그녀가 헤어졌다

One for me

The young man clad in light blue T-shirt and pajama pants let out a sigh, streching out and being immediately cut off by a small yawn as he made his way to get a glass of water, before turning the light in the small kitchen offso that he can go to bed for a well deserved sleep, after the physically and emotionally exhausting day the man had. He then sighed again, remembering the events of the day as he started walking towards his room, before he stopped in his tracks by the ringing of his phone. He turned back towards the small coffee table where he last left the mentioned device and as he picked it up and saw the caller ID a small, bittersweet smile graced his features. He then took a deep breath before sliding his finger over the green answer button.
"Yoboseyo hyung." The boy greeted "How was the da-" His question was cut off by a heart wrenching sob that broke his laready bruised heart "Hyung...what...?"
"T-Taemin-ah?" The other person on the line started with a hitch in his voice. "Are you home?"
"Yeah I am. What's wrong Kibum?" The young man, Taemin asked, worry coating his voice
"I-I...C-Can I come over? I k-know it's kinda l-late but...."
"Of course you can hyung, you know you are always welcome here."  Taemin then tried to comfort the other man, at least a bit.
"Gomawo Taemin-ah" As soon as those words were said, the line went dead.
Taemin sighed as he bit his lip in worry for his anguished-sounding friend as he put his phone down and strode towards the kitchen again, turning on the light in the process to go on making two cups of hot chocolate.
As soon as he finished the hot beverages and brought them down on the forementioned coffee table in the living room, he turned his head at a sound of a passcode being entered and the click that followed, which indicated the arrival of the man known as Taemin's friend.
Taemin's worry increased as he really took in his friend's expression. That painful sob over the phone was nothing comapred to the disheveled and broken appearance that took the form of his friend, which was worrisome because the broken man would never, ever let himself look disheveled if he could help it.
"Hyung...." The small hesitant whisper was all it took for the slightly older man by the door to let out another sob and make a beeline for the couch where the concerned man was sitting.
Taemin bit his lip as he opened his arms in invitation, an invitation that was accepted in a blink as the othe man, Kibum, snuggled in his friend's arms and buried his head in the other's neck, letting the tears flow free, knowing that the younger would never hold it against him.
Taemin sighed mentally, he seemed to be doing that a lot today, as he cursed the reason why one of the strongest people he knew was now having a breakdown, whatever that reason was. Although he had a pretty good idea about what had happened and who was to blame, he still didn't say anything and instead just rubbed calming circles on his hyung's back, letting him know, albeit silently, that he would always be here for the older.
This lasted for few minutes before Kibum sniffled and pulled away from his friend "Mianhae...I ruined your shirt"
Taemin just rolled his eyes mentally, another thing he had a feeling he would do a lot tonight. Trust the fashionista to worry about such things as clothes even at a time like this.
"It's not important hyung, it's just a silly shirt"
Kibum just sniffed and it was then that he noticed the two cups of hot chocolate on the table and although he doubted that they would be that hot now, he never the less reached out and took one of the cups while noticing with a pleasent surprise that it was the cup he once mentioned that he liked best one day as a passing remark, but he never expected the younger to remember that and seeing that he did, made the sad man cheer up a tiny bit.
Either way as he took the cup he turned his head towards the other man and gave him a nod and a small weak smile "Gomawo" he mutteres as he took a small sip of the drink.
Taemin just stayed silent, watching his hyung carefully as if afraid that he would break down again.
His friend held the stare for a few seconds before turning away and taking another sip as he mumbled quietly "Aren't you going to ask me what happened? I can tell that you want to know."
"Yes you are right, I am curious and I have my soubts and theories but I'm not going to pressure you into anything Kibum. This is about you. And when you feel like you are ready and want to tell me, you will. Even if you don't want to tell me it's alright, that's your decision and I wont hold it against you...I just want you to know that I am here for you whenever you need me and I ill try to do what you need, even if it is me offering slient comfort like this"
Kibum gasped in shock as the younger man started speaking and then turned to look at him with wide eyes that softened as soon as his friend finished talking. The slightly older man felt really touched after that, that the only thing he could utter afterwards was a gentle whisper of the younger's name in slight awe before the silence arouse again.
Taemin used this newborn silence to take his won forgotten cup of chocolate as to have something to occupy him as he waited for his friend's decision because what Taemin said in his little monologue was the plain truth. This was about Kibum and if he was only in the need of Taemin's company then that is what Taemin would give him, no questions asked.
