Final

Oh, how the stars shine brighter under your gaze

Yoongi doesn't know if he should be frightened or not when Seokjin suddenly ushers him into his car one evening, no explanations given. He doesn't remember the elder mentioning a new shop or restaurant he wanted to visit, but Yoongi guiltily admits he's zoned out during several of their conversations before, so he reassures himself that his boyfriend of two years isn't a serial killer and that Yoongi himself is just an .

 

Yet, when Seokjin silently drives further and further away from the city, Yoongi grows more and more wary. The time stretches between each building they pass by grows longer and longer and Yoongi has absolutely no idea where they are headed. His mind, in a panic, flicks back to every mean and insulting thing he's said to Seokjin recently.

 

"You know I was kidding about what I said about your food, right?" Yoongi blurts out, gripping the seatbelt. "It's delicious, really. Extremely flavorful."

 

Seokjin just laughs and Yoongi watches as the last of the buildings slowly fade into the background.

 

"Where are we going?" Yoongi asks hesitantly, glancing over at the sinking sun to his left. Seokjin looks over, smiling, and the dimming sunlight hits the back of his head, creating a golden halo.

 

Yoongi blanks out and mentally curses when he only catches the last of what Seokjin says.

 

"-but you'll like it, I promise." Seokjin turns back to the road and Yoongi sighs.

 

"How much longer, then?"

 

Seokjin hums, tapping the wheel with his fingers. "Thirty minutes? Just take a nap. I'll wake you when we're there."

 

He slumps in his seat. Taking out his phone, he connects it to the stereo, searching through his music until he finds the right song. The familiar orchestra intro starts up and Seokjin grins.

 

"Do you want me to sing you to sleep?" the elder teases.

 

"No," Yoongi grumbles, covering his head with his hood and burrowing further into his seat.

 

Seokjin starts singing anyway, his soft voice lilting with the melody of the song. Yoongi would die before he ever admits this, but Seokjin's voice soothes him in a way no other tune, no other sound or rhythm can.

 

Yoongi falls asleep to the sweet singing and gentle melody filling the otherwise silent car.

 

He's woken up a while later by a shake of his shoulder, and it's completely dark except for the small light above them in the car. Seokjin hovers over him, the driver's seat door already open, a smile on his face.

 

"We're here."

 

"And where is here, exactly?" Yoongi asks groggily, rubbing a hand over his face as Seokjin gets out of the car.

 

"Come out and see!" The car stays on, the headlights shining outward and illuminating Seokjin's lower half as he steps in front of the car.

 

Yoongi climbs out, his feet hitting unfamiliar ground. They're in a dark field, the only light coming from the car. The area is void of trees and Yoongi looks around, confused.

 

"You know I can't see in the dark, right?" He runs his hand along the side of the car, eyes on the beams of light on the grass. Seokjin comes over with a laugh, taking Yoongi's hand and pulling him into the middle of the plain.

 

"That's not the point of this. Look up."

 

Yoongi complies. Breath catching in his throat, eyes widening, Yoongi looks up in amazement. The stars twinkle under the lack of lights, their colors more prominent than Yoongi's ever seen. A distinct trail of stars and space dust runs from a bit to the left and over his head, dark blues and greens painting the sky. He breathes out, eyes fluttering as his gaze shifts over to Seokjin.

 

The elder smiles softly, rubbing the back of his neck. "Sorry this isn't as picturesque as you would have wanted. It's the best I could do without driving out to a desert or something." He tapers off with an awkward laugh, his hand moving to play with the hem of his sweater, catching Yoongi's stare.

 

Yoongi's grip tightens on Seokjin's hand, tugging him closer. His other hand comes up to rest on the elder's jaw, drawing him down until their noses brush against each other. Closing the gap between them, Yoongi kisses Seokjin, sighing at the familiar feel of Seokjin's lips on his. The elder's smile breaks the kiss but he leans in to press another quick peck onto the corner of Yoongi's mouth.

 

"I'm sorry I didn't bring your telescope too, but it's still beautiful, right?"

 

"Thank you," Yoongi says, glancing up. "There's no special occasion coming up; why'd you plan this?"

 

"Ah, I actually had this planned for your birthday, but once I got all the details down, I got too excited. I also saw that you were having a bit of trouble with your music and I thought this could spark your inspiration."

 

Yoongi doesn't answer, just looks at Seokjin with an awed expression. The elder laughs.

 

"I brought you out here to look at the stars but the only thing you've been looking at is me." Seokjin looks up, eyes flickering over the expanse of stars. "This is really beautiful. I can understand why you love astronomy so much."

 

"Staring at the Milky Way in person is said to bring indescribable emotions, a once-in-a-lifetime feeling." Yoongi raises his head to look at the sky, but turns back to look at Seokjin. "Do you feel it?"

 

Seokjin nods, glancing over and smiling when Yoongi's head whips up to watch the stars. "How do these stars make you feel, my eloquent lyricist Yoongi?"

 

He pauses before responding, biting his lip in contemplation. "I feel really small. This galaxy, let alone the entire universe, is so vast and expands over billions of light years, and we're just one small, little speck in it all. Makes you feel a bit insignificant, huh?" Yoongi breaks off with an empty laugh.

 

Seokjin swings their still entangled hands, humming before speaking. "I actually feel the opposite. We're special enough to be a part of this big ol' universe, part of this certain galaxy, this certain planet in the perfect position for complex life like us. It makes me feel like I'm a part of something much bigger."

 

Yoongi huffs out a breath of laughter in disbelief. "How are you so perfect?"

 

"A magician never reveals his secrets," Seokjin jokes, squeezing Yoongi's hand once.

 

They eventually move over to sit on the hood of Seokjin's car, shoulders pressed to one another. Seokjin rests his head on Yoongi's shoulder, sighing.

 

Yoongi nudges him, catching his attention. "Hey, do you see that red dot close to the moon?" He raises his right hand to point westward. "The one that isn't twinkling like the other stars."

 

Seokjin nods after a moment, his eyes focusing onto the same point.

 

"That's Mars."

 

Seokjin gasps, and if they weren't so close, Yoongi wouldn't have heard it. Yoongi grins, wrapping his left arm around Seokjin's.

 

"What about the other planets, Yoongi?"

 

Yoongi hums, searching meticulously in the sky before he points at another spot. "The white one, a bit off to the side of the moon. That's Venus."

 

"That's so cool," Seokjin praises, sitting up, and Yoongi can hear the muted excitement in his voice. "Anything else?"

 

"Well, there aren't any more planets for now. Jupiter will come out at maybe three in the morning in the east. But, there is that." Yoongi points to the northwest. "It's a bit fuzzy, not really twinkling like the other stars but bright enough to see now."

 

This time Seokjin takes longer to find the object, without another, more prominent object to reference back to. When he does find it, he squeezes Yoongi's hand. "What is it? What am I looking at?"

 

"It's another galaxy, named Andromeda. It's the closest galaxy to us."

 

"That's amazing." Seokjin looks over to Yoongi, a wide smile on his face. Yoongi can't see the other clearly, but he leans up to kiss him anyway, his lips pressing against jaw, cheek, and nose before finally finding Seokjin's mouth.

 

"Thank you for this amazing experience. I'm glad I got to spend my first time stargazing with you."