4/?

Blood Bank

The fluttering of the pages comes to a stop once Daehyun settles himself in front of Youngjae, wearing an expressionless look. The vampire has been behaving oddly these days whatnot with ignoring Youngjae completely and staying by the boy’s side without taking a break. Honestly, the behaviour irks Youngjae however, at some point he learns to ignore it. Aside from Daehyun, Himchan has been missing from class for the whole two weeks without giving Youngjae the slightest hint of his whereabouts. Amidst all the missed calls and unanswered messages, Youngjae started to lose his patience. Once they enter a new week, Youngjae never bothers trying to reach his friend. If Himchan wants to be so freaking mysterious then whatever.

Slamming the book shut, Youngjae stands and heads for the counter when he hears the number of his table called. He returns with a tray of drinks and a plate of muffins and carefully places them on the table, Daehyun staring at him all the while. The silence between them is honestly awkward. He is yet in a position where he feels comfortable around Daehyun and with how Daehyun is, it might take longer than the usual. The buzzing of fan above them and the clinking of utensils are the only things echoing in his ears. He takes a big bite of the muffin and quietly moans at the way the texture almost melts in his mouth followed by the sweet and creamy taste of the chocolate. “Are you not eating?” Youngjae questions, glancing back and forth between the man in front of him and the muffins.

“I don’t eat.. muffins.”

“What?”

We  don’t eat.. human food.”

Snorting, Youngjae wipes off the crumbs with a tissue and swallows before taking a sip of his drink. “That sounds funny, but understandable.” He states and takes another bite. Unlike the café he visited with Himchan last time, the café they’re currently at is a little different in terms of interior design and menu. This café doesn’t have Youngjae’s favourite pastry but at least they have amazing muffins. Jazz pours out of the jukebox standing against the wall and the aroma of fresh baked lasagne fills in the café. Their knees almost touch under the narrow table and Daehyun’s usual steady gaze flickers from Youngjae to the muck on the table beside them- left by the previous customers. He removes his elbow and sits a little straighter; looking like a wind up doll.

“I’m hungry.” Daehyun speaks, the words sending shivers down Youngjae’s back. The former takes one last bite of muffin and wordlessly wipes his hand before looking around him with caution. Now that he thinks about it, it’s been almost a month since Daehyun last fed off him so it’s not surprising that the vampire is craving for some blood now. But seriously, now of all time? When he’s busy enjoying something good and finally able to lift his mind off his assignment and Himchan? Sighing, Youngjae quickly finishes his drink and goes to the counter to pay for his food, requesting for the rest of his muffins to be packed. He gestures at Daehyun, asking the latter to wait for him outside and his head drops with a thud on the counter once Daehyun left, surprising the person behind the counter who looks at him with worry.

A minute later, a waiter comes out from the kitchen and hands him a paper bag with his muffins in it and he leaves promptly after thanking them. “Are we going to do this here or at home?”

“Which do you prefer?” Daehyun asks, shaking his head as he winces.

“Home then,” Youngjae mutters disappointingly upon realising he’s going to have to walk past the living room where his parents are probably going to be at. Knowing how they are, they always glue their asses on the stinky couch instead of going outside for some fresh air, especially that old man. Youngjae is snapped out of his train of thoughts when he is suddenly tugged back. Anxiousness grows within him when he finds himself trapped in Daehyun’s hold and when he turns to his left, he sees an old man with his head down walking his dog- the animal growling and barking once, twice. Holy shi- he’s going to see us! However, a quick second before the old man looks up, both Daehyun and Youngjae disappears into thin air; leaving the dog to stare with its head titled due to bewilderedness.

Water dripping everywhere, floor shifting and creaking under their weight and undefinable source of darkness draped over them. Where the hell are they? “Just, hold on..” Daehyun groans, resting his head on Youngjae’s back which makes the boy goes rigid upon the contact- awkwardness growing within him. “Fucʞ,” He hears Daehyun swears and a shortly after, their surroundings change and Youngjae can only blink out of surprise as his eyes take in the familiar sight of his bedroom walls and ceiling. As much as he’s glad he doesn’t have to meet his stepfather’s face, his current position isn’t comfortable either. He dares not to say a word once he hears Daehyun growling faintly and his body twitching uncontrollably. The feeling of someone’s heavy breath ghosting over his nape has the boy shivering and he squirms, trying to see if he can escape from the hold only to sigh in defeat soon after and by then Daehyun is already sniffing and nuzzling his nose at Youngjae’s ear and neck.