After few more minutes of silence Kibum let out a resigned sigh, getting himself mentally ready for the explanation that he felt his friend deserved and plus he also felt that telling someone what happened would make him feel better, and who better to tell than the person sitting next to him?
"...I got dumped" He finally uttered as he took another moutful of the drink his friend was considerate enough to make.
Hearing that 3-worded sentence made the younger man's blood boil, but knowing that showing his anger will make his hyung hesitate in continuing, he just tightened his grip on the cup trying not to show how affected he was. But even if he did it wouldnt matter because Kibum was refusing to face him, knowing that he would probably lose his nerve if he did.
"The funny part is though" Kibum then continued "That wasn't really the reason for my breakdown" he then leat out a bittersweet smile."What truly got to me were his reasoning of why he was dumping me...and his words."
Taemin clenched his teeth trying hard to compose himself before asking "What did he tell you hyung?" although he wasn't really sure that he would like the answer, he still needed to know.
"I..." the older man started again, letting out another sniff which made the person next to him close his eyes tight, his heart breaking all the more to see his strong hyung breaking cause of a bastard.
His friend took a deep breath as he got himself ready to repeat those awful hurtful words.
"H-He said that I was too difficult, hard to handle, that I always act like I am the best, like a bratty child. He told me that he got interested in me because of my pretty and u-unique features but now t-that he actually g-got to know me and see the r-real me he realized that he wasted precious time on me and that he regretted ever meeting me. He said he f-f-feels sorry for the next person w-who I will t-trap with my p-pretty face."
Kibum finally managed to finish as he put his cup down on the table to free his hands so that he could wipe the fresh tears that appeared on his already tear-stained face, unaware of the turmoil that was going in his friend's head.
The first birst of anger that the younger felt was a small match compared to the burning flame of anger that he felt after hearing the whole report of what had reallt went down. But before he could open his mouth and start cursing the bastard to hell, his friend continued with a small glance his way.
"Go ahead tell me 'I told you so' " he mumbled letting out a soft sigh in resignation.
Although it was true that Taemin didn't trust the man from the very beginning back when Kibum introduced them, although that might have been due the fact that the younger didn't turst anyone with his hyung's beautiful heart, not really, he still wasnt about to rub it in his hyung's face and he told him this much.
"I wont do that hyung, not when you are suffering. Besides I was actually hoping that this time I would be wrong...I am very sorry that I ended up being right for this too. I really would rather be wrong and have you never let me live it down, than to have to watch you suffer like this over some bastard who thinks he is all that, when in reality he is nothing but a small ant, lost in the sands of this beautiful world!"
His hyung glancet at Taemin before looking away and sighing dejectedly
"Maybe I should just give up on dating altogehter. Nothing seems to work anyway, maybe I am just not cut out for anyone"
At those words the younger of the two gulped and felt his heart speed up in slight fear as he hurried to try and change his hyung's mind, because if his hyung gave up on love it would be bad.
"Don't say that! Just because some couldn't see the remarkable person that you are doesn't mean that you should give up on dating and love hyung! Moreover you shouldn't believe anything that monster told you because none of it is true! It just shows that he has no idea what he is talking about and that he is an insignificant idiot. Believe me in this, you deserve someone much better than that" Taemin then finished hoping that this would make Kibum see that giving up wasn't the answer. But when he looked at the other, he was met by a blank stare and a peculiar look in his hyung's eyes that he couldn't really place or understand.
"What kind of person do I deserve then?" Kibum asked, his expression not changing and his eyes still on his younger friend.
At that question Taemin took a deep breath, getting ready for what he was about to say, knowing that everything that would come from his mouth would also come from the deepest depths of his heart, which he didn't really give easily to others and that was probably why some people thought him to be cold not that it mattered much to Taemin what people thought. The ones who were worth it would try to get to know him, and the ones who didnt, well...they didnt even matter.
