Regrets and Broken Promises [Final]

Regrets and Broken Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Year 2045, the 15th of June

    It’s a funeral, Minseok. No one should go alone. Seohyun’s voice echoed inside his

head. Minseok Kim, 27 years old, walked to his rival’s funeral. He stood at a corner, wearing all black, his face showed no emotion. He stared at the open casket. The casket’s silver lining with a bright flower arrangement on top doesn’t seem to fit the occasion. Luhan, Minseok’s old friend lying down lifelessly, as everyone mourned about his death.

Luhan, he thought. Minseok’s hazel eyes, were b with tears, his jet black hair wet from the rain. He remained very stoic. His hair stood up from the back of his neck as he heard sobbing. He turned to look at the person who is crying, only to find that it’s Luhan’s mother, clutching Yifan’ black shirt. Yifan, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean for that to happen to your younger brother. As he watched the scene, he remembered the first time they met, in grade 7.

------

Year 2030, the 8th of September

Kim Minseok, age 12, walked around the school, clutching his mom’s and his older sister’s hand.  It’s the first day of school, what am I going to do?, he thought.As they walked around the school, they eventually reached his homeroom. Well,here goes nothing, he thought.

“You’re going to do great, Minseok. I just know it,” his sister said, as she handed out his items he needed for school. Minseok shook his head, he doesn’t want to go yet! Before his mom walked away, he grabbed ahold of his mom’s hand, his grip really tight. Minseok felt his cheeks turn red in embarrassment, his eyes were b with tears. He tried to blink them back ,but his efforts went to waste. Minseok started crying. He mumbled out a goodbye to his mom and sister, and quickly wiped his tear stained face. Minseok entered the room ,and sat at the farthest desk as possible.

A boy his age approached Minseok, he seemed to not notice his tears at all. “Hi. I’m Xiao Luhan, or Xiao Lu, and I’m twe-- Hey, why are you crying?? Are you hurt somewhere?” Luhan asks. Even though they just met, his dark brown eyes were filled with worry.“Should I go ask for the teacher? I’ll go get Mr. Yoo if you want. I’ll be right back.” Luhan informed him.

As Luhan started to walk away, Minseok grabbed the hem of his shirt saying, “Wait, d-don’t go. I don’t want to be alone.” Luhan turned around, and patted Minseok’s back.

“Don’t worry, I won’t leave you. From now on, you’re my best friend. I won’t leave my best friend alone. I promise. Don’t forget.”

------

Year 2031, the 14th of December

Minseok’s phone buzzed, startling everyone around him during class. He whispered out an apology, and quietly checked his phone, which showed a new message from Luhan. What did he do now?,Minseok thought.

[Dude, I got detention by Mrs. Kim! I swear she’s after me, do u think u can help me get out of detention? It’s right after lunch, I’ll w8 for u.

-Deer Lu

PS- Chanyeol gave me that nickname and insisted that I use it when I text u.]

    Minseok chuckled as he read Luhan’s text. He soon realized that he had to help Luhan get out of detention. He texted Luhan his reply, saying:

[ lol I think she is.. during foods, she’s been glaring at you the whole time! anywho, I’ll have Chanyeol and Baekhyun help me, is that cool with you? I’ll drag Kyungsoo along to be lookout. Okay, just got called out by teacher, and answered successfully. cya later.

-Min]

    The bell rang and dismissed the class, but Minseok barely paid attention to what his teacher was saying. He zoomed out of class, and talked Chanyeol, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun into the plan.

    “Chanyeol and Baekhyun, you guys distract Mr. Kim, he’s on detention duty today. Kyungsoo, you are on the lookout. Make sure that there are no teachers around when we sneak Luhan out of study hall. Meanwhile, I will sneak Luhan away, call?” Minseok explained, as he distributed the roles from the plan.

    “CALL!” everyone called out.  They headed for the study hall, where Luhan is. Minseok turned to Chanyeol and Baekhyun, and curtly nodded.

    “Oww.. Chanyeol, it hurts!” Baekhyun screamed out in ‘pain’. Chanyeol was supporting Baekhyun and headed inside the room.

    “Mr. Kim? Baekhyun got hurt during Phys Ed, do you think you can help him?” Chanyeol asked, with his infamous puppy eyes. Mr. Kim looked straight at Luhan, who shrugged innocently, before leaving the room. Minseok and Kyungsoo hid when Mr. Kim walked with Baekhyun and Chanyeol to the nurse’s office. Minseok sneaked in the room, making sure that nobody saw him. He sat beside Luhan, who was completely oblivious  that Minseok sat beside him.

    “Deer Lu!” Minseok whispered, his face turned deep red,  feeling a bit uncomfortable with Luhan’s new nickname. Luhan turned around, a bit startled, and looked around.

    “Minseok! Seriously, maybe next time, tell me when you’re here!” Luhan complained. They both stood up, carefully trying not to draw attention to themselves, and sneaked out of the room.

    “Hey Channie! That was pure torture.. Man, Yuri was trying to flirt with me the whole time! I think she doesn’t know that when I have my earphones on, I don’t want to talk to anyone. Geez.” Luhan ranted, as they walked to the school’s courtyard. After eating a little bit of their lunch, Chanyeol returned with Baekhyun, who had an evident scowl on his freckled face. Even from afar, they could hear Chanyeol saying comforting words to Baekhyun.

    “Awww!! We ship it!” The three teased the duo, receiving quite a bit of punches from Baekhyun-- just the weak ones-- and the words ‘Shut up!’, and ‘That’s just sick, man.’ from Chanyeol.

Baekhyun muttered, “Maybe next time, when I tell them that I don’t want medicine, they shouldn’t force me to take it!” The group just laughed at the reason behind Baekhyun’s facial expression. Chanyeol told the story at the nurse’s office, causing Baekhyun to turn a deep shade of red, and Chanyeol with an eye smile behind his glasses.

Luhan turned to Minseok, “Thanks man. I asked for help all of a sudden and yet, you still helped me.” Minseok just stared at Luhan’s small baby face, and chuckled.

“Dude, we made a promise in grade 7 to never leave each other alone. Don’t tell me you forgot..” Minseok said, teasing Luhan.

“No way! I promised that to you, and I have an intentio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter