Oneshot

Wait...What?

 

WAIT...WHAT?!


Jungkook was never the type to recognize tacky romance. Sure, there were probably hundreds of girls in his school who admit their supposedly love to him all the time and sure, he has watched some cheesy romantic movies with his hyungs as a way to kill time before but still, romance? That was way out of his vocabulary as someone considered an impenetrable manly man by his peers. It is a shock even to him, then, as to how he got himself caught up in this situation with minimal to possibly no way out.

“Are you-”

“Shhhh!”

A finger immediately went up to shut his lips even before he got to finish what he wanted to say. Mentally sighing, he pitied himself for being treated this way- for being wrapped around her finger. “I wasn’t even done-”

“I said hush,” It came out more of a whisper rather than a scream but it was enough to enable Jungkook to tense up and submit unknowingly. He really isn’t sure how he got trapped into doing this. The level of awkwardness was enough to make up for all those times he felt completely unashamed of doing even the stupidest things with his hyungs may it be in public or away from prying eyes. What exactly is he doing? Well, imagine a scene where he, a boy who could not even touch a girl’s pinky finger, is holding hands firmly with a cute girl while holding eye contact for more than five minutes. For Jungkook it may seem unusual and almost life-threatening considering his social problem concerning girls but that, dear friends, is not entirely the case here. It’s something way more…lethal, if he may say so.

“Oh, c’mon! Wrap your arms around me tighter,” his partner hissed at him as he arranged himself in a better position making sure to satisfy the person beside him. He was pretty sure he had the upper hand before whenever they were together. It’s confusing to him, then, as to how the tables turned in a snap.

“I really don’t get why I’m doing this.”

“You don’t have to. Just play along.”

“That’s easy for you to say,” He grumbled all the while wrapping his arms tighter to the figure who seems to be clinging to him like a sloth stuck to a tree branch and unfortunately for him, he had to play that role of being a tree’s woody limb. “You’re clearly used to this kind of things,” he added.

“Excuse me?!”

“You are excused.” He smirked a little at the teasing he just made, satisfied that at least he was able to enjoy himself even just a bit. Heck, he was Jeon Jungkook. He can’t just be wasting his time without having his fun even just on his own.

“Don’t get cocky with me now, Mr. Jeon Jungkook.”

Seeing the opportunity, Jungkook decided to test his luck and stuck a finger to his partner’s lips, imitating the actions he recieved a while ago. “Hush, babe. Don’t want to get caught now, do we?” He threw a mischievous smile coupled with a soft chuckle at his own amusement in the overturned situation. He might as well make the most out of the moment considering his helplessness to get the hell out of this circumstance. If he get lucky, she might even consider dropping the act.

“Are you mocking me?”

“No? AH!”

A punch made contact with his forearm even before he can go on with another teasing he had in mind. For a girl with a frame like hers, she clearly has a lot of power hidden beneath those slender arms. The girl could throw a punch like hell and she wasn’t even trying that hard bearing in mind that they need to remain unnoticed.

“What was that for?” he hissed at her as he rubbed the sore spot with his other hand. It was surely going to leave a bruise at his precious skin.

“I don’t know. You decide.”

The boy could only roll his eyes at the contradiction of how she was pissed at him for his attempt at being playful with her and of how she cuddled herself closer to his chest as she positioned his left arm to hold her tighter as if how he was holding her before wasn’t enough.

“You’re weird,” he commented which earned him a glare. “Are you going through that time of the month now?”

“Don’t make me punch you one more time, Jeon Jungkook. I swear I would do it in a way that would knock the living hell out of you.”

“And expose this cover we’re in? Oh, be my guest.”

She looked up to meet his impish expression before pouting in a way that caught him off-guard. Since when did this girl become this cute? He thought as he struggled to maintain his composure so as not to give himself away. For the past years that he’s been with her, he has never viewed her as cute let alone as a girl. So, why now? Shaking away the thoughts, Jungkook tried to erase the suspicions he had for himself.

“Would you please just shut up for a minute?” she pleaded which came out more of a demand rather than a plea.

“You have to kiss me first.”

O.O

Wait.

What?

They looked at each other both with eyes so wide that you could probably compare it to the size of a basketball as of now.

“What…what did you…you just say?” she stuttered as she pushed him back and scurried away from his hold in a matter of seconds completely shocked at the sudden choice of words by the male who seemed to be also shaken at what just came out of his lips. It was so sudden that he swore he hasn’t processed the proper meaning behind the statement himself.

“What…what did I just say?” He asked back also bewildered at the boldness he just presented. That came out of nowhere. He wasn’t supposed to say that, was he? So why did he? Something is terribly wrong with him, he thought.

