No Kisses For You

The Realm Of Possibility
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AU: Yerin kisses everyone but her. 

 

Joy is starting to think that she’s abnormal.

 

Which must be insane, because although she liked to think that she was absolutely one of a kind, she didn’t exactly liked to be labelled as something different from the norm, in a negative way. Let’s face it, abnormal is the synonym of weird and awkward. 

 

She has been feeling all sorts of emotions over the course of just three weeks that she can't help but think whether she's going insane. She has never experienced all these emotions at once that a part of her felt scared and confused. 

 

The reason why Joy was even feeling this way in the first place was because of a person. 

 

It was in the form of Jung Yerin. 

 

(x)

 

 

Joy cannot believe her luck.

 

“Jung Yerin,” Joy crossed her arms, her stance defiant. “You tricked me.” She glared at the other girl who seemed to be oblivious to her annoyance. 

 

Yerin was crouched down as she stared up at her with those damned eyes. “I did?”

 

Joy narrowed her eyes. “Yes, you did! You told me we were going to go out to get groceries but here we are, babysitting your niece!” 

 

They were supposed to get groceries because their food stock was really a saddening sight. They were only left with expired spaghetti sauce and a few crackers. They even finished their stock of instant ramen and ramen were essential to two broke college students’ life. But Yerin took ahold of her hand and dragged her to a 'pitstop', Yerin had said. Little did she know the pitstop was Yerin's stepsister's house. Yerin's stepsister just told them a few instructions to take care of her child before finally handing her four year old child, Umji to Yerin's arms and leaving the household for a work dinner.

 

Joy could only force a smile at the circumstances when really, she was about to blow off on Yerin. 

 

“Aw, c’mon, Sooyoungie.” Yerin squished Umji’s cheeks repeatedly, making the child giggle. "How could you say no to this face?” 

 

Joy was really about to go on another rant on how Yerin should never trick her unless she wanted to live but then she saw the pout on both Umji and Yerin and her heart just melted instantaneously. She was weak against cute little things that she just forgot about her annoyance towards the other girl.  

 

"Okay," Joy sighed in defeat. "But I better get my Pringles."

 

On the way to the grocery store, Yerin walked ahead with Umji holding her hand and Joy, who was walking behind, took pictures of the sight ahead. She squealed internally how Yerin and Umji looked so cute and a sudden thought came into her mind, Yerin would make such a good mommy.

 

She even briefly wondered how Yerin would be like as a wife but she quickly shook that thought away. That's weird. 

 

They continued walking like that for a few moments until Umji suddenly stopped, causing both Yerin and Joy to stop. "Umji? What's wrong?" Yerin asked, crouching down to the child's eye level. Umji just shook her head but held out her free hand to Joy to which Joy accepted the small hand.

 

"Aw, Sooyoung, Umji likes you." Yerin exclaimed excitedly. Joy felt her heart soar in happiness. They walked like that to the grocery store, with Umji in between Yerin and Joy, holding both of their hands. Once they reached the store, Joy carried Umji and placed her onto the child's seat of the trolley. 

 

Yerin pushed the trolley while making faces with Umji who only laughed and made even funnier faces to Yerin. Joy smiled at the interaction, Yerin was really good with kids. Joy was going through a shelf of cereals, wondering which cereal to get until an elderly woman came up to them.

 

"You two make a really cute couple," the elderly woman interrupted them, patting Umji's little head. "And your daughter is adorable too." She gave them a genuine smile, her eyes wrinkling at the side. 

 

Joy was about to correct her until Yerin wrapped an arm around her waist, tapping her sides to tell her to just go along. "Oh, thank you so much. That's really kind of you." Yerin smiled back, her body closer than ever to Joy's. Umji just giggled and clapped her tiny hands. 

 

"Oh, it's not a problem. I wish you three a wonderful day ahead of you." The woman bid her goodbye and waved. Umji waved back excitedly, her giggles ringing in the air. 

 

Joy turned to look at Yerin. "Why did you let her think we were a couple?" 

 

Yerin had an unreadable expression on her face. "Oh, you know. I didn't want to crush her hopes since she looked genuinely happy at seeing a young lesbian couple. Not a lot of people would be okay with it." 

 

The other girl had such a valid point that Joy couldn't help but agree.

 

Joy just shrugged and went about to get their groceries whereas Yerin went back to entertaining little Umji with her facial expressions. Soon enough, their cart was filled with all sorts of food from instant food to junk food. They took their groceries and headed their way back home.

 

Opening the door to her and Yerin's shared apartment, Joy ushered the two girls in and proceeded to unpack their groceries whereas Yerin plopped down on their couch with Umji on her lap. Yerin played peek-a-boo, blew raspberries and even showered Umji with kisses. 