Shifting uncomfortably, Youngjae softly mutters, “Hey..” as he tries to uncurl Daehyun’s fingers. Fucʞ, this guy is strong. “Can you let go of me? This position is really…uncomfortable.” Much to his disappointment, the words don’t seem to go through Daehyun as the latter continues with his ministration. The boy clicks his tongue in distaste when he feels the latter pulling at the collar of his shirt and he swears to god if he finds the fabric stretched by the time this ends, Daehyun is going to get it. Something cold grazes over the skin and the boy flinches out of reflex when pain floods his system. His head spins for a good five minute before it clears up once Daehyun starts lapping the dripping blood. Youngjae wonders if there will ever come a time when he won’t feel dizzy over getting his blood out, but then again, we’re talking about blood here..

The movements made by Daehyun are the only thing keeping Youngjae awake and he shakes his head to rid the daze from his mind. Although Daehyun is no longer wrapped around him, the latter still has a hand on Youngjae’s back- guiding the former to his bed -and another hand wrapped around Youngjae’s wrist. The feeling of something soft under is so inviting and Youngjae slowly takes his jacket off, throwing it somewhere before he plants his face on the pillow with a soft satisfying sigh. “Wait....” Youngjae suddenly croaks out while tugging Daehyun’s shirt. “Shoes.” He points at his feet, flailing them in the air before they drop with a dull thud. Daehyun on the other hand watches the whole thing with mild amusement and glances over to the boy in bed when the former mutters incoherent words as he curls; tucking his hands under his chin and pulling his knees up to his chest.

Lazily, he takes his shoes off before moving on to Youngjae’s, grunting under his breath in distaste when Youngjae pulls his legs back a couple of time, making the job a bit harder for Daehyun. He could’ve just hold Youngjae’s legs by force however doing that might hurt the weak human and he doesn’t want the boy to wake up and tries to smack him on the head. Putting the shoes by the glass sliding door, Daehyun pulls the curtain close; finding it better when it’s dark and picks up the fallen paper bag with muffins inside from the floor- placing it on the bedside table. Looking around, his eyes stop for a moment on the small bookshelf near the bathroom door and curiosity piques his interest. Throwing one last glance over his shoulder to make sure Youngjae is indeed sleeping, a smirk makes its way to his lips and he takes two large strides before he finds himself standing in front of the shelf. Dozens of books stacked in neat rows, all orderly arranged and aligned back to back where their insides could not be judged by their covers.

Well aren’t you neat for a boy. Daehyun thinks, running his fingers on the spine of each book. Some of them looks old, torn and dry as if they’ve survived from a fire and some are dusty while emitting a scent of old books. Oh, how much the smell gives Daehyun a sense of reminiscence. Tapping a finger on one of the book or what seems like a photo album, he quietly pulls it out; flipping the back to the front when he notices some of the words on the cover has faded. Shrugging, the vampire returns to the bed with the first few pages on display and chuckles to himself at the sight of baby pictures of Youngjae.

In one of them, Youngjae’s eyes meet his mother’s and he has a huge smile on his face. His small face glows innocently and his miniature fingers grasp his mother’s, tightly. He looked like a bundle of joy.

Flipping to another few pages, he stops short at the sight of Youngjae, probably around 5 or 6 years old, hugging a man by the leg with a pout on his lips. He looks like he doesn’t want to let go of the man at all. Eyes grazing over the unfamiliar man in the picture, he starts wondering why the man currently sitting in the living room below isn’t in any of the pictures. He continues going through the rest of the album, curiosity peaks within him when he realises all of the pictures in the album only has the unfamiliar man in them. He shuts the album close and leans back against the frame of the bed. Upon feeling the mattress shifts a little, he turns to the right, stilling when he comes face to face with Youngjae. He can hear the sound of heart thumping in accordance with slow, shallow breaths from the boy. Serenity is plastered across his face as he sleeps.

Unlike during his consciousness where he always looks like he’s done with everything and constantly taking a sip of life as he drinks his coffee, Youngjae looks rather angelic, his face as fresh as dew drops and his features softer in his sleep. His long and dark eyelashes flutter against his cheeks softly and the boy hums in his sleep before his eyebrows suddenly drops accompanied with rapid eye movements. Cold sweats start breaking out from the sleeping boy and occasionally he whimpers causing Daehyun to stare out of worry. Reaching out for Youngjae’s shoulder, Daehyun gives a gentle shake in hopes it would wake the boy up. “Hey,” He whispers, the shaking growing stronger as Youngjae starts to flinch and puts his hands over his head as if he’s sheltering from something. “Youngjae.” Daehyun calls, a little loudly than before and shakes the boy slightly harder upon receiving no response.  “Young-Fucʞ.” He swears, looking at the sleeping boy with wide eyes when he almost got punched in the face.