"You deserve someone who knows you, the real you. Someone who accepts you for who you are with all your good and bad traits. Someone who is willing to get to know the real you without judging and someone loyal who will never break your trust, who can't even bear the thought of betraying you but who wont hesitate to kick you or scold you when you are wrong or about to make a stupid decision, lord knows you have a lot of those... but who when it really matters will stand and take your side no questions asked. A person who remembers every little thing about you, who knows what you need without you saying anything only because they pay attention to your every word, mood and action. Someone who will remember even small things about you, things that you didn't even remember saying or doing. Someone who would never ask or need you to explain yourself because they know that you would never intentionally do something bad or hurt someone else, and that even if you do you will immediately feel bad, no matter if the person deserved it or not, and that it will eat you up inside with guilt and that you will apologize instantly. You deserve a person who will love you unconditionally and would do everything for you, even at the expanse of getting hurt themselves in the process, as long as you are happy they would be happy too, because seeing you sad would break their hearts more than anything, cause for them you would be the best thing that has ever happened to them and they would cherish you forever."
Taemin finally finished, never before in his life having spoken as much as he did right then and never ever meant something as much as he did now. As soon as he finished his monologue though, he replayed the whole thing in his head and he suddenly froze, realizing that his words sounded like a solid confession of his feelings. And although he came to terms with his feelings for his amazing older friend he still hadn't planned on telling him any time soon...and this was definitely the worst possible time to confess seeing as his hyung just got dumped. He also refused looking at Kibum fearing the reaction he would find in the older's face.
"I-I'm going to go wash my cup" he hurried to say and escape despite having barely finished half of the contents in his cup.
As soon as he went to get up though, a warm hand stopped him by enclosing his wrist.
"Taemin-ah...correct me if I am wrong, bu-but i-it kinda felt like y-you were talking about yourself..."
The older male then waited for the younger to say something but when he was met with silence he continued.
"...because everything you just listed in that speech fit with everything you did and the way you act when you are with me..."
The younger boy gulped but otherwise stayed silent not daring to turn around and face Kibum...and yet he didnt want to be harsh and pull his wrist away. Taemin was feeling very conflicted, on one hand he wanted the earth to open up and swallow him, but on the other hand he really did'nt want to leave Kibum alone since he came to Taemin for comfort. He was also gripped with fear of what his friend will say because he didn't want to lose the older. He'd rather have them be friends and suffer with his growing feelings on his own, than lose Kibum. Losing him would be like someone stabbed a knife right through his heart, and he didn't think he could really handle it if he lost him, so that's why he stayed rooted to the spot.
Seeing that Taemin wouldn't talk or face him anything soon, Kibum let out a soft sigh and decided to go for a slightly different approach.
"Taeminnie, I won't be mad, nor will I suddenly leave you and stop being your friend, just....I need and want to know, so please tell me. Please Taemin-ah"
Kibum knew that pleading the younger will always work and while normally he didn't want to and wouldn't use that against his friend, he really needed to hear the answer this time on this particular topic so he didn't feel that bad for doing it.
Just like how his hyung knew of his weakness, the younger was also aware of it, so hearing that word is what finally made him yield as his shoulder sacked in resignation as he bent and put his unfinished cup of chocolate back on the table before slowly, hesitantly turning to face his friend. He then took a deep breath to compose himself before replying
"The reason it probably sounded the way it did was because I was speaking from my heart, as cliche as that sound"
It didn't pass Kibum's notice that although Taemin answered, he still avoided answering what Kibum really implied with his question and he knew for a fact that the younger boy didnt miss the implication. Not only cause he knew Taemin well and that the boy was smarter than he let on but also cause of the small fear in his eyes and the calculated way in which he uttered his answer.
"Taemin-ah..."
The small utter of his name was what finally broke the other male as he sighed and plopped down back on the couch not looking at the man next to him
"Ok fine Kibum, what do you want me to say? Huh? That I couldn't control myself and ended up telling you something I never meant for you to know? That even though I didn't mean to tell you, I still meant every word of it? That I was indeed unintnentionally describing myself? That I am the worst friend ever for chosing this situation to accidently say what i feel? That I like you, that I am a selfish bastard who can't help but secretly feel somewhat happy now that you are single again? That I would never, ever want to see you get hurt and yetat the same time I am a big liar because I never liked seeing you with someone else, because it killed me to see you with someone that wasn't me?! That despite that your friendship means everything to me and that it should be enough, I'm still a jerk that wants more? That I realize that all of this will make me lose your friendship but yet I still can't help nor stop they way i feel? That I'd rather keep my feelings to myself than confess them and lose you?"
Taemin sighed the last sentence draining all of the energy he had, before forcing himself to finish
"There you go hyung...was that really what you wanted to hear?"
Kibum stayed silent for a long while trying to process everything his friend just hit him with, and that silence made the younger fear and brace himself for the worst.