 

It didn’t even register to Joy that she was burning holes with her intense stare from the kitchen. She didn’t even realise she was glaring at the smaller child, causing Umji’s eyes to water and wail in fear. But by the time she realised her mistake, it was already too late.

 

Yerin’s eyes widened. “Crap.” She rushed to soothe the child, gently humming a lullaby to stop Umji from crying. 

 

Joy just stared blankly at the duo, her mind somehow could not comprehend how and why she glared at a freaking child. 

 

(x)

 

Yerin had dragged her to see their friends that weekend.

 

Don’t get her wrong, she loved her friends. Really, she did but right now, all Joy wanted to do was just to spend a lazy afternoon in sweatpants at home, watching crappy reality shows and eating comfort food. All Joy wanted was time to herself, especially after a long ty week. 

 

But no, Yerin just had to make plans with their friends without her knowing. Of course, Yerin wouldn’t leave Joy out of her plans. They basically come in a package — you’d always see Yerin and Joy together as they were never apart. If you wanted to see Yerin, you had to see Joy too. And if you wanted to see Joy, you had to see Yerin too. They were inseparable. 

 

"Guys! Over here! Woohoo!" a husky voice bellowed as soon as they entered the cafe, Joy could only conclude that that was Sejeong. Sejeong was the type of friend who only lived in the moment and couldn't care less in regard to what other people think. 

 

Yerin was also one of them. "Sejeongie!!!!" Joy felt second-hand embarrassment from two of the most extra people she has ever met for causing such a scene in the cafe. They both hugged each other as if they haven't seen each other in a lifetime with Yerin exchanging kisses on the cheek with Sejeong, who looked thoroughly thrilled.

 

Joy only watched them, her stomach churning at the sight. 

 

"Easy there, green eyes." Joy turned to look at Hayoung, who wore an odd smile. "Give me a hug before you actually kill someone with that green monster of yours." Joy didn't comprehend what Hayoung uttered but she hugged Hayoung just the same. She truly missed the other girl, they haven't met in a while that Joy almost forgotten how Hayoung could read her like an open book.

 

The four girls took their seats, ordered their drinks and started to exchange news on what was going on in their lives. They found out that Hayoung got accepted as an intern at one of the most prestigious accounting firm and Sejeong who had recently signed a record contract as a songwriter at her dream entertainment company. 

 

"Oh god," Hayoung groaned in sudden realisation. "I'm surrounded by couples." She said it with almost a distaste. 

 

Joy furrowed her eyebrows. "Um, we're all single here."

 

"Excuse you," Hayoung looked almost offended. "I'm the only one single here. That one," she nodded to Sejeong who was busy typing away on her phone with a broad smile on her face. "Already has a girlfriend whom I bet is texting her right at this moment and then there's you guys, who practically act like an old married couple already." 

 

Yerin, who was sipping her drink moments before, accidentally choked on her drink. Joy rushed to get napkins and wiped away the stain on Yerin's chin with another hand gently rubbing her back. Once she made sure Yerin was okay, she turned around to face Hayoung again, who just had a I told you so expression written on her face. 

 

"You guys just proved my point." 

 

Ignoring the comment, Joy asked Sejeong. "You have a girlfriend?"

 

"What?!" Sejeong exclaimed incredulously, shaking her head. "No, no, no! I don't!"

 

Hayoung leaned over to see who Sejeong was texting. "Then who's y Chungha?"

 

Sejeong looked caught off guard, "Um...grandma."

 

All three girls threw unimpressed looks at Sejeong who was blushing at her mistake. "Really, Sejeong? It would have been believable if you said your roommate or something but your grandma? y? No thanks." Yerin berated, shivering as if imagining a mental image of Sejeong's grandma.

 

"Alright, alright. Chungha is my... really good friend."

 

"Hm.. with benefits?" Joy taunted.

 

Sejeong scratched her nape, embarrassment creeping up on her cheeks. "Uh yeah..?"

 

"OUR SEJEONGIE IS GETTING SOME!!!" Yerin screamed excitedly, catching the attention of other people in the cafe. "WOO!!!"

 

Hayoung looked terrified. "Sooyoung, control your girlfriend."

 

"She's not- Ah! Jung Yerin, stop it!" The said girl was waving her hands around like a mad woman, even doing a little dance on the spot. 

 

"Oh god." Sejeong face palmed, Yerin never ceased to amaze her with her hyperness.

 

Hayoung stood up. "Let's get out of here before they kick us out." 