Pressing both Youngjae’s hands down beside his head, Daehyun clambers up and hovers over the boy all the while calling his name. “Wake the hell up.” Daehyun heaves in frustration. A few minutes of struggling causes the boy below him to breathe heavily due to fatigue whereas Daehyun is still his darn best to wake the boy up and nudges the boy by the cheek. On the spur of moment, Youngjae’s eyes flung wide; each iris a perfect orb of rich chocolate. After a second or two, his lips tremble and he starts to choke on his own breathing before tears begin to pool in his eyes- taking Daehyun aback. “Are you okay..?” He asks out of genuine concern

The tears burst forth like water from a dam, spilling down Youngjae’s face and his chin trembles like a small child. Moment by moment, the tears fall down his chin- wetting the bed sheets and creating dark spots. Gently, Daehyun pulls the boy up, noticing the way Youngjae looks so lost and out of it. “What happened?” He tries, tilting his head to the side to take a better look of the boy. Upon receiving no answer and instead sees the former’s shoulders shakes, Daehyun subconsciously wraps an arm around Youngjae’s shoulder; subsequently pulling the boy into his chest and gives awkward pats. He goes rigid for a moment when the boy sobs into his chest unceasingly, hands clutching at his cloak. With no other choice, Daehyun holds the former in silence, rocking him slowly as he feels tears soaking his chest.

A minute or two into the silence saves for the soft cry, a hiss escapes from Youngjae’s lips taking both of them by surprise. Moving away, Daehyun watches as Youngjae gingerly pulls one of his leg up, a pained look present on his face. Without a word, he slowly pulls his jeans up revealing a red bruise lining along his calf and around the ankle. The short silence that dawns right after is thick and heavy and Youngjae finds it hard to keep calm, whatnot with the nightmare he just had and the fact that the bruise resembles so much of what happened in his dream. Daehyun on the other hand stares at the welts wordlessly before turning to Youngjae. “What happened?” He questions monotonously, fingers curled up into fists and his jaw locked with tension.

“I don’t know,” Youngjae squeaks, averting his eyes and releases a shaky breath when the tears stop. “It was just a dream.” He whispers; the words sounding more like he’s trying to convince himself that it is indeed just a dream. When he looks back at Daehyun, the latter is glowering and suddenly he disappears, leaving Youngjae totally puzzled of what’s happening.

 

 

 

“You’re here so soon.” The elder speaks with his back on a very frustrated Daehyun.

“You didn’t tell me it’s going to be this soon.”

“It usually happens the least when you expect it to.” He states. The silence lingers in the air, thick and heavy, like a blanket. Daehyun knows the elder is stating the truth yet he can’t help but to feel frustrated over the fact that he fails to see it coming. With frustration swelling inside him, he heaves a deep breath as he tries to think of a way to solve the incoming problems. “You can try to find them.” The elder suddenly says, breaking the silence with his words. He turns, giving Daehyun a view of his side profile before his penetrating dark set of eyes flicker over to Daehyun with a warning. “I did say that I won’t be holding any responsibilities for what’s about to come. You have to deal with it on your own.”

“I understand.” Daehyun finally says after a moment. He gives the elder a bow and walks out of the room, his every step feeling so heavy. He stumbles upon Yongguk in the hallway and the older male says nothing- joining Daehyun by his side instead. In his head, it’s like there are three people around a table. One is negative and dark. His voice shakes with fear as he advises against the move, “you will fail”, “stay still. Do nothing. Let him die”. The second one is full of confidence, sternly agreeing; “don’t worry. It will all go well”, “aren’t you one of the greatest child of him? Be confident”. And the last one is leaning against his seat, a blank expression on his face yet a playful tone accompanying his words, “this is going to take a lot of effort and time”, “let it be~ why are you worried over a human?”.

The frustration builds up within him and he heaves deeply. All three of them have stated their positions and are now looking at him as they await for his choice. The pitter patter of the rain snaps him out of his train of thoughts and he looks up to see the front door wide open, the outside world welcoming him coldly. The sky is grey and the clouds are heavy, the path is full of puddles of murky water and the rain soaks the earth delightfully. He steps out and feels the droplets run down his face as a thin layer. “Be safe.” Yongguk says, a small smile plastered on his face before the door shuts softly. With a decision made, Daehyun leaves the mansion with one destination clear in his mind.