The silence lasted for few more seconds before the older said something that shocked the younger.
"I wish you had told me sooner"
At those calm words, Taemin jumped and turned to look at the other male "W-What?"
"You know, I think we had both been idiots Tae" His hyung said, confusing Taemin even more
"Wh-What do you mean?"
His hyung smiled a bit before starting
"I told you, had you told me sooner I wouldn't have had to go out with other people to try and forget the person who i thought I could never feel the same way. I'd never have to tell myself to stop comparing my dates to the person I could never have, because they would never even come close to that said person. Because that person is an amazing human being who is so selfless that at times it worries me. They are so beautiful on the outside as they are on the inside. They are the kind of person that everyone should have in their life and yet it makes me glad that that person doesn't trust easily because that means that I am kinda special to have a place in their heart and also I don't like sharing and I especially dont waht to share this particular person with other people. That person is kind and warm-hearted type of person who can cheer me up just by their presence and just by being near. That amazing person is someone who would never judge you and who would let you be yourself without the fear of rejection. Someone who no one can beat, a person who is irreplacable, a person whom I've been in love with for the longest time but I've been to afraid of losing him to ever act on my feelings. A person who goes by the name od Lee Taemin, my best friend, my constant pillar in life...actually the only constant thing in my life who never changes no matter what, and who has always been there. And if he would give me permission I would like to spend the rest of our time together making up for all those times that we were both stupid enough to let them pass us by."
The older male finally finished with a soft smile that was matching the soft look with which he was gazing at his best friend. His friend who still had a difficult time wrapping his head around all the things that were happening too fast and too sudden for his brain to handle.
"K-Kibum...this...you...I...what?" Taemin mumbled apparently losing his ability to talk along with his ability to think...although both things mostly went together so maybe it wasn't such a surprise really.
His hyung chuckled at the incoherent mutterings before taking both of Taemin's hands in his and getting serious but the soft look was still apparent in his eyes
"Saranghaeyo Lee Taemin. I have for a very long time. I am sorry that I didn't see that the feelings were reciprocated or else I wouldn't have made us both suffer for as long as we did. But if it's not too late I would like to give us a chance, if you are willing to accept me."
The youger boy blinked once, twice before hesitantly asking "B-But hyung y-you just got out of  re-relationship, are you su-sure that th-this is-"
The older cut him off
"I was never happy to begin with. Like I said I went on dates to try and forget you though they never worked because I compared everyone with you and surprise, surprise not even one came close to you. I came to you today not because I was hurt by being dumped, I was hurt by the reasoning behind the 'why' question since it made me feel not worthy of you as well. So if you are afraid that this will be too fast after I got out of an one-sided relationship in a way, dont be. I have waited more than enough and trying to forget you never did work, so as evil as this will sound...none of the others mattered. I didn't love them, not even one of them, because the person that I love has always been and always will be you. So Lee Taemin, will you make me the happiest man alive and start a deeper relationship with me? I think we have both waited more than enough."
The slightly younger man blinked once more in mute shock before tugging his hands out of Kibum's grip, only to throw them around the older's neck in a strong hug that knocked the both of them backwards on the couch with the still somewhat disbelieving man landing on top of his hyung. It was probably a good idea that both of their cups were resting on the table or else it would have been a mess, not that the men would have really cared for that.
"Yes! Oh my god hyung, yes! I never even imagined that this could happen!"
Kibum smiled yet again as he wrapped his own arms around the younger boy on top of him making the said boy snuggle more comfortably on his chest as Kibum pressed a kiss on Taemin's head
"I know and I am sorry for that Taemin-ah, I really am..."
This time it was the younger who cut in.
"Don't be hyung, this right here, right now, this is perfect. You are perfect hyung. I am glad this night ended up the way it did...Saranghae Kim Kibum."
Kibum was kinda getting scared that his jaw would fall off from smiling so big, which was a big, enormous change from his previous mood, but at the moment he could care less because he was more content and happy that he could ever remember and that is what mattered.
"Nado~ Lee Taemin nado saranghae."
The younger looked up, shyly smiling up at his hyung before leaning in an equally shy manner to press a small kiss on the other's lips before mumbling "Stay the night?"
The older let out a soft smile at the small peck before diving in to capture Taemin's lips again in a slightly longer kiss, before pulling away and tightening his hold on the younger's waist as he answered with a content smile and a content sigh.
"Of course. There is nowhere else I would rather be than here with you Taemin."