 

(x)

 

After the catching up session they had yesterday with their friends, Yerin wanted to eat some real food and it just so happened that there was a new restaurant just three blocks away from their apartment

 

Yerin being herself, wanted to try out the new restaurant. Joy wasn’t much of a trier, she preferred staying safe and just go have dinner at their usual diner where the owner, Wendy, knew them as regulars. Joy almost felt like she was betraying Wendy for going to this new restaurant that was supposedly Wendy’s rival. If it weren’t for Yerin’s puppy eyes, Joy would have probably been eating at her favourite booth by the window in Wendy’s diner, chatting away with the owner with a grilled cheese in her hands. 

 

As soon as they entered the restaurant, Yerin already decided to be her extra self and make a scene. 

 

“My favourite couple of the all time!” Yerin squealed, gathering the attention of the patrons around them. Joy felt embarrassed on behalf of Yerin — since Yerin has no shame at all — and gave an apologetic smile to the onlookers. Yerin rushed to two girls, which Joy briefly recognised them as Eunha and Yuju, where they were seated at a corner booth. Joy had no choice but to follow the other girl.

 

“What a coincidence! I never thought we’d bump into each other like this.” Yerin jumped up and down, going to Yuju to hug her before giving her a kiss on the cheek to which Yuju just smiled and gave Yerin a kiss on the cheek of her own. 

 

Yuju then greeted Joy who merely waved politely. 

 

“Aww! Eunha, my baby!!” Yerin cooed, squishing Eunha’s cheeks. “You cutie! Come here!” She then smacked a big kiss on Eunha’s cheeks which caused the younger girl to shook her head vigorously and close her eyes in almost disgust. 

 

“Blergh,” Eunha wiped the kiss away from her cheeks. “Why do you even like to kiss people? It can be counted as an personal offence, you know.”

 

“I don’t kiss just anyone,” Yerin pointed out. “I only kiss my favourite people.”

 

“Can’t you start hating me, unnie? I don’t want kisses from you anymore,” Eunha crossed her arms, chin high up as she glared at Yerin. 

 

Yerin stared in amusement. “You know that just makes me want to kiss you even more.”

 

“….Never mind, then.”

 

“Why don’t you guys just join us?” Yuju suggested, an arm snaking around Eunha’s waist. “We can catch up while we eat.” 

 

Yerin turned to look for approval from Joy, to which the other just meekly smiled, signifying that she didn’t mind joining the other two. Yerin then took Joy’s hand, ushered her in into the other side of the booth before sitting down next to her.

 

After ordering — or more like, Yerin ordering and Joy just agreeing — the four girls were absorbed in a conversation. 

 

“So, Joy, how’s living with a menace?” Eunha asked cheekily, earning a groan and a “Hey!” from Yerin herself. “I mean, I don’t have first-hand experience living with a devil.”

 

Joy broke out into a smile, laughing lightly at Eunha. She turned to look at Yerin who had her face in her palm and was already looking at her, expectation in her eyes. It was then that Joy realised that she was still holding hands with Yerin, with Yerin drawing circles on her hand. 

 

Joy smirked. "It would have been better if it weren't for Yerin's snores late at night."

 

"Park Sooyoung!" Yerin screeched, flabbergasted that Joy would reveal her sleeping habits to Yuju and especially Eunha, who could do so much with that information. 

 

Joy laughed at Yerin who's simultaneously pouting and glaring at her. She winked and drew circles on Yerin's hand, a silent apology in her gesture.  

 

At the peripheral of her eyes, she could see Yuju and Eunha looking and smirking at each other. She wondered what that was about, it was probably a couple thing where they could read each other's minds but Yerin was looking at her like she was torn between killing her and hugging her. 

 

Yuju cleared . "So, dessert?"

 

(x)

 

Dinner went fairly well, in Yerin's mind. She got to meet and catch up with her favourite couple, Yuju and Eunha and she got to spend a night with Joy as well. It was a good night overall for Yerin but she wasn't so sure about Joy. 

 

After bidding their goodbyes to both Yuju and Eunha, the pair were on the way back to their apartment. There was a tense awkward silence in the atmosphere as Yerin could sense that something was wrong considering that Joy was quiet ever since leaving the restaurant. Yerin even noticed that while Joy was eating and conversing with Yuju, her smile didn’t exactly meet her eye. It was almost as if her smile dimmed a bit, and that saddened Yerin. Yerin didn’t bring up the topic there and then, figuring that it would been better if she talked to Joy in private and try to figure out what caused her to be so upset. 

 

Whereas, Joy was too preoccupied with her thoughts as she walked side by side with Yerin. Her mind was clouded with the thoughts of Yerin and her. Were they really best friends? They've known each other since young, of course they're best friends....right? Shouldn’t she be one of Yerin’s favourite people, if not the most favoured? She couldn’t really comprehend why her mind was too focused on the comment Yerin made. 

 

I don’t kiss just anyone. I only kiss my favourite people.

 

Those words

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter