ISSUE #1

conditionals

They meet like this:

 

She’s hot and sweaty and about to abandon the damn cat she’s supposed be cat sitting when he shows up in all his spandex clad glory.

 

She blinks. Waits for a long moment to see if there’s any reason why he’s stopped here staring at her with this dumb expression on his face—well, more accurately, the lower half of his face that's not covered by the dark mask he's wearing. Her eyes linger on his exposed jawline. He looks vaguely familiar, she thinks distantly but then again, her memory has never been particularly great.

 

“Do you need anything?” Seulgi questions as politely as she can manage when he doesn’t say a word. It comes out at passive-aggressive at best but at this point, she just doesn’t care anymore given how ty her day has been.

 

“I think the better question,” he responds slowly, “is if you need anything.” There’s a pause where she’s just trying to assess the situation and he’s watching her with intense eyes before he cracks a smile and she just grows more confused. “Am I doing this superhero thing right?”

 

“Oh,” Seulgi just says. She’ll berate herself later for not noticing the signs (honestly, the costume should have been a dead give away) but right now, she just wants to crawl into her bed and stay there forever. “Um, can you rescue this cat?”

 

She points up at the tree they’re standing under and if he cranes his neck, he can spot grey fur near the trunk of the tree.

 

He chews his lip. Most of the branches are on the upper half of the tree and the cat is pretty high up. “My superpower is fire,” he says hesitantly, “and I’ve never been that great at climbing trees.”

 

Seulgi frowns. “So you can’t save him?”

 

He looks mildly concerned about the lack of worry in her voice as she glares at the cat now openly perched on the branch staring back at them. It’s not her fault Sehun doesn’t listen to anyone except for his owner, Junmyeon, and for some reason, Seulgi’s neighbor, Boa. Despite his cuddly appearance, he cat is literally a nightmare to take care of. Junmyeon’s lucky Seulgi owed him a favor because otherwise, nobody would take care of the damn cat during his long business trips.

 

“I don’t think burning down a tree to save a cat would be a good idea,” the guy says. “Maybe just call the fire department?”

 

She stares at him. What kind of a superhero is he? “Sehun’s not worth that much effort,” Seulgi eventually says. The cat hisses, as if in disagreement. She raises her voice, “Whatever. Just know that you’re not getting fed if you don’t get down.” She steps back from the tree and glances over at the guy, who flushes when their eyes meet. “Thanks,” she says even though she’s not exactly sure what she’s thanking him for.

 

“Ah, no problem,” he replies, looking equally as lost.

 

“I’ll see you later,” Seulgi tells him and then quickly adds, “on T.V. or something. Try not to die.”

 

She’s exhausted and figures that he has better things to do too so she heads back into her house—mindful to keep the door ajar— without a further word.

 

The guy stands there, wistful expression on his face, for a few more moments, long enough to see the cat peer at the ground and jump down gracefully with a disgruntled expression.

 

He crouches down, hesitantly reaching out before dropping his hand when Sehun stares blankly at it. “Why'd you have to give Seulgi a hard time?” he asks. Sehun meows, ignoring him to walk up to a man who had snuck up behind him.

 

“Come on Jimin,” the guy says, eyeing Sehun warily. “We’re not going to be able to improve our reputation if you decide to talk to cats all day.”

 

Jimin huffs even as he gets up to his feet. He knows that arguing against Yoongi would be futile anyways. “I know,” he says petulantly, frowning when it seems a little colder, when it seems like the slight wind has a bite to it. He shifts away mindfully and grins at Yoongi. “Let's go save the world then,” he says dramatically and casts one more glance over at Seulgi’s house before following Yoongi.

 

He has a feeling this won't be the last time he sees her.

 

(And it’s not.)

 

 


a u t h o r ' s  n o t e 

i've decided that the chapters will be short (< 100 words, usually around 500-700 probably) because i can't seem to write long stories no matter how hard i try T_T sorry for any errors! i probably won't be editing any of this rip