one

Something Good Can Work

 

“You got back safely?” Sungyeol asked his younger sister over the phone on their way back to the dorm. He waited for an answer on the other end while he fought off the hand of Woohyun who was currently trying to steal the phone away. s had often hijacked phone calls from his sister and they usually asked many questions all at once like “how old are you?” “what do you look like?” “who’s your favorite in Infinite?” which she usually just answered with a laugh and said “Tell my brother I said goodbye and I’ll call him later.” She would hang up and they would pout to Sungyeol complaining that he was too secretive about his dongsaeng.  They were tired hearing about everyone’s brothers and Sungyeol was the only one with a sister, a younger one at that.   

“Because I know exactly how you will act and I will not let my sister be a victim to your greasy ways and raging hormones.” Even all the old family pictures had no sign of his sister, only his brother. “She studied abroad since she was young,” was his only explanation. She was a mystery to all the members and all they knew was her name, Sunhee, and that she was the youngest.

 

“Okay, get to sleep early tonight. You need to be wide awake for your first day your new school.” He said goodbye and goodnight before hanging up.

“Your sister is back in Korea?” asked the genuinely caring leader, Sunggyu.

Sungyeol nodded and decided to tell them seeing as she would probably visit sometime soon. “She’s starting college tomorrow.”

This got everyone’s attention. “So your sister is nineteen?!”

He let out a deep sigh, “No. She’s seventeen, she’s entering early.”

“Woah, is she like a genius or something?”

Sungyeol thought for a moment. She was admitted on a dance scholarship and was considered somewhat of a dance prodigy, but she was also planning on double majoring in engineering. Knowing that most of the member’s ideal types included being a good dancer and being smart he decided to keep that detail to himself. “No, just the school in America must have been really difficult and qualified her for college.”

“Oh…” they all responded in unison.

“Well tell her she’s welcome to visit any time,” said the leader once more.

The other members nodded in agreement.  Maybe they won’t be so bad meeting her, Sungyeol thought as they got out of the car.

 

Sunhee walked onto the large campus amongst all the other incoming freshmen. She rolled her suitcase behind her with one hand and held a large duffle bag on her shoulder. She read the paper in her right hand once more making sure she was at the right place.  The upperclassman at the registration asked for her name.

“Lee Sunhee.”

The girl handed her a thick packet of papers. “Here’s your class schedule, meal plan, and dormitory information if you are staying on campus.”

Sunhee quickly leafed through her papers and could not find her room key and information. “Um, excuse me? There seems to be a mistake. I don’t have a room assigned to me and I’m supposed to be living on campus.”

The girl behind the table seemed to have an apologetic look as she said, “It seems like administration screwed up and double booked some rooms. We’re terribly sorry, but your on-campus living fee will be reimbursed. There are some apartments near campus for students like you and there’s a large bulletin board with people looking for roommates. I hope everything works out.”

Sunhee sighed slightly before thanking the girl and walking away. What was she going to do? Classes didn’t start for another week to give the freshmen time to settle into their dorms, which Sunhee didn’t have.

She leaned against her suitcase and dropped her duffle bag onto the ground next to her feet. Desperately trying to find a solution to her problem, she was startled by her buzzing phone in her pocket.

“How is your first day so far?” asked her older brother.

“Terrible,” she sighed once more. “My housing fell through and I have no idea where to stay. The scholarship was supposed to cover all expenses, including housing so I can’t really rent an apartment yet.”

“What?! Where are you right now? Are you okay?” She rolled her eyes slightly at her overly worrisome brother.

“I’m fine, I’m in the quad and it’s daylight still. I just have to figure out where I’m going to stay until this all works out. Oppa, do you know what hotels there are nearby?”

“What kind of brother would I be to let my little sister stay at a strange and unsafe hotel where she could get murdered?”

“You’re overacting again.”

“I know, but seriously, you can stay with me at my dorm until you find something else. We don’t live that far from your campus.”

“Are you sure?” she hesitated knowing her brother’s unnecessary, but sweet, attempts to keep his groupmates away from her. She honestly didn’t understand why he was so worried; they would most likely see her as a sister.

“Of course, I’m coming with our manager to pick you up right now.”

Sunhee smiled grateful that she would have a place to stay and get to see her brother for the next few days after being away for so long.  “Thank you, Oppa.”

“You only call me ‘oppa’ when you need something. America corrupted you.” He said in a fake annoyed tone.

“I’ll call you that all the time then?”

“I think you owe me at least that.”