Full

Winter Love

        Another cold winter day has fallen upon this city. I look outside the window of the coffee shop, observing the faces of strangers. Everybody’s hiding under layers of clothes, keeping warm. The only thing keeping me warm is the untouched cup of coffee sitting in front of me. It’s getting cold, I know. Christmas music plays in the speakers above me. Each one about finding the love of their life under the mistletoe. It seemed to lift my spirit a little bit, but then that song started to play. The song that you would sing to me every Christmas while playing the guitar I bought you. The song that would make me love you a little bit more just because it was you singing. Man, things were so different then.

       Then, I would be sitting inside the same exact coffee shop, but the only person I would be looking at was you. Your protective side always came out when you never let me order anything with caffeine because you were always so creeped out when I was hyper. It was fine though; I didn’t need that cup of coffee to keep me warm…I had you. Even a discreet smile from you would make my heart start fluttering in every direction possible. Love is such a stupid thing. Yet I keep going back for it. I must be the stupid one. Do you remember that time we went to that playground in our neighborhood? It was dark at night; the only source of light were the lampposts and of course the slight shimmering of the stars and moon. We played hide and seek until even the lampposts fell asleep. I was hiding in the little tunnel that connected two slides together when you suddenly yelled my name which caught me off guard. I was so surprised that I fell down the left slide, head aiming for the ground. 

       There’s a lot to miss. Your warm embrace, your sweet smile, and of course your comforting laugh. I got so used to it, and one day it disappeared. Forever. And ever. Of course there are things I don’t miss either. We seemed to fight so much that I don’t even remember a peaceful moment towards the end of our relationship. It started with small things, and it snowballed into a huge fight. I would judge everything you did, and you would nitpick my every decision. I’m sure that that was fate playing it’s role. It was a short lived love, but I did love you. I loved you more than the stars, more than the galaxy. You were mine for awhile, but I guess I was just a bus stop along the way. You’ve probably transferred far away already. I hope we’ll both reach our final destinations, but for now, I’ll just leave my coffee untouched.