By the time he arrives, he sees Youngjae sitting at the bureau with a pencil tucked behind his ear and a pen in between his fingers. A pure look of concentration is evident on his face as he flips through the pages of his book and jot down the notes. His eyes flit from one point to another before the boy stills and slowly turns at the glass sliding door. Not so surprisingly, he jumps in his seat at the sight of Daehyun standing by the balcony afore to appearing in his room. “Please don’t do that.” Youngjae pleads referring to Daehyun’s sudden appearance. He returns to his work soon enough while Daehyun’s eyes flicker towards Youngjae’s neck. The place where he drank his blood from is now a blossoming purple and unconsciously he stretches a hand out; poking the spot which surprises the boy who looks at him with wide, questioning eyes. “What?” He huffs and frowns as he rubs the spot a couple of times. “Oh, please don’t go through my things without my permission.”

“Huh?”

“You looked at my album, didn’t you? Please don’t do that again.” Youngjae says, pointing at the discoloured album before looking back at Daehyun. “If you’re curious, just ask me. Don’t go through my things without telling me.”

“It’s not like you have anything to hide.”

“I don’t but it’s really uncomfortable, Daehyun.” The boy says, his voice straining with annoyance as he repeatedly taps his pen on the desk. Shrugging, Daehyun drops himself on the bed, ignoring the way Youngjae throws a glance over his shoulder out of irritation due to having his bed messed up just after getting it done. The minutes that past by is unconscionably long. Occasionally, Youngjae would massage his temples as he glances at his notes before moving on to a new topic. Daehyun on the other hand let the warmth of the room envelope him and he frowns when the image of three persons sitting at the table from before reappears in his mind. He has to make a choice and each has their own pros and cons. Shutting his head momentarily, he lets his head loll to the side and when he opens his eyes back, Youngjae is looking at him.

“Were you sleeping?”

“No. I was thinking.”

“Oh.” The boy mutters, eyes still trained on Daehyun’s face. “Do vampires sleep?” He asks out of genuine curiosity. Quirking an eyebrow up, amusement twinkles in Daehyun’s eyes before he chuckles, deep and rich.

“Only when we need to replenish our energy.”

“Do you guys sleep in coffins?”

“What? No. Humans need to stop watching weird stuff.” Daehyun remarks while shaking his head. He sits up and leans against the wall. “Since when did you start having the dreams?”

Blinking, Youngjae puts his stuff away and turns his chair around fully. “You mean the nightmares?” Youngjae asks, biting his lower lips as he recalls the day he first had a weird dream. “I think on our first encounter.. although the first few times it was just you.. It got scary after you drank from me the second time.”

They were clearly trying to find him through his dreams but how the fucʞ? Daehyun frowns, ruffling his hair exasperatedly and goes back to laying down on the bed. He tries to remember if there’s ever a time where he let his whereabouts known to them but nothing seems to come up. However, it can also mean that they’ve been watching him since day one. Why would they, though? Grunting under his breath, Daehyun’s train of thoughts come to an end at the sound of chair creaking near him. Eyes flashing towards Youngjae, the said boy freezes in his movement- looking like a cat caught in action of stealing something. “W-what?” He stutters and relaxes.

“Nothing.” Daehyun answers. He plans to keep his mouth shut for the rest of the night when Youngjae’s words go over his mind once again. A particular sentence catches his attention and a smirk makes its way to his lips. He looks irritatingly smug. “You’ve dreamt of me?”

“It wasn’t anything pleasant!” Youngjae defends.

“But you still dreamt of me.”

“It wasn’t my fault that you appeared in my dream after forcefully drinking my blood. Who wouldn’t be terrified?”

“You still dreamt of me.” Daehyun points out once more, the smile on his face growing bigger and bigger. Who the fucʞ cares if the dream wasn’t pleasant. Youngjae still dreamt of him and he’s going to make sure the next time Youngjae dreams again, it’s going to be one pleasant dream.


Word count :3580 words

 

I'm sorry for being so late at updating (again) I had a writer block and couldn't type anything.
My document would always come out blank in the end, every single day. 
This chapter.. a lot compared to the ones before, i'm sorry about that.
It's shorter too @_@

I have the next chapter written out in my head, I just need to know how to put them in words x)
Thanks for reading and again, sorry if it's not up to your expectation. Maybe I should stick to one shots instead of chaptered fics lol