...now kiss me

St. James Ballroom

Yongsun wore her prettiest dress.  White, chiffon, the skirt was fitted and hemmed right above her knees.  Her hair was curled and shined, falling in elegant waves over her shoulder.  The crown of her head adorned with a little flower her friend Wheein had picked for her before sending her off on what was supposed to be her lucky night.  

 

On the arm of a tall handsome man, she walked into St. James Ballroom.  They approached their table, and she blushed, pushing a strand of hair behind her ears, as she watched the couple beside them take their seats, with the man kindly pulling out the chair for his woman.  Yongsun stared down at her toes expectantly, only to feel her heart plummet when her date sat down without giving her any consideration.  She took her own seat a bit sullenly, pouted until the singer introduced herself.

 

Her lip curled as the bass started plucking to a certain tune.  Then she cackled, a group of dapper looking female dancers flanked her side, and the energy in the room went up about 100.  Yongsun felt a chill run up her spine.  The tips of her ears got hot.  People were bouncing in their seats, not playing the part of indifferent aristocrats as they were supposed to.  At the table next to her, the gentleman in the suit was bobbing his head, grinning goofily at his partner as if suggesting "would you like to dance with me?"

 

Yongsun looked up at her date cutely.  She puffed up her cheeks, leaned in close near the bridge of the song, "now kiss me" and stumbled over his back as he leaned forward on the table, clearly more interested in the singer than his own date.

 

Yongsun huffed.  

 

The trumpets flared up into the music, her skin prickled.  She was not a very good dancer, but sitting here idle while the band was kicking up an was not her preferred use of time.  She glanced over at her right, saw the haughty woman feign tossing her drink at her date, who was leaning in again, this time aiming for a kiss to her cheek.

 

"That's it," Yongsun muttered.  She threw down her napkin, stormed over to the table adjacent, grabbed the man by his skinny little arm and dragged him onto the dance floor.  

 

The singer smiled at them, waddled her legs, and Yongsun took the hint.  She wrapped the man's arm around her waist, grabbed onto his shoulders, and lead him into a swing.

 

When their eyes conencted, Yongsun balked.

 

"You're... you're a woman?"

 

The gentleman -ahem- gentlewoman smiled back at her.  "Pleasure to meet you darlin'"  She took Yongsun's hand, kissed her knuckles gently, and then twirled her around.

 

Yongsun laughed despite herself.  As they transitioned back into promenade, she ran her hands over the woman's stomach curiously.  "This jacket makes you look a little big."

 

The woman shrugged, blushing.  "I couldn't find something that fit right."  Yongsun halted their dance for a moment, completely ignoring the fuming expressions of both of their escorts for the night.  She pushed the jacket off over the woman's shoulders, tossed it carelessly into the distance.  Getting a better look at her body, lithe, but firm, neatly kept in a crisp button down, Yongsun grinned.  "Do you work out?"

 

Yongsun was even worse at flirting than she was at dancing, but the woman's answer to her question was to pick her up, flip her over her shoulder, and then get her back into hold again.  Yongsun laughed in delight.  "What's your name, gorgeous?"

 

"Gorgeous is fine," she joked, "but Byulyi is also fine."

 

Yongsun smiled, tilted her head sideways in affection.  "You sure are fine."

 

Byulyi screeched out a laugh, drew Yongsun in close, and started leading her through an intricate swing step sequence.  "You're a good dancer," Byulyi sings.  Yongsun shakes her head.  Byulyi twirls her around again, and then pulls her in so she can speak directly into Yongsun's ear.  "You're a good dancer," she says again, softly, despite the blaring music.

 

Yongsun whispers too.  "I wasn't always good... I guess I just needed a good partner."

 

Byulyi beams.  

 

Before she can flip her again, a hand, rough, and meaty, grabs Yongsun by the wrist.

 

"What the hell are you doing?" he growls.

 

Yongsun scoffs.  Byulyi rears up her fist, "don't touch her like that!"  But he laughs, derisively.  "Move along little lady, this business is only between a man and a woman."

 

Okay, enough.

 

Yongsun shoved him with all her might.  He stumbled backwards, crashing into a table.  The sharp ring of shattered glass fills the air.  The band screeches to a halt, and before anything else can go wrong, Yongsun grabs Byulyi's hand and pulls her out through the back door.  Before they escape into the night, Yongsun stops them right under the glowing lightbulbs at the mouth of the building, and pulls Byulyi in by her shirt collar.

 

"Kiss me?" she asks, just an inch short of Byulyi's lips.

 

Though the music has long since stopped, Byulyi feels something surge through her veins, propelling her into Yongsun's arms, and finally their lips meet, the final notes of a high, sweet, melody.