“Don’t ask me. You were the one who said it.” She pointed an accusing finger at him with an expression he can’t quite pinpoint. Was it anger? No. He could absolutely tell when she’s mad- at the way she would pucker her lips and make that adorable expression that makes him want to kiss her even more. Then, was she embarrassed? Probably.

O.O

Wait another minute.

What?

Even more? He want to kiss her even more?!

Seriously? What’s wrong with him today? He’s extremely not in his right mind. He’s having some weird thoughts and to make it worse, he’s having those weird thoughts about Choi Yuna, his childhood best friend who decided that it would be fun to call him at 2 in the morning just to tell him about her so-called perfect plan to make her ultimate crush notice her. Heck, she even made him cancel his game plans with his hyungs just to help her carry out her crazy idea of a ‘notice me, oppa’ tactic.

“Oy!” She smacked him lightly on the head which brought him back to his senses. “Are you listening?”

Blinking several times to regain back his focus, Jungkook could notice that his friend wasn’t looking at him directly while mumbling incoherent words, obviously trying to lighten the tense atmosphere between them. Instead of eye contact, she was facing wherever as long as it wasn’t not aimed at him. He could find her actions amusing but what caught his interest was the fact that Choi Yuna was flushed. He could obviously make out the red tint that adorned her cheeks and that alone caused him to smile or possibly even grin mentally. Choi Yuna has never been, in their entire lives, been flustered at him before which made him think she sees him not as a boy but as a fellow teenage girl who she thinks she can just sleep with on the bed while wearing just an oversized shirt with only her underwear beneath. Taking advantage of the sight before him, at the flushed Yuna, Jungkook opted to mess with the red-faced girl for a bit more. This opportunity was once in a blue moon. He might as well enjoy it.

“I’m perfectly listening, babe,” he replied with his trademark smile that could melt the hearts of many in just seconds before sending a wink over to his partner’s direction. Unfortunately for him, Yuna has long been immune to his charms after years of being by his side almost all the time. Props to her for accomplishing to overlook his flirting if you could ever call it that. However, he couldn’t help but notice more the blush that remained evident in her cheeks even after shooting him a glare.

“Could you please stop it with all the teasing?”

He let out a quiet laughter showing his amusement at the current circumstance happening between the two of them before pulling Yuna closer to him once again as he rested his left arm on her shoulders and dragging both their forms to lean back comfortably on the couch. “Arasseo. There’s no need to get all grumpy now.”

The young woman pouted as she began to relax in his arms once again. “You’re annoying.”

“But you love me anyway.”

Yuna, who was caught off guard by his words for the second time today, looked up to meet his gaze with a questioning look of her own as if she’s doubting whether to trust what she just heard or not. She’s quite sure she hasn’t misheard him, though.

“I meant that as a friend.”

“Oh.”

Satisfied, Yuna nodded in agreement before resting her head back to his chest for support. What was this feeling he had though? Disappointment? Was he disappointed at what he just said? He just said it himself. There’s no point in getting disappointed in one’s own words, right?

“Wrong,” a voice in his head whispered.

Wait. What?

Jungkook shook his head to erase the lingering thought only for it to come out futile. What was he thinking? Choi Yuna was obviously clouding his mind nonstop even before this day and there was nothing he could do to help it. When she started invading his thoughts? He wasn’t sure either. In fact, for no reason at all, he would just sometimes suddenly think of the said girl for who knows how long now. While in class, he would wonder what she’s probably doodling in her notebook or if she’s still absentmindedly clicking her pen- a habit she acquired during middle school. Even at home, heck, his mind would still wander off to her. He’d ask himself what she’s probably doing- if she’s updating the scrapbook she made as a dedication to that figure skater whom she adores the most or if she’s spending some quality time with Haechi, her beloved pet dog. There are also moments in which he’d feel the urge to just call her and hear her voice. Surely, the heavens must be laughing at him for trying so hard to resist the nagging feeling every damn time. He was suffering and it is all because of his stupid best friend who wouldn’t leave his mind alone.

“Anyway, aren’t we supposed to continue acting?” she suggested as a means of shaking all awkwardness away.

Also remembering exactly what they came here for, Jungkook nodded slightly before positioning himself for their so-called ‘couple play’- a name Yuna made up for this event. He could still recall how excited she was while telling him all about this plan of hers at two in the morning. Unfortunately…wait…what? No, it’s not ‘unfortunately’. It’s more of like astonishingly. Yeah, astonishingly, Choi Yuna, his 12-year friend, liked someone. Bu what’s more shocking is the fact that the guy is not just some someone. He turned out to be Lee Minhyuk, their senior, who happened to be seven years older than them. Sure, he couldn’t exactly say that it’s entirely wrong to admire someone older but Choi Yuna? Seriously, just hearing the words ‘Choi Yuna likes someone who’s seven years older than her’ made Jungkook doubt the reality of his world as to whether he’s either in a very long dream or if everyone but him has gone completely haywire. The strings to the idea just wouldn’t seem to connect for him.

