Closure

Missing You

Sunggyu once again stood in the middle of the park, under the snow-covered sakura tree where he finds himself standing infront the very person he thought he would never come across again.

He plasters a slanted smile and tilts his head, a little embarrassed. "Hey," he whispered softly.

Sunggyu watches as the surprise look on her face slowly turns into a forced and awkward smile.

He felt his heart skip a beat as she let out an awkward laugh, holding on to the scarf around her neck as if it will conceal the pain showing in her eyes. "Hey," she whispers back.

Sunggyu  fights the urge to step closer. He stuffs his hands inside the pockets of his parka and let's out a sigh.

He gives her another look and flinches at the small pinch of pain he felt inside his chest.

She's changed so much over the past ten years. The short bob cut hair that used to stick out everywhere is now sitting in a long, straight ash brown color on her shoulders. The oversized varsity jacket and loose jeans he had grown to love during high school was no more. Instead, she wears a red duffel coat and a gray scarf around her neck.

Her thick long lashes and her pink tinted lips, like it always did, once again sways Sunggyu's heart.

Words makes a rowdy mess in his mind, wanting to all come out at the same time.

You're still beautiful as always. 
I missed you.

God, I missed you so much.

"How have you been?" he says instead.

Sunggyu presses his lips together in an attempt to stop himself from rambling incoherent and random words.

He wanted to apologize. He wanted to win her back. He wanted to bring back time and fix everything.

He wanted her to be his again.

But Sunggyu knows it was impossible. The way he hurt her, how he dumped her and left her like she never meant anything to him. It was unforgivable. 

She did everything for him. Everything.

And he broke her heart. No, he shattered it. Shattered it to a million pieces and left it with no way of fixing it.

She was willing to give up everything for him but Sunggyu made a mistake of choosing someone else over her.

He was an idiot, he was.

"I've been good," she whispers. "I'll be staying here for good."

She fidgets on her spot and looks at him carefully. "How have you been?"

Terrible. 

I miss you. 

I miss you so much. 

I miss holding your small soft hands. 

I miss your warm hugs. 

I miss the soft kisses on the cheeks and the late night whispers of I love you.

I miss the homemade lunch and the morning kisses. 

I miss the back hugs and the shy smiles. 

I miss the late night video chats and the cuddles on the couch.

I miss you.

I miss you so bad.

Please come back.

"Good, I guess," he says instead, shrugging.

Idiot.

Sunggyu smiles at him softly. He looks at her carefully, recognizing the shy and awkward smile he fell in love with.

He can't hold it back anymore. "I missed you," he finally says.

Surprise registers in her face. She looks away from Sunggyu and stares at the ground.

"I missed you, too," she whispers, it was barely audible but the quiet park made him hear it anyway.

Sunggyu felt his heart flip. His heart suddenly filled with hope and for a moment, for a moment he thought they had a chance.

For a moment, he thought they could start over.

For a moment, he thought he could bring it all back.

But it all falls under false hope.

"But it's too late now," she continued softly.

A painful silence fills the space between them.

He should've known. Why would he even think otherwise? She might've loved him with all her heart before but after all the heartbreak, regardless if it was ten years ago, they can't just go back to how they used to be.

"Mama~!"

The small squeaky voice suddenly breaks the silence between them and they both turn to look at a little boy in a parka, probably around 3 or 4 years old, running towards them, his feet leaving small footsteps on the thick snow.

The boy throws itself at her and Sunggyu felt his heart sink but had it leaping again when he says his name.

"Minwoo, what are you doing here? Where's Papa?"

She must've felt him staring because she looked at him, a glint of guilt visible in her eyes.

Just then, a taller male carefully makes his way towards them. A fatherly smile playing on his lips as he crouches down to pick the little boy up. "I told you not to run. You'll trip," he scolded softly.

The child pouts and stretches his hands to hug the taller male, as if it was his way of saying sorry.

The taller male smiles and looks at Sunggyu, finally acknowledging him. He smiles. "Nice to see you again, Sunggyu."

Sunggyu tries to hide the pain from his face and forces a smile. "Hey, Woohyun. Been a while."

The younger male nods and looks over to his wife. He wraps an arm around his waist and places a kiss on her forehead. "I'll wait for you in the car," he whispers before walking way.

She nods and looks at Sunggyu. She smiles, finally taking careful steps towards him.

She stops, leaving a step distance between them. She looks up at him and gives him an apologetic smile.

Sunggyu returns the smile. 

"You named him Minwoo," he chuckles.

She laughs rather awkwardly and nods her head. "Yeah. I.. He may not be ours but I wanted to keep the name."

She sighs and Sunggyu prepares his heart for what's about to come next.

"I loved you so much, Sunggyu. With all ny heart and I know you were aware of that. What we had was special. You will always hold a special place in my heart and I know, I can never unlove you," she a breathe.

"But I have a family now, with Woohyun. And I love my boys," she looks at him carefully and reaches to squeeze his hand. "I'm sorry, Sunggyu."

She sighs, closes the space between them and tiptoes to plant a soft kiss on his cheek. "I know you'll find someone better and you'll be happy with her," she smiles, turns around and with her hands in the pockets of her coat, face burried in her scarf, she slowly walks away.

And Sunggyu, for the second and last time, watches as his first love once again walks away from his life.