. The air was crisp, being found far away from civilisation almost untouched and unpolluted, felt amazing to her. The forest sat still as she walked through it, any animals around her scared silent at the snarl.

If there were to be any wolves running amuck in the forest Taeyeon knew she wouldn’t stand a chance at camouflaging. Not with her ranger uniform. Decked out in all red khaki shorts, polo shirt and the cap to match, she knew she’d look like a running fire hydrant if she had to make a run for it. She didn’t know what was worse: getting pissed on by a wolf or mauled.

Taeyeon guessed her safety was a second thought up against possible lost hikers needing to easily spot someone who’d be able to direct them to their safety.  

She gives up on her flashlight, the path was lit up better anyways with the moonlights’ glow than the dull light being emitted by her flashlight.

It was a full moon out tonight.

Taeyeon chuckled at her mind imagining up the idea of her spotting a werewolf.

If only she knew what lie ahead for her in that forest.

--

 

Krystal had called dibs. From the first time her eyes came across her Krystal had been transfixed.

During the time period between school finishing and dinner was when the teenagers owned the woods, taking advantage of the leisured time they had for a run before it got too dark out. And during that time without missing a day, besides weekends of course, Krystal would catch her out there, on patrol it seems.

She never got too close, just in case that horse of hers heard Krystal stalking. That, alongside the boundary set by the council, was unfortunately where Krystal’s secret human was always patrolling about.

"You’re getting too close to the boundary, Krystal.”

Krystal had recently opted to walking through the forest in skin. The woodland creatures seemed to scamper away from her when spotted in skin compared to their usual panicked bolt during her usual run.

The only negative to her now sneaking skill was that Gregory Walts found it as an invitation to join her, thinking it was some sort of romantic stroll.

Him talking doesn’t help her stalking.

"It doesn’t matter, Gregory. It only becomes a problem if I cross it.”

Gregory was an uptight, upper-class specimen. Krystal liked to classify him as such. As all Walts were. His father was on the council, his mother the principal of their school. He had all the rights to be the jittery person he was when it came to rules.

But sadly, Krystal was the opposite of rule bounding and his commentary was beginning to annoy her.

Why he followed her instead of drinking tea up at The Corner with his fellow uptight, upper-classmen, uptown counterparts would always astonish her. But she knew he wouldn’t leave her alone because he was too busy listening to his little brain downstairs and grovelling for the affection mother dearest wouldn’t give him.

Too bad for him, because neither would she.

"Oh no, Krystal.” Gregory tugged on the sleeve of her school shirt. “It’s the Madison boys.”

If Krystal was one to test boundaries, then the Madison boys were out to prove boundaries laughable, as if they were myths to them. Usually, she didn’t mind them. They minded their own business and so did she.

What she did mind was how they sniffed the air, snickering as they trailed closer to Krystal. However, unlike her, they crossed way past the boundaries. And what she knew was over them boundaries she didn’t care to share, not with the way their eyes glinted in mischief and upper lips hitched up to reveal sharp canines.

"Madison.” All three boys turned to look at her. “I know what you’re up to, and I’ve already called dibs.”

The eldest of the Madison boys was only two years her senior. He turned away from his brothers, turning his prowl towards her. “My, my! Why, isn’t it just a Jung. I’ve run in this forest longer than you have. You can’t call dibs in my forest.”

She knew how the gears in his head turned, like how they all turned in the Madisons’ household. If you’re older then you’re immediately ranked dominant over others who were younger. Playing by his rules, Krystal put on a smug grin, overjoyed to see how it irked Tyler Madison.

He walked right into her personal space. In her peripheral vision she saw Gregory flinch. Not one to back down, especially if her little ranger was what was up for stakes, Krystal inclined her head, keeping Tyler’s eye contact that many turned away from. One of the more immature of the Madisons had shifted to fur, letting out a snarl menacing enough to have Gregory wet his pants. Did he feel threatened now that someone finally stood up to his power hungry brother?

"It seems my sister has run this forest 3 years atop yours.” She noticed the clench of his jaw. Oh, two can play this game of his, she thought. “Should I call her over and see if I can call dibs or not.” It only helped that she knew Tyler Madison, and maybe another brother or two, fancied her older sister.

"Have it your way, Jung.”

"It looks like I will. I’m the werewolf of this forest, Madison, and that’s my little red riding hood.”


Unfortunately, this was a discontinued ongoing. 

-Flying-Unicorns