“Or am I just in denial?”

Shocked from his sudden absurd thought once again, Jungkook shook his head to some extent to remove whatever weird virus it is that has gone into his mind.

“What’s wrong?” Yuna asked in concern as she sat up straighter to get a better view of her companion who seemed to be in deep conflict with his own thoughts.

“Huh?”

“You were shaking your head. Does it hurt?”

“Oh, it’s actually nothing. I just…I…” Should he tell that she’s the reason behind his actions? Heck, no. That’ll be like asking for more years in a cell after being released from prison. It’s reckless.

Trying to think of a reasonable excuse, Jungkook looked around to avoid meeting Yuna’s gaze for he knew that doing so would only make him stutter even more.

“Jungkook, are you seriously okay? You look tense.”

“Yeah, I’m…wait. What?!” In shock, Jungkook stood up in a flash as he scanned the area, completely looking for something. Or was it someone?

“Now what? Is something bothering you?” Yuna asked once more as she held on to the sleeves of the boy’s left arm, obviously trying to get him to sit back down.

“Since when?!” Jungkook frustratingly questioned no one, to be exact.

“Since when what?”

Taking a deep exhale to calm his nerves, Jungkook mentally slapped himself for his stupidity before taking Yuna’s face in both his hand to turn them to the location of a specific table in the café.

“What exactly am I supposed to be looking at?”

Quite exasperated, Jungkook massaged his temples as he continued to answer her. “That’s my point. Aren’t we supposed to be making the person who WAS sitting in that table notice you? Isn’t our plan supposed to be called ‘Act like a couple in front of Minhyuk-oppa so that he’ll feel jealous and realize his feelings for Choi Yuna’? he asked in exasperation as he pointed a finger at the direction of an unoccupied table.

“Yeah…and?”

Jungkook facepalmed himself before taking a deep breath once more. He swore this girl would be the death of him someday.

“Well, to tell you honestly…YOUR MINHYUK IS NO LONGER INSIDE THIS DAMN CAFÉ!” Jungkook bursted out in complete frustration as he thought of how pointless all their previous efforts were. It’s like everything has just gone down the drain in just a blink of an eye. He sacrificed his ‘no to crappy romance policy’ in life and his game plans for nothing. He agreed to be her ‘pretend boyfriend’ for today even though the plan’s entirely against his will just because he wanted to not let her down. And now what? He had to kiss all that he has worked for goodbye.

“Shouldn’t you be happy, then? You can finally get Yuna for yourself.”

“Shut up.”

“What? I haven’t even said anything!” Pissed at his outburst that earned them quite a few pair of eyes, Yuna also retorted in annoyance.

This was not what Jungkook expected this day to turn out. How could a lovey-dovey scene turn into a complicated argument? This was the reason he wasn’t keen on the idea of dating, one moment you’re all sweet and romantic then before you know it, you’re shouting at each other for reasons undefined.

“I wasn’t talking to you.”

“Oh yeah?” Yuna turned a bit so that she was fully facing Jungkook as she also placed both hands on her hips, an effort to mock him. “And who might you be talking to?”

“It’s none of your business. Besides, don’t change the topic here. We’re talking about how you made me waste my time for nothing.”

“So, you mean to say that being with me is wasting your time? Well, I’m sorry to have asked you for your help then. I promise I won’t do it again. Ever,” she replied sarcastically as she tried to hold back the tears of frustration that’s beginning to become evident.

“That’s not what-”

“No. That’s exactly what you’re saying. I’m glad you’re honest with me though even if I haven’t been completely honest with you myself.”

“Huh?” It’s now verified to him that his friend is obviously having that time of the month now. She’s never been the type to be this emotional.

Yuna let out a bitter chuckle before staring straight into Jungkook’s brown orbs. “You see…Minhyuk-oppa was just an alibi.”

“Wha-”

“I just happened to know he would be here this time today and so I decided to take advantage of it. I devised a plan that would seem reasonable enough that I could try and get my so-called ‘ultimate crush’ to notice me and perhaps make him realize how sweet of a woman I can be without him being aware of what’s exactly happening.”

“I’m not getting this.”

“Of course, you don’t. You have been clueless as ever, Jeon Jungkook,” she voiced out, still in frustration, as she pointed an accusing finger to his chest. “You never once cared about who liked you or not. You were always so naïve. You never stopped to notice me.” As she let out her last statement, she began to lower her voice and look down on the floor to avoid meeting his gaze for good.

