Chapter Zero: Pilot

You Never Walk Alone

Jimin hated funerals. He hated when people would cry, and moan at someone’s loss when they weren’t there in the first place. He let reality sink in, Taehyung was dead. Gone. No more running along abandoned trains, no more drinking together and looking up at the night sky. Just as if he were never there, his soul was vanished and he was dead.

 

To Jimin, Taehyung’s corpse was too familiar. He remembered how Taehyung used to sleep next to him on the abandoned boxcar. A feeling of numbness was at this wake, seeing Taehyung pale, hands folded, eyes closed to never again open. Out of all of them, why Taehyung? His best friend.

Jimin went back to his seat. As he watched Seokjin walk up to Taehyung.

 

Seokjin was Taehyung’s lover, Jimin very much indeed loved the company of the other five boys that he and Taehyung had come to meet in their life of running- the closest friends they ever had. Jimin’s support system. He needed them the most now more than anything.

 

Kim Seokjin was like a mother- that’s the only way he could be described. He was caring, sweet and attentive. He always knew when something was wrong with one of them. He’d rush to anywhere in the world if one of them was hurt. He’d do anything in his power to help them. He was the oldest out of all of them.

 

Jimin wondered how the one who was like a therapist would be able to help them grieve Taehyung’s death if Taehyung was Jin’s everything. They did a lot together, Seokjin and Taehyung. They were inseparable. No one was annoyed by their romance. They embraced it, it brung a strong bond between the boys.

 

“Taehyung-ah…”

 

The strained voice of Seokjin was almost inaudible. Jimin’s heart sunk but, if anyone here felt the worst it was probably Jungkook, he sat in a wheelchair, his broken gaze hasn’t left the casket since they arrived. He watched Taehyung die. In front of his face. Jungkook hasn’t spoken a word since.

 

Jungkook was always a good kid, he was the youngest member. He was full of life, full of an energy that never faltered. Jimin saw Jungkook as the sun. Bright, warm, and endless energy. He gave the group the energy, and never failed to do it. He was the life of the group. It hurt Jimin immensely to see that light diminished.

 

“Is there anyone else that would like to see the body?”

 

Namjoon, Yoongi and Hoseok all stood up. Jimin had never seen Min Yoongi in a suit before. Yoongi was the rock, the man who held us all together, and the laziest man he knew. Yoongi was a dreamer. He wasn’t always happy, and sometimes he argued with one of them. The argument would never last because Taehyung, so scared of conflict would get upset. No one liked Taehyung upset. Jung Hoseok was a happy virus, he had the ability to put a smile on anyone’s face. He had weird antics, he joked a lot. This was the first time Jimin had seen Hoseok so serious, without a smile on his face.

 

Last but not Least Kim Namjoon, the strongest member out of all of them- protective. Namjoon would take a bullet for any of them. He was the most trustworthy, loyal person that Jimin knew. As closeness went. The second closest to Jimin was Namjoon. Jimin looked up to him like a brother- the hyung that he had wanted.

 

The coffin was shut after them, and the priest softly spoke- “Bow your head in prayer.”

 

---

 

Taehyung wanted to be cremated, and his ashes spread at the beach they all hung out at on,one fine spring day. When the waves collided silently with the sand and the night sky was absolutely wonderful. That night Taehyung spoke to Jimin alone while they watched Jungkook and Hoseok tackle each other into the water.

 

“Jimin hyung, if I die, spread my ashes here-”

 

Jimin replied of course with a ‘What are you talking about Taehyung?’ but reluctantly agreed to the others morbid request. Who knew Taehyung was foreshadowing the inevitable. His own death. Jimin felt tears swell in his eyes again. Thinking of Taehyung’s last words to them, the last dying breath he gave to Jungkook.

 

“You’ll never walk alone-”

 

---

 

“So, what do we do now.” Yoongi said as they left the funeral home insync, each member had slowed their pace, to match with the speed that Jungkook wheeled his chair. There was a long silence before Namjoon threw the empty lollipop on the ground. “What would Taehyung have wanted us to do?” Jimin took in air, “He would want us to never leave each other, to stay together.” Seokjin spoke the words on the tip of Jimin’s tongue.

 

“You’re right, that’s exactly what he would want.” Jimin said and looked up at the sky, “It was beautiful outside, as if the very sky were Taehyung. “How about we hit up that Jjajangmyun food car Taehyung loved so much?” The boys agreed with Jimin and they all walked together.

 

Jimin could barely eat his bowl of Jjajangmyun, the cook didn’t say a word to the boys. He had heard what happened to Taehyung, Jimin knew he probably didn’t want to press the issue. He even gave the meal to them for free.

 

“Jimin?” He turned his head to the familiar voice of Hoseok who was sitting behind him, “Why don’t you and Seokjin do the honors…” He was referring to the spreading of the ashes. “Yeah, Hoseok is right, you and Jin were the closest to him right?” Jimin looked at Seokjin, who returned the gaze, “Alright, We can do it together…”

 

Jimin nodded, “Yeah, we’ll do it…” The boys sat in a silence for a while nobody knowing what to say or do, this day proved to much for Jimin. He had to be strong for Taehyung’s sake, for his own sake. Nothing can bring back that box smile that Taehyung would have given them. He is gone.

 

Taehyung is dead.