Art Block

My Hometown

After countless hours of brooding inside the quiet art studio, Wheein was certain she finally had an idea to work with. She dipped her wet paintbrush in the paint palette, the wood stained with countless hues used before. She lifted her brush over the canvas and left a blue streak in her wake. She hummed, rubbing her chin as she admired her work. A second passed. “Ugh!” The palette and brush slipped from her grasp, landing on the side where all the paint was contained. “Why is this so hard?”

Wheein usually never had a slump when it came to art. If anything, the closest thing she had to a problem was not knowing what to draw first when she was b with creativity. But right now she was drawing a blank.

“I knew I’d find you here.”

Wheein turned in her seat when she heard the familiar voice. Her roommate's brown hair was curled perfectly and she wore a burgundy overcoat that complimented her figure. She looked wellkept, unlike Wheein whose hair was in a messy bun and dressed in the same overalls she always wore when she was going to the studio.  

“Myung-Hee,” Wheein said. “What are you doing here?”

“I should be asking you the same thing.” Myung-Hee grabbed a chair and dragged it across the room to sit next to Wheein. “Shouldn’t you be getting ready for winter break like everyone else?”

Wheein shrugged. “I wanted to get a head start on the project Mr.Choi gave us.”

Myung-Hee glanced at the blue line in the otherwise empty canvas. “I didn’t take you as the type to make abstract art.”

Wheein groaned, leaning her head back against her seat. “I wish. I’m suffering a case of art block right now.”

Myung-Hee gasped and covered with one hand, eliciting Wheein to roll her eyes. “The amazing Jung Wheein, with a reputation of being an overachiever, is dealing with art block? I might as well quit art school now if even she’s struggling.”

    The blonde laughed, smacking her friend’s shoulder. “Shut up! I’m really having a hard time with this assignment.”

     Myung-Hee scoffed. “It’s too early to be stressing over it. You’ll have plenty of time to think about what to paint when you’re back home.”

    Wheein stretched her arms and yawned, staring at her ‘progress.’ “I don’t think I’m going to Jeonju." Wheein tried to play it cool, hoping her friend wouldn’t ask why, but of course that didn’t happen.

    “What do you mean you’re not going home?” Myung-Hee asked, her eyes wide. “Do you plan on spending the Lunar New Year alone in our dorm?”

Wheein flinched, short lived but enough for Myung-Hee to notice. “If I get lonely I can just call you and my parents, I’ll be fine.”

Myung-Hee crossed her arms.”Are you fighting with your mom or something?”

“Of course not!”

“Well why then?” Myung-Hee frowned. “I don’t see any reason why you would want to stay here.”

Wheein stared down at her feet, not wanting to answer. I don’t want to remember.

“Remember what?”

Wheein jerked her head, making eye contact with her dormmate. “Huh?”

“You said you ‘don’t want to remember.’ Would you mind telling me what that is?”

Wheein bit her bottom lip to prevent from screaming. She couldn’t believe she said that out loud. “It’s nothing.”

Myung-Hee scanned Wheein’s face, sighing when she realized Wheein wasn’t going to open up. “Fine.”

Wheein gulped. Myung-Hee was slouching with her chin propped on her hand, a sign Wheein knew that meant her friend was either angry or lost in thought. Wheein wondered if there was a way to make the atmosphere not so tense.

“I have an idea,” Myung-Hee said suddenly. She sat up straight and turned her head to face the other girl. “Why don’t you go to Bucheon with me then?”

Wheein raised an eyebrow. “You want me to go to your hometown for the holidays? Won’t your parents mind?”

    Myung-Hee shook her head. “There’s no harm done if I was introducing them to someone I plan to marry.”

    Wheein blinked. She opened to say something, but whatever she had in mind went in one ear and out the other when she saw Myung-Hee’s serious expression. “W-what?” came out instead.

    Myung-Hee smiled. Before Wheein could react however, Myung-Hee’s lip started to quiver and began laughing. The latter felt a blush slowly creep up her ears and neck.

    “Oh my god, you jerk!” Wheein smacked Myung-Hee repeatedly in the shoulder. “I thought you were serious!”

    The brunette poorly defended herself, one hand raised to block Wheein’s fists while the other clutched at her cramping stomach. “Y-you should’ve seen your face!” Myung-Hee wheezed.

Wheein stopped her onslaught, the blush refusing to leave her face. She sank in her chair, pouting and wanting to die.

“I swear, you’re so cute sometimes.” Myung-Hee poked at Wheein’s dimple, but stood up from her seat before her friend could slap her hand. “I should finish packing. Not everyone is planning to stay in college like some nerd.”

Wheein stuck out her tongue, watching Myung-Hee saunter away. Myung-Hee opened the door, but paused to look over her shoulder. “Whatever is holding you back from going home, you should reconsider.” She pointed across the room, Wheein following her line of sight until she spotted the unfinished painting.

“I think you’ll have a better time finding inspiration if you travel rather than stay cooped up here the entire break.” Myung-Hee glanced down, staring at Wheein’s back. “I’ll see you later Wheein. Don’t forget to text me.” And with that, Myung-Hee closed the door and Wheein was alone in the studio once again.

Wheein sighed. Myung-Hee was right, for once. Even if Wheein didn’t want to return to Jeonju, a change of scenery was her best chance in gathering ideas for her project. “Alright,” she murmured.

She stood up to put her stuff away, but slipped in her abandoned palette and fell to the floor. Wheein groaned, rubbing the back of her aching head. She sat up, gasping when she saw her canvas. Not only was the blue line gone, but it was replaced with a gigantic hole. She must have kicked it during her fall. “Aw man,” she whined. “That was brand new.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hyejin peered through the window, the trees and buildings zooming by as the train moved smoothly. Her lap vibrated and she looked down to see that Byulyi texted her. She opened the message, groaning when she saw a picture of Yongsun sleeping with Byulyi asking “Isn’t she cute?”

She is but I do not care, Hyejin texted back. She just put down her phone when the phone rumbled.

How about this? This picture of Yongsun was less flattering, mid-yawn and nostrils flared.

Hyejin covered , struggling to hold back her laughter and causing a scene in the silent but very public train. That’s her contact photo now. It’s beautiful.

LOL… By the way Hyejin, are you sure you’re fine with us not going together?

Hyejin smirked, amused with how her member was still worrying about her. I think I’ll be okay. It’ll be a break from you and Yongsun’s constant flirting.

Hyejin set her phone down, ignoring the sudden influx of messages she knew was filled with Byulyi’s embarrassment from being called out. She brought her attention back to the window. She wondered what she would do in Jeonju when she arrived and who would be with her. She hoped her friend would be back home, but immediately erased that thought. Ever since Hyejin debuted, she hadn’t heard or received a text from them. She frowned, cursing when she realized she was moping over the past again.
 
She put on her headphones, hoping to block out her thoughts with the loud music.