Silence engulfed both teenagers as neither Jungkook nor Yuna could think of the proper words to say.

“I notice you,” Jungkook said in attempt to lessen the awkwardness. He thanked God that only a few were inside the café and most don’t seem to mind them because if there had been more eyes at them, he swore he could’ve fainted right here and now. Honestly, even at the moment. He wanted the ground to swallow him.

“No, you don’t.”

“C’mon. Of course, I notice you,” he insisted.

Jungkook inched closer to Yuna before grabbing both her hands in his causing the latter to look up once again.

“How could I not notice you when you seem to be always in my mind?” He might as well just let it out. There’s no use keeping it hidden and truthfully, saying those words was the only solution he can think of to avoid her from getting more upset at him.

Yuna let out a soft giggle at the cheesiness of his words. Who knew that Jungkook was capable of uttering such things?

“Oh. Now you’re laughing?”

“Am I not supposed to laugh? You, Jeon Jungkook, the boy who claims to follow the ‘no to crappy romance policy’ just said the crappiest thing ever.”

Unconsciously, a smile made its way to Jungkook’s lips as he marveled at Yuna who continued to be astonished at what he just said. At least she forgot how mad she was now. Anyway, was he really that hopeless in romance before that even a slightly cheesy comment would get such a reaction from her?

“You know what, all these wasn’t part of the plan.” She hit his arm lightly, obviously returning to the bubbly Yuna he’s used to.

He crossed his arms and threw her another mischievous smirk. “Really? I thought you said you had everything planned out.”

She rolled her eyes and plopped back down on their previous seat before looking back at him. “Well, obviously. You weren’t properly cooperating.”

“Well, obviously,” Jungkook imitated as he, too, sat back down. “It turned out you had another plan in mind aside from the one you told me over the phone.”

“What do you want me to do then? Tell you the entire plan? Like, ‘Oh hey, Jungkook! I’m planning to have you help me pretend to make some random guy jealous so that in turn, you’ll be jealous’.”

“Does that even make sense?”

“Exactly.”

A moment of silence passed after and it was starting to grow on Jungkook on how quiet they have become. This was so not them. Whenever they were together, ever since childhood, there would never be dead air. They would always find something to talk about no matter how useless it may seem. So, what’s happening just spelled out ‘awkward’ in a whole new level.

“So…” they both voiced out in unison.

“You go first,” Jungkook suggested with the gentlemanliness in him trying to show off.

“Well,” Yuna began before taking a deep breath.

Jungkook, as a sign of urging her to go on, raised his eyebrow.

Another deep breath came out of Yuna as she struggled to find the right words to say.

“You know, you-”

“Honestly…Idon’tknowwhattosayafterallthathashappenedbutIguessthere’snodenyingitnowthatIjusttoldyouwhatIreallyfeltaboutyou.Istilldocherishourfriendshipsoifeveryoufindmyconfessionannoying,justforgetaboutitandtreatmethesame-likeyoualwaysdo,asafriend,thatis.”

Dumbfounded at how fast she was talking, Jungkook tried hard to process every word although he could barely make out most of it because in all honesty, he didn’’t even bother understanding. His thoughts were consumed by the fact that Choi Yuna would be a great rapper if given the chance. Heck, he could even learn from his hyung, Namjoon.

“Oi! What are you smiling about, pabo?”

Instead of answering her, Jungkook, who was back to his senses now, inched closed and pinched both his partner’s cheeks. “Stop being too adorable or I might just kiss you right now. No joke intended,” he said as another attempt to tease the girl.

Rubbing her aching face, Yuna threw Jungkook a mean look. “Try me.”

1…

2…

3…

Immediately after processing what she just said, Yuna placed both her hands to cover . She, too, was shocked at the boldness of her statement. That wasn’t supposed to be what she was trying to say. That was supposed to be left unsaid. Now, it isn’t only Jungkook who needs his mind checked for any presence of sanity left. She,too, should tag along with him.

What was worst in the situation though was Jungkook who evidently did not expect such an answer. What was he supposed to do then? Go for it? Feign ignorance? Faint? Run? With so many options, he’s sure he’s on the verge of exploding. With his eyes that looked as if they were about to fall off any moment and with his mouth left gaping as if waiting for a fly to fly through, Jungkook was driven out of his right mind for who knows how many times today that what would only come to light in his senses are the words he was so familiar with after all that happened.

Wait.

What?

 


I’m not quite satisfied with how I ended this oneshot. I had so many planned endings in mind but I just happen to go with this. If ever you have something to comment, just leave them and I’ll be sure to read through them and reply if possible. Any comments are accepted. I hope you enjoy reading this rushed oneshot though.

 

P.S. This story is inspired by Jungkook’s popular expression: JUNGSHOOK.